• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 5-11 | A World Warrior Demographic

sikvod00

Banned
^Yes. I also heard something about getting twitch turbo free for a month, but not 100% on that.
Edit: It might have been a really good investment for lap to try super hard to bring smug out.

mbpm1

Truly crackling stuff man. This was as good an advertisement for subbing as Lap could have done with the matches alone.

Still don't have money to blow on it tho.

Anth0ny

So PC Chris has announced that he's returning to Melee this year.

PC Chris vs. Ken is happening at Salty Suite as well. Their sets at MLG 2006 were what got me into competitive Smash. Needless to say, I'm excited.

NO ONE QUITS SMASH

Also, current Apex registration tally:

Smash 64: 128
Melee: 721
Brawl: 95
Smash 4: 468

For what it's worth, I don't think Brawl ever cracked 400 entrants at a single tournament, so this is a damn good start for Smash 4.

So PC Chris has announced that he's returning to Melee this year.

PC Chris vs. Ken is happening at Salty Suite as well. Their sets at MLG 2006 were what got me into competitive Smash. Needless to say, I'm excited.

NO ONE QUITS SMASH

Something happened with Melee during it's development. I don't know what, but I bet it has something to do with Sakurai's youthfulness. Both of them will probably outlive all of FightingGAF.

Dlent

I don't know if any of you are watching, but Jam is wrecking these Xrd teams.

EDIT: 3 empty jump pot busters in a row and Chipp is just dead, lmao

Riposte

I'm so pissed at myself for not having played GG in 5+ days lol. Now I got Wolfenstein to play. Whatever, I'm going to try to stick on GG for the rest of this year. Hopefully I can find some dudes at school who are down for it.

Sayad

As hype as Kaz vs Snake was, $15 is still a lot, more so if you can't watch the whole thing live. This would have been so much harder to skip if not for KiT going on at the same time.

For what it's worth, I don't think Brawl ever cracked 400 entrants at a single tournament, so this is a damn good start for Smash 4.
Any numbers for the other games? Also, how does this compare to Apex usual numbers?

As hype as Kaz vs Snake was, $15 is still a lot, more so if you can't watch the whole thing live. This would have been so much harder to skip if not for KiT going on at the same time.
I'm currently debating with myself whether or not to subscribe. This is hard. 15$ is a lot. They should have made this 9.95$ for it to be acceptable. But I guess it's either that or endless stupid ads displayed on stream...

EDIT : ok bought it. First time I ever spend money on PPV

Seems like Louffy is only going to be able to make it for Sunday, so they're going to change the schedule up a bit. 10 hours of flight delays, ouch.

Seems like Louffy is only going to be able to make it for Sunday, so they're going to change the schedule up a bit. 10 hours of flight delays, ouch.

Louffy has 3 matches on Sunday (originally), so they'll have to switch 4 of his matches scheduled for Saturday into Sunday. I wonder which 4 matches scheduled on Sunday will be added to today's matches.

Here's the original schedule (all times pacific)
Saturday
10:00 am
Luffy vs PR Rog
Daigo vs Xian
11:30
PR Rog vs Kazunoko
Xian vs XiaoHai
Luffy vs Snake Eyez
Daigo vs Pepeday
2:30 pm
Snake Eyez vs Xian
PR Rog vs Pepeday
Luffy vs XiaoHai
Daigo vs Kazunoko
7:30
Pepeday vs Snake Eyez
Xian vs Kazunoko
PR Rog vs XiaoHai
Daigo vs Luffy

3rd day
09:00 am
Pepeday vs Xian
Snake Eyez vs XiaoHai
Luffy vs Kazunoko
Daigo vs PR Rog
12:00 pm
XiaoHai vs Kazunoko
Xian vs PR Rog
Pepeday vs Luffy
Daigo vs Snake Eyez
3:00
Pepeday vs Kazunoko
Snake Eyez vs PR Rog
Luffy vs Xian
Daigo vs XiaoHai

Kimosabae

Banned
I personally haven't bought in yet, but the value is there, if you're a FG fan. I love the energy of tournaments, but I don't like 2/3 double elimination for Capcom games. Even if the tournament is hype, I'm rarely satisfied by the results. I want to see MS and events like it become more of a thing.

