• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

3 matchs in a 10 minutes video with combos and stuff : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6ghGitgjwyTL4bxCte?start=0 (if the video doesn't work, deactivate adblock)

XFgy8Jp.gif

Onemic

Outside of fighting games other competitive games have a much smoother gradient. This is all good for the decent people, but if it has no better way to teaching up new players with a bigger userbase and better tutorials and ways of teaching the game, I don't want to see bitching about it's the same people. Be like Tekken and be content with your smaller base.

But Capcom says they are trying with story mode, let's wait and see.

Nah breh. A beginner in CS: GO will get mauled by a high level player. Same with LoL, same with DOTA, same with Starcraft. In fact I'd say that you have even less of a chance of attaining victory in those games vs FG's because there is no comeback factor that favors the loser. Exception being that you're a newbie in a team full of high level players.

If you're talking about teaching the game to new players though, then I most definitely agree with you haha.

Dahbomb

Just thought of a nasty potential OS

Ryu low strong or low forward with a low parry. I could see something like that working.
That's not going to work because you will get the parry whiff animation.

If you could do that then the parry would be broken.

Now what I want to know is if you press throw plus parry what comes out? I think that might be a potential OS (press 4 buttons when guessing between an attack or throw) if you can press 4 buttons to get throw tech when throw and a parry when not thrown.

ShinMaruku

Plenty of other games out there for booty aficionados.
I agree. So people should not ask for R Mika she's a booty character. :p

SFxT is a good fighter surrounded by shitty marketing practices. I still feel it emphasizes basic Street Fighter gameplay better than SF4, I wish people would give the 2013 update another chance.
You give the fgc of 2013 too much credit. All they wanted was SF4.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Quick thoughts:

Bison not having Psycho Crusher is kind of weird but honestly I'm totally for drastic changes of characters we know and love. It's a different game, different time, and SFIV is still fresh in our heads. Plus it's not like Bison looks any less BIson.

UI is clean and very readable, I'm liking it. Only thing I'd like is probably individualized colours for the character portraits and perhaps some way to increment the health bar, whether like MKX or SFIV. Stun gauge is a nice addition and I like the little effect when you are stunned.

Gameplay has seen a noticeably speed improvement. Still a bit more hitstop than SFIV, but the gameplay looks super kinetic while still being impactful. Seeing Chun-Li doing that (new?) jump attack move looks particularly impactful.

Mechanically, I'm liking what we see thus far. Encouraging a use of character-specific abilities to earn character-specific installs is pretty on the money, but those have to be well balanced because I think they'll be super influential in how good characters are. Not X-Factor influential, but enough so that a character with a shitty V-Skill (whether in utility or how much bar it gives you) will have trouble activating V-Trigger consistently which seems like a big game changer. V-Skills are pretty much Focus Attacks now, but a bit more varied in utility from character-to-character so I wonder how that will shake out or we'll get the same backlash as Ultras did. I'm also totally fine with V-Reversals considering their cost and the meter they take from.

alstein

I agree. So people should not ask for R Mika she's a booty character. :p

You give the fgc of 2013 too much credit. All they wanted was SF4.

I disagree entirely. A big reason SFxTK failed was because of the wide variety of good games realized around that timeframe. Launch SFxTK had major pacing problems and a huge backlash from its marketing/DLC practices.

Onemic

BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Another game of getting DP after doing low MK into Fireball.

This seems to be a universal problem in other fighters as well, even those without input shortcuts. KOFXIII and 3S, for example have that same problem. It comes from holding forward and then immediately going into cr.mk xx fireball without going back to neutral on your stick/pad first.

Thulius

BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Another game of getting DP after doing low MK into Fireball.

Uh, if you're inputting the DF DF shortcut during that string your execution is really sloppy. If anything that should only happen after walking forward because of the normal DP motion.

Dahbomb

Uh, if you're inputting the DF DF shortcut during that string your execution is really sloppy. If anything that should only happen after walking forward because of the normal DP motion.
Happens very frequently when you do low forward by walking forward and holding d/f while crouching. There is no way a DP should come out from a crouching position but with that shortcut it happens.

This seems to be a problem in other fighters as well, even those without input shortcuts. KOFXIII and 3S, for example have that same problem.
It's not a problem in Omega SF4.

BadWolf

This seems to be a universal problem in other fighters as well, even those without input shortcuts. KOFXIII and 3S, for example have that same problem. It comes from holding forward and then immediately going into cr.mk xx fireball without going back to neutral on your stick/pad first.

Yup.

Virtua Fighter has a great solution for this, tapping guard lets you manually clear the buffer so you never have to worry about input overlap.

