• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Max has been kinda negative of the game and it's his opinion but I think the type for SF game he wants wouldn't cater to a lot of people... That's just my two cents on it. Adding multiple V-Triggers would add a great amount of depth to the game but it'll be difficult determining what V-Triggers they should get and how to balance it in the overall meta of the game.

Edit:

After watching the video, I seem to have misunderstood the multiple V-triggers argument. It would be really interesting to add other Trigger options in the game. Although the same issue will arise as I stated earlier.

I got you too when SF5 comes out =D

I'm #1 in your heart.

Infinite

multiple v-triggers sounds interesting but hella hard to balance.
Possibly but they gotta be up to the challenge
Max has been kinda negative of the game and it's his opinion but I think the type for SF game he wants wouldn't cater to a lot of people... That's just my two cents on it. Adding multiple V-Triggers would add a great amount of depth to the game but it'll be difficult determining what V-Triggers they should get and how to balance it in the overall meta of the game.

I'm #1 in your heart.

What type of street fighter game you think max thinks he wants?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've been harping on about SFV needing an -ism system for years. Now that we have SFV, I don't think we need it, but it would add a significant layer of depth that I think games like MKX benefit from a LOT.

For all we know it's already in the cards, but I don't think it's something they should do for launch. Balance needs to be as good as possible for launch to keep casuals abuzz about how good the balance is and retain those customers, which is especially important because updates will now all be digital and they've hinted at a steadier stream of them too. We don't need another SFxTK where they're slinging as much shit as they can at the wall and not all of it sticks.

Pappasman

Ya I wouldn't be surprised if maybe a year out from release we get a major update (the "Super" version) that gives everyone a second V-skill.

Rhapsody

Banned
what? after the freeze frame? I'm pretty sure there is no recovery afterwards.
Oops, for some reason my brain got it mixed up. I was thinking of YRC's 6 frames of startup that you can be hit out of. No recovery like you said. I shouldn't try to answer stuff when I wake up.

Sayad

So, about 9 months until release and 10 more characters to reveal. Evo, Gamescom, TGS, CC finals and... Save few for 2016! Would like to see more 2 characters at a time reveals.

vocab

Ultradavid and Justin liking the game while Max is tepid about it is not a good sign.

Ultradavid said SFIV is one of his favorite fighting games. I take what he says or any top player with a grain of salt.

Yeah, that's a game that would not hold up well to modern scrutiny.

It has its issues, but SFIV and SFXT had more issues than CVS2. CVS2's biggest problem is that its not a very good game for tournament organizers to plan around.

CVS2's variety, and totally fan service would be generally well accepted, and it doesn't have the same lack of cohesion as SFXT. All it's mechanics are fully realized while a bit unbalanced.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yeah, that's a game that would not hold up well to modern scrutiny.

After watching the video and letting his points digest, he does bring up quite a few good points. The game does feel like a bare bones version of SF4, harkening back to the SF2/SF3 days with heavy reliance on the poking/neutral game. I personally enjoy seeing a meta like this but in the long run, it'll become a boring spectacle to watch since none of the players are being aggressive. Birdie and Charlies are the only characters I see breaking this mold but since the game is close to beta right now, we can't really say what will become of it. Being spoiled with so many mechanics has made it odd to not see good levels of variety within fighting games. Multiple Triggers would definitely spice it up but there has to be a defined balance between when too little is not enough and too much is overwhelming. That's the midlife identity crisis SFV is going through right now, it wants to be what it used to be but new and appealing. Now I'm having a negative outlook on the game and it hasn't been released yet, hopefully Capcom has some stuff under the works they aren't showing yet.

fader

Oops, for some reason my brain got it mixed up. I was thinking of YRC's 6 frames of startup that you can be hit out of. No recovery like you said. I shouldn't try to answer stuff when I wake up.

270202-coffee-splash.jpg

Sayad

6 frames?! Isn't it less? I have no idea how long it really is but 6 seems a lot!

Onemic

After watching the video and letting his points digest, he does bring up quite a few good points. The game does feel like a bare bones version of SF4, harkening back to the SF2/SF3 days with heavy reliance on the poking/neutral game. I personally enjoy seeing a meta like this but in the long run, it'll become a boring spectacle to watch since none of the players are being aggressive. Birdie and Charlies are the only characters I see breaking this mold but since the game is close to beta right now, we can't really say what will become of it. Being spoiled with so many mechanics has made it odd to not see good levels of variety within fighting games. Multiple Triggers would definitely spice it up but there has to be a defined balance between when too little is not enough and too much is overwhelming. That's the midlife identity crisis SFV is going through right now, it wants to be what it used to be but new and appealing. Now I'm having a negative outlook on the game and it hasn't been released yet, hopefully Capcom has some stuff under the works they aren't showing yet.

