• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Horseress

In most FG's, you get bar by doing pretty much anything: blocking, hitting, getting hit, getting you attack blocked. If this is correct, in SFV you only get bar by hitting and getting your attack blocked (I'm assuming this counts as "doing damage)?

You would have a gauge filled when you do damage and one filled when you take damage! That's p interesting imo

In most FG's, you get bar by doing pretty much anything: blocking, hitting, getting hit, getting you attack blocked. If this is correct, in SFV you only get bar by hitting and getting your attack blocked (I'm assuming this counts as "doing damage)?

You would have a gauge filled when you do damage and one filled when you take damage! That's p interesting imo

Thats how they do it in Marvel 3. My concern is the v-trigger and v-skill mechanics. In the little excerpt from the magazine they said it was like a blue shell in Mario Kart. I never played Mario Kart but I heard that the blue shell is on some bullshit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The other obvious implication is that now you can't whiff HOAOH HOAOH HOAOH halfway across the screen and build meter.

And I'm totally okay with that as a game design choice. Prefer it, even.

Dahbomb

The other obvious implication is that now you can't whiff HOAOH HOAOH HOAOH halfway across the screen and build meter.

Yea this right here.

Build meter by whiff specials is the new whiffing normals to meter. Not as bad obviously but still not something games should have.

Beckx

On the flip side, it means I can't use Bison's ultra to kill fools trying to build meter like idiots.

the only wins I ever get ;_;

"WHHHHHAAAAA Why doesn't the first release of this new fighting game have 50 characters at launch? WHHHHHHHHAAAAA"

Is entitlement the right word to describe this attitude? Ignorance? Either way its annoying as hell and its already popping up in the SFV threads :/

I haven't read every post in the SFV threads, but I'd like to see the receipts on people asking for 50 characters, because right now it sounds like an exaggeration/strawman on your part for the completely legitimate concern as to why the first release of a hugely popular fighting game series with console maker backing can't have the same number of characters as in the first release of its competitor.

Uraizen

Banned
They did say this one would be polarizing, which means I'll like it. So far I'm liking what I'm reading, except needing to take damage to gain v-gauge.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They did say this one would be polarizing, which means I'll like it. So far I'm liking what I'm reading, except needing to take damage to gain v-gauge.
I'm curious as what's left to be revealed that would make it polarizing. Can't see anything thus far that's controversial enough to make the game so.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I haven't read every post in the SFV threads, but I'd like to see the receipts on people asking for 50 characters, because right now it sounds like an exaggeration/strawman on your part for the completely legitimate concern as to why the first release of a hugely popular fighting game series with console maker backing can't have the same number of characters as in the first release of its competitor.

How many characters did KI start with?

petghost

Banned
I'm curious as what's left to be revealed that would make it polarizing. Can't see anything thus far that's controversial enough to make the game so.

Well I think that the fireball game already having like 6 ways around it will be polarizing to an extent.

Horseress

Thats how they do it in Marvel 3. My concern is the v-trigger and v-skill mechanics. In the little excerpt from the magazine they said it was like a blue shell in Mario Kart. I never played Mario Kart but I heard that the blue shell is on some bullshit.

Marvel 3 has only one gauge meter don't it?

I'm not ok with taking damage and getting a HUGE damage attack as a reward. I'm ok with getting some new specials using a gauge filled by the damage you take. I may change my opinion if those specials are broken tho

Village

"WHHHHHAAAAA Why doesn't the first release of this new fighting game have 50 characters at launch? WHHHHHHHHAAAAA"

Is entitlement the right word to describe this attitude? Ignorance? Either way its annoying as hell and its already popping up in the SFV threads :/

There are fighting games with larger rosters and they like this sort of thing? And as the consumer they don't need to feel compassion for the developer, because they are fans of product.

