• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

vocab

Its like the Hearthstone invitational.

Think of it like a Capcom Cup extended over a week. I am guessing each day they play one or two matches (probably long set), not sure on the format.

The three main issues I have with this are the down time, the random pointless "tips" and the unnecessary show girls. Down time is pretty bad and if you are in it for the "hype" this will kill your enthusiasm. The tips are sometimes pretty raunchy and immature... they don't really teach you anything they are more like jokes to fill the down time. And to add, the commentary won't be that good as Tasteless is one of the commentators who isn't a main SF4 commentator.

I still want this to do good though. There's a place for tournaments and a place for a high rollers invitational. Also the production value is top notch and the money is obviously good.

I can see it now.

Mike Ross can you give any tips to our viewers about how to become a better fighting game player

Mike Ross: Well it's simple really, you just have to be more like me.

CurlyW

Evo did 70/20/10 split in 2011 and earlier (so no money for Mike Ross in 2010). 2012 they started paying out Top 8. 2013 they paid out Top 8 again--possibly with a different distribution that gave less for 1st--but didn't have the pot bonus money they had the year prior.

Horseress

I just read that whole chain and I got stupider.

I hate this term, but man, those 09'ers are something....CDjr started (again) this whole conversation, thanking the OG's but saying that now they should "step out".
They raise dem eyebrowns when they see those big payouts for events like MLG's and now this ESGN thing and forget about who's always there to support them
Like, there's an EVO, a SCR, a NEC, a Final Round every year. How many MLG's had fg's? Will ESGN keep supporting the FGC?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I just read that whole chain and I got stupider.

Chris G is spitting the truth. Some of these frauds need to get put in their place, not saying its Papa Valle or anything. MLG is the direction the FGC needs to go to garner a bigger crowd and actually become professional.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I hate this term, but man, those 09'ers are something....CDjr started (again) this whole conversation, thanking the OG's but saying that now they should "step out".
They raise dem eyebrowns when they see those big payouts for events like MLG's and now this ESGN thing and forget about who's always there to support them
Like, there's an EVO, a SCR, a NEC, a Final Round every year. How many MLG's had fg's? Will ESGN keep supporting the FGC?

Now that I read this, I understand senpai.

CurlyW

ESGN is the worst name for a competitive gaming channel, or whatever it is. They want to be like ESPN, but they don't watch ESPN. If they did, they'd know ESPN is horrible and no sane organization would want to be like them at all.

Ryan Ramirez ‏@fchampryan 3m
@jchensor @MKKI_CDjr @NSProGaming @AlexValleSF4 staff only works during events but players work everyday so it should never be equal
O GOD IT HURTS.

I guess the people who run the olympics shouldn't be given better treatment in comparison to the athletes. I mean the athletes work everyday.

edit
Ryan Ramirez ‏@fchampryan 6m
@jchensor @MKKI_CDjr @NSProGaming @AlexValleSF4 no offense but player labor aint equal with casters or staff..

then spooky
Team Spooky ‏@teamspooky 3m
@fchampryan @jchensor @MKKI_CDjr @NSProGaming @AlexValleSF4 lol ok buddy. i like my commitment vs yours any day of the week.

kirblar

ESGN is the worst name for a competitive gaming channel, or whatever it is. They want to be like ESPN, but they don't watch ESPN. If they did, they'd know ESPN is horrible and no sane organization would want to be like them at all.
SCG (MTG) started imitating them over the past year. It's horrible.

Beckx

I feel like I'm in some horror movie sequel OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN.

Like I said: Underpants Gnomes.

Meanwhile: David knows the first rule of dealing with stupid, don't engage.

@ultradavid 7m
no david, don't bother replying to that long twitter chain. ain't nothin to be or can be gained from that

--------------------------------------

None of these players' comments should be surprising. If they were smart they wouldn't be playing videogames for a living.

/Senator Anderson voice

That one hurt, Jack.

Ryan Ramirez ‏@fchampryan 1m
@teamspooky @jchensor @MKKI_CDjr @NSProGaming @AlexValleSF4 spooky ur an exception sir i always respected ur hardwork

Here comes the exceptions

Except Levelup, Except Iplaywinner, Except Team Spooky, Except ABC.

But Fuck you no name streamer ABifuC

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I feel like I'm in some horror movie sequel OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN.

Like I said: Underpants Gnomes.

Meanwhile: David knows the first rule of dealing with stupid, don't engage.

--------------------------------------

/Senator Anderson voice

That one hurt, Jack.

BURNNNNNNNNNNN

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah publisher contracts dictating behavior and stuff makes more sense than the MLG thing. I wouldn't be totally opposed to that since it would maybe stop Chris G from making the whole scene look dumb by association, but it would open a whole other can of worms otherwise that would be pretty fucked up.

That whole possibility is still pretty out-there though.

Chris G is spitting the truth. Some of these frauds need to get put in their place, not saying its Papa Valle or anything. MLG is the direction the FGC needs to go to garner a bigger crowd and actually become professional.

When the audience is ready to grow up, prove they are a desirable (and marketable) segment then maybe we might become more professional. Until then, lets ride that E-cigarette and dwindling energy drink market.

Viscant, save us from ourselves.

