• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

ShinMaruku

If you want to have a faster growing playerbase you need a reasonable character base that is not huge. Past 35 and you limit your pool. Also we don't need sim and all the shotos. Keep it simple. :p

16 characters at launch is pretty sad for a major title.

That said, only one needs to be fun for me to enjoy it.

Me too.

It's just that I feel more confident in a character who would actually make me want to play a Street Fighter title (which would have to be a new one) being included in the game with a larger roster, since until explicitly deconfirmed I have no faith in Capcom to not rely on nostalgia and load up plenty of ResidentSleeper SF2s into the game.

If you want to have a faster growing playerbase you need a reasonable character base that is not huge. Past 35 and you limit your pool. Also we don't need sim and all the shotos. Keep it simple. :p

I hate to agree but I agree. More characters with different playstyles would make the game enticing.

Grakl

So many times I've just pressed Focus in a panic situation, crumpled, and gone into Ultra and won.

It'll be an interesting time not having that.

my first fighter was SFIV, hell the game came out when I was 14 lmao

It's also pretty much only thing I've played, so going into next game will be cool

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was it Harada that said that FG rosters have become bloated? I think I feel that way sometimes, and as people have already noted there are real benefits to a most concentrated roster, and can be healthy for new players, balancing, development of the community and meta, etc.

Said it in the other thread but 16 isn't really so low that I'm going to be regretting a game not having enough variety, even if we inevitably get a few more shotos. 6 is not 16, either.

ElTopo

Banned
I feel like valle is underestimating how scrubby v might wind up being

Sf5 is basically Killer Instinct. So long as it doesn't have the retarded reversals or Option Selects or 1-frame links for everything from 4 then it's already a MUCH better game than 4.

Fuck Slow Fighter 4. Let it die.

Uraizen

Banned
I'm curious as what's left to be revealed that would make it polarizing. Can't see anything thus far that's controversial enough to make the game so.

I'm not ok with taking damage and getting a HUGE damage attack as a reward. I'm ok with getting some new specials using a gauge filled by the damage you take. I may change my opinion if those specials are broken tho

Huh... I would have expected people to go batshit insane over Ryu having a parry.

Carry on.

ShinMaruku

Rosters have become bloated and it's obvious at competetive events. Have you seen a Juri or Ibuki win a tourney that is major? Nope. I'd argue Marvel has more variety due to it being a team game that forces people to branch out.

Skab

It sucks how a lot of people dislike the same things about the game but they kept playing it anyway.

Disliking a certain aspect of a game doesn't mean disliking the game as a whole.

I also dislike Focus Attacks, but I still like the game and enjoy playing it.

.la1n

Was it Harada that said that FG rosters have become bloated? I think I feel that way sometimes, and as people have already noted there are real benefits to a most concentrated roster, and can be healthy for new players, balancing, development of the community and meta, etc.

Said it in the other thread but 16 isn't really so low that I'm going to be regretting a game not having enough variety, even if we inevitably get a few more shotos. 6 is not 16, either.

16 characters is plenty, and it gives you plenty of time to learn match ups and individual characters before the inevitable expansions or DLC. Last thing I wanted was another 24+ character roster to try to sort through.

fgc twitter is expressing years of pent up frustration with SF4 lmao

For real. They're just going to get bopped again by Japan.

Rosters have become bloated and it's obvious at competetive events. Have you seen a Juri or Ibuki win a tourney that is major? Nope. I'd argue Marvel has more variety due to it being a team game that forces people to branch out.

I don't know about that.

Ibuki has won majors. When Sako mained her. I guarantee Ibuki would win majors again if Sako decided to main her again.

Anne

They keep playing it because everyone else they know keep playing it. It's a vicious cycle.

This. When I finally decided to try and move on to other games, I basically sealed my fate as being the grumpy person training moding on a set up by themselves.

Same thing is happening with Xrd tbh.

It will be amazing if, a year from now, everyone says what I have been saying about SFIV all along.

Also, amusing anecdote: I was driving along, and this homeless guy had a sign that said "Too honest to steal, too ugly to prostitute". Got a good laugh, and gave him some pizza to settle the debt.

Yeah, we all know how Smash is being held back by how massive the roster is. Marvel could barely handle its 38 playable characters at launch, especially when you had to learn three mains at once. Remember when people almost dropped the game because the options were just so overwhelming?

Total nonsense.

Me too.

It's just that I feel more confident in a character who would actually make me want to play a Street Fighter title (which would have to be a new one) being included in the game with a larger roster, since until explicitly deconfirmed I have no faith in Capcom to not rely on nostalgia and load up plenty of ResidentSleeper SF2s into the game.
I think the rumors about Ken not being in make a lot of sense now. They are going to have to strain to create a good roster with only 16 spots. They have two archetypes (Dhalsim and Zangief) left to fill. Then, the rest need to be intresting and unique. We can probably count on Akuma being in, since he has a unique playstyle due to air fireballs.

