• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

Tik-Tok

Anyone else notice the levels in SF5 have mad pop-in at the start of a new game?
You can literally watch the objects draw in

.la1n

Anyone else notice the levels in SF5 have mad pop-in at the start of a new game?
You can literally watch the objects draw in

Powered by Unreal :)

It's so early In development you know all this stuff is getting some pretty big polish between now and release.

Kimosabae

Banned
Ryu looks so boring without his confirms into sweep or FADC combos. Not that I want FADC back, but being forced to stop at Fireball from cr. forward all the time isn't satisfying.
I could never understand why he played crosshanded, does being a lefty put you at a real disadvantage? Any lefties in FGW play crosshanded?

He's actually right-handed. Playing cross handed as a right handed person gives you more power to manipulate the lever. Had I been introduced to the method in the beginning of my stick training I'd have likely gone that route.

Seth isn't just a great player, he's a very intelligent man. Has a Ph.D and was a professor at a major university. He can intellectualize his experiences, which is a rare skill to have. People like FChamp are great at fighting games, but they can't turn their practical knowledge into theoretical knowledge.
I can't turn my theoretical knowledge into practical knowledge :-(

I'm having a lot more success in MTG, but there's a lot of weird hurdles that shouldn't exist in MTG tournament structure.

mbpm1

Birdie's damage off of just jabs is mad high. I thought he was alright before but jab x 3 headbutt x super = 50% seems a bit too much lol

shaowebb

Worthwhile theory is ultimately derived (at some level) from the practical.

This is how I see it. If you spend too much time with theory you end up under utilizing whats practical in favor of style points sometimes. Focus on what works and build from it is how I think of stuff. I play about as practical as possible considering how much I work these days. Ain't no one got time to lab all the tricky stuff in my field. Find a BNB, find what don't drop, and figure out how to maintain your comfortable pace and space and your fine.

I focus on what works for me more than just what can work. I'll leave the tricky shit for others to figure out then I'll try to learn it. I'm done digging forever on a single character. Maybe if the right game came along I'd dig again, but I just haven't felt any character pull me into their world enough to play theory fighter and go mad scientist in a long time. Last time I did was at launch for Injustice with Green Arrow and Bane. Found a lot with the folks I hung with, but I haven't pushed hard since.

Horseress

We are seeing all these CA's because no one is using the ex's yet. Just like early SfxT. So here's hoping they tune down the damage and make CA's costs only 2 bars

Kimosabae

Banned
justin wong just won the sf5 invitational.

sf5 confirmed america's game.

Seriously though, it'll be interesting to see how the power struggle plays out if this game remains console/PC exclusive and maintains its international appeal.

Walkspeed pls in my SFV. People are jumping all over the place just to get in.

Not that a faster walk speed wouldn't be nice, but people do this in the beginning of every FG's life.

Walkspeed pls in my SFV. People are jumping all over the place just to get in.

I don't think they're going to change that. It was a complaint made in December and it stayed.

The walkspeed combined with how small characters are compared to the stage reminds me of Injustice.

Dahbomb

It's pretty obvious what Justin was abusing in SFV.

Chip on everything and high damage means that corner pressure results in a ton of health lost. Xian was losing like 30% health in just chip from that Bison corner pressure.

Horseress

Seriously though, it'll be interesting to see how the power struggle plays out if this game remains console/PC exclusive and maintains its international appeal.

They are complaining the game won't (?) come out to arcades but you know they'll end up playing it. It'll probably just take a few months for Asia to be complete dominant over our western souls

hitsugi

Meter gain is a bit too fast to lower the cost of CAs. They'd have to drop the damage to a point where they aren't really worth using in a combo compared to ex moves.

What people saw today was what happens when one character can dish out loads of chip and one can't, and there's no guard crush. Justin had no reason to risk getting opened up.

Kimosabae

Banned
They are complaining the game won't (?) come out to arcades but you know they'll end up playing it. It'll probably just take a few months for Asia to be complete dominant over our western souls

Why do you think that?

And I wouldn't dismiss Japan's unwillingness to accept a console exclusive fighting game as "complaining". There are cultural logistics that keep the arcade being the most convenient place for gatherings.

petghost

Banned
Ryu looks so boring without his confirms into sweep or FADC combos. Not that I want FADC back, but being forced to stop at Fireball from cr. forward all the time isn't satisfying.

He's actually right-handed. Playing cross handed as a right handed person gives you more power to manipulate the lever. Had I been introduced to the method in the beginning of my stick training I'd have likely gone that route.

If only he had a donkey kick so he could button ex donkey kick shoryu. 80%

Horseress

Why do you think that?

I said it more as a joke, having in mind that's what usually ends up happening in SF games. Can't say for sure, of course

And I wouldn't dismiss Japan's unwillingness to accept a console exclusive fighting game as "complaining". There are cultural logistics that keep the arcade being the most convenient place for gatherings.

Arcades will always be the best place for gatherings and stuff, but arcades died here, died in the US, almost everywhere besides Asia, and we had to just hold that L and go play games on consoles. I don't think they'll stop play SF if it stops being released on arcades

Kimosabae

Banned
I seriously cannot comprehend the SF team's reluctance on giving back Ryu Joudan Kick. It's like adding cinnamon to a black coffee there's no reason to disregard this.

Kumubou

Oh hey that thing I said would work, works!
Wouldn't this be solved by making it so that counterhit throws can't be broken? From what you described, it sounds like it's inputting the throw break input during the startup of the attack, so that should work. You could also extend that rule to some number of frames after a throw break input (basically adding Throw Reject Miss as a rule).

With the other changes to jabs and shorts, I also suspect that the jab/throw break OS is less of an issue than it was in SF4.

Top Bottom