• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

shaowebb

Well with the V Gauge stuff I guess we'll test what I was saying about everyone having character specific abilities in Blaz Blue. Its not hard, its not overwhelming...its just whether or not you like the environment its implemented in.

Street Fighter V
Killer Instinct
Injustice
Blaz Blue

This pleases me honestly. I like to see experimentation.

toneroni

I am going to be. We... will see how good I do. After getting destroyed last year, I don't feel so confident. But with SFV being totally new, I have a little hope. *heh*

Yup, I was Chunners and Nash (who I'll probably be running with in the tournament).

Thx for the gameplay vids - much better than the trailer. Goodluck!

Clawww

Really loving what I've seen so far. The only negative is the sound effects. Needs more oomph.

the sound effects are definitely really incomplete. I think one clip with chun's CA made it super apparent. they probably haven't put too much time into that just yet.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I gotta be real, I'm feeling like a kid again when I played SF2 on an SNES. I think this game will do better than SF4 at reviving the series, it'll revive the genre with the main populace.

Really loving what I've seen so far. The only negative is the sound effects. Needs more oomph.

I feel like we can compile a list of things and send Vulva as our messenger at E3 and see if he can talk to someone about it. Never hurts to try and send our message across.

I want to see quick get ups roll back instead of the same place as normal get up.

I am not liking the sound of the normals deal chip but no chip kills thing.

we're not that anime yet with SFV.

JeTmAn81

I wonder what Akuma's V-Skill and V-Trigger will be like...

Ruby.%28Jewelpet%29.600.180161.jpg

Mr. X

I want to see quick get ups roll back instead of the same place as normal get up.

I am not liking the sound of the normals deal chip but no chip kills thing.

Onemic

Also seems like characters get up much quicker after getting thrown or after a hard knockdown. Maybe setup fighter iv will no longer be a thing?

Sheroking

I wonder what Akuma's V-Skill and V-Trigger will be like...

Ruby.%28Jewelpet%29.600.180161.jpg

Give him a sword when he activates.

He's been broken in eight million other ways, might as well make it eight million and one.

#GiveAkumaASword.

Also seems like characters get up much quicker after getting thrown or after a hard knockdown. Maybe setup fighter iv will no longer be a thing?

You can see pretty clearly they were testing ideas for V with Omega SFIV and Omega removed hard knockdowns entirely.

Mr. X

I gotta be real, I'm feeling like a kid again when I played SF2 on an SNES. I think this game will do better than SF4 at reviving the series, it'll revive the genre with the main populace.

I feel like we can compile a list of things and send Vulva as our messenger at E3 and see if he can talk to someone about it. Never hurts to try and send our message across.

If you do that, don't make it a majority of WIP concerns like the UI or placeholder sounds.

Sounds like random hype talk.

"SFxT is the new CvS2... best fighter of all time!l - Mike Ross 2013

Have you guys not noticed how much stuff SF5 is actually borrowing from SFxT?

-Chun lightning legs are now a motion instead of mashing.
-chargeable hadouken that gets stronger the more you hold it
-multiple wakeup options, even on hard knockdown
-guard cancel
-comeback mechanic requires skill to utilize
-ground bounce / more juggling ability
-rollback netcode
-emphasis on footsies

It's like Capcom knew SFxT's engine was solid, so they brought many of its properties into a new game that they knew people would actually pay attention to...a main line SF game.

It's funny to see people react so positively to stuff like this, when a lot of it was already in SFxT...

But, what ever, a game that takes after SFxT in terms of gameplay is all right by me.

Skilletor

Sounds like random hype talk.

"SFxT is the new CvS2... best fighter of all time!l - Mike Ross 2013

Maybe not the new CvS2, but it was the closest thing we had. Loved the game post patch.

-guard cancel
-rollback netcode
-emphasis on footsies

It's like Capcom knew SFxT's engine was solid, so they brought many of its properties into a new game that they knew people would actually pay attention to...a main line SF game.

Yeah, this is why I've been so excited.

the sound effects are definitely really incomplete. I think one clip with chun's CA made it super apparent. they probably haven't put too much time into that just yet.

It sounds more like SFxT, so maybe that's just the sounds they want? The sounds in SF4 sounded harder hitting and it sounded more satisfying. Hopefully they change that.

--------------------

Go check out the IGN video 13 things to know. Check out the juggle potential towards the end with Nash.

fader

Speaking of, was I the only one who thought Nash's win quote against Ryu was a little...odd?

hmm... that is odd.. I'm pretty sure around this timeline he finished his training with Gouken and managed to suppressed the satsui no hado

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well with the V Gauge stuff I guess we'll test what I was saying about everyone having character specific abilities in Blaz Blue. Its not hard, its not overwhelming...its just whether or not you like the environment its implemented in.

Street Fighter V
Killer Instinct
Injustice
Blaz Blue

This pleases me honestly. I like to see experimentation.

I'm excited, but Im laughing at reactions too.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Dictator's slide on counter looks to be a hard knockdown also. I for one am glad they took them out since SF4 relied too much on them. At the same time moves like scissor kick don't have their same impact and pressure as before it seems. All judging by this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBe2qKqa_Q

Edit: Also noticed that Dictator has 3 bars of V-Gauge while the others characters only have 2. Wonder if charge character's are getting more or if it a per character basis.

