• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

ShinMaruku

Just to clear this up, are you arguing that a new play should be able to beat a high level player or that FG's should have better tutorials and teaching guides?
No, I am arguing that those games by having a much larger player base their ranking systems have enough bodies to keep the high level players away from the new ones and with enough people they can play nearer their skill level and actually learn thing to skill up to getting to a higher level more naturally. A smoother player gradient can allow better tutorials and teaching guides.

You can't expect some new person just getting continually crushed in something to come back after getting destroyed. On the other hand you can't have people expecting new people to learn their tricks under the old system.

It's a two step system, smoother player gradient plus better guides and the player base will naturally get better.

Onemic

No, I am arguing that those games by having a much larger player base their ranking systems have enough bodies to keep the high level players away from the new ones and with enough people they can play nearer their skill level and actually learn thing to skill up to getting to a higher level more naturally. A smoother player gradient can allow better tutorials and teaching guides.

You can't expect some new person just getting continually crushed in something to come back after getting destroyed. On the other hand you can't have people expecting new people to learn their tricks under the old system.

It's a two step system, smoother player gradient plus better guides and the player base will naturally get better.

SFV just has to have a much better matchmaking system. SF4's matchmaking is no MKX, but it's still not that good either. The new players are there, even in USF4, but they often dont get matched up with other new players

Don't do that = a great defense for a shit input system. Cmon.

When pro players get overlapping inputs you know its trash. the DF, DF input already killed a portion of my hype. What's next? Corner cross ups?

...but it's not due to the shortcut though

Imm0rt4l

3 matchs in a 10 minutes video with combos and stuff : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6ghGitgjwyTL4bxCte?start=0 (if the video doesn't work, deactivate adblock)

XFgy8Jp.gif
Great seeing solid play this early

ShinMaruku

With stun it effectively means your turn is over. It's just 1 more unessisary advantage to the attacker, if they get you stunned you were already losing, but to make you part of a combo video mid match can be annoying. I see why they added it because you have Daigo and sako who will do some NASTY stuff off stun to destroy people and that brings hype.

i'd argue that the pve system does very little in aligning with the pvp system so the familiarity is almost entirely wasted beyond "this move has this range". it's actually less effective than someone playing against the computer in any fighting game because the traits of moves don't even carry over to fighting a human opponent
This move has this range is quite valuable in that it teaches you what move does what and gives you time to familarize yourself with it in the simplest of ways, when a move becomes second nature then when you are challened with another oppenent you know what moves you have and the lag time between learning skills cuts down on information overload which is something I think is way underestmated by fighting game players. Why you think some people auto pilot or play the game in ways that you find dumb?

DFO has a nonexistent PvP tutorial. Come on now son.

Breh them pcbangs in Korea and the cafes in China are some next level shit with their bootcamps :p

SFV being cross-play online between PS4/PC will definitely help the userbase, but having a good netcode overall should be the priority. In a world with lobbies/netcode like Ultimax/Xrd, SF needs a major improvement because 4's is pretty bad, especially on PSN.

SFV just has to have a much better matchmaking system. SF4's matchmaking is no MKX, but it's still not that good either. The new players are there, even in USF4, but they often dont get matched up with other new players
Hypothetical: after matchmaking fails to find an equally skilled player for a beginner, it instead loads up ghost AI for them to fight against (and doesn't tell them it's a CPU player). Bad idea? Worst idea?

Dahbomb

...but it's not due to the shortcut though
It doesn't happen in Omega mode (which doesn't have the d/f shortcut) and it doesn't happen in GGXrd. In non SF4 games, you shouldn't be able to get a DP from a crouching position unless they have a shortcut like that.

So you should never get an accidental DP from a cr.MK unless let go of crouch, go forward and then do the rest. The shortcut makes it easy to do a DP cancel from a crouching normal when normally it's hard to do (harder than doing crouching normal into fireball motion for sure). But this comes at the cost of you getting a DP when you mean to do a fireball.

Juicebox explains this stuff better than me.

Hypothetical: after matchmaking fails to find an equally skilled player for a beginner, it instead loads up ghost AI for them to fight against (and doesn't tell them it's a CPU player). Bad idea? Worst idea?

Considering the history of most fighting game AI, you'd really have to be a beginner to not notice you're fighting an AI.

SFV being cross-play online between PS4/PC will definitely help the userbase, but having a good netcode overall should be the priority. In a world with lobbies/netcode like Ultimax/Xrd, SF needs a major improvement because 4's is pretty bad, especially on PSN.

Time will tell, but it certainly sounds like they're taking the netcode seriously. Building the "Kagemusha" from the ground-up based on GGPO/rollback tech, instead of taking any of that old SF4 stuff into the next game. Having an online beta to stress test taht shit should help, too.

Imm0rt4l

Nash not being a charge character totally makes room for Guile to still be in, right?

