• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

alstein

Ultradavid said SFIV is one of his favorite fighting games. I take what he says or any top player with a grain of salt.

It has its issues, but SFIV and SFXT had more issues than CVS2. CVS2's biggest problem is that its not a very good game for tournament organizers to plan around.

CVS2's variety, and totally fan service would be generally well accepted, and it doesn't have the same lack of cohesion as SFXT. All it's mechanics are fully realized while a bit unbalanced.

The poor balance, roll cancelling, and some other stuff would cause rage/rejection if not patched.
A modern CvS2 would end up playing very different than the Dark Ages version.

petghost

Banned
The main thing I want 5 to do is really differentiate itself from 4...not just in mechanics but pace and all that. I actually like 4 a lot but I really hope this game winds up miles away from it so even non fg players can say hey this looks new and somehow different I would like to try that.

So far I think it's doing good.

smurfx

get some go again
did capcom have any sort of conference? saw nothing from them other than sf5. it's not like they don't have any games being made.

Shouta

Ultradavid said SFIV is one of his favorite fighting games. I take what he says or any top player with a grain of salt.

It has its issues, but SFIV and SFXT had more issues than CVS2. CVS2's biggest problem is that its not a very good game for tournament organizers to plan around.

CVS2's variety, and totally fan service would be generally well accepted, and it doesn't have the same lack of cohesion as SFXT. All it's mechanics are fully realized while a bit unbalanced.

CvS2 is a very poor competitive game. It's really unbalanced and roll cancels really kill it even further. Some say it improves the balance by making some chars better but the issue is that it makes the skill ceiling even worse because to even compete, you really need to be able to do it. It's extremely fun, no doubt but it's pretty shoddily put together.

Honestly, as much as I want SFV to bend to my whims so I can benefit from its guaranteed popularity and positive reception by being on the "winning team", it's fine for it to retain its Street Fighter roots.

As someone who I associate with KI, MKX, and in the past Marvel, Max wanting more complexity (multiple triggers as he mentioned) or greater game speed or combos or something like that makes sense, but at the same time it's probably a smart decision from Capcom to keep Street Fighter satisfying the niche it retains among other fighting games, footsies, fundamentals, and being a game that has the mass appeal of seeming simple on the surface, with that "I can do that" factor (until they play someone good and discovered the hidden complexity/depth).

Skilletor

CvS2 is a very poor competitive game. It's really unbalanced and roll cancels really kill it even further. Some say it improves the balance by making some chars better but the issue is that it makes the skill ceiling even worse because to even compete, you really need to be able to do it. It's extremely fun, no doubt but it's pretty shoddily put together.

Agreed. I loved CvS2 on release, and still love the ideas behind the game, but roll cancels absolutely kill it for me. The laughable defense that it makes characters better is just...yeah. You shouldn't need a glitch to make characters better or viable.

As soon as roll cancels became a thing, I stopped playing the game.

petghost

Banned
Mainly I think that cvs2 wouldn't fly today because stream monsters would hate it due to its pace. It's weird how there is this really strong admiration for the game atm. def had some amazing ideas and mechanics tho.

blackadde

The laughable defense that it makes characters better is just...yeah. You shouldn't need a glitch to make characters better or viable.

welcome to fighting games, please enjoy your stay.

cvs2 would be fine if it wasn't just a-sak/bison/vega or c-sagat/blanka/cammy forever. as per usual cc activation totally breaks the game, and certain normals (sagat c. fierce, blanka everything, cammy s.hk) are just way too good and cover way too much space so they slow down the game.

how many people here remember the reaction to cvs2 competitively when it was really active? it was considered the slow, boring turtle-y poke poke fighter before sfiv came out.

Dahbomb

Mike Ross logic:

"Combofiend beat me 3-0 with Nash... hence Nash is the best character in the game!"

Combofiend whoops Mike Ross 3-0 with every single character...

vocab

Of course. It's still a dream game, and would easily hold up today. CVS2 had a lot of untapped potential, just no one was willing to explore it. Seeing that A groove Chang or some good dhalsim play just didn't happen often.

The main thing I want 5 to do is really differentiate itself from 4...not just in mechanics but pace and all that. I actually like 4 a lot but I really hope this game winds up miles away from it so even non fg players can say hey this looks new and somehow different I would like to try that.

So far I think it's doing good.

Yeah from what we have seen it's looking far from SF4. I mean almost everything is changed. No chip out wins, normals causing white health, more damage, hardly any knockdowns, no ultras, less reliant on jabs, etc...

Once ppl figure out how to maximize damage and really make use of their vskills and triggers, it will differentiate itself some more.

zlatko

Banned
I have one worry about SF5: The throws.

