• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 7-13 | EVO 2014: Putting Q in more games than Capcom

Silky

Banned
I heard the netcode was rough and the game might have a vague problem in the future.

Anyone want to shed some light before I go spending money?

Steam is the only viable way to play KOF online. It's also a better value considering how cheap KOF can be at times and that you get all of the DLC on Steam.

I triple dipped on KOF because I love KOF.

Still too much lol.

Sheroking

Steam is the only viable way to play KOF online. It's also a better value considering how cheap KOF can be at times and that you get all of the DLC on Steam.

I triple dipped on KOF because I love KOF.

Meh. $29.99 on Steam right now.

Guess I'll just wait for XRD before I pick up a new fighter.

Mdesilva

Nah. Shtkn himself would tell you he doesn't belong. Axis, Dawn, Danke are all relatively low tier too. Don't just throw up people because you know about them, throw up people you know are actually worth noting. I put up people I know are good, not who have twitter followers or stream monster followings. The only concession I'll make out of those is 2GB, but he's not quite there. Shouta mentioned Wuku, I forgot about him but I haven't seen him play lately.
ChosenNinja is very good though, and all/most of these players on the list have placed in Top 8 at a major aside from Shtkn (and maybe 2GB, I forget).

Dawn- 4th at CEO, 9th at SCR
Delta/Nano- 2nd at NEC (I think?)
Eshi- Top 8 at CEO
Axis- Top 8 at UFGT
ChosenNinja- Top 8 at UFGT, 3rd at Frosty Faustings (not a major but notable enough to name it)
CrazyApe- Top 8 at UFGT/Frosty
The Arm- I actually forget which but I swear I remember him placing well somewhere recently
Danke- Top 8 at UFGT, Frosty, and his team won NEC

I'd say that their tournament placings make these players worth naming. Only one with that much of a Twitter following is Dawn anyways, from what I can tell. I don't follow anyone else on the list and haven't seen any of them on my TL or anything. Trust me- it's not a popularity contest.

.la1n

I heard the netcode was rough and the game might have a vague problem in the future.

Anyone want to shed some light before I go spending money?

netcode on consoles is terrible but if you can find people to play with in the area that will obviously help things. Random matches more time than not are unplayable in my experience. The game itself is great, even better if you have people locally to play with.

But what about for Smash

just random black dudes shouting obscenities in the crowd

if51OpXzi3sTX.gif

Ridley confirmed brehs

Anne

ChosenNinja is very good though, and all/most of these players on the list have placed in Top 8 at a major aside from Shtkn (and maybe 2GB, I forget).

Dawn- 4th at CEO, 9th at SCR
Delta/Nano- 2nd at NEC (I think?)
Eshi- Top 8 at CEO
Axis- Top 8 at UFGT
ChosenNinja- Top 8 at UFGT, 3rd at Frosty Faustings (not a major but notable enough to name it)
CrazyApe- Top 8 at UFGT/Frosty
The Arm- I actually forget which but I swear I remember him placing well somewhere recently
Danke- Top 8 at UFGT, Frosty, and his team won NEC

I'd say that their tournament placings make these players worth naming. Only one with that much of a Twitter following is Dawn anyways, from what I can tell. I don't follow anyone else on the list and haven't seen any of them on my TL or anything. Trust me- it's not a popularity contest.

It more or less is. I'm sorry but NA tournament placings are nothing to go on, You can disregard anybody who got top 8 at UFGT besides Pops and BKen. CEO was a bracket clusterfuck where all the good players killed each other. NEC was the first tournament for the game shortly after release where Kokonoe broke everything. LK lost to Setsuna and a team with Akira-Shiro on it won.

None of the players in that list are near the caliber of player who can place well at Evo. They might cause lol brackets and anime, but they're not that great. Maybe when you see them fight an LK or Japan you'll see what I mean.

CurlyW

It more or less is. I'm sorry but NA tournament placings are nothing to go on, You can disregard anybody who got top 8 at UFGT besides Pops and BKen. CEO was a bracket clusterfuck where all the good players killed each other. NEC was the first tournament for the game shortly after release where Kokonoe broke everything. LK lost to Setsuna and a team with Akira-Shiro on it won.

