• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

mbpm1

That's actually a good point you bring up that even I didn't think about with myself---I participated in a lot of choir, plays, and was going towards a Communication Major.

Hell my job is showing up in front of strangers on a daily basis to sell them on myself, my design, my company, and more.

People who are fine with putting themselves out there in other ways probably are less likely to have these nerves may be a takeaway.

Meanwhile there's me, who's afraid to go to online tourneys lol

Videad

Neo Member

Skab

If the early gameplay vids/the mike/peter match is anything to go buy, your V-Gauge fills pretty damn fast.

Wait, what is tomorrow?

Does anyone know if SFV was at pre-E3? If so the embargo might end tomorrow?

In Peters srk blog post, he said that he would "hop on the stream and show off all the characters revealed up until E3."

So maybe were getting another trailer/character reveal tomorrow?

zlatko

Banned
"I can say that taking damage isn't the only way to fill it."

...a faint glimmer of hope...

He's probably referring to the you get certain new moves with the "stance switch" that could reflect a projectile for Bison for example. That would probably work like Rose meter gain so in turn, swapping to that stance would net you meter if they chuck plasma so that you can build it.

I imagine that's one of the ways.

zlatko

Banned
Why is this good tho

You can still fill it just by taking damage then

Well it rewards different play styles is what Juice probably wants.

That way if someone is good enough offensively, and builds it fast, then they can shut you down before you can do a LOLULTRA to put the game back more towards the opponent that was losing.

Skab

Well it rewards different play styles is what Juice probably wants.

That way if someone is good enough offensively, and builds it fast, then they can shut you down before you can do a LOLULTRA to put the game back more towards the opponent that was losing.

But you don't get critical arts from being hit in this.

They're tied to your EX meter.

All I'm hoping for is that you can fill your meters by being good.

The V-meter thingy is going to fill when you get hit. But if you can also fill it by being a good player, then it's not an "advantage for losing" as much as an Ultra is.

zlatko

Banned
But you don't get critical arts from being hit in this.

They're tied to your EX meter.

I must be reading the below wrong:

"We learn that moves such as Nash's teleport and Chun-Li's double fireball can be used while V-Trigger is activated. In order to do so, players must fill up their V-Gauge by taking damage.

Additionally, we learn of a new mechanic called "V-Skill." This is a defensive mechanic that allows for characters like Ryu to parry and M. Bison to reflect fireballs. While information on V-Skill is scarce, we're guessing it also utilizes the V-Gauge. We have also learned that what many have been referring to as "Ultras" in the game are actually called Critical Arts. These are flashy, cinematic attacks that can be activated by using your full EX meter."

So to get either a V-Trigger, or V-Skill you have to use up your EX Meter. AKA super bar? To get critical arts, you have to use up your full EX meter, aka your super bar?

So doesn't that mean if I for example, had to spend 2 bars to activate Bison reflect powers, and reflecting fills the meter shit crazy fast, then I could get a full meter to do my critical art without getting hit, correct?

Or, if Ryu Parries, and Parries net you meter, then he could go on the offensive or stay defensive, and parry a shit ton to then get full meter. Now he can spend that for a critical art, or for maybe two more V-Skills or V-Triggers?

I guess I'm lost. Fuck it. I'll wait till they reveal it and talk about it before jumping the gun.

I guess I'm lost. Fuck it. I'll wait till they reveal it and talk about it before jumping the gun.

The V-gauge fiils when you get hit.
The EX-gauge fills like a normal super meter.

The V-gauge is used for V-skills/V-trigger.
Flashy, cinematic attacks cost EX meter.

There's probably a super-mega-awesome attack for spending both.

JeTmAn81

So what's the "skill reset" going to be like for SFV? I remember starting day one with vanilla Marvel 3 and there were plenty of people just as bad as me at the game despite what must have been a strong presence of skilled Marvel 2 players in the mix. How much is SFIV skill likely to transfer over to SFV? I'm hoping for a really newb-friendly beginning since that's really the best time to play online, before everyone turns into a shark with thousands of matches under hteir belts.

mbpm1

So what's the "skill reset" going to be like for SFV? I remember starting day one with vanilla Marvel 3 and there were plenty of people just as bad as me at the game despite what must have been a strong presence of skilled Marvel 2 players in the mix. How much is SFIV skill likely to transfer over to SFV? I'm hoping for a really newb-friendly beginning since that's really the best time to play online, before everyone turns into a shark with thousands of matches under hteir belts.

Just Ultra coming out had a lot of newbies so I hope there will be a lot of levels to the play and matchmaking with SF5

Skab

I must be reading the below wrong:

"We learn that moves such as Nash's teleport and Chun-Li's double fireball can be used while V-Trigger is activated. In order to do so, players must fill up their V-Gauge by taking damage.

Additionally, we learn of a new mechanic called "V-Skill." This is a defensive mechanic that allows for characters like Ryu to parry and M. Bison to reflect fireballs. While information on V-Skill is scarce, we're guessing it also utilizes the V-Gauge. We have also learned that what many have been referring to as "Ultras" in the game are actually called Critical Arts. These are flashy, cinematic attacks that can be activated by using your full EX meter."

So to get either a V-Trigger, or V-Skill you have to use up your EX Meter. AKA super bar? To get critical arts, you have to use up your full EX meter, aka your super bar?

So doesn't that mean if I for example, had to spend 2 bars to activate Bison reflect powers, and reflecting fills the meter shit crazy fast, then I could get a full meter to do my critical art without getting hit, correct?

Or, if Ryu Parries, and Parries net you meter, then he could go on the offensive or stay defensive, and parry a shit ton to then get full meter. Now he can spend that for a critical art, or for maybe two more V-Skills or V-Triggers?

