• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ESGN is such a fucking stupid name, just more of the real sports envy to try and gain legitimacy.

I really do hate the idea of trying to conform to and mimic that system for things to progress. I mean it's important to reduce some of the stupid shit in this community, but I really don't like the idea that one day the more laid back FGC events will be discouraged because it doesn't adhere to that. We're playing games, let's at least carry the fun over to the presentation, that's what makes it unique and what will gravitate people to something like that in the first place.

I understand that these players want more money but at the end of the day y'all playing video games for a dollar. Like nah bruh
This is very well put.

you know what when there was a lot of money on the line at Dreamhack, no US player attended. if it's about the money they should of went.
Like clockwork every year. I really can't think of a reason that these guys wouldn't go, especially when they'll show up to shit like Revelations just for the money.

Infinite

Are they really surprised that the money dries up when there's no longer a game to promote? (This is a big reason why constant SF4 style updates are a net positive for the community.)
They not thinking. They look at esports and they feel like that should be them but things ain't too rosy over there either. Basically if you playing video games and getting money out of it then that's cool but don't make it a primary source of income because it is not sustainable as you pointed out.

kirblar

My flight to Amsterdam 3-4 years ago was over 1K round trip. Most guys don't have the Infiltration-level skillset to know that their investment will likely pay off.

kirblar

EG sent everyone to Dreamhack other than fighters.
Because they're a real sponsor and not a bizarre pyramid scheme.

edit: misread - Yeah, that's a little odd. Dreamhack's FGC stuff is a side event though- it never got on the main stage this year.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Don't go jumping to conclusions now. Just sit back and relax. Plus this isn't what you need seatbelts for.

All the fighting games at each MLG event were treated identically, from brackets all the way to trophy presentation and player commentators.

After I was guest commentator at the first event for KOF, Adam Apicella approached me personally to commentate the other fighters.

Good times.

undersakura

Neo Member
I really do hate the idea of trying to conform to and mimic that system for things to progress. I mean it's important to reduce some of the stupid shit in this community, but I really don't like the idea that one day the more laid back FGC events will be discouraged because it doesn't adhere to that. We're playing games, let's at least carry the fun over to the presentation, that's what makes it unique and what will gravitate people to something like that in the first place.

Heh the thing about esports is that it's a show first and the community/game is all the way in the back unless you're trying to sell the game/franchise as the case w Riot and Blizzard. Esports is not about finding the best game/players for the sake of watching the best players. The people organizing these events care mostly about what is the most entertaining. The big exception to this is Korea where they have the most boring players possible but they don't get paid that much unless they are at the .01% (big surprise!).

only thing i didn't like about MLG, and i don't know how it works with other games, was the down time between matches. should be more snappy.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Heh the thing about esports is that it's a show first and the community/game is all the way in the back unless you're trying to sell the game/franchise as the case w Riot and Blizzard. Esports is not about finding the best game/players for the sake of watching the best players. The people organizing these events care mostly about what is the most entertaining. The big exception to this is Korea where they have the most boring players possible but they don't get paid that much unless they are at the .01% (big surprise!).

Now I'm beginning to understand why Esports is seen in such a "not so good" light in the FGC. I think a hybrid of the two might be something possible.

kirblar

Now I'm beginning to understand why Esports is seen in such a "not so good" light in the FGC. I think a hybrid of the two might be something possible.
Top down vs bottom up - the problem is that the two sides have completely different goals. One is a marketing expense, the other is "love of the game." It's great when they overlap, but that overlap is only as long as there's something to sell.

Why do you think MarkMan is so important? His company can sell accessories to anyone, regardless of game!

mr. puppy

Banned
do you guys remember when markman got us all hype for that capcom reveal, and it turned out to be that crappy fanmade mega man game where you fight street fighter characters or whatever?

thats all you need to know about this one.

.la1n

do you guys remember when markman got us all hype for that capcom reveal, and it turned out to be that crappy fanmade mega man game where you fight street fighter characters or whatever?

Hey now I enjoyed that dumb little game :p

Kumubou

you know, since we're talking about this right now:

which game has had the most real grassroots support throughout its history
Melty Blood has an infinite ratio of grassroots/corporate support in the US. :V

For real though, the answer is probably SSBM, ST and GG, in that order. I was deep into Smash for the first 3-4 years after that game came out... and it kind of hurts my head that the community hasn't slowed down at all.

So this will be something that is pretty interesting? Interesting.

