• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Dahbomb

We need more games that folks like those two can be serious contenders in. Hopefully SFV's combo system allows for this.

As for who I plan on picking- if inputs for 360s are like SF4- I'll probably go with a grappler. Alex hopefully.
Breh Viscant did win EVO in MVC3....

kitzkozan

Id play birdie if he didn't suck ass like he did in alpha. I rather play Sodom than Birdie.

Hahaha, Birdie was so ass in the Alpha series. Still, it was fun to pull off his plunging forward grab super on unsuspecting opponents. :p His normals were utter shit, short range on his command grab and his charging attack forward was slow (no armor I think). It's too bad because he's an interesting character on paper: cool look, nice mix of motion, command grab and charge specials. His moveset is actually fun for a "Capcom grappler", but the execution was lacking.

Devid905

Wait, what is tomorrow?

Does anyone know if SFV was at pre-E3? If so the embargo might end tomorrow?
This is from d3v over at SRK: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10260272/#Comment_10260272
Just got some interesting tidbits. We've just been told not to run anything on the supposed leak since a) the embargo ends tomorrow and more importantly b) we also had somebody at the same event and they can confirm that, and to quote "their information is pretty shitty and lacking", regarding the "leaked" stuff.

We should have something up in a few hours. I've not read it myself, but some of the clear new screenshots are already on the site.

Id play birdie if he didn't suck ass like he did in alpha. I rather play Sodom than Birdie.
lol what?

K9IPdMb.gif

had to use this gif again

Taking the weekend off =! Can actually go.

He'd probably just stay home if he couldn't go lol

This was like 3 weeks before there was even a hint of kappa sending someone to evo. Hell, kappa decided to not send someone to EVO until like a couple of days ago.

Taking a weekend off implied that he was going to EVO so much that kakugechecker even listed him as going a few weeks ago.

I mean, why take the days off if you had no way of going? Maybe he wanted to stream monster it up or something.

zlatko

Banned
Trying to catch up on Karin as a character to see what all the fuss is about.

I mean visually she looks cool as shit. Her laugh is 100% troll status in a good way which I dig.

Dope as fuck theme song too:

http://viewpure.com/huA5sKl7K-U

Move list has a lot of things going on... curious how she'll play in SF5 if she is added.

jerry1594

I feel like the characters in IV lack personality and it turned into a really dumb good vs. evil thing. I really like arcade presentation, to me the exposition in the earlier games at the beginning/end of a match is perfect (and win screens), but I dunno how many agree. If they can make the characters be not dull I will be on board with a story mode. Except ryu of course.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
sabot has like every character under his belt lol

Trying to catch up on Karin as a character to see what all the fuss is about.

I mean visually she looks cool as shit. Her laugh is 100% troll status in a good way which I dig.

Dope as fuck theme song too:

http://viewpure.com/huA5sKl7K-U

Move list has a lot of things going on... curious how she'll play in SF5 if she is added.

i just want her to step on me
no kappa

zlatko

Banned
I feel like the characters in IV lack personality and it turned into a really dumb good vs. evil thing. I really like arcade presentation, to me the exposition in the earlier games at the beginning/end of a match is perfect (and win screens), but I dunno how many agree. If they can make the characters be not dull I will be on board with a story mode. Except ryu of course.

Vanilla SF4 was on point----in part due to the announcer. Announcer in Super and onto current version is ass.

Vanilla announcer + Indestructible = Epic stuff.

I hope we get vanilla SF4 announcer back. :(

Shouta

This was like 3 weeks before there was even a hint of kappa sending someone to evo. Hell, kappa decided to not send someone to EVO until like a couple of days ago.

Taking a weekend off implied that he was going to EVO so much that kakugechecker even listed him as going a few weeks ago.

I mean, why take the days off if you had no way of going? Maybe he wanted to stream monster it up or something.

Kappa's been sending folks to tournaments for awhile and usually does it at least a few months in advance as well. They talked to him about SEAM but he couldn't go so he probably expected Evo so he took that time off ahead should he get voted in. Remember, it's harder to get time off in Japan, so he needed to it well ahead of time.

jerry1594

That's what I'm talking about. Love this stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN2CgX2L2jw
(this guy missed a few)
Vanilla SF4 was on point----in part due to the announcer. Announcer in Super and onto current version is ass.

