• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

Infinite

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63718786]Would you guys play an original fighting game if it only had three, complex characters?[/QUOTE]
Define complex

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63718786]Would you guys play an original fighting game if it only had three, complex characters?[/QUOTE]
Calling the Starcraft comparison now.

Beckx

Bushido Blade only has 6.

It's all about the mechanics, right? 3 seems really light, so it puts a lot of pressure on depth and how much variety those characters have (which BB achieved via weapon selection).

Kioshen

BB tried it with more characters ... they did hinder themselves more than anything but still.

Infinite

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63719951]Like a Skullgirls or Jojo's character, not only a cool playstyle but had their own unique mechanics and systems that made them play radically unlike the other characters. Like if you had a Dio Brando, a Dormammu and a Naoto.[/QUOTE]
Ok that works. If figure the characters are deep enough so different players can put their own spin on them.

if it had maybe a couple more then sure. Also if the graphics/gameplay were to my liking as well.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63719951]Like a Skullgirls or Jojo's character, not only a cool playstyle but had their own unique mechanics and systems that made them play radically unlike the other characters. Like if you had a Dio Brando, a Dormammu and a Naoto.[/QUOTE]

I think the hard thing about this is just the fundamental issue with smaller rosters--it's only going to work if you can get the majority to seriously want to play at least one of the three.

Anyway, yeah, I'd totally give a game like this a shot.

Only if it were a team-based game.

USD

zB14DMj.jpg

GODSGARDEN will be streaming the first day of GODSGARDEN GATE in just a few minutes. It's both an online and offline tournament, TTT2 and SSFIV AE. Today is the first qualifier for the online portion of the event, the Outer Gate. Though TTT2 didn't hit the cap of 32 players, there's lots of talent in both games, so definitely check it out. Will be starting with TTT2, followed by SSFIV.

PLAYER LIST

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Yuu-chan
geriondc
Bull
Ryou (Deku)
Pekos
Yuu
Okaty
Youhei
Mobi
Biihachi
Killer Machine
Shake
Sasshii
Kurokuro
Shana
FRB AO
Nobi
Mamba!!
Dandy
Uunko Water

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Ver.2012

A Block

Iori
Godman
Eita
Taigaaa
Yukimura
Rokusasu
Kindevu
brokkenG

B Block

dath
Uryo
Kawaguuchi
Kindo
Jaba
Habanero Shachou
Hige Koi Real
Yama-san

C Block

Narumeron
Kouji KOG
Dark Frame Master
Taku@Ratio4
Sabohani
YHC-Mochi
Gonzalez
Soregashi

D Block

Karipaku
Haitani
Tsurugi
Chrom
Kougii
Chiiya
Machaboo
Sasaki

The offline portion later this month is a paid broadcast unfortunately, but that's for a later time!

Thanks USD!

Don't like the sound of an online tourney but I'm rooting for Ryou. I imagine that Nobi should have no trouble with this since he does have like the highest rank online with a secondary team.

no, not at all.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63719951]Like a Skullgirls or Jojo's character[/QUOTE]

but both of those games launched with many (JoJo's) or a few (Skullgirls) more than three characters, so why can't your theoretical one?

Nyoro SF

Hm, I dunno...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63740566]Because it's theoretically only being made by one person. And it's free.[/QUOTE]

I'll try out any 2D fighting game if it's free. You should have mentioned that first.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63740566]Because it's theoretically only being made by one person. And it's free.[/QUOTE]
Thinking about trying to make a game, GB?

Guys Street Fighter 1 had only two characters and that was clearly the most complex game ever.

I mean, how many people do you know can pull off a Shoryuken 100% of the time in that game?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63744451]Weighing my options.[/QUOTE]

I'll help make a game

Or put my name on the credits

Or something.

Have your people call my people.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If the character designs are interesting, then yeah.

kick51

Banned
Guys Street Fighter 1 had only two characters and that was clearly the most complex game ever.

I mean, how many people do you know can pull off a Shoryuken 100% of the time in that game?

I can almost do that, on Vita. The Vita d-pad makes stuff "easy" to pull off in that game and trivializes the arcade mode. By easy, I mean like 1 in 3 times you get the move you're trying to do, as opposed to almost never on any other pad or stick. Vita d-pad is just godlike.

name them rock, paper, and scissors

I can almost do that, on Vita. The Vita d-pad makes stuff "easy" to pull off in that game and trivializes the arcade mode. By easy, I mean like 1 in 3 times you get the move you're trying to do, as opposed to almost never on any other pad or stick. Vita d-pad is just godlike.

That's cheating dawg

I liked what I saw in streams and Arturo/others who have played it liked it so a lot of positive reactions vs the skullgirls guy. Ill pick the former.

Arturo and Max are positive about every new game (not saying they're shills, they're just positive about new fighting games) and MikeZ actually worked on the game, so I don't know why you'd value half-day impressions more than insider info.

I actually hope it's ass and broken as fuck because that's what KI is about. I just hope people don't pressure TOs into buying a ton of Xbones just to play this one game.

Dahbomb

So with Microsoft taking the line that foreign deployed troops should keep playing on 360 if they can't connect every 24 hours, there is no way they are granting some sort of tournament waiver.

(What a cluster. They've made national headlines. Rachel Maddow tweeting negatively about a videogame console?)
MS's PR of buy the 360 to counter the DRM bull shit has to be among the worst PR moves in recent memory. Coupled with the news that XBL ban.will lock you out of game this is a disaster about to happen. The backlash from the average consumer is going to be absurd.

Arturo and Max are positive about every new game (not saying they're shills, they're just positive about new fighting games) and MikeZ actually worked on the game, so I don't know why you'd value half-day impressions more than insider info.

I actually hope it's ass and broken as fuck because that's what KI is about. I just hope people don't pressure TOs into buying a ton of Xbones just to play this one game.

I question the integrity of a paid consultant for a game who immediately slams it online. I'll put more trust in what the other guys say.

Top Bottom