• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

alstein

If anyone has interest in KI3, you might want to listen to Salty cupcakes tonight.

Mike Z pretty much put the design of the game on blast hard as much as he could without breaking NDA.

MrKayle

Mike Z pretty much put the design of the game on blast hard as much as he could without breaking NDA.

No timestamp off the top of my head , but it was after 1AM ET (maybe 1:30AM) when it begun. Lasted a good while

care to share any of what he had to say with those of us who aren't able to watch this video at the moment?

KI talk at 2:26:40

Basically says it's broken and has a ton of bad mechanics, which leads to stuff like 50% unbreakable combos and block string infinites, plus it plays nothing like old KI and none of the development team (except FilthyRich now I guess) has experience working on fighting games. Also it's on the xbone.

I've forgotten Salty Cupcakes was airing the past two weeks. Step it up thread
This is FGW, not the OT. Salty airs on the same day and time as the runback. Lots of competition on Thursdays for those precious minutes.

Melty blood devs showing up was a nice surprise though. The female dev speaking so ultra sincere and nervous that it nearly made me vomit rainbows. I'd have bought melty by now if it were available on PC at a good price.

Edit: Since when did Salty start at 10PM EDT?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Basically says it's broken and has a ton of bad mechanics, which leads to stuff like 50% unbreakable combos and block string infinites, plus it plays nothing like old KI and none of the development team (except FilthyRich now I guess) has experience working on fighting games. Also it's on the xbone.

Yeah there's pretty much no way this game isn't gonna be broken as fuck. Fighting games are really hard to do well even if you have a ton of experience.

FilthyRich is definitely a good guy to have on the team but I don't know if he's had any experience actually making fighting games either. Even if he has, he's just one dude.

I hope the game is good though. The world needs more US-developed fighting games.

MrKayle

Basically says it's broken and has a ton of bad mechanics, which leads to stuff like 50% unbreakable combos and block string infinites

well, not to defend KI or Xbone software, but it's not a finished product. it's a game in development. trashing it as "broken" and having "bad mechanics" is a bit premature, I'd say.

Mike Z sounds salty since nobody cares about skullgirls

pwned

This is FGW, not the OT. Salty airs on the same day and time as the runback. Lots of competition on Thursdays for those precious minutes.

Melty blood devs showing up was a nice surprise though. The female dev speaking so ultra sincere and nervous that it nearly made me vomit rainbows. I'd have bought melty by now if it were available on PC at a good price.

I'm hoping they actually will bring UNiB to Steam... I'd mark out on that fast, as broken as the current game is.

Salty started late, I don't remember why. Maybe just because post-E3.

Killer Insticnt wouldn't be KI without being broken Mike Z sounds salty since nobody cares about skullgirls

The guy is an OG KI nut, he even owns the original arcade cabinet. He knows his shit, and I'm pretty sure he's advising the dev team for a reason. Kinda surprised people still think this stuff.

well, not to defend KI or Xbone software, but it's not a finished product. it's a game in development. trashing it as "broken" and having "bad mechanics" is a bit premature, I'd say.

pwned

Yeah he goes into that but he's too NDA-ed to really give anything particularly juicy.

He says it's the same situation as SFxT where everyone who played it for half an hour thought it was amazing, because they didn't have a chance to figure out the system.

Being developed by Double Helix definitely puts it in the "guilty until proven innocent" category for me.

That's like saying people shouldn't link Mahvel here, and nobody ever objected to Salty Cupcakes getting linked here in previous weeks.

SmokeMaxX

That's like saying people shouldn't link Mahvel here, and nobody ever objected to Salty Cupcakes getting linked here in previous weeks.
Did someone ask the OP to link to Salty Cupcakes and was denied? Seems more like it wasn't linked because no Skullgirls fan cared enough to ask for it to be linked. If that's the truth, then Skullgirls fans need to step it up.

Salty is linked just fine in the OP. The time is off though. I could have sworn it always started at 11PM EST.

Enzo even linked Skullheart during the excellent clean up of the OP so I don't see the drama here.
What the hell did you read in my post?

