• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

smurfx

get some go again
The game in question is rrelevant. It's not about Tomb Raider it's about the console war.

One console is rendering the game at 30FPS while the other is rendering at 60FPS. This is the first time a game has done same resolution but had variance in framerate (before this we had the resolution differences).
we all know the ps4 is more powerful than the xbox one though. don't know why every time its reconfirmed it leads to giant threads.

Silky

Banned
we all know the ps4 is more powerful than the xbox one though. don't know why every time its reconfirmed it leads to giant threads.

BECAUSE THE CONSUMER SHOULD BE INFORMED

WE HAVE THE RIGHT AS A CONSUMER TO INFORM A FLAW REPEATEDLY.

OH WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK ABOUT THE CONSUMER ad nauseum

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There are people out there that do not like high-def. They say it's too distracting and shiny for their liking, colors and sharpness are too popping and strain their eyes. They prefer the softer more bland IQ of standard definition. I can't believe like that exist but they do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We're actually supposed to buy our first HDTV this year. Yes, in 2014.

And this TV will probably be used for nothing more than SD Indian satellite channels my grandma will watch sitting on the couch.

Probably because of a steady supply of trolls/astroturfers posting obviously dumb shit that people quote and respond to page after page anyways.

Atleast Xbox made this new console generation interesting. If both machines were at parity specs-wise people would be focusing more on how both have pretty mediocre tech and are generally very conservative in their designs. Imagine how boring this new gen would've been without MS shooting itself repeatedly in the foot every month and a half.

We're actually supposed to buy our first HDTV this year. Yes, in 2014.

And this TV will probably be used for nothing more than SD Indian satellite channels my grandma will watch sitting on the couch.

Sounds like my grandma. My parents have a 55" HDTV in their room and a paltry 32" in the living room, and I can't even use it because my grandma just watches The Filipino Channel all day. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sounds like my grandma. My parents have a 55" HDTV in their room and a paltry 32" in the living room, and I can't even use it because my grandma just watches The Filipino Channel all day. :(
Yup. I couldn't go down there to game if I wanted.

I mean I have like a 23" monitor to game with which I'm fine with, but it sucks when I have people over; especially because my monitor produces so much heat.

couldn't give a shit about resolution.
It's important, but not make/break kind of important it seems to be to some people's lives. I don't think game detail and textures are at a point where 1080p+ resolutions are necessary.

Mr. X

My guesses:

MLG wins a secret bidding war with either Ninty or MS for Smash or KI respectively.
EVO partners up with something for 2014 that will be divisive

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
When people nitpick about resolution and all the technical mumbo jumbo then you know they aren't really looking to enjoy the game. When I play a game and having the time of my life with it, the last thing on my mind is the technical details of it. SFIV is ugly as hell for the most part but that doesn't stop me from enjoying playing it.
Deadly Premonition is another example, probably the best for this generation.It looks like something that could be done on the PS2 and has some of the most lol worthy presentation but is one of my favorite games of the generation because of everything else good about it.

Silky

Banned
It's important, but not make/break kind of important it seems to be to some people's lives. I don't think game detail and textures are at a point where 1080p+ resolutions are necessary.

Me either. I'd much rather have 60FPS be more of a staple than 1080p, but you know muh jaggies bawwww

ismk

When people nitpick about resolution and all the technical mumbo jumbo then you know they aren't really looking to enjoy the game. When I play a game and having the time of my life with it, the last thing on my mind is the technical details of it. SFIV is ugly as hell for the most part but that doesn't stop me from enjoying playing it.
Deadly Premonition is another example, probably the best for this generation.It looks like something that could be done on the PS2 and has some of the most lol worthy presentation but is one of my favorite games of the generation because of everything else good about it.

Thanks for reminding me to play Deadly Premonition. I can't believe I haven't played the game yet after hearing so many great things spoken about it.

vocab

Low res console games don't bother me that much. Higher res would make some things look better, but it's whatever. Give me a good game. This whole generation is gonna be about the graphics arm race once again. A lot of spectacle flashy shallow ass games on the horizon.

Dahbomb

Low res console games don't bother me that much. Higher res would make some things look better, but it's whatever. Give me a good game. This whole generation is gonna be about the graphics arm race once again. A lot of spectacle flashy shallow ass games on the horizon.
It's the same as every gen really. Starting out people value graphics a lot and games tend to sell based on these attributes. Then the dust settles and people start valuing actual good games more. The games out right now for next gen are going to look mediocre in 2 years time.

That's not to say that good graphics game won't sell... they will but to do big numbers you need good graphics and good overall game.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
FChamp hypes up stream by saying he has found out "new" tech against Wolverine.