Yeah, ok , sometimes people not knowing things about the game we like is annoying . Lets not try to crawl up our butts here. I can understand why they want that sort of thing. Maybe they played smash and is like whats up with this? I dunno, but I'm not going to pretend they should know everything and should like it. They aren't obligated to know, they aren't obligated to care, and they are lodging a criticism. Or maybe they think the game would better if they did have a bajilliondy characters from the get go.

mbpm1

Well I think that the fireball game already having like 6 ways around it will be polarizing to an extent.

Maybe these ways will be risky and punishable if employed haplessly. And fireballs seems strong in this game aside from those methods so that might balance out.

Sigmaah

58907_arnold-schwarzenegger-movies-predator-dutch-carl-weathers.gif

Lmfao!!! My dude knows what's good!

ShinMaruku

Capcom should rip off Team Ninja. 3 million downloads and 1 million buying dlc PACKS.
In 1 swoop they probably made more than capcom ever made with sf4. :p

vulva

Flight to LA just got cancelled, now instead of getting a sweet evening flight I fly out at 7am so I need to wake up at 3:30. Get rekt homie.

Skab

So, I just realized something.

Critical Arts use all of your EX bar, and V-Trigger uses all of your "V-Gauge".

Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken uses up all the critcal arts bar, and if you do it while your V-Trigger is activated, it turns it into a Denjin Hadouken, which means Denjin takes ALL of your bar to use.

Better be worth it to be that expensive.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm really hoping we get Eagle just because I haven't played with him since Capcom vs. SNK 2

Capcom should rip off Team Ninja. 3 million downloads and 1 million buying dlc PACKS.
In 1 swoop they probably made more than capcom ever made with sf4. :p

Right now the roster is only 1/4 ladies. Gonna have to balance that out if they wanna tactically match that DOA fanbase.

6 vs 16, with a story mode and probably other content... SFV at $60 sound inline with KI's price model!

If SFV if getting only as much in publisher resources as KI, that would be a shame.

You'd think SF would be worthy of being more in line with better selling more popular titles filled with content, but I guess not.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like how after you say this, a slapfight breaks out over roster size.
I don't see it as a real point of contention in the grand scheme of things, or even too low that it would mortally offend someone to not pick up a new goddamn Street Fighter. Especially when multiple times now we've heard that story mode is a big deal for them, and that part of the featureset is still in limbo despite it per-emptively being a knock against SF in the other thread.

People will complain about the roster size, then begrudgingly hand over their money anyways and still have fun. And if they don't then they're in the same bin as people not buying MvC3 because it didn't have Megaman in it. No point in unsheathing swords trying to convince someone otherwise, they can value what they value.

Nyoro SF

I remember when the first major fighting game meetup happened in Boston, and about 95% of the attendees where Smash players. The gathering got so big they had to create a separate event.

They also pushed around CRTs and Gamecubes in these small carts for efficiency. I was pretty impressed. Also impressed by the Mickey Mouse CRT they repurposed for Smash tournaments at the time. Can't accuse the Smash community of not having passion.

ShinMaruku

Right now the roster is only 1/4 ladies. Gonna have to balance that out if they wanna tactically match that DOA fanbase.

There needs to be no matching of fanbases the fgc has very little overlap. That said having a few free characters and trials while selling costumes at a reasonable price would be great along side just having a package deal.

Tripon

I'm kind of into small rosters just for accessibility's sake. Staring at a character select screen with a billion faces on it is daunting sometimes, ya know

fader

interesting tweet series by Valle

SFIV players improved a lot over the years, so its time to graduate to a real neutral game now =) #SFV
https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/608721539991601152
I'm sure many of you don't want to be called a SFIV player either. Just an SF/FG player. I hope SFV brings the neutral game to the next lvl
https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/608722451350982657
Also no focus attacks so minimizing luck in neutral. #SFV
https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/608720058508922880
Getting hit fills up V-Trigger and doing damage fills up Critical Arts. Instead of doing silly damage when weak, you have to work for it.
https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/608719400032600064

Top Bottom