• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Yeah, SFV feels significantly faster. Not just in terms of movement and animations, but just how much more aggressive and rewarding the neutral is.

Those JWong frame traps had me gushing. Tell me SFIV could have anything like that without using cross-ups.

Yeah I'm fucking loving the pace.

So happy Combofiend is helping with development.

Also, the day they announce MVC4 with Combo helping to make it is the day I cry tears of joy.

SFV + MVC4 = Kreygasm all over the place.

Anne

I wonder if the SFV buffer allows you to do 6231P as a valid DP input and I wonder if special moves take priority over the throw whiff :T

Also, the day they announce MVC4 with Combo helping to make it is the day I cry tears of joy.
It's great because I always felt Peter was a thoughtful and intelligent individual. I am glad to see that opinion bearing out in his creation of this game. The fact that Peter LOVES aggressive play bodes well for any fighting game he touches.

Imagine if, twenty years from now, he somehow ended up helming a Smash game...

I wonder if the SFV buffer allows you to do 6231P as a valid DP input and I wonder if special moves take priority over the throw whiff :T
Didn't Chen say that throws take priority, always? You need to be certain of yourself.

Anne

I wanna know if they always take priority over specials and v-trigger as well. As far as I can tell, people are just talking about buttons. Also it sure as hell won't take priority over something that's already active, which is a thing we can work around for masking throw OS unless another system is built into avoiding that.

hitsugi

Just watched the Maximillian impressions video everyone was talking about a few pages back, and...although I agree some characters have way more interesting v-skills than others (my boy Nash needs some work asap), I can't really agree this game looks like SFIV pace-wise. I know he has played the game and I haven't but I don't know, it just doesn't feels like IV to me at all

Ultradavid and James Chen doesn't seem to feel that way as well, but maybe since they had a lot of time to play with Combofiend they had a different experience than Max

A lot of people don't feel that way. The comparisons to SF4 from people who have spent time with the game are pretty scarce from what I've heard / experienced so far (this week). SFV is a bit quicker on the most basic possible level (think: Desk's video), but there's a lot more to it. The pressure and pacing in the game are simply beyond SF4.

Anne

Neat. Next question I have is what happens if you hit throw during the active frames of something. Like if I hit cr.LP, wait the 3~ frames for it to be active, then hit throw, what happens? What if that LP connects, do I get some weird throw thing or do I get a chain from LP > LK? If it's impossible for throw whiff to come out, what happens?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
It's great because I always felt Peter was a thoughtful and intelligent individual. I am glad to see that opinion bearing out in his creation of this game. The fact that Peter LOVES aggressive play bodes well for any fighting game he touches.

Peter has always been a really intelligent rush down player who was known for using "low tier" characters and making them look amazing. Capcom hiring him was the best thing they could have done.

He talked about how he wanted SFV to be about people being sure of themselves and committing without system in place that removes the commitment (FADC). Honestly I'm amazed we are getting a game like SFV in a day and age where people lose their shit if damage is too high and say it's "broken" or "unbalanced". Also, it taking a baseball bat to set-play and vortex is fucking awesome too.

Neat. Next question I have is what happens if you hit throw during the active frames of something. Like if I hit cr.LP, wait the 3~ frames for it to be active, then hit throw, what happens? What if that LP connects, do I get some weird throw thing or do I get a chain from LP > LK? If it's impossible for throw whiff to come out, what happens?

Throw whiff comes out you can't hide throws behind buttons as an OS anymore.

Anne

Throw whiff comes out you can't hide throws behind buttons as an OS anymore.

So if I hit throw during the active frames of my move a throw whiff is going to come during those active frames or it's going to be forced to come out once the move is completed?

People keep saying that same shit without actually explaining the circumstances under which these things happen lol

Horseress

Yeah, SFV feels significantly faster. Not just in terms of movement and animations, but just how much more aggressive and rewarding the neutral is.

Those JWong frame traps had me gushing. Tell me SFIV could have anything like that without using cross-ups.

A lot of people don't feel that way. The comparisons to SF4 from people who have spent time with the game are pretty scarce from what I've heard / experienced so far (this week). SFV is a bit quicker on the most basic possible level (think: Desk's video), but there's a lot more to it. The pressure and pacing in the game are simply beyond SF4.

Precisely. In SFV you are always in danger of stun, there's intense ground game, not mix-up city on knockdown, since there's only a few hard knockdown moves.

I'm not a fan of the stun, but I'm not hating it in this game, don't know exactly why tho.

Also, the fact that they are significantly lowering down the execution requirement and at the same time making the game more footsie-based says a lot to me, in a very good way

SFV + MVC4 = Kreygasm all over the place.

Not even a Mvc4, a Capcom all starts game would already have an AMAZING potential with Combofiend there (way more possible as well). And I think Capcom knows that, they just don't have the money to do a big game atm, we have to root for SFV success so they can grab some cash and make some new games

Anne

Yeah, you're going to go for a throw next no matter what. You can't OS it so you get lk on hit, throw on block.

So is the throw buffered to come out once the LP recovers or is it just cancelling into a throw whiff? Does the throw buffer just stretch that far? What if I hit it during blockstun, will throw whiff always come out once I exit blockstun even if that's 30 frames later?

We probably don't actually know these things yet, hence why I ask.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So is the throw buffered to come out once the LP recovers or is it just cancelling into a throw whiff? Does the throw buffer just stretch that far? What if I hit it during blockstun, will throw whiff always come out once I exit blockstun even if that's 30 frames later?

It cancels LP into throw whiff. It does not wait for LP to recover.

Throw whiff will also come out after block stun if what James Chen and Ultra David were saying is true.

Anne

It cancels LP into throw whiff. It does not wait for LP to recover.

Throw whiff will also come out after block stun if what James Chen and Ultra David were saying is true.

So I can cancel normals into throw whiff is what you're saying? And infinity after blockstun or for x frames after blockstun?

Why not ask vulva or try and get in touch with ultrachen to test it out? I think it makes sense to be 100% clear on this stuff.

Apparently Sirlin is making an actual fighting game

TpHbiNw.jpg

Anne

Why not ask vulva or try and get in touch with ultrachen to test it out? I think it makes sense to be 100% clear on this stuff.

I'm just throwing out some stuff to mull over. Vulva or somebody who has had the game will probably read the thread and know some more.

I honestly just want to put the idea out there that until we know all of this there's still ways to make throw OS happen, and it's better to figure that out sooner than later :>

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So I can cancel normals into throw whiff is what you're saying? And infinity after blockstun or for x frames after blockstun?

From the way they were explaining it seemed to me it was that way. However, I'd like to see them show exactly what they were talking about in video so we can be 100% clear on things and not just taking someones word for it.

For example Wong also said M.Bison in V-Trigger could do charge moves without any charge, however today they found out that was not the case at all and Justin was wrong on his info.

Beats

Why 6 Flags?

They had a Monster Hunter event at one of the locations a little while ago too along with a Monster Hunter themed ride for a few months. I guess that went well, so that might be why they're doing the same for SFV? I'm not sure if they ever partnered with them before that though.

Top Bottom