• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

i don't know if sf4 was seth's "dream game" as much as the idea of working on a sf game beig a dream to him.

Not a peep regarding soulcalibur.

So sad
I recall him exactly saying SFIV was his dream game before. Even during Marvel development, he would talk about it.

I wonder where S-Kill and Christian Svenson ended up...

BadWolf

Not yet.

I think we're getting a lot of these design choices (esp w/ speed/damage) explicitly because it's not going to be in arcades.

No arcade version yet is probably because arcades aren't as profitable for them as they are for Namco and Tekken.

They are the opposite in that regard (SF makes most of its money on consoles).

zlatko

Banned
yeah, among other things

G7X8

Sayad

Not yet.

I think we're getting a lot of these design choices (esp w/ speed/damage) explicitly because it's not going to be in arcades.
Are you talking about the rounds being shorter? Because if so, that means nothing, arcades will just switch to 3 out 5 rounds.

Don't think it's coming to arcades anytime soon though.

kirblar

No arcade version yet is probably because arcades aren't as profitable for them as they are for Namco and Tekken.

They are the opposite in that regard (SF makes most of its money on consoles).
It's pretty blatantly because Sony is partially funding it.

No, I mean that players in arcades would be unhappy with spending a dollar to get blown up in 30 seconds.

kirblar

Sony's had cross-play before with Portal 2. It's an additional revenue stream that doesn't cut into their core business. Microsoft's doing it too.

BadWolf

Sony's had cross-play before with Portal 2. It's an additional revenue stream that doesn't cut into their core business.

I don't see how having an arcade version cuts into their business.

The PC version was most likely Capcom's call and resulted in a cheaper deal for Sony overall.

kirblar

A PC version was most likely Capcom's call and resulted in a cheaper deal for Sony overall.
Arcade version would require a lot more resources on Sony's end for development due to it being on a different hardware platform. It also puts a lot of potential constraints on them w/ how they release characters/content and/or the max specs for the game.

edit: This is very similar to the MKX "We're making the game we want for PS4/XB1. We'll figure out how to get it to PS360 later" mindset.

jerry1594

The PC version was most likely Capcom's call and resulted in a cheaper deal for Sony overall.
Arcade release means less japanese people get a ps4, and console sales are really bad as it is.

Shouta

"Designer" might be too strong to describe Combofiend's actual role, or at least I'd be surprised if he was given a real design position in light of the fact that he doesn't really have any experience in game design.

Let's be honest though, there are a lot of game designers in the industry that don't really have any idea of how to actually design either, lol. So it wouldn't surprise me if he was a designer on the game as well in some capacity and more than than just a consultant.

You might be able to avoid issues at huge, sponsored events, but the biggest problem is community-run locals. When 8 different players bring 8 different Xboxes you can expect parity across every system. Meanwhile, I've seen Melty Blood laptop setups where dumbasses have their GPU's v-sync and buffering set such that there's at least 3-4 frame lag on everything. And I'm pretty sure that not even every version of Windows has the same inherent lag.

Switching between PS3 Marvel and 360 Marvel at every other tournament before 360 was standardized was slightly irritating. Switching between differently performing setups mid-tournament is clown shoes.

Yeah, PC is rough in that respect for running events. That's why it amuses me that Valle keeps pushing PC. Their sponsorships might be behind that though, heh. But yeah, for running events a console provides a lot of benefits to planning and organizing an event. PC only becomes kind of viable with huge backing either in resources or cash.

Infinite

Let's be honest though, there are a lot of game designers in the industry that don't really have any idea of how to actually design either, lol. So it wouldn't surprise me if he was a designer on the game as well in some capacity and more than than just a consultant.

Yeah, PC is rough in that respect for running events. That's why it amuses me that Valle keeps pushing PC. Their sponsorships might be behind that though, heh. But yeah, for running events a console provides a lot of benefits to planning and organizing an event. PC only becomes kind of viable with huge backing either in resources or cash.

Yeah you don't have to know how to program in order to become a game designer. Game design is pretty amorphous anyway.

Skilletor

Arcade release means less japanese people get a ps4, and console sales are really bad as it is.

On the flipside, if popular, would mean a steady stream of income for the game for a long time.

Fighting games don't sell much in Japan anyway, and any consoles bought for SF4 would be a tiny blip on the charts.

ShinMaruku

All the info from Ultradavid and James Chen sold me so much on SFV. Since I will be closer to ground level at start I'll give it a real shot. Now if the add Juri and make her bum match Cammy's or exceeds it, I'll be very VERY happy.

petran79

Banned
Then there's all of the random dumb stuff that can happen on PCs. Here's an example from a ranbat I helped run last weekend. I was running a small MBCC side tourney at the event, and I had brought a setup and tested it right before I left to make sure everything worked and ran properly. I get to the venue and set up and the game starts crashing at the character select screen out of nowhere. The solution that I found was... to plug a headphone cable into the computer's audio out port. Once i did that, with no other clear change to the computer's configuration, the game started working again. Huh???????

I guess there's a bit of a solution once you become eeeeeeeeeee-sports enough to have a sponsor supply a standard set of PCs and image them all the same, but for grassroots events? If I had to make sure that 50 different PC setups all ran the same, I think I would go insane in the process.

One other solution would probably be to re-install DirectX 9
Some FG are indeed so badly optimised for PC.

If you switch controllers on GG AC+ R on Steam, you get constant crashes, related to Directinput. Game requires you to use the same controller.

SNK recently released KOF98 and 2002 on Steam.
Problem is that if you install the game on any hard drive larger than 2 TB, you get no BGM!
None at all in KOF98, just 10/39 tracks in KOF2002. KOFXIII did not run at all, dont know if it has been fixed yet. But for KOF98-2002 problem is still active. At least someone released the AST patch for those games!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
im legit sure im gonna body you in sf v

You lucky I like your avatar, if it weren't for that, I would tear into you homie.