...Right?
Guile has been searching for charlie forever. From a story standpoint, I see there being no way guile doesn't make it in sfv at some point or another.

And their making charlie less of a clone is so intentional that I'd be surprised if guile wasn't in sfv.

VariantX

Nash not being a charge character totally makes room for Guile to still be in, right?

...Right?

Not that I'm any kind of SF expert, but I don't see why not when we have V-Skills mechanic that would only further differentiate them. They're already so different now that the only common thread they have is that their projectiles are sonic booms.

ShinMaruku

More people playing of differening skill levels would make the match making even stronger. You need a baseline of all the skill levels ramping up in a way to help transition players. That's why I brought up those massive ones, it's the size that helps make their match making even stronger.

Skab

Not that I'm any kind of SF expert, but I don't see why not when we have V-Skills mechanic that would only further differentiate them. They're already so different now that the only common thread they have is that their projectiles are sonic booms.

Yeah. And if he does show up, I fully expect them to give him his Omega edition multi booms.

Pompadour

With stun it effectively means your turn is over. It's just 1 more unessisary advantage to the attacker, if they get you stunned you were already losing, but to make you part of a combo video mid match can be annoying. I see why they added it because you have Daigo and sako who will do some NASTY stuff off stun to destroy people and that brings hype.

I agree that stun just rubs salt in the wounds of a player that's already losing but I think you could implement stun in a way where it isn't something you're rewarded for doing what you already want to do. There's been moves in SF that give more stun than others so I think crafting a movelist where large amounts of stun can be done in exchange for less damage upfront would create a risk reward system.

Seyavesh

This move has this range is quite valuable in that it teaches you what move does what and gives you time to familarize yourself with it in the simplest of ways, when a move becomes second nature then when you are challened with another oppenent you know what moves you have and the lag time between learning skills cuts down on information overload which is something I think is way underestmated by fighting game players. Why you think some people auto pilot or play the game in ways that you find dumb?

hmm, that's fair in regards to cutting down on information overload by some amount
though i'd still say that the prolonged pve exposure doesn't really familiarize the player with the purpose of the move or it's potential uses given the differing properties of moves between pve/pvp. it's not really effective or efficient in any manner and is still ultimately less valuable than 'fight the computer' modes in fighting games, which would provide a similar context of range

Thulius

damn thulius where were you last night

Staying home because I'm a big sleepy baby.

It doesn't happen in Omega mode (which doesn't have the d/f shortcut) and it doesn't happen in GGXrd. In non SF4 games, you shouldn't be able to get a DP from a crouching position unless they have a shortcut like that.

So you should never get an accidental DP from a cr.MK unless let go of crouch, go forward and then do the rest. The shortcut makes it easy to do a DP cancel from a crouching normal when normally it's hard to do (harder than doing crouching normal into fireball motion for sure). But this comes at the cost of you getting a DP when you mean to do a fireball.

Ok but I still don't understand why you feel the need to do F, DF, QCF over F, DB, QCF. Both will give you a DP in every game if you don't pause before or during the DF/DB. If you do DB instead you might accidentally block something before you cr.MK and you don't have to worry about SF4's shortcut. It's a win/win.

Staying home because I'm a big sleepy baby.

Ok but I still don't understand why you feel the need to do F, DF, QCF over F, DB, QCF. Both will give you a DP in every game if you don't pause before or during the DF/DB. If you do DB instead you might accidentally block something before you cr.MK and you don't have to worry about SF4's shortcut. It's a win/win.

missed out on that marvel 2v2 and a guy rolling through from St Louis on his way to pittsburgh

Onemic

The input shortcut makes it more likely to happen as there are more situations that the accidental DP can come out, but it is a general FG problem. It's even in SF2. My problem with it coming out(and I assume most peoples problem as this situation is more likely to come up than the shortcut situation) has always been due to the original issue of holding forward and then doing c.mk xx fireball. I never hold df, so the situation where I would get an accidental dp due to the input shortcut does not happen.

Regardless Omega mode removes the shortcut, thus removing the accidental dp problem associated with that, but more interestingly it also removes the bigger problem of getting an accidental dp by doing f, d, d/f, f

If SFV is indeed taking cues from Omega mode they could implement the fix for the f, d, d/f, f problem and they could probably fix the input shortcut problem by the system not allowing a dp if it sees the motion of d/f, d, d/f, f. Easy enough fix, I would think, especially since Omega mode fixed the original c.mk xx accidental dp problem.

Vulva, you gotta test this stuff for us pls.

jerry1594

『Inaba Resident』;167391414 said:
Ultra on PS4 got a 2nd patch. Fixes some of the audio issues and input lag apparently.

is there a reason why it shouldn't be qcf?
I just like the mash better. In the context of the game though. Bad jump+ air ll is easy escape from fireball punish

Top Bottom