• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Glad to hear that. Did you pick up any of the DLC characters? Though none of them are Wolverine-like so I'm not sure how interested you'd be in them.

Waifus make it for it more than enough. I'm really interested in Big Band even though he's a charge character lol

I bought the DLC super cheap, so worth it

Mr. X

i don't know if sf4 was seth's "dream game" as much as the idea of working on a sf game beig a dream to him.

Not a peep regarding soulcalibur.

So sad
Nah ask Mike Z, Wiz, James or anyone close to Seth. Seth saved SF4 from what Capcom made and showed off at the private reveal that no one liked. It might not be perfect but he saved it and us.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's going on
Combofiend SFV Kumite going on, with some unbiased commentary

Combo vs. Xian now

Nah ask Mike Z, Wiz, James or anyone close to Seth. Seth saved SF4 from what Capcom made and showed off at the private reveal that no one liked. It might not be perfect but he saved it and us.
This is the first I'm hearing of this being a thing.

Mr. X

Mike Z said it on stream, Wiz tweeted. Maybe a year ago. A lot people will tell you the same story, SF4 invite premier, the game was horrible, Seth went to Japan for months to help make it not shit and had a lot of influence on its direction.

Seth turned down a promotion because he would've had to relocate to Japan. You guys remember that right?

kitzkozan

You basically confirm what I suspect of Dimps and the Capcom fighting game team under Ono: not good enough... :p

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Mike Z said it on stream, Wiz tweeted. Maybe a year ago. A lot people will tell you the same story, SF4 invite premier, the game was horrible, Seth went to Japan for months to help make it not shit and had a lot of influence on its direction.

Seth turned down a promotion because he would've had to relocate to Japan. You guys remember that right?

Seth, why no promotion?! ;_;

I would have loved seeing him help out in the frontlines at Japan.

You basically confirm what I suspect of Dimps and the Capcom fighting game team under Ono: not good enough... :p

I guess that's why they got Combofiend now. I don't know if he's as good as Seth in terms of understanding game design, but he's definitely something. Better to have something rather than nothing.

mbpm1

I guess that's why they got Combofiend now. I don't know if he's as good as Seth in terms of understanding game design, but he's definitely something. Better to have something rather than nothing.

"What game did you make?"

"The game you got bodied in son!"

zlatko

Banned
I wonder these things:

Why was Seth Killian hired back in the day? What credentials did he have? What real role did he have in creation of SF4?

Why was Combofiend chosen out of everyone available? Did Seth K. recommend him? What does Combofiend do outside of the PR stuff that him and Seth shared in this role ? What credentials does he have to do this role ?

mbpm1

Why was Combofiend chosen out of everyone available? Did Seth K. recommend him? What does Combofiend do outside of the PR stuff that him and Seth shared in this role ? What credentials does he have to do this role ?
One answer: Bionic Arm

fader

I wonder these things:

Why was Seth Killian hired back in the day? What credentials did he have? What real role did he have in creation of SF4?

can't answer the combofiend question but you would have to be blind to not see how smart seth is with fighting games. All his write ups and articles exasperated that to the nth degree

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye West is at E3 today. Hopefully he shows up at the Capcom booth and they do a SFV exhibition with some paparazzi.

Actually he left Sony last spring. We don't know what he's doing now.
Yeah, he hinted at wanting to do his own game though.

Actually he left Sony last spring. We don't know what he's doing now.

can't answer the combofiend question but you would have to be blind to not see how smart seth is with fighting games. All his write ups and articles exasperated that to the nth degree
Seth isn't just a great player, he's a very intelligent man. Has a Ph.D and was a professor at a major university. He can intellectualize his experiences, which is a rare skill to have. People like FChamp are great at fighting games, but they can't turn their practical knowledge into theoretical knowledge.

I remember. Sad that the company that created fighting games doesn't know how to make them anymore. Need external support.

Mr. X

I wonder these things:

Seth was a teacher, has a degree in philosophy. He pretty much annoyed Capcom reps at events for years talking about the games and things they need to do to fix it and make it better. They hired him eventually.

No experience in design afaik but if you can dissect it, understandand break it down to others, you probably have a knack for it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All I remember about early SF4 was that they used actual 3D model collision to determine hitboxes/hurtboxes, and that didn't feel right. That wasn't shown to press IIRC, just talked about after the fact and after they went back to traditional hit/hurtboxes.

zlatko

Banned
Seth was a teacher, has a degree in philosophy. He pretty much annoyed Capcom reps at events for years talking about the games and things they need to do to fix it and make it better. They hired him eventually.

No experience in design afaik but if you can dissect it, understandand break it down to others, you probably have a knack for it.

Ah okay cool. S.Kill by far and large is my favorite person to listen to talk about a game.

He's such a likable guy, and his knowledge is tremendous.

I hope he does get to make his own fighting game. I'd play that shit... as long as it isn't loli anime art style. :p

fader

It'll be a combination of nrs and skullgirls

tumblr_lea5gyjn941qbsx9v.gif

Kimosabae

Banned

I've heard that legend a thousand times it doesn't contradict anything I said.

Horseress

Just watched the Maximillian impressions video everyone was talking about a few pages back, and...although I agree some characters have way more interesting v-skills than others (my boy Nash needs some work asap), I can't really agree this game looks like SFIV pace-wise. I know he has played the game and I haven't but I don't know, it just doesn't feels like IV to me at all

Ultradavid and James Chen doesn't seem to feel that way as well, but maybe since they had a lot of time to play with Combofiend they had a different experience than Max

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So jelly of U.S and how you guys get so many majors in a year I would honestly travel to each and every one.

Due to scheduling next Australian major is not on until another 3 month. :( Still hold the weekly consoles at friends place grinding it out, but the thirst is real when it comes to wanting more majors.

My thoughts exactly.

Also...holy shit at stream chat comments sometimes man. "I'd rather watch Spooby lick Broly Legs' Remote"

...wtf man...wtf

Stream chat is always nuts do. People go fucking ham on twitch. Be it thirst, racism, weird shit, or spam.

Just watched the Maximillian impressions video everyone was talking about a few pages back, and...although I agree some characters have way more interesting v-skills than others (my boy Nash needs some work asap), I can't really agree this game looks like SFIV pace-wise. I know he has played the game and I haven't but I don't know, it just doesn't feels like IV to me at all

Ultradavid and James Chen doesn't seem to feel that way as well, but maybe since they had a lot of time to play with Combofiend they had a different experience than Max
Yeah, SFV feels significantly faster. Not just in terms of movement and animations, but just how much more aggressive and rewarding the neutral is.

Those JWong frame traps had me gushing. Tell me SFIV could have anything like that without using cross-ups.

Top Bottom