• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Dev posted this good point:

Player 2 side on the select screen seems to have way less gravity. It's not just Chun's boobs, you'll notice that Birdie's pendant also floats higher.

Twitch chat was going nuts over Chun and Cammy on P2 side lol.

Chev

Does the gravity affect juggles or anything?

Nah, different gravity, it's the one for physics fluff (and as far as we know it' only different on character select). The gravity used in gameplay runs on an entirely different set of rules.

Basically imagine some googly eyes glued on classic SF sprites. The sprites follow standard gameplay rules including the pseudo-gravity they've always used and the google eyes run on a physics engine with lots of fancy parameters and have no effect on gameplay. Birdie's belly and hair and necklace, Bison's cloak, all the boobs, those are UE4 googly eyes.

If you are to run a proper big major on PC with 100+++ signing up T.O need to have the following shit on lock:
[lots of interesting stuff]
A really big thing to keep in mind for PC that isn't obvious is that on windows you cannot absolutely guarantee a constant framerate because the OS may decide to take over resources at any moment. No such problem on console.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Does the gravity affect juggles or anything?

I doubt it. In UE4 you set global gravity but you can also set gravity scale per character model. Should not matter if they are on P2 or P1 side.

Now with the whole P2 side bug it probably physics settings on the clothing and other "jiggly" things that is somehow messing up.

depths20XX

They need to fix that clipping on Birdie's chain on the select screen.

Oh, and Cammy's weird as fuck arm muscles. Shit looks painful.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Oh, and Cammy's weird as fuck arm muscles. Shit looks painful.

Screencap?

A really big thing to keep in mind for PC that isn't obvious is that on windows you cannot absolutely guarantee a constant framerate because the OS may decide to take over resources at any moment. No such problem on console.
Yes, that is why these T.O or companies can't simply go with bare minimum spec and expect everything to be fine. SFIV is one of the least demanding games. These next gen fighters actually need proper hardware to make sure everything runs as it should with no random frame rate dips.

Only way I see that being possible is with proper PC hardware makers backing the tournaments and providing high end gear. End of the day you can turn down all the settings and make the game look like complete shit but viewers will just turn your stream off and go watch a stream that is using PS4 or Xbox One.

kitzkozan

I'm currently watching the E3 edition of Ultrachen and James confirmed that Peter "Combofiend" Rosa seems to be in charge of designing the gameplay: I'm designing this game and who did I learn most of my stuff from: Alex Valle. Combofiend probably fill the role that Keits has within Iron Galaxy which is related to the combat system and the mechanics, which increase my positivity toward the game. I would love to see what he could come up with in a Marvel vs Capcom game.

So is this still a problem on for example, SteamOS?

BadWolf

He's talking about the freeze it causes and how it could give you a chance to analyse the situation and react accordingly.

Oh that.

Your character does get stuck in an activation animation (during which they can be hit) so probably not at very close range at least.

Zissou

I'm currently watching the E3 edition of Ultrachen and James confirmed that Peter "Combofiend" Rosa seems to be in charge of designing the gameplay: I'm designing this game and who did I learn most of my stuff from: Alex Valle. Combofiend probably fill the role that Keits has within Iron Galaxy which is related to the combat system and the mechanics, which increase my positivity toward the game. I would love to see what he could come up with in a Marvel vs Capcom game.

RIP zoning

hitsugi

you played it!? REPORT!

Yup! It's visually stunning and just flows so much better than you might expect when you're actually playing it. I'm a little iffy on the damage but it does create for super high pressure situations.

Right now, everyone feels "good" to be honest. Cammy might be my current favorite, but I haven't put in enough time with Birdie to know how I feel about playing a character like that - he's a lot better than I anticipated him being though.

I'll try out some more specific, combo-oriented things today and report back. The beta being next month is great because this sort of soured my interest in SF4 >.>

BadWolf

So cammy can use low forward vtrigger and go into a special or there's recovery after the vtrigger?

It may depend on the normal and how much hit stun it inflicts but there have definitely been combos in matches where the character would confirm via normal(s), activate vtrigger and then continue the combo.

Edit: You can see a combo here by Momochi where he activated vtrigger in the middle of it:

https://youtu.be/XGT9CxllzGY?t=96

JeTmAn81

"Designer" might be too strong to describe Combofiend's actual role, or at least I'd be surprised if he was given a real design position in light of the fact that he doesn't really have any experience in game design.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh c'mon. There'll be growing pains for sure, but with community support, it'll end up fine I'm sure. Wasn't Super Arcade running Ultra for their tournaments for some time before closing down?

You might be able to avoid issues at huge, sponsored events, but the biggest problem is community-run locals. When 8 different players bring 8 different Xboxes you can expect parity across every system. Meanwhile, I've seen Melty Blood laptop setups where dumbasses have their GPU's v-sync and buffering set such that there's at least 3-4 frame lag on everything. And I'm pretty sure that not even every version of Windows has the same inherent lag.