Depending on what my day looks like, I'll likely Sub later.

Damn Apex is mad close time and location wise to me. I'm probably gonna miss it tho registration ends 2marro and currently I have no way of transportation up there. I'm totally making the year after that tho without a doubt. Man if only I had a car right now

Laconic

Banned
...people are actually paying $15 to watch a fighting game tournament stream?

Damn.

E-sports is by no means a sport, but they're definitely of the opinion those who watch them are of the same bent as PPV mooks.

Damn.

E-sports is by no means a sport, but they're definitely of the opinion those who watch them are of the same bent as PPV mooks.

People donate money and pay $5 for people just streaming. People will pay if they feel it's worth it to them.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Damn.

$50 for a few hours of UFC which is not guarantee to be good. $15 for two days of the highest level and many more.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's not just for the entertainment purposes, but to support the scene and Canada's initiative.

$15 is not a lot of money. People in the most dire financial straits spend $15 on shit that is not conducive to ameliorating their circumstance. If you don't see the value in supporting Canada's cup's initiative, just say so and be done with it.

thelastword

Banned
People donate money and pay $5 for people just streaming. People will pay if they feel it's worth it to them.
Don't think it's a trend that should be encouraged though, at the end of the day there's no way the few subs who are watching this will in any way help the TO's to any significant degree. What's the point of having a hype tournament and putting it behind a paywall where only 50 or so persons will watch it, it makes no sense.

fader

Don't think it's a trend that should be encouraged though, at the end of the day there's no way the few subs who are watching this will in any way help the TO's to any significant degree. What's the point of having a hype tournament and putting it behind a paywall where only 50 or so persons will watch it, it makes no sense.

If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. It will be a lesson learned.

The only thing this tournament is encouraging is ppv for this specific type of tournament, which Topanga started. The other tournaments are not the same so ppv wouldn't make sense for them.

Usual free tournament:
-Open tournament
-have to pay money to enter
-usually no players are invited and payed for
-no $15k+ money up for grabs
-ft2 for most or all of tournament/ft3 for top 8 or grandfinals

Topanga/Masters Series
-Invite with only way into tournament is through qualifying
-FT7 round robin
-very high level of play for all matches
-$15k+ up for grabs

That's the difference. If TO can organize the same type of tournament and offer it for free, this style of tournament will revolve around $15 for the top6-8 ft7 round robin. I don't think it would work if they didn't have the absolute elite players fill practically every spot in the round robin.

thelastword

Banned
Having an audience of 30-50,000 people watch your tournament is much more important than having a handful, they could have opted to use ads in the traditional fashion between rounds and downtime, I'm sure that would have brought in much more revenue to them.

It's not just for the entertainment purposes, but to support the scene and Canada's initiative.

$15 is not a lot of money. People in the most dire financial straits spend $15 on shit that is not conducive to ameliorating their circumstance. If you don't see the value in supporting Canada's cup's initiative, just say so and be done with it.

I agree that $15 isn't a lot. The equivalent of a movie ticket or some other comparable form of entertainment.

For me, I don't even pay $15 to watch Evo and I consider that the absolute peak of FGC quality. So I'm not all that interested in what CC is offering in terms of value for 2 days.

Besides that, there are a lot of other events (which I listed on the previous page) that are going on this weekend that I'll be watching.

Just my perspective.

The salt from Xiaohai yesterday :lol

I felt bad for him

I79RNza.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Normally I would be against it but Lap Chi is putting thousands of dollars out of pocket for this event and I wouldn't mind chipping in to help him out. And it's not like it's completely a one sided affair. There are many benefits to it.

smurfx

get some go again
are the matches going to be put up on youtube at a later date? i would like to watch some when i have the time.

Infinite

Normally I would be against it but Lap Chi is putting thousands of dollars out of pocket for this event and I wouldn't mind chipping in to help him out. And it's not like it's completely a one sided affair. There are many benefits to it.

Yeah I'm not against the idea. It doesnt seem gootecksy either. My only issue is paying money for a stream that will fuck up sometime due to forces beyond Lap's control.

Top Bottom