• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

TheChits

That Ski and Mike Ross picture is amazing
KuGsj.gif

Dahbomb

FChamp is showing "new" tech on FGTV.

Its not really new because Frantic has been talking about it for a while but its good that FChamp is using it finally.

Wolverine players am cry.

Warpticon

There's room for both though. There's high lvel SC2, DOTA and LOL have their majors but the community still puts on events outside of them. Corporate events and grassroots events an coexist. It's not an either or scenario.

There's definitely room for both, but it doesn't feel like the people who keep saying "fgc isn't going anywhere unless corporations come in" (which is the most meaningless statement ever btw) and calling grassroots events garbage sure don't seem to be promoting that idea. It also doesn't help when some of the loudest voices in favor keep referencing companies that are either out of business or have yet to turn a profit, and have no actual plan about how to make anything happen.

jbug617

Banned
TFC put up their game rosters. Probably schedule to change depending if any other games come out.
Ultra Street Fighter 4 (360)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360)
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma (PS3)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3)
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (PS3)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (360)
Killer Instinct (XB1)
Mortal Kombat 9 (PS3)
Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Melee, and Project M
SoulCaliburV (PS3)

casperOne

ESGN is the worst name for a competitive gaming channel, or whatever it is. They want to be like ESPN, but they don't watch ESPN. If they did, they'd know ESPN is horrible and no sane organization would want to be like them at all.

$1B+ in operating income for 2013, I'd want to be like ESPN as well.

However, ESGN's ads (the guy in the boardroom) were a tremendous turn off from the get-go, and IMO, are an insult to ESPN.

Also, its cool to poop on ESPN but its not easy to gather, edit and compile (with dialogue) for programs like Sportscenter within a couple of hours. (Good) Video editors aren't cheap.

During the baseball season, the first 15 minutes of Sportscenter along with Baseball Tonight are mainstays for me. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't like many aspects of ESPN/SportsCenter, but the fact is that you can get a tremendous amount of information in a very quick period of time from ESPN. That's the value there.

Being professional is overrated. I understand why people would want their pro gamer life style supported by some sponsors, but I don't think it helps the game any. What I like best about the FGC is mostly found in the its grassroots nature.

I disagree about being professional being overrated. I think that generally, you'll get a lot more about being professional than not being professional, but I respect that you might have different experiences/opinions.

However, I think that most of what constitutes being professional lines up with just treating other human beings decently, something all communities can use more of.

Also, grassroots and unprofessional are not mutually exclusive.

Easy answer, it's obviously Super Turbo

The answer is always Super Turbo. I look forward to the next OId Man Games in February.

Question without notice. Say Gaf got together and made a fund to sponsor a player. Who would we sponsor and how much money would be needed?

I think the better thing to do is not to sponsor a player (although I'd love if we could sponsor them all), but to sponsor an event. That has a greater impact on the community at large.

Finally got Apex 2014 photos up!

These are superb, fantastic work, as always.

Wasn't really paying attention to when exactly but both Ultradavid and casperOne became members recently. Congrats now you too can Deckard Cain without fear of permaban.

Thank you! Don't know if I'll be able to accomplish DC levels, but that's not to say I might not try
kappa

---

Enzo, I was looking at the Funkmaster Flex Soundboard.

I'll put this on the front page of One Frame Link as an Easter egg for you. Bet it.

.la1n

TFC put up their game rosters. Probably schedule to change depending if any other games come out.

Hmm I might just have to start playing DOA more often, I think that would be a fun tournament to enter. I wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell at Marvel or SF.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
do you guys remember when markman got us all hype for that capcom reveal, and it turned out to be that crappy fanmade mega man game where you fight street fighter characters or whatever?

thats all you need to know about this one.

i didn't hype up shit, I just said it was going to be sick.

THE internet hyped shit up with crazy hopes/dreams.

unlike the guys with hopes and shattered dreams, I knew what was coming out and I was excited for it.

and why would i hype up bad stuff? where's the point in that?

you know what, it really is just my words. don't read to deep into them.

I think we're going to see more interesting shifts/changes with corporations/FGC members in the VERY near future.

^ That is what I put on twitter.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MarkMan transforms into Vince McMahon and turns the FGC into the FG-League. HGH will be mandatory and you wonder why everyone on camera is so oily.

The closest thing we have is CEO.

Now that Jebaldy is community manager for Iron Galaxy and direct bitch of Dave Lang, I doubt I'll get to own that scrub in front of everyone again. Can't damage the image of Iron Galaxy. ;)

I-hate-u

I am very interested to see who sponsors ChrisG. Seeing as how he is without a doubt the best fighting game player in the US, I see no reasons why the big teams, particularly Complexity, wouldn't want to add him to their roster.

.la1n

Iron Galaxy are good people. Look forward to what they do going forward, hopefully their own original fighter.

I am very interested to see who sponsors ChrisG. Seeing as how he is without a doubt the best fighting game player in the US, I see no reasons why the big teams, particularly Complexity, wouldn't want to add him to their roster.

I see reasons. But Champ got sponsored...so all bets are off.

Omega

Banned

Chris would need a PR member with him at all times.

From thinking a facebook message is more professional than a phone call or email, to his sarcastic "collusion with tea" comment during the esports/fgc debate on twitter when he was the main culprit of the whole collusion shit a few months ago

he's the Brock Lesnar of the FGC. just shut the fuck up and let someone else do the talking for you.

There's a new build of USF4 at the Taipei Game Show today according to Ono. We need some fgc guys at the game show to report the changes STAT.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, I was looking at the Funkmaster Flex Soundboard.

I'll put this on the front page of One Frame Link as an Easter egg for you. Bet it.
Type in "MY DIGITAL GAME IS SERIOUS" on the homepage for pop up :p

Dope photos.

i didn't hype up shit, I just said it was going to be sick.

THE internet hyped shit up with crazy hopes/dreams.

unlike the guys with hopes and shattered dreams, I knew what was coming out and I was excited for it.

and why would i hype up bad stuff? where's the point in that?

you know what, it really is just my words. don't read to deep into them.

^ That is what I put on twitter.
so you're saying there's a chance that Triforce will start EMPolution Tournament Series

The only thing im good at is being a nobody.
I know who you are!

Dahbomb

Dahbomb, please try to make sense when you type bro
FChamp hypes up stream by saying he has found out "new" tech against Wolverine.

Shows off way to beat double Dive Kick, Dive Kick into Berserker Slash and everything. The method is just backwards plink dash on the ground as it option selects throw and block + back dash.

He didn't know that many people knew about it (including GAF's own Frantic) and claimed it as his own discovered tech.

Top Bottom