• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 5-11 | A World Warrior Demographic

I never saw the appeal of Charlie. Just a nerd with glasses who xcopy'd Guile. I guess nerds like him? Reminds me of this:

s1A4AgH.png

xezuru

Maaan, PC Chris is back and what assumes to be actually active in the future for Smash.
If I recall, all the headliners of the Smash Documentary are now returned+ active, (including KDJ although he doesn't go to many majors because what I assume school I hear he still super active in his region).
Also, kind of, Azen, plays alot on Chillin's stream. Half of them are sponsored, 10 year change is insane.

https://twitter.com/PCchris_fahdayz/status/553616064245137411

What a bunch of old farts playing an old man game, gonna be a crazy year at evo/apex.

Exr

Completely agree Beef, Charlie is lame as fuck. I felt like I was on another planet when people were getting excited for him.

Charlie looks pretty lame. Vest with no shirt? Come on.

Did like some some of his normals better than Guile's in how they look. And 1 hand booms are pretty cool.

I have kofxiii on steam, but I mainly play at locals since being in the midwest doesnt help with the lag, but yea you guys can add me as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
Maaan, PC Chris is back and what assumes to be actually active in the future for Smash.
If I recall, all the headliners of the Smash Documentary are now returned+ active, (including KDJ although he doesn't go to many majors because what I assume school I hear he still super active in his region).
Also, kind of, Azen, plays alot on Chillin's stream. Half of them are sponsored, 10 year change is insane.

https://twitter.com/PCchris_fahdayz/status/553616064245137411

What a bunch of old farts playing an old man game, gonna be a crazy year at evo/apex.

Hopefully Azen goes to tourneys again. I'd like to see that.

Prototype

It's happening again...

Over the years I've tried to get more into other fighting games but I always Come back to Street Fighter. When the itch to play FGs dies down I see a new game and end up getting it and have a good time with it but once I get back into playing FGs again I find myself just putting SF on. Like these other games just get me out of my funk of not playing FGs as much and then once I do, I just want to play the game I know and love the most.

Part of it is learning new mechanics, and the time requirements involved in getting good at a new fighter. I grew up on SF and it has always clicked with me. Nothing else ends up holding my attention for as long.
I end up thinking that instead of playing this new game I could level up my SF game even more and just improve in that game even more.

MK 9 was a great game, but after a month or so I just wanted to play SF again, then when I did play SF, I felt I had gotten worse at it because I'd spent so much time away from it with MK. This made me want to play SF more to get back to where I was, so to speak.

Dame thing happened with SFxT. And Soul Caliber 5. And now with Guilty Gear. Last couple nights I could have played Xrd, but I ended up putting Ultra in and had an absolute blast. Which made me want to play it again the next night... And this is how the cycle goes. New games make me want to play FGs again, but they end up just making me want to play SF instead.

Soul Calibur 4 had a nice long run last gen for me, up until SF4 came out. After that I'd play it a bit here and there but more and more I'd just play SF. Then I just ended up getting rid of SC4 altogether.

I know SF, it feels familiar, and it scratches my FG itch perfectly.

This happen to anyone else? Always go back to a certain game even though you'd like to play new/other ones?

Silky

Banned
So Killer Instinct is anime now, huh

Nothing is sacred

OMEN
  • decent dashes, AA, and pokes
  • Moves that let you build 2 bars of meter
  • has 3 whole bars of meter (confirmed an extra bar not just divided into 3rds)
  • can fire 11 random projectiles (Light fires 1, Med fires 2, Heavy fires 3...all are random so hard to read him)
  • has lightning leg mashable
  • big floaty jump and air dashes
  • long range slides that can go through you
  • can fire insane amounts of fireballs
  • can LOCK OUT OPPONENTS METER WITH PROJECTILES
  • Has homing projectiles and can spend meter to make them hit twice
  • has some projectiles that don't disappear when he's hit
  • has ourobouros and can spend meter to make them hit twice (5 orbs in instinct)
  • can spend meter on the ouroborous then the homing projectiles to fire them off and can mix and match to combine properties of each
  • has a shadow cancel that lets you move in any direction you want as a cancel that is invincible to confuse folks, make stuff safe, and go for mixups
  • HAS A COMMAND GRAB THAT CAN BE DONE FROM BLOCKSTRING THAT DOES 100% POTENTIAL DAMAGE...hit them after that and you win.