Extremely small window to tech it makes me feel I will get destroyed online by throws. :(

Skilletor

welcome to fighting games, please enjoy your stay.

cvs2 would be fine if it wasn't just a-sak/bison/vega or c-sagat/blanka/cammy forever. as per usual cc activation totally breaks the game, and certain normals (sagat c. fierce, blanka everything, cammy s.hk) are just way too good and cover way too much space so they slow down the game.

how many people here remember the reaction to cvs2 competitively when it was really active? it was considered the slow, boring turtle-y poke poke fighter before sfiv came out.

Yeah, CvS2 tourneys took FOR-FUCKING-EVER.

God.

And fuck CCs. In everything they are in. So stupid.

Mainly I think that cvs2 wouldn't fly today because stream monsters would hate it due to its pace. It's weird how there is this really strong admiration for the game atm. def had some amazing ideas and mechanics tho.

The presentation for the game is amazing. That was one of the things I loved about it as a kid.

DRE Fei

This is how it should be.

Tech more
backdash more
jump back more

I noticed people getting blown up by meaties on wake up too because of the new system. I like the fact that meaties will be strong compared to SF4 due to the lack of fadc. It forces more hard reads. The fadc combos were cool though. I just really dislike the idea of invincible moves followed by fadc to make them safe.

Skilletor

I noticed people getting blown up by meaties on wake up too because of the new system. I like the fact that meaties will be strong compared to SF4 due to the lack of fadc. It forces more hard reads. The fadc combos were cool though. I just really dislike the idea of invincible moves followed by fadc to make them safe.

meaties are back?

Sayad

no for YRC start up is 6 frames (trust me, you do not want this to be less). I think Red Roman Cancel is 1 Frame and Purple is like almost 20 frames.
Purple RC after the last patch seem almost as fast as YRC, definitely not 20 frames anymore.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i think i want an xbox one >.>
hope they roll out this BC stuff quickly and not like 5 games a month.

dont do it on wake up because its not throw invul on startup, only on active

Totally do it on wakeup. If you get hit/thrown, read better.

Get hit, get thrown, or go for reversal. Make a decision, none of this "I'm confident in my throw defense" crap that SF4 promoted.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yay, you actually gave it a shot :D

What's your team like?

I'm still learning the characters, I've played an unholy amount of Marvel that the game feels so natural. Plus playing melee made landing techs easy to catch on to. I'm doing trials every one or two days on and off to see what the entire roster has to offer. Don't even remember the characters names yet lol but I'm definitely going to pick the game up and learn it well.

kitzkozan

Honestly, as much as I want SFV to bend to my whims so I can benefit from its guaranteed popularity and positive reception by being on the "winning team", it's fine for it to retain its Street Fighter roots.

As someone who I associate with KI, MKX, and in the past Marvel, Max wanting more complexity (multiple triggers as he mentioned) or greater game speed or combos or something like that makes sense, but at the same time it's probably a smart decision from Capcom to keep Street Fighter satisfying the niche it retains among other fighting games, footsies, fundamentals, and being a game that has the mass appeal of seeming simple on the surface, with that "I can do that" factor (until they play someone good and discovered the hidden complexity/depth).

I agree with this, and adding another V-trigger option for each character is a significant amount of testing. It's not going to happen with the first version of the game for sure. Just keep polishing what's in the game for now, given the fact that numerous others trigger are being worked on the remaining characters.

I'm still learning the characters, I've played an unholy amount of Marvel that the game feels so natural. Plus playing melee made landing techs easy to catch on to. I'm doing trials every one or two days on and off to see what the entire roster has to offer. Don't even remember the characters names yet lol but I'm definitely going to pick the game up and learn it well.

There are trials?

mbpm1

Neutral Jump Titty City. Chun Li for Mayor. Kappa
Ever since I heard gamerbee talk about doing it I do it every now and then lol. Its not particularly good with my character but I never even considered it an option and sometimes fun things happen.

alstein

I agree with this, and adding another V-trigger option for each character is a significant amount of testing. It's not going to happen with the first version of the game for sure. Just keep polishing what's in the game for now, given the fact that numerous others trigger are being worked on the remaining characters.

I don't think a 2nd V-trigger is necessary. I think the stream of new characters and balance tweaks will help to keep the game fresh over time.

Totally do it on wakeup. If you get hit/thrown, read better.

Get hit, get thrown, or go for reversal. Make a decision, none of this "I'm confident in my throw defense" crap that SF4 promoted.

I wonder if backdash and take the hit will be a viable option. Are backdashes 1f airborne like they are in KOF13?

Also, is there any sort of wakeup throw invulnerability in SF5 like there is in KOF. I doubt it.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm actually surprised that they made backdashes more as a repositioning tool like 3rd Strike. It's just not something I'd expect from Capcom, but it's a pleasant surprise.

NEO0MJ

There are trials?

Game used to change too much to have trials.

Glad to hear that. Did you pick up any of the DLC characters? Though none of them are Wolverine-like so I'm not sure how interested you'd be in them.

Top Bottom