None of the players in that list are near the caliber of player who can place well at Evo. They might cause lol brackets and anime, but they're not that great. Maybe when you see them fight an LK or Japan you'll see what I mean.

ChosenNinja actually got 3rd at UFGT, behind Pops and BananaKen. He also got 9th in P4A at Evo last year.

And I made the brackets for CEO, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't call them a clusterfuck.

Shouta

Nah. Shtkn himself would tell you he doesn't belong. Axis, Dawn, Danke are all relatively low tier too. Don't just throw up people because you know about them, throw up people you know are actually worth noting. I put up people I know are good, not who have twitter followers or stream monster followings. The only concession I'll make out of those is 2GB, but he's not quite there. Shouta mentioned Wuku, I forgot about him but I haven't seen him play lately.

Wuku tied with Apologyman at NWM for 5th place. I don't think he's traveled to a lot of other tournaments this year but he's active at our monthlies up here.

Anne

ChosenNinja actually got 3rd at UFGT, behind Pops and BananaKen. He also got 9th in P4A at Evo last year.

And I made the brackets for CEO, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't call them a clusterfuck.

It's not your fault the brackets were a clusterfuck. It was 2 major upsets early that set up a weird as hell top 8, where Lich went down to Apologyman and LK went down to Tectal. They had to kill each other not too long after, then BKen lost to Tectal and killed LK. Meanwhile on the other side of the bracket Dawn Hikarii was going nuts. If I should blame anybody, I should blame Tectal for just being ridiculous that day.

Chosen is a solid player at times, but he often loses to players who place way worse than him. At NEC post Evo, he failed to get out of pools and kept falling. Not to mention he had 2 byes immediately after pools at Evo. He's inconsistent, he just happens to not run into strong players often and gets around, especially in the Midwest. It's a pretty common thing in ASW to see it happen.

Wuku tied with Apologyman at NWM for 5th place. I don't think he's traveled to a lot of other tournaments this year but he's active at our monthlies up here.

That's cool. I didn't get to watch NWM BB due to being at a gathering out of state. Most of the PNW guys are like that, they just kinda pop up and it's like "oh cool, they're doing stuff still."

Shouta

That's cool. I didn't get to watch NWM BB due to being at a gathering out of state. Most of the PNW guys are like that, they just kinda pop up and it's like "oh cool, they're doing stuff still."

Best story in regards to anime at NWM was Tokido going around asking people if they were Spark. Folks said he did it a bunch of times, lol.

Anne

Best story in regards to anime at NWM was Tokido going around asking people if they were Spark. Folks said he did it a bunch of times, lol.

Haha that's pretty funny. I remember watching P4A at Evo and saw Spark pop up in like top 16 and was like "He plays this? Wait, he's alive?"

Clawww

Marvel finals might actually be exciting if we see some good upsets and the usual suspects get toppled. Which is possible, but I also doubt it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Marvel finals might actually be exciting if we see some good upsets and the usual suspects get toppled. Which is possible, but I also doubt it.

It should be more than doable this year. All the players are gaining pace to the cream of the crop.

Even if the marvel final is just business as usual, it'll still be more compelling than the excruciatingly boring marvel pool play.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
All pad as far as I know. As for stuff for a side tournament, I can poke around the office, but I think we're officially out of swag of any kind.

Also, if anyone knows when the BBCP pool streams are going on, could you PM me the schedule/links? I won't be in the office for Evo, but I'll get someone to pimp the links on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.

We've been working with ASW Japan side and we are preparing some sticks for use at EVO for you guys. The PS3/PS4 ones.

Dahbomb

Upsets are likely to happen in top 64-ish territory... not in pools.

Pools of Marvel 3 will be the same as they always are... top players destroy lower level players 3-0, 3-1. I haven't seen the brackets though so there's a possibility of there being a few bracket of deaths.

Top Bottom