• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

Wonder if we'll hear an S3 announcement at EVO or not.

Also, do you guys think we'll see an SFV character reveal at CEO?

I don't think we're going to get a KI season 3 announcement at EVO. It'll be the game's story mode, which has not been shown.

Regarding SFV, my ideal scenario is two more character reveals by EVO. That way, there's eight characters available for the PS4 beta, which is a fine number.

fader

I'd say 10% of UMvC3's soundtrack is good. That is being generous. So many garbage techno retunes in that game. Dormammu's theme is one of the worst. The only great song off the top of my head is Arthur's.

I always liked Jill, Viper, Trish, X-23 (It grew on me...), Haggar, Firebrand, and Arthur.

Kumubou

Killer Instinct for PC will have cross buy! All the KI content you own for Xbox One will be there for you on PC.

Dave Lang confirmed this via Twitter.
Yooooooooooo

I actually bought both seasons of KI when they were on sale with a bunch of Microsoft points that I bought hella cheap that I had to dump because the points were expiring because of the changeover to real money, taking a bit of a crazy bet that the game would either be cross-buy or I would find a good XBone deal cheap.

I'm in there hella hard. Is this launching with Windows 10?

zlatko

Banned
Wolf Theme is 6/10.

I skipped the Alphas - what's good?

Repressed = notice boobs more?

Come on man, those boobs were flailing around like a man on fire. You might want to get your eyes checked if they eluded you all day.

You sold your Wii U, too. :p That's 2/3 of the current gen consoles you've tossed aside, haha. While I'm not inclined at all to buy an XB1, I wouldn't sell it if it fell in my lap, either. No idea what I would buy for it, but I would be covered for Scalebound at least.

Oh, the music in the character videos is it?

I'd say 10% of UMvC3's soundtrack is good. That is being generous. So many garbage techno retunes in that game. Dormammu's theme is one of the worst. The only great song off the top of my head is Arthur's.

Granted I sold the XB1 to get a Wii U.

I had to part ways with the Wii U due to finances.

If I could still have it I would. I actually now have zero games for my PS4 as well.

I'm literally only playing Hearthstone on mobile, and some USF4 on PC since I can run it.

Going to be a long summer. At least SF5 beta will happen for me thanks to pre order on Amazon lol.

If I could still have a Wii U my Greninja grind would be mad strong.

mbpm1

you crazy breh

Not joking tho. SF4 has some cool tunes but the vast majority is basically the Deejay of fighting game music, generic, overshadowed by its betters on the few points it's good at, and continually mired in mediocrity.

That's just my opinion tho lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
10 reveals to space over the rest of the year. Could definitely be one there. Definitely one at EVO, likely at CCup as well.

Beta changes things a fair bit in terms of schedule.
Yeah, it seems like they're pretty good at keeping builds up to date with announcements though, so I expect the beta to include the EVO character (or characters; Capcom has a habit of chunking things up a lot of the time).

tumblr_nq29mlAUvS1sm3dvto1_1280.jpg
This is good lol

Pompadour

I love boob jiggle, but that isn't nice jiggle. It's just silly, like OMG Mode on DoA5. Breasts that fly everywhere are like the inverse of a botched boob job - just terrible in a completely different way. The little joint bounce Chun-li had in Marvel was appealing, tasteful, and realistic. I would like for the bounce to have enjoyable realism, not Gainax tittyquakes.

Chun-Li and Cammy suddenly getting breast augmentation seems odd. Street Fighter never seemed pandering in that regard, at least as far as fighting games. Which of course means nothing when there's a fighting game where the women look identical aside from hair and clothing in this interchangeable, big breasted Barbie style. You know what butters DOA's bread when their new character was advertised as having the biggest tits yet. She's like Dead or Alive's Oni if power levels = cup size. They were both probably invented for similar reasons, too.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't think we're going to get a KI season 3 announcement at EVO. It'll be the game's story mode, which has not been shown.

Regarding SFV, my ideal scenario is two more character reveals by EVO. That way, there's eight characters available for the PS4 beta, which is a fine number.

Season 2 story mode comes out in less than 2 weeks.

KI is on xbox daily live tomorrow... with "the next chapter"

So it might be story mode... or they might be announcing season 3.

If it's not tomorrow, it'll be at EVO or Gamescom

Other than KI's soundtrack, only fighting game music that still makes an impression on me are old tracks from stuff like VF2 or Tekken 3. Even when playing Final Showdown my brain just tunes out the music in those stages automatically.