Shows off way to beat double Dive Kick, Dive Kick into Berserker Slash and everything. The method is just backwards plink dash on the ground as it option selects throw and block + back dash.

He didn't know that many people knew about it (including GAF's own Frantic) and claimed it as his own discovered tech.

Fraudulence at its finest.

Coda

There are people out there that do not like high-def. They say it's too distracting and shiny for their liking, colors and sharpness are too popping and strain their eyes. They prefer the softer more bland IQ of standard definition. I can't believe like that exist but they do.

I like high def but my PS2 looks superb on my Sony Trinitron with component cables resolution aside. 2D fighters and shmups look nice. Also Sega Dreamcast with VGA cables to an LCD is pretty amazing, first time I was really blown away by 3D graphics before high def came along.

Probably because of a steady supply of trolls/astroturfers posting obviously dumb shit that people quote and respond to page after page anyways.

Atleast Xbox made this new console generation interesting. If both machines were at parity specs-wise people would be focusing more on how both have pretty mediocre tech and are generally very conservative in their designs. Imagine how boring this new gen would've been without MS shooting itself repeatedly in the foot every month and a half.
Nintendo forgetting how to console made this generation. MS sticking to their guns on the DRM? Now that would have been real entertainment.
It stopped being about the arms race a while ago. Now it's about the dozens of games you can get for the price of an Italian meal. Especially if we're talking indie games.

I am very interested to see who sponsors ChrisG. Seeing as how he is without a doubt the best fighting game player in the US, I see no reasons why the big teams, particularly Complexity, wouldn't want to add him to their roster.

I don't know if he's surpassed Justin yet, but he's getting there.

Dahbomb

How are there even top players who don't even know what tech is out there. Embarrassing.
When it comes to Marvel the top players are like months if not years behind the discovered tech.

I have been trying to show FChamp two specific anti Vergil techs that if he incorporated into his game he would destroy most Vergils. Too bad whenever I post them in chat CJ comes up to the stream and says "stop with the god damn anti Vergil tech!"

And then when he "finds" it himself he declares that he found the tech himself and calls people idiots who say that it was found out already.

In any case to answer your question... they don't know tech because they don't need it. Especially for FChamp who is still using tech that most other top players aren't... in terms of tech he is still ahead. Out of the "gods" of Marvel... Justin has the least tech and he still just won a big tournament! Tech is irrelevant... skill is everything. Of course every top player starts utilizing tech then you have to keep up. If no one uses it then there is no need. Since FChamp and Nemo started using plink dashing to dominate people... more players have started using it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You're now a go. Enjoy!
iRsDvmnitI0jq.gif

You're the best, casper.

Even if the YT embed shows up on top and prevents me from clicking the "MY DIGITAL GAME IS SERIOUS" button. :p Still awesome though :p

de1irium

is left 4 dead tournament worthy

People tried to make comp L4D a thing, but it never took off. It's fun as hell with solid teams, but the whole tourney/esports stuff was a bit contrived given the lack of options for it in the game. I'm hoping maybe L4D3 at least has some reasonable spec/casting options. Considering everything they're building into Source for Dota/CSGO, it's should be a given.

casperOne

iRsDvmnitI0jq.gif

You're the best, casper.

Even if the YT embed shows up on top and prevents me from clicking the "MY DIGITAL GAME IS SERIOUS" button. :p Still awesome though :p

Chrome does the overlays correctly. Give me a second to address that.

Edit: Fixed.

Double edit: You da best

31-Roc-Boyz.gif

If you want to look at best overall US player, Justin's better than Chris at SFxT, while Chris is better at Injustice and Marvel. They're pretty close in AE but I think Justin still has a slight edge, and who knows what will happen when Ultra is out.

Rog's probably third, but he pretty much only does well in Capcom games.

If you want to look at best overall US player, Justin's better than Chris at SFxT, while Chris is better at Injustice and Marvel. They're pretty close in AE but I think Justin still has a slight edge, and who knows what will happen when Ultra is out.

Chris is also better at Skullgirls and P4A, having killed both games because of it.

Dahbomb

Top 8 at EVO in Injustice brah.

MrDaravon

People tried to make comp L4D a thing, but it never took off. It's fun as hell with solid teams, but the whole tourney/esports stuff was a bit contrived given the lack of options for it in the game. I'm hoping maybe L4D3 at least has some reasonable spec/casting options. Considering everything they're building into Source for Dota/CSGO, it's should be a given.

This would be so good. L4D is awesome.

Top Bottom