The game still has almost a year of development yet. If you remember, SFIV didnt even have traditional hitboxes when it was first being developed and shown to the public. I wouldnt harbour any real negative sentiment about the game when only 6 characters have been announced and a ton of time left in development. Its already changed a ton since December. Tbh Max's opinion makes sense because the game is far from being finished.

At the very least it already looks better than SF4.

Sayah

It's still in development. A lot could change for SFV by release time. It looks great to me and as long as Capcom doesn't pull some last minute gem, pandora, 6 month later on-disc DLC type of shit like they did with SFXTK, I will be getting this Day 1. Sony's involvement will hopefully prevent anything of that sort.

fader

6 frames?! Isn't it less? I have no idea how long it really is but 6 seems a lot!

no for YRC start up is 6 frames (trust me, you do not want this to be less). I think Red Roman Cancel is 1 Frame and Purple is like almost 20 frames.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The game still has almost a year of development yet. If you remember, SFIV didnt even have traditional hitboxes when it was first being developed and shown to the public. I wouldnt harbour any real negative sentiment about the game when only 6 characters have been announced and a ton of time left in development. Its already changed a ton since December. Tbh Max's opinion makes sense because the game is far from being finished.

At the very least it already looks better than SF4.

As long as it distances itself from SF4, I am happy with it. I'd be pretty excited if it ended up like ST with SF3 flow with CvS2 variability with grooves. I ask for too much.

It's still in development. A lot could change for SFV by release time. It looks great to me and as long as Capcom doesn't pull some last minute gem, pandora, 6 month later on-disc DLC type of shit like they did with SFXTK, I will be getting this Day 1. Sony's involvement will hopefully prevent anything of that sort.

Don't forget Square Enix's involvement. I'm still scared/excited what it could be.

Well, Max was never a huge SFIV fan

I hate SFIV but play it since its what SF is right now. A lot of us don't have any options when it comes to other SF games, I still play 3rd Strike but can't find any close locals in my area that plays it weekly.

Well, Max was never a huge SFIV fan

He did play it though. Was part of the 2009 hype, went to arcade infinity. But didn't stay dedicated to follow it through the yearly updates. Average. Also if IV was released with modern fighting games now, I think people would be tepid about it too. The reason it has so much clout is because it started the new age.

Either way, V can be a better game than IV. But anyone who has been here long enough knows that it's never about being the better game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Combo confirmed that you still need to charge with Bison in V-Trigger. It's a myth.

LOL at them switching Chun-Li's side.

Today? Damn lol. Yeah it is.
I never played 3S. I played Alpha 2 a few times in arcades and lost interest.

Ultradavid and Justin liking the game while Max is tepid about it is not a good sign.
I think it is best to remember who preached the good word of SFxT, and put them on the list of people that got sucked into the hype. I still remember UltraDavid saying that Marvel 3 "pisses all over Street Fighter" pre-launch. The guy just gets sucked into hype, which is why he is a great commentator, but maybe not the best analyst of a competitive game's launch quality.

Yup. It was. High level twelve play is fun to watch. Its kinda anime with the instant(ish) air dashes.
Looking this up now.

He looks dumb, though. Like a lumpy Seth.

So SEAM starts on Friday. After looking at the pools (not fixed), here are the notable players competing in SF4.

Japan: Daigo, Nemo, Tonpy, Momochi, Mago, Tokido, Fuudo, Bonchan, Kazunoko, Shiro, Eita, Santarou, Pugera, MOV, Kindevu, Reiketsu, Kichijojiken, KOK, Kawaguchi, Gachikun, Dashio, Sabohani, Matsuri, Itazan, Harideshi, KSK, Kokujin, Patatiwawa, Misse, Furikuri, Gonzales, Dogura, and a couple of other Japanese arcade players.
China: Dark Jiewa, Xiaohai, Dakou
Korea: Infiltration, Poongko
HK: Humanbomb
Malaysia: Chuan
US: Kim123, Marn
Singapore: Xian, Gackt
Taiwan: Gamerbee, RB
UAE: Big Bird, GTR

Everyone forgets that the SF4 scene was kind of bummed out from Vanilla after a year or so. SSF4 saved the scene. (And was and continues to be the best version of the game)

DRE Fei

Not being able to hit confirm from lights is a major adjustment SF4 players will have to make going into SF5 it seems.

Also from what I've seen, the throw/throw bait meta game is much more tense and read-based especially on wake up due to crouch tech being gone and back dash not being invincible.

Top Bottom