Switching between PS3 Marvel and 360 Marvel at every other tournament before 360 was standardized was slightly irritating. Switching between differently performing setups mid-tournament is clown shoes.

"Designer" might be too strong to describe Combofiend's actual role, or at least I'd be surprised if he was given a real design position in light of the fact that he doesn't really have any experience in game design.

Yeah there are probably a bunch of people who could refer to their contribution as "designing" the game.

BadWolf

So you have Ono and Capcom working with Dimps (a company filled with ex-Capcom and SNK employees) and they need Combofiend to be in charge of designing gameplay?

Makes sense.

It's clear he has way more influence now than he did with SF4, at least.

Not being directly tied to arcades probably helped a lot with that.

alstein

Most likely the differences between sides is something where Capcom hasn't decided on the art direction, so they've done things two ways and will decide later what they want.

Also, the Western audience is the one who is going to make or break SF5, so they're going to listen to what the Western Audience wants with this. Capcom isn't like Namco where the Japanese arcade comes first.

kitzkozan

True, but how much experience in the videogame industry did Keits have before being in charge of combat system at Iron Galaxy? He joined IG and quickly came up with Divekick and he's now in charge of the gameplay aspect of Killer Instinct. Iron Galaxy found an opportunity to create its own fighting game through a unique partnership with another well-known fighting game player (and tournament organizer) in the Chicagoland area: Adam "Keits" Heart, who joined their team during the CPS2 projects (Marvel vs Capcom Origins, DarkStalkers Resurrection) as a producer. So Keits doesn't have a lot of experience in the industry and he's in charge of the gameplay aspect + the mechanics of Killer Instinct.

You can't compare IG and capcom from a corporate standpoint, but nothing is stopping them from giving chance to people who showcase a talent for a specific job despite a lack of experience.

Pompadour

Whoa. So Bisions V-Trigger also makes it so you don't have to charge to do his specials?

That's insane.

Makes sense. His EX stomp in the trailer seems like he was just doing the same move twice in a row instead of the actual EX stomp just being two stomps.

I do want to see a Bison do three OTG stomps in a row.

JeTmAn81

You might be able to avoid issues at huge, sponsored events, but the biggest problem is community-run locals. When 8 different players bring 8 different Xboxes you can expect parity across every system. Meanwhile, I've seen Melty Blood laptop setups where dumbasses have their GPU's v-sync and buffering set such that there's at least 3-4 frame lag on everything. And I'm pretty sure that not even every version of Windows has the same inherent lag.

Switching between PS3 Marvel and 360 Marvel at every other tournament before 360 was standardized was slightly irritating. Switching between differently performing setups mid-tournament is clown shoes.

You're pretty much describing why people even buy consoles. Plug and play.

Kumubou

The "best" part about this is that if you do go all the way and fully optimize the computer for input delay, people can then complain that it feels off because it's too fast! People's timing will be thrown off because there's less input delay than what most people's setups have. It's like how UMvC3 players refuse to play on CRTs now because the timing is too different.

Then there's all of the random dumb stuff that can happen on PCs. Here's an example from a ranbat I helped run last weekend. I was running a small MBCC side tourney at the event, and I had brought a setup and tested it right before I left to make sure everything worked and ran properly. I get to the venue and set up and the game starts crashing at the character select screen out of nowhere. The solution that I found was... to plug a headphone cable into the computer's audio out port. Once i did that, with no other clear change to the computer's configuration, the game started working again. Huh???????

I guess there's a bit of a solution once you become eeeeeeeeeee-sports enough to have a sponsor supply a standard set of PCs and image them all the same, but for grassroots events? If I had to make sure that 50 different PC setups all ran the same, I think I would go insane in the process.

It's awesome that we now have three fighting game veterans out there in charge of designing fighting games we all play.

Thulius

His trigger also lasts a heck of a long time.

After about 15 seconds it looked like the v-gauge was still at over 75 percent.

The way it is now, using the buffed specials during powerup v-triggers costs a chunk of the v-gauge. Cammy's lasts a long time if you don't actually do anything with it, but 2 cannon drills and it's gone.

You can see scissor kicks draining Bison's meter in this video: https://youtu.be/-j9fJNt9NnQ?&t=139

BadWolf

The way it is now, using the buffed specials during powerup v-triggers costs a chunk of the v-gauge. Cammy's lasts a long time if you don't actually do anything with it, but 2 cannon drills and it's gone.

You can see scissor kicks draining Bison's meter in this video: https://youtu.be/-j9fJNt9NnQ?&t=139

Yup, but If you play Bison normally without spamming too much then you can have him stay in V-trigger a pretty long time with access to the teleport movement etc.

Kimosabae

Banned
i don't know if sf4 was seth's "dream game" as much as the idea of working on a sf game beig a dream to him.

Not a peep regarding soulcalibur.

So sad

Top Bottom