Horseress

It sucks how a lot of people dislike the same things about the game but they kept playing it anyway.

No game is perfect (not even SfxT, yeah, I know, crazy right?!). People like SFIV despite it having some bullshit on it, why's that a problem? I love SfxT and I know that game has it's flaws

mbpm1

I can live with Ken not being in if all the aspects that make him interesting (Existing High/Low game, walk speed, pokes, and throw game) are in there in some way or another.

16 characters at launch is pretty sad for a major title.

That said, only one needs to be fun for me to enjoy it.

meh, vanilla SF4 in arcades only had 16 playable characters at launch. they added playable Seth, Akuma, Fei Long, Cammy, etc... in the console version a year or so later

petghost

Banned
Don't act like people don't think there are hella dumb things about xrd or bb While they continue to play them. I'm not playing xrd cuz I don't think it's nearly as good as +r and I'm pretty sure a whole lot of others share that opinion but switched over because it's hot atm.

I'm also sure there are kof players who truly dislike xiii

NEO0MJ

I don't mind the small roster, though I d wish it was a bit larger, maybe 20.

And if they take out FA, I hope they include combo breakers. From what we saw it looks like they might be longer than SF V so I need something to defend myself with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, we all know how Smash is being held back by how massive the roster is. Marvel could barely handle its 38 playable characters at launch, especially when you had to learn three mains at once. Remember when people almost dropped the game because the options were just so overwhelming?

Total nonsense.
Not that I agree, but pretty much anything with Smash does not apply to other fighting games. Both are also huge fanservice-driven games in appeal and design, and at some point suffer from dead weight in the cast, be it from lacking appropriate balancing initially or after-the-fact.

Anne

I thought that was already in the game?

I am fine with that as long as you can't crouch tech.

unless they really decide to fuck with priority and the throw system in general, you're going to crouch tech. It exists in every SF with 2 button grabs.

They keep playing it because everyone else they know keep playing it. It's a vicious cycle.

everything-you-ever-wanted.jpg

wish KOF/GG had that luxury.

Indeed.

Pompadour

Total nonsense.

I agree. The player base will probably gravitate to a handful of characters like the beginning of every game's lifespan, allowing people a lot of practice against Ryu and Ken. They'll get bopped against someone playing an unpopular character if they don't bother to learn the match up. That would happen at a roster of 10 characters or 50.

Dahbomb

Marvel is a 3v3 game and it represents two companies with a lot of important characters/franchises. Not the same situation as SF.

ShinMaruku

For real. They're just going to get bopped again by Japan.

I don't know about that.

Ibuki has won majors. When Sako mained her. I guarantee Ibuki would win majors again if Sako decided to main her again.
But does he main her now? The valid players all play a very narrow band of characters outside of insane people like Momochi and Infiltration. So a small pool means jack shit.

Total nonsense.
Smash is an outlier and we all know it is. Probably due to the fact that the development did not look to make it overly competitive and focused on a fun experience for all who play it which makes it have a much larger casual base where a larger competetive scene will organically grow from.

Explain why so much people did not go into Tekken tag and why it's hard to get into. Learn 2 characters learn 50+ match ups that's information overload to beginners.

Skilletor

Whatever. I don't care if how many characters there are. Just make it so that you can't make specials safe on block because you've got meter.

Not that I agree, but pretty much anything with Smash does not apply to other fighting games. Both are also huge fanservice-driven games in appeal and design, and at some point suffer from dead weight in the cast, be it from lacking appropriate balancing initially or after-the-fact.
I would argue that SF has such a legacy that it's characters are largely fan service based. Just like MK.

Every game has balance issues. Smash has better balance than most fighters this early on, partially because there are so many universally strong defensive options.

meh, vanilla SF4 in arcades only had 16 playable characters at launch. they added playable Seth, Akuma, Fei Long, Cammy, etc... in the console version a year or so later
Damn, really? Sad.

24 feels like a more acceptable number to me. Again, though, they just need one character that makes me excited. Really unhappy about the game mechanics so far, though.

Marvel is a 3v3 game and it represents two companies with a lot of important characters/franchises. Not the same situation as SF.
Right, Marvel has way more Matchups to learn at the start. Far more intimidating.

Dahbomb

unless they really decide to fuck with priority and the throw system in general, you're going to crouch tech. It exists in every SF with 2 button grabs.
It's not present in Skullgirls. You have to actually stand up to break grabs. So certainly a workaround is possible.

Top Bottom