Pompadour

-guard cancel
-rollback netcode
-emphasis on footsies

It's funny to see people react so positively to stuff like this, when a lot of it was already in SFxT...

But, what ever, a game that takes after SFxT in terms of gameplay is all right by me.

SFxT had a lot of great ideas, it was just released too early. Another year and the game may have done better. The DLC shenanigans, horrific color scheme, and all the PlayStation exclusive characters didn't help, though.

I was pretty confident that Capcom was on the right path seeing what they kept and what they discarded for SFxT.

Onemic

- No more FA
- No more access to insane damage ultras for playing like shit
- No more safe reversals
- No more setup fighter iv
- No more whiffing specials to build meter
- Can gain V-gauge through blocking and effective use of V-skills(someone please AA so we can know if this adds to the V-gauge as well)

I am really liking the direction they're taking in SFV

Imm0rt4l

- No more FA
- No more access to insane damage ultras for playing like shit
- No more safe reversals
- No more setup fighter iv
- No more whiffing specials to build meter
- Can gain V-gauge through blocking and effective use of V-skills(someone please AA so we can know if this adds to the V-gauge as well)

I am really liking the direction they're taking in SFV
Same

Sheroking

I liked Focus well enough as a mechanic for one game. I'm glad it's not back. I can live with Parry being a Ryu only tool, but I didn't want that back either.

I love what I see so far.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm watching the Eurogamer video and I have to strongly disagree with this guy. Its on a case by case basis on how people felt about SFIV and he stating his as fact. Apparently everyone loved focus attacks, I hated it to be honest and glad v-skills will be replacing it. Other than that, he also said it won't have the same impact that SFIV did... I don't know what to say. With Sony backing this game up and advertising it heavily, I can only disagree and say SFV will have an even more powerful impact than SFIV.

The video.

Skilletor

I'm watching the Eurogamer video and I have to strongly disagree with this guy. Its on a case by case basis on how people felt about SFIV and he stating his as fact. Apparently everyone loved focus attacks, I hated it to be honest and glad v-skills will be replacing it. Other than that, he also said it won't have the same impact that SFIV did... I don't know what to say. With Sony backing this game up and advertising it heavily, I can only disagree and say SFV will have an even more powerful impact than SFIV.

The video.

It doesn't have to have the same impact SF4 did. It just has to build on SF4's long legs.

fader

The video.

it was really hard for me to take the Eurogamer guy seriously with comments like that ignoring many other variables. But whatever, gameplay is why i watched that vid.

Onemic

The video.

I somehow dont think this dude plays locally much if he actually thinks that everyone loved focus attacks.

I do think that he's right about it not having as much of an impact as SFIV, but not for the reasons he mentioned. From the footage it already looks like it'll be drastically different from IV. The only similarities I really see from IV are the art style and the slower pace compared to SF3 and previous entries. I can't see SFV having a bigger impact than SFIV simply because IV came out after a 10 year absence of the SF series and 2D fighters in general were almost dead at that point. SFV is coming at a time where it's not resurrecting the genre anymore as it's already healthy.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Guess we're gonna be SF avatar boyz for the rest of the summer.

It doesn't have to have the same impact SF4 did. It just has to build on SF4's long legs.

But the way he stated it felt as if SFV was a lower on the totem pole than SFIV. It rubbed me the wrong way since he's sounding like a presumptuous idiot.

it was really hard for me to take the Eurogamer guy seriously with comments like that ignoring many other variables. But whatever, gameplay is why i watched that vid.

That's how I felt but luckily the gameplay was what I came for, not his uninformed opinions.

I somehow dont think this dude plays locally much if he actually thinks that everyone loved focus attacks.

I do think that he's right about it not having as much of an impact as SFIV, but not for the reasons he mentioned. From the footage it already looks like it'll be drastically different from IV. The only similarities I really see from IV are the art style and the slower pace compared to SF3 and previous entries. I can't see SFV having a bigger impact than SFIV simply because IV came out after a 10 year absence of the SF series and 2D fighters in general were almost dead at that point. SFV is coming at a time where it's not resurrecting the genre anymore as it's already healthy.

After thinking about it a little more, these were exactly my thoughts. SFIV came in during the dark ages of fighting games and revitalized the series. SFV will keep the torch lit and move forward with the genre.

Skilletor

Guess we're gonna be SF avatar boyz for the rest of the summer.

But the way he stated it felt as if SFV was a lower on the totem pole than SFIV. It rubbed me the wrong way since he's sounding like a presumptuous idiot.

That's how I felt but luckily the gameplay was what I came for, not his uninformed opinions.

Ah, yeah. I see what you mean. I stopped listening after he said it looked like SF4.

Looks like Dictator's V-Gauge lasts quite a long time after it is activated compared to the other characters. Looks like his playstyle relies heavily on being able to build gauge then using it for the rest of the round to gain the upper hand. Don't know how I feel about that. His psycho blast thing also really reminds me of Venom's QV.

Top Bottom