I can never remember Markman hyping up anything that didn't deliver. Well, maybe Killer Instinct, but he still has a pretty good record.

I think Bum's Stream is strangely one of the better templates. I know ChrisG is very good against the field but what about two local guys having beef and going at it to a first of 20 or even a half hour of rival match with a 5 minute halftime and commercials(timeouts) every ten minutes. Commentators talk about the change of the matchup, team synergy, momentum, coaching, player adaptation. You can have another mic hooked to the
"reporter" listening to the coaches/player/field. Add e-cig salt cam, scoreboards, stats (first hit, meters used, characters left, what lvl x-factor used)

Step up your presentation/game. BrokenTier is heading in the right direction (WTF, why no signed t-shirts/gear for extra?!) with talent, they just need to leverage the personalities. Angelic/Marlin was amazing when you could hear them talking back to each other (mic wasn't close enough).
ESGN's can leverage narrative of faux rivalries or legitimate real ones.

edit; Also, its cool to poop on ESPN but its not easy to gather, edit and compile (with dialogue) for programs like Sportscenter within a couple of hours. (Good) Video editors aren't cheap.

Vice

ESGN is such a fucking stupid name, just more of the real sports envy to try and gain legitimacy.

There's room for both though. There's high lvel SC2, DOTA and LOL have their majors but the community still puts on events outside of them. Corporate events and grassroots events an coexist. It's not an either or scenario.

All the fighting games at each MLG event were treated identically, from brackets all the way to trophy presentation and player commentators.

After I was guest commentator at the first event for KOF, Adam Apicella approached me personally to commentate the other fighters.

Good times.

Little weird, but I can see why they'd give you the offer: your KOF commentary was a highlight of the first KOF tourney.

only thing i didn't like about MLG, and i don't know how it works with other games, was the down time between matches. should be more snappy.

At least they tried to speed things up after they got complaints. Managed to cut it down by what felt like 1/4th of the time - it still took too much time, but still.

number47

Question without notice. Say Gaf got together and made a fund to sponsor a player. Who would we sponsor and how much money would be needed?

you're asking for a online tourney with probably long term members ((with like 100 post)) who contribute in the community threads. then winner gets to go to his/her chosen major under a gaf banner?

but whos gaf?

Dahbomb

There's room for both though. There's high lvel SC2, DOTA and LOL have their majors but the community still puts on events outside of them. Corporate events and grassroots events an coexist. It's not an either or scenario.
That's what I am saying. This all or nothing crap needs to stop to be honest.

you're asking for a online tourney with probably long term members ((with like 100 post)) who contribute in the community threads. then winner gets to go to his/her chosen major under a gaf banner?

but whos gaf?

No I'm saying if we threw the bucket around, raised up some money and get "somebody" out to more tournaments wearing a Gaf tag.

It is just as a discussion point. Is there an unsponsored player who doesn't compete as much as they could? If so, how much does a player actually "need" to start travelling to most majors?

Malice215

I used to think fighting games and eSports could coexist, but fighting games just aren't popular enough to support both except for maybe Capcom games and Smash. Plus once that money is gone to fund a game in eSports, they are on to the next thing.

Everyone that I know that went to MLG events for SCV all had a great time, but for someone like me, it became a question of do I skip ECT which had a ton of hype to go to MLG Anaheim, or do I skip Summer Jam where Big E always shows love to Soulcalibur to go to MLG Raleigh? The numbers for Raleigh would have looked better if the community wasn't split between two events on the same damn weekend instead of Summer Jam having more entrants than the Raleigh event, which was also the last on for SCV.

Both grassroots and eSports have their pros and cons, but at least grassroots is still here. People need to stop shitting on each other on Twitter about money and the like.

And it's a shame to see the latest turn of events take place.

But these games are the most popular games in the world by far. Fighting games aren't on that level.

number47

No I'm saying if we threw the bucket around, raised up some money and get "somebody" out to more tournaments wearing a Gaf tag.

It is just as a discussion point. Is there an unsponsored player who doesn't compete as much as they could? If so, how much does a player actually "need" to start travelling to most majors?

would the bucket constantly go around ,or is it a one time thing?
if they traveled. would they mind going by greyhound at 2am for the cheapest ticket?

would the bucket constantly go around ,or is it a one time thing?
if they traveled. would they mind going by greyhound at 2am for the cheapest ticket?

Say for a fixed term of a year and what...10 majors? How much does it cost to attend one in relative comfort in America? Couple of grand?

Top Bottom