• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

vocab

MGS5 actually showed something so I was hype for that. Aside from that and Witcher 3, there's not much for me. KI looks broken as fuck.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
MGS5 fuckin won the Trailer award

TitanFall won the gameplay award.

KI won the "fresh new smell OMG nostalgia but step back a say....ooh..k whatever" award.

Dahbomb

Screwing every market but the US and half the games not being exclusives (the better ones too) did not help.
At all.
I mean, the best trailer was freaking MGS5
Half the games being exclusive (and bear in mind A LOT of games were shown) is still damn good. This is better than what they had for Xbox 360 initially. This time they got Ryse, Titanfall, Halo, Forza, KI, Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive, Quantam Break, Dead Rising 3 etc. Having your console debut some big games trailer like Witcher 3 and MGSV is also a big thing because that's how Microsoft got the COD bandwagon in their favor.

It's not about what you like or what had the best trailer it's really about the quantity of it all. They had a lot of games, they had exclusives. The reason quality doesn't matter right now because we don't know if any of those games will be good or bad. This applies to all companies, Sony/Nintendo included.

Exactly. If everyone had viewed this without the DRM lense, then this was a damn great conference.

I mean Halo 60FPS is a megaton by itself.

And GAF was unviewable for 99% of the conference. I was at work so I only had the Twitch App on my phone and trying to get into GAF. I felt I was in a black out and no one to discuss with.

inb4 "The FEEL of 60 FPS" 2: Master Chief's Boogalo

Dahbomb

My main issue with KI was the hit stop animation. I mean holy shit did that look bad. Otherwise it was actually a rather quick fighter and I like the random animations on the character like on Sabre.

Looks like an actual fighter though... none of this Kinect nonsense at least for now. I can see casuals getting a kick out of it.

Also LOL @ this:

ku-xlarge.gif

I'm really surprised they didn't announce a subsidized X1 model.
Me too. This price point is easy for Sony to beat but they will probably match it or maybe offer 2 SKUs. IMO one model even if expensive is better than 2 models... less confusion that way.

$499 isn't bad but it's not great either. I think Sony can do a $499 PS Eye/Move version and a $399-$450 version without Eye/Move.

Not looking forward to tournaments trying to use the Xbone. Gotta find a place for those Kinects, and make sure that every single on of your consoles is not going to shut down via the offline timer.

Shito

The massive hitstop on those hits were jarring. They managed to beat GG Xrd !
And they managed to beat Blazblue at the long ass combos that do little to no damage at all.
I mean, yeah, KI was about long combos, but this just seems... bleh.

Killer Instinct looks like shit.

Infinite

My main issue with KI was the hit stop animation. I mean holy shit did that look bad. Otherwise it was actually a rather quick fighter and I like the random animations on the character like on Sabre.

Looks like an actual fighter though... none of this Kinect nonsense at least for now. I can see casuals getting a kick out of it.

Also LOL @ this:

ku-xlarge.gif

Yeah like I can't believe they made a rape joke during the press conference. come on now

Chindogg

I was the one interviewed in this article so here's my response to how my words were represented.

I'm disappointed that we're still viewed in a negative light but I'm glad that some of the good things I said were recorded. Overall this is a work in progress for the FGC so its clear that not everything will be sunshine and roses. This is only a first step in moving forward to clear our tainted image.

The show I refused to discuss was OBS. I didn't want to give this guy more ammo than he already had to demonize us. Instead I tried to push to the more positive aspects of the community. As should all of you if you want people to stop shitting on us.

Be the change you want to see.

Honestly this was Microsoft's best conference since their Halo 2 E3 reveal. It was all games all the time including some big announcements like exclusive Twitch deal. It's really a shame about the whole DRM non sense because otherwise I would be seriously contemplating getting an Xbox One in the near future.
Pretty much

It's was a good performance with a giant specter looming overhead. I can skip this with ease.