Riposte

Being professional is overrated. I understand why people would want their pro gamer life style supported by some sponsors, but I don't think it helps the game any. What I like best about the FGC is mostly found in the its grassroots nature.

Dahbomb

I honestly don't see why we can't have both E sports FG events and standard FGC events. As long as there is no overlap... who is really hurt by it?

The shunning of E Sports is just as bad as taking a dump on the long standing FGC events. More E sports events means more money in the pockets of top players so they can travel to more events and be more motivated to practice.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
When the audience is ready to grow up, prove they are a desirable (and marketable) segment then maybe we might become more professional. Until then, lets ride that E-cigarette and dwindling energy drink market.

Viscant, save us from ourselves.

Viscant's gonna wanna get sailor moon to sponsor us, Kappa.

Also, FChamp_is_the_new_Viscant.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I honestly don't see why we can't have both E sports FG events and standard FGC events. As long as there is no overlap... who is really hurt by it?

The shunning of E Sports is just as bad as taking a dump on the long standing FGC events. More E sports events means more money in the pockets of top players so they can travel to more events and be more motivated to practice.

I would honestly prefer both, that means more events for people who can't usually make it out to them. I know for a fact if E-sports worked with the FGC, we'd be seeing more events in NY, where the real killers are at.

shots fired

The 4 MLG events I went to where fantastic. EVO quality event if not better in some ways. There's a reason so many NRS guys like Jr are high on MLG.

How does this help the average tourney participant though. I want these events to be better for everybody to attend, not just top players. More stations, more room, more games. Have both, but goal should be to have better events for everybody, not just the top placers and worried what they get. Seems like everybody wants us to worry about them all the time.

Kumubou

The distrust of these e-sports groups is very real. It really comes down to the fact that a lot of the leadership now was here long before the money and the corporations show up, and the question of what happens once the music stops and the money dries up is a very real one. The grassroots events have been here long before the money blew up, and they'll probably be here long after the big money leaves.

I read Black Mamba's manifesto and that was just painful to read. Where's the money in grassroots events? Does he not realize just how much work it takes to get court and obtain real sponsorships with real money, and that companies like MLG have a whole team of people who do that 40+ hours a week? There's no one in the FGC that tournaments are a full-time, or even consistent part-time job. He got a flash of the big bucks playing in CLG and it seems like he hasn't given any thought to the idea that the money involved there was completely unsustainable. Why do TOs charge so much for venue fees? Do they have any goddamn idea how much it costs to rent a large space and pay for the equipment and resources necessary to run the event?

He goes on and on about how MLG was so great with real perks and real payouts. Do you know how much money MLG loses on those events? IIRC they only started seeing an operational profit late last year, and that was mainly through their efforts selling advertising to their higher margin games like DotA 2 and CoD. You know what was not bringing in the advertising? Fighting games! That's one of the reasons why they got dropped so quickly.

If you're competing squarely for the money, go play League of Legends. You're nothing less than a complete fool thinking that fighting games, in their current state, are going to have enough prize money behind them. Frankly, I think it's foolish for people to do that even if they're playing the bigger e-sports games like LoL or DotA 2.

I can't blame players for chasing the money (most e-sports careers are very short, and hearing the money made by some DoA4 players from CGS way back was... startling), but having this whole "fuck the community" attitude is beyond stupid. That's the thing, people will flash the big bucks but no one gives a damn about the long term sustainability. You either make a quick buck or you get the hell out.

They can sponsor pots, but as kirblar said I don't think they can give incentives for signing up aka "goody bags". Inflates the numbers and as also stated, causes stress to the t.o.'s that don't want to deal with ppl wanting them pens/flashlights
My understanding of it is that publishers can still throw in extras for people who sign up for Evolution, but they have to manage the distribution of it themselves. It's a mess, logistically and anyone who has been at Evo the last couple of years know how much of a mess registration/check-in is even without that. (Pro tip: Get it done Thursday night if at all possible.)

CurlyW

I thought that the Dota 2 tournament MLG ran in Columbus a couple months back was a great event. Best I think they've ever done.

My issues with how MLG ran their fighting game events a couple years back boil down to two main things:
1) Extended Set/Continuation Rule
2) Inapt scheduling for fighting games. Long breaks between matches work great for Starcraft, Dota, and LoL, but not so well when a match ends in 10 minutes.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Mr X, oneida - thanks for the explanations. For now I'll focus on fuzzy guard basics and move on from there.

Fuzzy guard is so important. Once you get the rhythm of fuzzy guarding at medium disadvantage the game's pace really cracks open - you just keep moving. Honestly no fighting game has as good movement as Virtua Fighter imo. None even close. I love wavedashing in Marvel and KoF's hops but when the VF dance opens up, man. Can't beat it.

Coda

My playlist is coming soon boys and girls, uploading it to mediafire with a iTunes playlist .xml file right now. It's a little under 5 hours and a half. Hip hop, breaks, instrumentals, funk, soul, and everything in between is on this playlist. My favorite to grind rounds in SSFIV: AE and UMvC3. I hope people will like it. I recommend putting it on an iPod if you have a 360 as that's such an easy way to play music off your Xbox. USB drives work too.

Top Bottom