Riposte

Chun Li got that Masami Obari jiggle. Competing with Mai from the KoF anime.

There's a lot of good OSTs out there. SFIV is below par.

I personally really like the new GG.

Alpha 3 music mostly sucked and was forgettable. Alpha 2 is where it's at
I don't know I liked Guy's, Ken's, Karin's, Vega's, Sagat's, and Ryu's themes. But I really like grunge music so that's probably why. Felt SFA3 stage music had a raw intensity to them..

So seeing Karst likes jazzier stuff probably should stick to SFA2 or SF3 music.. Here's Ken's Alpha 3 stage (but you have to watch Ken's 80's pool stage for the full effect)..

I feel you. I think alpha 3 had a nice upbeat bibe, just some repetitive instrumentations. Not iconic but really good for what it is.
I think it was because they remade all the themes for SFA3, while SFA2 borrowed some from SFA1 I think (or slightly remixed them)? Would have been nice to have SFA2 song options for all stages in SFA3 too, especially dat final fight theme..

Sayah

You got issues.

X-23 theme alone makes the soundtrack good.

Anywho, Tekken 5 has the best music of all time in the fighting genre (imo).

More samples:
Moonlit Wilderness
City at Sunset (love the beat past the 30 second mark)
Waterfall
Dragon's Nest
Character Select

Dahbomb

Have to give a nod to Tekken 5 for among the best soundtracks of all time.

I enjoy the soundtracks in the SC games as well.

UMVC3 has some good tracks for sure. Captain America, Nova, Hawkeye, Vergil (da gawd) are all tight. Some of the stage ones are good too like the Day light Harrier stage and the X men stage theme. Though there are some pretty bad ones like the Iron Man one.

Unless I'm in jazz appreciation mode yeah. Not a good fit for a fighting game.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=164821494&postcount=53
I went through these, giving them each about a minute, and they're pretty damn good. Not digging Hisako or Fulgore, but the rest is really solid. Loving Cinder and Spinal. I stand corrected - there's some great music here. Thanks for opening me up to it.

I still love jazz to go with my fighters, though. Jazz or rock.

Someone should try country music just to...I actually teared up typing that. I will stop myself.

I always liked Jill, Viper, Trish, X-23 (It grew on me...), Haggar, Firebrand, and Arthur.
Firebrand was good, too. Magneto except for the Hawking portion. MODOK because it will forever remind me of "Never say no to panda". I can't say the rest really appealed to me, but they weren't terrible. A few low tier trash songs like Iron Man and Dante stick out, though. Wolverine gets a pass for sounding like Power Rangers at the start.

Granted I sold the XB1 to get a Wii U.

I had to part ways with the Wii U due to finances.

If I could still have it I would. I actually now have zero games for my PS4 as well.

I'm literally only playing Hearthstone on mobile, and some USF4 on PC since I can run it.

Going to be a long summer. At least SF5 beta will happen for me thanks to pre order on Amazon lol.

If I could still have a Wii U my Greninja grind would be mad strong.
What are you going to play the beta on? :p

FGW | "They'll jiggle?" I inquired.
Incredible interview.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't know I liked Guy's, Ken's, Karin's, Vega's, Sagat's, and Ryu's themes. But I really like grunge music so that's probably why. Felt SFA3 stage music had a raw intensity to them..

So seeing Karst likes jazzier stuff probably should stick to SFA2 or SF3 music.. Here's Ken's Alpha 3 stage (but you have to watch Ken's 80's pool stage for the full effect)..

I think it was because they remade all the themes for SFA3, while SFA2 borrowed some from SFA1 I think?
For me I preferred SFA2 over SFA3's music, but I can see why people like the latter. I think the reason why I mostly prefer the former is that SFA3 is one of the first Capcom fighters where stage music was created more as just background music. While past games it felt like they tried to define and base it around the character.

Tekken did have some good OSTs. But I am a sucker for the songsGo Shiina composes.

Village

You are nuts way more percentage than that

Hawkeye doesn't even deserve the quality of theme he got

fader

Firebrand was good, too. Magneto except for the Hawking portion. MODOK because it will forever remind me of "Never say no to panda". I can't say the rest really appealed to me, but they weren't terrible. A few low tier trash songs like Iron Man and Dante stick out, though. Wolverine gets a pass for sounding like Power Rangers at the start.

lol.... low tier trash?