Infinite

It was a decent press conference for Microsoft I just have no personal interests in anything shown besides MGS and Shingeki no Titan Fall

Dahbomb

semi fighting game related...loosely.

that "Ryse" game has one of the worst/lazy combat design I've ever seen
At first I saw it I was really hyped for it. Always wanted a mass scale Roman empire game in 3rd person perspective.

Then the first QTE happened... and the next 20-30 QTEs.

This is looking like the Lair of this generation. A glorified tech demo that is scant on the game play. I have never seen so much QTEs in such a short span of time in a video game.

vocab

At first I saw it I was really hyped for it. Always wanted a mass scale Roman empire game in 3rd person perspective.

Then the first QTE happened... and the next 20-30 QTEs.

This is looking like the Lair of this generation. A glorified tech demo that is scant on the game play. I have never seen so much QTEs in such a short span of time in a video game.

It's a crytek game. Keep your expectations low as shit.

Dahbomb

Also fucking Kojima man... every E3 he is in he fucking delivers the goods. This guy has perfected video game trailer making into an art form.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I want to see an XBone freeze on the main stage during Killer Instinct grand finals because it failed to authenticate online.

Not looking forward to tournaments trying to use the Xbone. Gotta find a place for those Kinects, and make sure that every single on of your consoles is not going to shut down via the offline timer.

I doubt many tournaments are going to use the xbone anyway, so many disadvantages AND a possibly higher price point. I know some people have nostalgia for KI but that game looks like it will be tournament dead within a month if even that.

Dahbomb

Can't find the conference someone just tell me what happened.
*Conference opened with GODLY MGSV trailer. Not exclusive.
*Xbox Live now uses real money currency instead of MS points.
*Xbox Live now looks to take some features from PS+ like giving you free games every month.
*Exclusive deal with TwitchTV for in console streaming (they demonstrated this with Killer Instinct 3)
*Some indie games shown, Minecraft coming to Xbox One.
*New game Project Spark, sort of like a build your own world/scenario game like LBP but in a more 3D environment.
*Quantum Break shown, was just a random cutscene
*Ryse shown... good graphics, Roman time period but scripted as hell and QTEs all over the place. Potentially the Lair of this generation. Xbox exclusive developed by Crytech.
*Dead Rising 3 shown, Xbox One exclusive (although no word if there will be a PC version). Co-op is confirmed.
*Battlefield 4 shown with a timed exclusive bonus map pack DLC.
*Killer Instinct shown. Different art style from the old game, has a similar announcer guy. Shitty hit stop animations all over the game but doesn't appear to be a Kinect driven fighter. Made by Double Helix, not Rare.
*New IP of Black Tusk studios shown, some guy is rappeling down a huge skyscraper. Probably just a cutscene.
*Halo teased, probably not in-game but will come out in 2014 and will just be called "Halo". Will be in 60FPS so that's a big deal. Exclusive.
*Forza 5 shown, uses a recording AI system that records player habits so that when you aren't playing the AI plays for you. They say that it's Cloud based but come on... this has been done before. Exclusive of course.
*Titanfall shown at the end, mecha shooter from EA developed by Respawn studios (Source engine). Next gen console timed exclusive only... will come on PS3, 360, PC as well.
*Witcher 3 shown, more open world. Not exclusive.
*Crimson Dragon shown (probably exclusive), spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon.
*Sunset Overdrive shown, Xbox exclusive MS published developed by Imsomniac. The biggest betrayalton of E3 thus far.
*World of Tank announced for Xbox 360, Gold members play it free.
*Xbox Mini announced, I actually missed this part of the conference so I don't know what it does.

I think that's all.

kirblar

I know.

Kiiinda don't care about any of those games.
Real talk? I don't trust American FG developers because of the lack of human capital here in the states with the genre. Devs just don't have experience with them. (Divekick is an exception because it's relatively simple.)

vocab

Real talk? I don't trust American FG developers because of the lack of human capital here in the states with the genre. Devs just don't have experience with them. (Divekick is an exception because it's relatively simple.)

NRS has way more experience with Fighters than a company who was the B team for Silent Hill. Just saying.

Top Bottom