Dis guy broke as fuck.

Anime Instinct, indeed

Deps

This happen to anyone else? Always go back to a certain game even though you'd like to play new/other ones?

Not really, if I still like a game I play it along with all the other games I like. I find it much more fun to play multiple fighting games, along with improving much faster (especially adaptation).

Onemic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";146712353]Yeah, I always go back to AE PC because PS3 sticks don't work on PS4 and Marvel isn't on Steam.[/QUOTE]

you dont got ultra?

It's the fundamentals bro. The series, mechanically speaking, is perfection. Everything about it is so damn crispy and tasty mmmmmmm. In all honesty, doesn't matter what any games does. They're all emulating their own version of SF. It all feels familiar but not quite 100% comfy ya know. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking :/

Is there even such a thing as UmeCharlie? No. Fuck out of here with that character.

No, but really I've always liked Guile more

Prototype

Not really, if I still like a game I play it along with all the other games I like. I find it much more fun to play multiple fighting games, along with improving much faster (especially adaptation).
Maybe it's a skill set I don't have.

I find it hard to play multiple FGs at the same time and be good at them all. It's like my fingers get trained for something else and when I switch there is an adjustment period. The longer I stay away, the longer the adjustment period.

Like, if I were to change my button setup in SF, I'd be hitting the wrong buttons for weeks until my fingers remembered that they layout was different.

It's the fundamentals bro. The series, mechanically speaking, is perfection. Everything about it is so damn crispy and tasty mmmmmmm. In all honesty, doesn't matter what any games does. They're all emulating their own version of SF. It all feels familiar but not quite 100% comfy ya know. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking :/
I agree with out, nothing else feels like SF. I grew up on world warriors and new challengers up to ST. It's been so engrained into me that that is what a FG is, that everything else feels off in one way or another.

mbpm1

Was reading a bit about zoning in basketball and now i wonder if FGC borrowed some terminology from there.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I never saw the appeal of Charlie. Just a nerd with glasses who xcopy'd Guile. I guess nerds like him? Reminds me of this:

s1A4AgH.png

Its for nerds I see.

charlie.gif

Killer Instinct finally looks interesting to me, tried really hard to get into it cause a good friend of mine loves the game but it felt weird. This confirms it, killer instinct is now anime, how many more victims will it claim until its thirst is satiated?!

Charlie was cool when I thought he was Blanka. What a neat story. Now he's just...another Guile?

He can sonic boom from his feet man.

It's happening again...

Over the years I've tried to get more into other fighting games but I always Come back to Street Fighter. When the itch to play FGs dies down I see a new game and end up getting it and have a good time with it but once I get back into playing FGs again I find myself just putting SF on. Like these other games just get me out of my funk of not playing FGs as much and then once I do, I just want to play the game I know and love the most.

Part of it is learning new mechanics, and the time requirements involved in getting good at a new fighter. I grew up on SF and it has always clicked with me. Nothing else ends up holding my attention for as long.
I end up thinking that instead of playing this new game I could level up my SF game even more and just improve in that game even more.

MK 9 was a great game, but after a month or so I just wanted to play SF again, then when I did play SF, I felt I had gotten worse at it because I'd spent so much time away from it with MK. This made me want to play SF more to get back to where I was, so to speak.

Dame thing happened with SFxT. And Soul Caliber 5. And now with Guilty Gear. Last couple nights I could have played Xrd, but I ended up putting Ultra in and had an absolute blast. Which made me want to play it again the next night... And this is how the cycle goes. New games make me want to play FGs again, but they end up just making me want to play SF instead.

Soul Calibur 4 had a nice long run last gen for me, up until SF4 came out. After that I'd play it a bit here and there but more and more I'd just play SF. Then I just ended up getting rid of SC4 altogether.

I'd get into Arcana, UNiEL and GG (+R and Xrd) if there were PC ports. Since there aren't I just play SG every once in a while. The DOA PC announcement was exciting, but no online at the start means 3D fighters are going to stay right where they've been for years now (for me anyways).

I HAVE been playing SF4 with a friend on steam recent, though. It's funny because he is pretty good and clearly spent a lot of time on the game, but he seems to hate it whereas my dislike for SF4 has just kinda fizzled out.
Just bought KOFXIII for that sweet 7.49 steam price and it is now downloading.
Someone on my friend list gifted me Blazblue CT yesterday. This anime sale has been good for us.

Top Bottom