ShinMaruku

Nah breh. A beginner in CS: GO will get mauled by a high level player. Same with LoL, same with DOTA, same with Starcraft. In fact I'd say that you have even less of a chance of attaining victory in those games vs FG's because there is no comeback factor that favors the loser. Exception being that you're a newbie in a team full of high level players.

If you're talking about teaching the game to new players though, then I most definitely agree with you haha.

CS:Go, LoL and DOTA and DFO also have much more massive player bases (DFO much more so than the others combined probably 400 million accounts what the fuck) than fighting games and as a result has more of a gradient of players were the new ones will more likely get people to play and the other games also have better tutorials than the fgc dreams of having.

Dahbomb

by god that nash combo in the ign video.... sf is anime as fuck and i love it

wouldnt it take too long for the person to charge a fireball to go ahead and get the guard crush?
I think the implication is that you can cancel a DP and make it safe with V trigger.

Thulius

Happens very frequently when you do low forward by walking forward and holding d/f while crouching. There is no way a DP should come out from a crouching position but with that shortcut it happens.

It's not a problem in Omega SF4.

This is really confusing.

DP motion is F, D, DF. Fireball is QCF. F, QCF will give you a DP in pretty much every fighting game ever. F, DF, F does not get you a fireball in any game with QCF fireball motions.

I don't understand how the shortcut is the problem here.

Edit: Are you saying that you hold DF when you cr.MK? Because that's completely pointless and I would go back to my you have really sloppy execution argument if that's the case.

Seyavesh

CS:Go, LoL and DOTA and DFO also have much more massive player bases (DFO much more so than the others combined probably 400 million accounts what the fuck) than fighting games and as a result has more of a gradient of players were the new ones will more likely get people to play and the other games also have better tutorials than the fgc dreams of having.

do you really think dfo has a better pvp tutorial than any fighting game

like, do you earnestly believe that with all your heart

ShinMaruku

do you really think dfo has a better pvp tutorial than any fighting game

like, do you earnestly believe that with all your heart

DFO makes you level to become familiar with your moves. They don't just throw you out there with a battlemage and tell you "Learn da game lol" Also DFO has a much smoother player skill gradient due to it being so fucking huge.

Onemic

DP motion is F, D, DF. Fireball is QCF. F, QCF will give you a DP in pretty much every fighting game ever. F, DF, F does not get you a fireball in any game with QCF fireball motions.

It's not the shortcut. All fighters have this same problem.

I don't know how Omega mode handled it, but since SFV is taking many cues from Omega mode, it may be possible that they take the solution from there as well.

Nah, I lied. I looked at it again. I think that was just Ryu's crouching HP.

Dont scare us like that man!

Dahbomb

The input is :

d/f, d, d/f, f

This will give you a DP because of the short cut. You walk forward and do cr.MK (as d/f+MK) into Fireball then you get DP.

To avoid this you have to walk forward, hold d/b then go to forward from there to make sure you don't get the DP.

Thulius

The input is :

d/f, d, d/f, f

This will give you a DP because of the short cut. You walk forward and do cr.MK into Fireball then you get DP.

To avoid this you have to walk forward, hold d/b then go to forward from there to make sure you don't get the DP.

Yeah I just edited my post because I realized what you were saying. Uh, don't do that!

Onemic

Just to clear this up, are you arguing that a new play should be able to beat a high level player or that FG's should have better tutorials and teaching guides?

Seyavesh

DFO makes you level to become familiar with your moves. They don't just throw you out there with a battlemage and tell you "Learn da game lol"

i'd argue that the pve system does very little in aligning with the pvp system so the familiarity is almost entirely wasted beyond "this move has this range". it's actually less effective than someone playing against the computer in any fighting game because the traits of moves don't even carry over to fighting a human opponent

El Sabroso

Edit: Are you saying that you hold DF when you cr.MK? Because that's completely pointless and I would go back to my you have really sloppy execution argument if that's the case.

they had to remove it on Claw's Mask/Claw removal, just by walking forward and backwards and then crouching LP, gave you the DP motion, it was hella annoying in that case

vocab

Don't do that = a great defense for a shit input system. Cmon.

When pro players get overlapping inputs you know its trash. the DF, DF input already killed a portion of my hype. What's next? Corner cross ups?

Thulius

Easier said than done when walking back and forward. Even Daigo gets that random DP sometimes.

I'm not saying it's not an issue, I'm saying that if you stop at DF long enough that you wouldn't get a DP in any other game then there's literally nothing lost by going to DB instead.

It's not a shortcut issue, it's an execution issue that every FG player has been dealing with forever.

Top Bottom