Your first sentence implies that people shouldn't give a heads up when it starts here because they should do it in the OT instead. Except I don't visit the OT cause I don't play the game but still like watching Salty for the Squigly updates/MikeZ rants.
One gets more discussion than the other so stuff gets glossed over sometimes. Shit, it happened to Ultrachen on the regular since everyone was caught up in FGC Jerry Springer. That was the gist of my post. I don't have the time or the energy to go all stream nazi on everyone.

Ain't no one got time for Triforce or 9AM finals drama in the SG OT. Read the post, not a sentence.

Was filthierich a designer at Namco or just a hype man/PR mouth?

SmokeMaxX

Your first sentence implies that people shouldn't give a heads up when it starts here because they should do it in the OT instead. Except I don't visit the OT cause I don't play the game but still like watching Salty for the Squigly updates/MikeZ rants.

If you're the one who cares about Skullgirls, shouldn't you keep up with Salty Cupcakes and post it in this thread? OP does enough work as it is just making the OP. Not sure why every stream is now his responsibility...

I'd say the same thing about Marvel, AE, KI, Smash, Virtua Fighter, or Clayfighters.

kick51

Banned
Isn't that a bit defeatist

rip skullgirls

You should keep track and post when Skullgirls stuff is coming up.

If you don't see someone repping a game in this thread, take the initiative.

Not surprising.

If you're the one who cares about Skullgirls, shouldn't you keep up with Salty Cupcakes and post it in this thread? OP does enough work as it is just making the OP. Not sure why every stream is now his responsibility...

I'd say the same thing about Marvel, AE, KI, Smash, Virtua Fighter, or Clayfighters.
Not once did I ever say enzo should update when shows go live. And I do link Salty here when it starts if nobody else has... when i remember it's on.

Isn't that a bit defeatist

rip skullgirls
Skullgirlstombstone_zps62a51726.jpg

I always type Skrullgirls on accident. :-/ If that game existed, it would be a Super Skrull dating sim.

it was fun talking about marvel at trb tonight, hadn't done a full night of commentary at super arcade in... 2013 maybe?
I like your commentary more than people who actually play the game.

If anyone has interest in KI3, you might want to listen to Salty cupcakes tonight.

He mocks the word "hype" AND thinks KI is going to end up like SFxT? A man after my own heart.

Killer Insticnt wouldn't be KI without being broken Mike Z sounds salty since nobody cares about skullgirls
I bet the Skullgirls kickstarter will have grossed more money than KI will make in its entirety.
I wish.

Grecco

The guy is an OG KI nut, he even owns the original arcade cabinet. He knows his shit, and I'm pretty sure he's advising the dev team for a reason. Kinda surprised people still think this stuff.

I liked what I saw in streams and Arturo/others who have played it liked it so a lot of positive reactions vs the skullgirls guy. Ill pick the former.

alstein

Skullgirls because of its good, non-GFWL PC version, will probably have more life in 10 years than most games this gen. You'll be able to play it online at least (provided Steam is still around)

kirblar

Skullgirls because of its good, non-GFWL PC version, will probably have more life in 10 years than most games this gen. You'll be able to play it online at least (provided Steam is still around)
I really hope BBCP gets a PS4 re-release because of this- so many things about to get left in the dust.

Horseress

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63600586]All the women are other skrulls and when you take them back to your room you get assassinated.[/QUOTE]

Would sell more than Skullgirls

"Hey baby would yoMETEORSMASH!u like to have dinner wiMETEORSMASH!th me?"
"Sure, can you pickMETEORSMASH! me at 7?"

people who make all-female fighting games sometimes live in glass houses and perhaps those people mightn't throw stones
He's an adviser to the KI team and is a huge KI fan. It's really obvious who here posts without actually reading what's going on. Also, Skullgirls is getting two male characters in the next year.

I liked what I saw in streams and Arturo/others who have played it liked it so a lot of positive reactions vs the skullgirls guy. Ill pick the former.

That's cool. I just mean, saying he is somehow biased against the game makes no sense. If anything, it's the opposite.

people who make all-female fighting games sometimes live in glass houses and perhaps those people mightn't throw stones

Yeah OK dude.

Top Bottom