Vanilla announcer + Indestructible = Epic stuff.

I hope we get vanilla SF4 announcer back. :(
I freakin loved vanilla announcer. Vanilla had oomph to it. Now it just feels eh and current announcer is annoying as fuck.

Kappa's been sending folks to tournaments for awhile and usually does it at least a few months in advance as well. They talked to him about SEAM but he couldn't go so he probably expected Evo so he took that time off ahead should he get voted in. Remember, it's harder to get time off in Japan, so he needed to it well ahead of time.

There was a poll a couple of weeks ago, maybe a month ago, to either choose CEO or EVO. Kappa chose to send players to only CEO. So the thought of sending a player to evo was basically dead. Mike came out of nowhere a couple of days ago and thought that Kappa should try and send Nemo to Evo. Then it turned into another nomination/poll as people wanted to send someone other than Nemo because Nemo was already going to EVO.

So this sending someone to evo thing was completely out of nowhere, which is why I questioned why anyone would take days off with no intention of going because it was decided long ago that there would be no evo fundraiser.

Shouta

There was a poll a couple of weeks ago, maybe a month ago, to either choose CEO or EVO. Kappa chose to send players to only CEO. So the thought of sending a player to evo was basically dead. Mike came out of nowhere a couple of days ago and thought that Kappa should try and send Nemo to Evo. Then it turned into another nomination/poll as people wanted to send someone other than Nemo because Nemo was already going to EVO.

So this sending someone to evo thing was completely out of nowhere, which is why I questioned why anyone would take days off with no intention of going because it was decided long ago that there would be no evo fundraiser.

Koji is a T.Hawk player, maybe he made a big read or a big ass gamble, lol

petghost

Banned
He edited and added this

"That said, I can confirm one thing... no need to stun count anymore."

Woo hoo, the return of the stun bar.

thats so fucking rad.

also watched some of the vesper analysis vids and learned that getting hit in throw startup leads to a counter hit at least at this point. interesting change.

Dev just said that you cancel into critical art from normals just like you do with Supers. Which means I'm fucked. I can't do single hit confirms. I need more time than that to confirm into these kind of attacks. And I don't want to do jab, jab, low forward, critical art either if it gets scaled to hell.

or they got rid of stun

That could be a possibility. For now we know it's in because Chun or Ryu had the birdies in the original trailer or during one of the early exhibition matches.

Coda

birdie-dhalslam-toss.gif

Never make fun of Birdie. I'd love to see Birdie return. Give me the creative grapplers. I need to practice my 360s.

So the whole V-thing. Does it permanently upgrade your character for the rest of the match?

If so, it's kind of like what a lot of Marvel players wanted for an X-Factor replacement. Very Sirlin-y.

petghost

Banned
So the whole V-thing. Does it permanently upgrade your character for the rest of the match?

If so, it's kind of like what a lot of Marvel players wanted for an X-Factor replacement. Very Sirlin-y.

i dno about the next round but according to vesper ryu's fireballs get augmented even after his v trigger has ended.

Dahbomb

I don't think Marvel players want permanent upgrades to your character.

i dno about the next round but according to vesper ryu's fireballs get augmented even after his v trigger has ended.
So Bison gains a permanent reflect after a while, and Charlie gains a permanent teleport, and Ryu gains a permanent parry?

I don't think Marvel players want permanent upgrades to your character.
A lot of us talked about how it would be cool if the final character had unique upgrades rather than just a generic X-Factor speed/power boost. Like the Dark Force abilities in VSav.

Dahbomb

A lot of us talked about how it would be cool if the final character had unique upgrades rather than just a generic X-Factor speed/power boost. Like the Dark Force abilities in VSav.
Yeah we talked about it and I was one of the people who suggested it. But it was said that the boosts would be under a time limit and not be a permanent buff to the character.

Sort of like KI Instincts.

mbpm1

Dev just said that you cancel into critical art from normals just like you do with Supers. Which means I'm fucked. I can't do single hit confirms. I need more time than that to confirm into these kind of attacks. And I don't want to do jab, jab, low forward, critical art either if it gets scaled to hell..

So...interesting. On the other hand, Rice, this does seem to be a game with longer hitstop, so you may be able to in the end. Although if the build at E3 is different than Idk

Top Bottom