• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How 'bout a fucking release date, Gamespot!?
Don't look at Gamespot, look at the company that flies out their people to push a console release in the west and just answers all the console questions with stuff about the arcades.

To be fair though, I think the translator was having a bit of trouble.

Dahbomb

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

Salex_

Is anyone surprised by the interview? Fighting game interviews are much harder than other genres. The interviewer really has to know about the game or genre to ask some good questions.

He should have already had a list of questions from fans though.

CurlyW

I didn't see any details suggesting that on anywhere on the Dreamhack site or the BinaryBeast page, though. I think what I'll do is unsubscribe from the tournament then send them an email and see what's up.

EDIT: Figures, BinaryBeast is down.

I not 100% certain, but based on some random browsing of the Dreamhack website I did in the past, I believe that ESPORTSM is Sweden's national esports competition. They have one for Starcraft as well as SF4, possibly other games too. I've never seen a non-Swede listed either the SF4 or Starcraft competition.

EDIT: Oh you already found the thing that says it's Swedes only.

K.Sabot

Is anyone surprised by the interview? Fighting game interviews are much harder than other genres. The interviewer really has to know about the game or genre to ask some good questions.

He should have already had a list of questions from fans though.

Somehow IGN's live demo staff earlier today were huge smash fans dropping technical terms like short hops and nair.

There's at least one fighting game dude in the gamespot office ( he played combofiend on one of their shows for Ultra), maybe they didn't bring him out.

I not 100% certain, but based on some random browsing of the Dreamhack website I did in the past, I believe that ESPORTSM is Sweden's national esports competition. They have one for Starcraft as well as SF4, possibly other games too. I've never seen a non-Swede listed either the SF4 or Starcraft competition.

Yeah, I just did some research and added it to my post you quoted.

Cannot say I'm too disappointed. Utterly bizarre to have a Swedish-only SF event, though. Totally against the spirit of Street Fighter competition.

kirblar

No, he's an Atlus employee.
Atlus has absolutely no involvement with Guilty Gear.
Yeah, was afraid of that (he was terrific on UCTV) - knew that all of Arc Sys's various IPs have a lot of different balls juggling.

Just watched through the MKX presentation and wow that game is looking fantastic.

RocBase

that's it? 1 question from the chat + b-roll footage?

lol

though this is the first time i'm seeing the sin guy...he looks a right mess

No fuck that, "Is this anime inspired?" " Are you inspired from metal?"

this is absolutely Gamespot just not giving a shit.
It's not like ASW and Aksys are completely clueless about what they're going to be asked. You also have to keep in mind that no question in the world was going to change the fact that ASW didn't really have anything to show on stream besides Sol vs Ky. Oh, and Sin, I guess? I mean they couldn't even give us a release date for the US, right?

It's not like ASW and Aksys are completely clueless about what they're going to be asked. You also have to keep in mind that no question in the world was going to change the fact that ASW didn't really have anything to show on stream besides Sol vs Ky. Oh, and Sin, I guess? I mean they couldn't even give us a release date for the US, right?

That's true, but sending a reporter who's maybe... heard of GG before at least can't hurt, right?

Infinite

I mean but those guys didn't even know what a guilty gear was. ASW could have showed them AC+ and they result would have been the same

kirblar

If you're introducing the game, you want to start with the big selling points- simple short combo system that has depth for advanced players, graphic style influenced by rock and manga, and the crazy 3D faking 2D technique that allows it to look like no other fighting game ever.

You want to redirect the questions to talk about the things you want to talk about.

I hope MK doesn't back itself into a corner like Ono did with Street Fighter. The more characters you add, the harder it is the make a sequel.

I hope MK doesn't back itself into a corner like Ono did with Street Fighter. The more characters you add, the harder it is the make a sequel.

Fortunately MK9 took the approach of
murdering almost the entire cast
so they had canon reasons for some characters not returning for MK10.

I'm a bit sad that this means Stryker isn't going to be in the game. He was my favourite character in MK9. :(

kirblar

Well, they did kill a large % of the cast in MK9. :p They are smartly doing the same thing w/ MKX that they did with MK9 though - the game covers 25 years of story, so it lets them mix/match new and old characters without having to "age up" the older ones.

Horseress

Some Smash footage from e3

for 3ds

for wiiU

Can some of our smash guys breakdown something? I know it looks awesome, but can't see the "competitive aspects" as well as you guys probably can. I heard there isn't wavedashing, but there's hitstun, and that's great (?)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Some Smash footage from e3

for 3ds

for wiiU

Can some of our smash guys breakdown something? I know it looks awesome, but can't see the "competitive aspects" as well as you guys probably can. I heard there isn't wavedashing, but there's hitstun, and that's great (?)

hitstun is always a plus for combo potential. the one worry for a lot of smash players is the speed of the game. brawl had everything melee did, they just slowed it down so much that there was no hype.

kirblar

ClashTournament's Twitter impressions courtesy of Intelliheath from the Invitational thread-
There is no laser canceling with Fox. Laser spam seems slow and not as useful now.

Villagers tree is not as slow as people think, and I think its super useful.

Greninja... Seriously. He feels REALLY good!

ZSS has a new final Smash that's a first person shooter like Snake. Video footage coming later.

Honestly there's plenty of times I feel helpless in the game, and I mean that in terms of hitstun. Its a good thing.

However, I feel like there's a lot more cool down lag and landing lag in general...

My mind feels confused in adapting to it because its like the movement speed of Melee but restricted by cool down lag and techs of Brawl.

It allows for combos but tougher to link, but due to needing offensive precision rather than overpowered defense.
Sounds like a good mix of Brawl/Melee/OG speeds.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fortunately MK9 took the approach of
murdering almost the entire cast
so they had canon reasons for some characters not returning for MK10.

I'm a bit sad that this means Stryker isn't going to be in the game. He was my favourite character in MK9. :(
What does death mean in MK though? It's not like it's the same Sub Zero in every game and Scorpion is undead.

A lot of these e3 demos have been pretty awful. Pre-recorded clips and super rushed segments replaying shit we saw at the conferences explaining obvious stuff. -sigh-

I mean but those guys didn't even know what a guilty gear was. ASW could have showed them AC+ and they result would have been the same
I honestly don't care anymore. The games media is full of people who don't have an amazing amount of experience and knowledge. It is especially hard at this time of the year when said FG knowledgeable interviewers may be on call somewhere else because they have knowledge in a more popular genre

The onus is on the people bringing the product to the show imo. There is also the huge incentive in crossplay between the PS3 and PS4 versions which could have been mentioned on stream for those who don't know. Honestly, it's not on Gamespot because they don't lose much at all if GG's slot is taken by something else. I just saw the MK10 interview. I have near zero interest in Mortal Kombat nowdays, but I sat through the 12 minutes or so because there are new characters on show at the very least. Gamespot can't make hype with no ingredients lol.

What does death mean in MK though? It's not like it's the same Sub Zero in every game and Scorpion is undead.

They've shown four totally new characters (with the remaining two being the Ryu and Ken of MK) which departs completely from the "let's relaunch the franchise with the characters people remember from the good old days" logic of MK9.

MK9 was like SF4 - a brand relaunch. This game so far seems like it's trying to do a SF3 and focus on new characters.

Top Bottom