I need to teach you how to do this son...

Season 2 story mode comes out in less than 2 weeks.

KI is on xbox daily live tomorrow... with "the next chapter"

So it might be story mode... or they might be announcing season 3.

If it's not tomorrow, it'll be at EVO or Gamescom

Oh, I didn't realize that the story mode was coming so soon.

That gives more credence to a season 3, then! EVO should be more promising in that regard.

Mr. X

Bunch of SFV footage and the discussion is about breasts still.

FGW | We don't talk about fighting games either, actually

You got issues.

Anywho, Tekken 5 has the best music of all time in the fighting genre (imo).

More samples:
Moonlit Wilderness
City at Sunset (love the beat past the 30 second mark)
Waterfall
Dragon's Nest
Character Select
No one song can make a soundtrack good. Otherwise SFIV would have an amazing soundtrack because I still get hype listening to Indestructible.

Chun Li got that Masami Obari jiggle. Competing with Mai from the KoF anime.

There's a lot of good OSTs out there. SFIV is below par.

I personally really like the new GG.
Looked up Masami Obari. Realized this man was a major part of my early adolescence.

Yeah, those are the stage/character themes. The soundtrack is actually pretty vaired though, so maybe you should skim through everyones. I'm sure there's at least one you would like more than others.

Examples of what I mean

Saberwulf
Thunder
Spinal
Maya
Combo
Hisako
Goddamn, that Saberwulf theme - I am having a blast just listening to this. I now kind of want to support KI on the PC. I don't know anything about it other than this music and its ass tier combo system.

Under Night has a good ost
Give me something.

I think it was because they remade all the themes for SFA3, while SFA2 borrowed some from SFA1 I think (or slightly remixed them)? Would have been nice to have SFA2 song options for all stages in SFA3 too, especially dat final fight theme..
I will check the Ken music out after this full Sabrewulf rendition.

zlatko

Banned
I went through these, giving them each about a minute, and they're pretty damn good. Not digging Hisako or Fulgore, but the rest is really solid. Loving Cinder and Spinal. I stand corrected - there's some great music here. Thanks for opening me up to it.

I still love jazz to go with my fighters, though. Jazz or rock.

Someone should try country music just to...I actually teared up typing that. I will stop myself.

What are you going to play the beta on? :p

Incredible interview.

My PS4? Lol. I got a 7 day free trial for PS plus just raring to go once it hits.

XB1 and Wii U gone. All games for PS4 gone.

Still trying to offload a Gamestop Gift card that has $85.21 on it for $75.00 but no takers, and a Wii U pro controller.

FGW | It's about ethics in games' boobs

bam

*hides*
Let Papa Shouta fix it.

You are nuts way more percentage than that

Hawkeye doesn't even deserve the quality of theme he got
It didn't strike me as endearing.

lol.... low tier trash?

I need to teach you how to do this son...
I'm a fanboy, too! :p

I always thought Persona had godlike tunes. I could never understand the lyrics though.
I like P4G's music, and I also liked TWEWY's music. Sometimes repetitive and irritating, but enjoyable in general.

Bunch of SFV footage and the discussion is about breasts still.

FGW | We don't talk about fighting games either, actually
Music, though.

If im ever turned into a FG character, this is my character music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VVnhwB4Gw
Not even original lyrics? I had to turn this off. Disrupting my thinking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I played mainly chun for an hour, this thread is the first time I've heard about the jiggle. Y'all are weird
I didn't PM you about this, but can you test for differences in character health? In case you're still gonna be there the next few days.

Outside of Smash, which doesn't count, Skullgirls is the only fighting game to have an amazing soundtrack in two generations. I don't expect much from SFV. Just don't make it painful to listen to while playing.
SG's OST isn't bad, but most of the tracks kind of felt out of place and lacked the energy you'd expect for something that is supposed to accompany violence. The DLC tracks were a lot better in that regard. BlazBlue had some fantastic FG music on the other hand. The mix of orchestra and rock made for a lot of cool tracks. I wasn't so fond of the increased focus on vocals later on, but Mu-12 and Bang's tracks makes up for all the others.

I like electronic music, but Capcom went overboard with the effects and style in SF4 and MvC3.
Under Night has a good ost
Agreed

I'm especially fond of Linne, Vatista and Yuzuriha's themes. I wish UNiEL were on PC.
You got issues.

You are a good guy

Top Bottom