There's two bars, just like in SF4. Your V-Guage, aka the revenge meter, aka the "ultra" meter. You use that to activate V-Trigger. Unknown if you need that meter to use V-Skills.

The EX bar, aka, the "super" meter, is what you use for your ex moves and Critical Arts, which are basically SF3s supers or SF4s ultras. (Basically the games equivalent of SF4s flashy animated ultras.)

EX meter fills be DOING damage, and V-Gauge fills by TAKING damage. (Apparently among other ways yet to be revealed.)

The EX meter size also varies by character. (In what we have seen until now, Ryu's was two bars, Chuns was three.)

So V-Guage and V-Trigger is gained by taking damage. Instead of getting an ultra you get a skill like instinct mode in KI. That sounds cool, hopefully V-Gauge carries over between rounds.

That's what I'm hoping for with as well because the average online user's skill for USF4 is way higher than what I'm at since I started playing.

I'd assume a lot of new players, but I obviously can't say for sure.

Some new teams have been added to Topanga's Charity Cup. I won't list all of them.

Nuki, KSK, Sentosu, Aru (papatiwawa), Kokujin
Diechan, Kojiro, Kenzo (5kpp Akuma that is known as Svelt or something like that), Jinetta, Nizza
Nail, Krillin, Burter, Ginyu, Guldo

Shouta

Some new teams have been added to Topanga's Charity Cup. I won't list all of them.

Nuki, KSK, Sentosu, Aru (papatiwawa), Kokujin
Diechan, Kojiro, Kenzo (5kpp Akuma that is known as Svelt or something like that), Jinetta, Nizza
Nail, Krillin, Burter, Ginyu, Guldo

They replaced Recoome with Nail!? Damn. Not gonna be the same Ginyuu Force even if Nail fits in better.

Krillin replacing Jeice too, lol

They replaced Recoome with Nail!? Damn. Not gonna be the same Ginyuu Force even if Nail fits in better.

Krillin replacing Jeice too, lol

A player went with the name Ikahage. 子イカ is the nickname 2ch has for Sako fans. Ikahage is the insult they use towards Sako. I can't believe one of the players is going with that name. Guy has no shame.

4r5

The V-gauge fiils when you get hit.
The EX-gauge fills like a normal super meter.

The V-gauge is used for V-skills/V-trigger.
Flashy, cinematic attacks cost EX meter.

There's probably a super-mega-awesome attack for spending both.

And when the super-duper finisher attack is revealed, we can just call the game The Rumble Fish 3.

SF4 and SF5 are way easier to swallow when viewed as a squeal to Rumble Fish 2, rather than as a continuation of SF2 & 3's legacy.

ShinMaruku

If the gauge would fill on a percentage increase on how much hits ya do in a combo or on hit when you punish something or where you go past a certain time being hit while attack you get a little bonus on meter gain. I could so go into they tie that into you get a slight damage bonus by keeping it, but I'd need people to bounce ideas off. I'm ass so I can't give too much pointers.

Rhapsody

Banned

I agree. lol

But we'll have to see how SFV is handled before we can say that...
This is the most frustrating thing. I want to play, say, Skullgirls or UNIEL or even P4, but nobody cares. It got to the point that they just disconnected my setup and put another Marvel set up there while I was away for a moment because nobody played. After that point I just outright stopped bothering to bring my console...

At a smash tourney, there was a section where you could bring your own console for other games. Someone touched my Melty setup and put in Blazblue instead. Calamity Trigger at that. So mad. lol

Kumubou

Wonder what the other ways of gaining V-Gauge will be other than taking damage.
I don't know why, but the EX/v-trigger split sounds a lot like the offense/defense meter concept from The Rumblefish, which happened to be made by... Dimps! So it wouldn't surprise me if the EX/V-Trigger meters worked in a similar way, where EX meter was built by attacking your opponent (on block or on hit), and v-trigger was gained from defensive maneuvers (blocking, throw breaks... getting hit built defensive meter, even though that's not very defensive). Even the critical arts worked in a similar manner (except in Rumblefish, you needed max offensive and defensive meter -- there was no max EX-only variant).

If I'm completely wrong, no one will remember this post in a few hours anyway. :p

Uraizen

Banned
I agree. lol

But we'll have to see how SFV is handled before we can say that...

At a smash tourney, there was a section where you could bring your own console for other games. Someone touched my Melty setup and put in Blazblue instead. Calamity Trigger at that. So mad. lol

I assume these people were punished to the full extent of the law.

Onemic

Why wait for SFV when you can play Gundam right now?

Because it's only available in Japan

I don't know why, but the EX/v-trigger split sounds a lot like the offense/defense meter concept from The Rumblefish, which happened to be made by... Dimps! So it wouldn't surprise me if the EX/V-Trigger meters worked in a similar way, where EX meter was built by attacking your opponent (on block or on hit), and v-trigger was gained from defensive maneuvers (blocking, throw breaks... getting hit built defensive meter, even though that's not very defensive). Even the critical arts worked in a similar manner (except in Rumblefish, you needed max offensive and defensive meter -- there was no max EX-only variant).

If I'm completely wrong, no one will remember this post in a few hours anyway. :p

Rewarding actual defense. I would be ok with this. Doubly so if you gain more v-gauge from blocking/throw breaks vs taking damage.

pixelish

i don't think anyone has posted this but evo smash finals will be held at different days
Joey Cuellar ‏@EvilMrWizard 10h
@ArmadaUGS @NoSweatssb One Smash will finish on Saturday, and the other one on Sunday

Skilletor

I'll remember, Kumu. I'll remember.

Top Bottom