Skull girls on PC being less than $3.00 is crazy.

Too bad the game visually does nothing for me. That's a deal. 2 pack is $3.74 lol.

Play it, I know you'll like it. I didn't like it visually either until I played it. Its an awesome game.

yas

jerry1594

Birdie kind of reminds me of Alex, being a "grappler" but with a more generalized moveset. Except while Alex's moveset was quite shit from normals to supers, Birdie is strong in everything so far. But he is unfinished though right?
On the flipside, if popular, would mean a steady stream of income for the game for a long time.

Fighting games don't sell much in Japan anyway, and any consoles bought for SF4 would be a tiny blip on the charts.
Well that's obviously in Capcom's best interest, but Sony's best interest is selling ps4's, and Sony's the one bankrolling this.

kirblar

He literally just mentioned on stream that he was involved in the initial design.

Malice215

Not a peep regarding soulcalibur.

So sad

I feel some actual details would have leaked if they were ready to announce something at E3 like how Dark Souls 3 was leaked. Plus Street Fighter is going to have most people's attention, so it doesn't make sense to announce a new game now to compete against it and cannibalize sales.

And on a personal level, I don't want them to make an announcement now because I want them to take as long as they need to make the best game possible, instead of making an announcement now and pushing the game out the door which is what happened with SCV so that it didn't compete against SFxT which was also releasing in the same window in 2012.

Arcade version would require a lot more resources on Sony's end for development due to it being on a different hardware platform. It also puts a lot of potential constraints on them w/ how they release characters/content and/or the max specs for the game.

An arcade version requires minimal resources if they wanted to make one. Arcade machines run on PC hardware, and SFV is running on Unreal Engine which is cross-platform. It really comes down to a business decision because if you're Sony, an arcade version doesn't make sense when you're trying to sell consoles after putting up a grip of money for SFV.

As for PC, it's good to see more fighting games on the platform, but it's still not an ideal environment for competitive tournaments. We saw the hassles with WNF tried to run just one game on PC.

Skilletor

Well that's obviously in Capcom's best interest, but Sony's best interest is selling ps4's, and Sony's the one bankrolling this.

Maybe, but they're (Sony) helping out with Dissidia and an arcade release, so it seems super silly not to do the same with a game of Street Fighter's legacy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel some actual details would have leaked if they were ready to announce something at E3 like how Dark Souls 3 was leaked. Plus Street Fighter is going to have most people's attention, so it doesn't make sense to announce a new game now to compete against it and cannibalize sales.

And on a personal level, I don't want them to make an announcement now because I want them to take as long as they need to make the best game possible, instead of making an announcement now and pushing the game out the door which is what happened with SCV so that it didn't compete against SFxT which was also releasing in the same window in 2012.
It did seem a bit early and premature, and perhaps it's not the right venue for such an announcement (I don't think it would have been overshadowed TBH).

I'm just curious what that title is on the show floor. I presume a wrestling game.

BadWolf

It would be in Sony's best interests to keep it PS4 only but that isn't what is happening, there is also a PC version and I highly doubt Sony is giving them money for that side of things.

Whether an arcade release happens will be up to Ono/Capcom imo and if it is worth their time and money considering that they will be doing it pretty much only for Japan.

jerry1594

It would be in Sony's best interests to keep it PS4 only but that isn't what is happening, there is also a PC version and I highly doubt Sony is giving them money for that side of things.

Whether an arcade release happens will be up to Ono/Capcom imo and if it is worth their time and money considering that they will be doing it pretty much only for Japan.
PC is a piss in an olympic pool in Japan, arcade isn't. I do think an arcade release will happen eventually though. Just not before the game has moved enough units or somebody is content with the install base.

Uncle AJ

Got an event lined up this Saturday you guys might be interested in. We’re doing a 5v5 team battle in MKX between long-time rivals Kansas City and St. Louis. Featuring KhaoticRaptor fresh off his 5th place finish at Combo Breaker, and our very own Xevren!

maxout-june20-hype.jpg

Team Kansas City
Xevren: Noxious Reptile
R.T.Y: Thunder God Raiden
StarOcean: Venomous D’Vorrah
GetThere1Time: Covert Ops Sonya
GinJeremy: War God Kotal Kahn

Team St. Louis
KhaoticRaptor: Shirai Ryu Takeda
Black Ken: Bojutsu Kung Jin
Mike Webb: Hollywood Cassie Cage
Beezibop: Grandmaster Sub-Zero
MajinBerserker: Ravenous Mileena

Scheduled start time for this battle is 8:00 PM CST on Saturday. Please spread the word in the MKX community and tell them to tune into http://twitch.tv/kcsrk!

Got an event lined up this Saturday you guys might be interested in. We’re doing a 5v5 team battle in MKX between long-time rivals Kansas City and St. Louis. Featuring KhaoticRaptor fresh off his 5th place finish at Combo Breaker, and our very own Xevren!

maxout-june20-hype.jpg

Team Kansas City

Team St. Louis

Scheduled start time for this battle is 8:00 PM CST on Saturday. Please spread the word in the MKX community and tell them to tune into http://twitch.tv/kcsrk!

we had a guy come through from st. louis (i think columbia) to our locals last week. Said he helps connect KC w/ St. Louis

Skab

maxout-june20-hype.jpg

Team Kansas City

Team St. Louis

As a St. Louis resident, it's always nice to see things happen in the area.

petghost

Banned
just watched max's video abot 5. he sounds way less enthused about it compared to david/jwong. says it feels like 4 and also compares it to sf3 new generation.

Top Bottom