• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Horseress

SNUCant.gif

Jesus.

Where is this from? I've only watched videos with the new stage

Skab

Also a shame that they gutted GFWL from the steam version, without giving it any sort of replacement, making it unable to be played online. Thanks Capcom.

soakrates

Some of the SFV changes I really like, others I'm not so sure about. So far, every character appears to have some kind of strong projectile countermeasure (parry, absorb for meter, reflect, command hop) and the changes to the workings of chip damage seem odd. I'm really itching to see what the game looks like when competitive players start grasping the system and character specifics. For now, though, it sounds like projectiles are kinda getting shit on, and I'm pretty iffy on that.

Onemic

I like the changes to chip damage. Normals deal chip, but it's like Vampire Savior in that, if you go on offense and dont stay on defense all day, you recover the grey health dealt to you. No chip kills unless it's a super art is refreshing as well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Some of the SFV changes I really like, others I'm not so sure about. So far, every character appears to have some kind of strong projectile countermeasure (parry, absorb for meter, reflect, command hop) and the changes to the workings of chip damage seem odd. I'm really itching to see what the game looks like when competitive players start grasping the system and character specifics. For now, though, it sounds like projectiles are kinda getting shit on, and I'm pretty iffy on that.

Projectiles had real use in SF3 even with parry

ShinMaruku

Too bad they couldnt release the game like that.

Given how they treated the launch they deserved not to have it release like that. Now I loved the game but let's not delude ourselves the general sf community would never have gone to it even if it launched like that.

Dai101

Banned
- No more FA
- No more access to insane damage ultras for playing like shit
- No more safe reversals
- No more setup fighter iv
- No more whiffing specials to build meter
- Can gain V-gauge through blocking and effective use of V-skills(someone please AA so we can know if this adds to the V-gauge as well)

I am really liking the direction they're taking in SFV

SFIV without trining weels!!!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
fucking canada

fucking best buy
Yup.

Alpha counters!
Also V-Reversals = Alpha counters!
I propose we call them Nu Counters.

I hope this catches on.

I love the slapstick humor they got going with this and the noodle hat.
Agreed.

V Skills don't require meter to use. My guess is that landing them successfully gives you V meter.
This would make a lot of sense, any confirmation anywhere?

I know how they're touting cross-play quite a bit, but if you can't meet up with friends via a common Capcom ID between platforms, it's gonna end up being that you can only play cross-platform with randoms.

Well with the V Gauge stuff I guess we'll test what I was saying about everyone having character specific abilities in Blaz Blue. Its not hard, its not overwhelming...its just whether or not you like the environment its implemented in.

Street Fighter V
Killer Instinct
Injustice
Blaz Blue

This pleases me honestly. I like to see experimentation.
Yep, this is by far my favourite mechanic in fighting games right now.

Onemic

Given how they treated the launch they deserved not to have it release like that. Now I loved the game but let's not delude ourselves the general sf community would never have gone to it even if it launched like that.

ya, the DLC bs really hurt any good that came out of that game. The balancing stuff was just icing on the cake.

Mr. X

SFxT > SF4 but there were other titles I spent time on.

I agree with the every mp+mk is anti projectile not seeming right.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I like it. I like it awlot. The zoom and character proportions are spot on. I was worried that the characters would look bloated but they nailed it.

Dahbomb

It was on one of the articles they stated that using V skills give you meter. Don't know which one though, so many floating around.

ShinMaruku

Only way to stop the dlc bs is to make it sink a few games. If there is one thing we know that makes devs listen it's their games failing.
Like the people who thought the bitching brought flying back, nope it was a bunch more people unsubbing and those shits going, "BAKANA!"

Onemic

It was on one of the articles they stated that using V skills give you meter. Don't know which one though, so many floating around.

It's in the videos as well. I just need someone to do a damn AA so we can know if this adds to V-gauge, or just to your super meter.

kitzkozan

IGN put up a vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_dTwrtBfOE

I guess. When you think about, that level of damage and stun was done with V-Trigger and a bar or EX.

Even so, that's a lot of damage off a simple combo. I think I get where you are going with this...

Yeah, the skill gap between average / casual and pros will quickly be insurmountable if it stay the same post launch. High damage output and the v-skill / trigger will mean that lesser player will die quickly to superior players.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Clawww

it's interesting because the V-skills seem to require a decent amount of commitment. would be rough for chun if she has to jump in just to build her trigger, although that does seem balanced by her air options--double hitting j.HP, air legs (+EX legs), and footstomps.

Onemic

Even so, that's a lot of damage off a simple combo. I think I get where you are going with this...

Yeah, the skill gap between average / casual and pros will quickly be insurmountable if it stay the same post launch. High damage output and the v-skill / trigger will mean that lesser player will die quickly to superior players.

...Every fighting game has been like this though. Every competitive game is like this.

BadWolf

They do, you can see it in the footage.

Ryu gains V meter after parrying.

it's interesting because the V-skills seem to require a decent amount of commitment. would be rough for chun if she has to jump in just to build her trigger, although that does seem balanced by her air options--double hitting j.HP, air legs (+EX legs), and footstomps.

The V gauge also builds when your character takes damage.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Only way to stop the dlc bs is to make it sink a few games. If there is one thing we know that makes devs listen it's their games failing.
Like the people who thought the bitching brought flying back, nope it was a bunch more people unsubbing and those shits going, "BAKANA!"

I will buy all the dlc costumes man, the game is looking good

Dai101

Banned

Then you realize that you need a good set-up for that combo to work and all your assumptions are meaningless. Just like every FG ever.

stn

SFxT is a good fighter surrounded by shitty marketing practices. I still feel it emphasizes basic Street Fighter gameplay better than SF4, I wish people would give the 2013 update another chance.

Skab

So that character art on gamersyde/facebook..are those stages behind them? Because Chun's looks like the Hong Kong stage. Could hint at everyone having their own stage again.

ShinMaruku

...Every fighting game has been like this though. Every competitive game is like this.

Outside of fighting games other competitive games have a much smoother gradient. This is all good for the decent people, but if it has no better way to teaching up new players with a bigger userbase and better tutorials and ways of teaching the game, I don't want to see bitching about it's the same people. Be like Tekken and be content with your smaller base.

But Capcom says they are trying with story mode, let's wait and see.

alstein

Just thought of a nasty potential OS

Ryu low strong or low forward with a low parry. I could see something like that working.

Seyavesh

please increase the walkspeed more please god why you do this to me

at least ryu's dash doesn't look like a snail desperately attempting to flee from rising tides anymore

also a significantly lesser player losing quickly to a superior player is something that should always happen, losing in a dragged out fashion horrifically is 100x worse than getting curbstomped instantly

Dahbomb

If anything it's the opposite. Casual players can do a simple combo to do big damage and random hits do more damage. Random counter hits can lead to easy combo for big damage.

Casual players will get beat in neutral anyway.

alstein

If anything it's the opposite. Casual players can do a simple combo to do big damage and random hits do more damage. Random counter hits can lead to easy combo for big damage.

Casual players will get beat in neutral anyway.

Big damage allows for higher variance.

VF is high damage. I could win rounds off top players in that game- and occasionally games. Cpuld do it in ST as well.

I have a much lower success rate vs top SF4/KOF players.

Top Bottom