• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Maybe folks who aren't happy with the speed should start a Twitter trend:
#SmashTooSlow

OR

#SpeedSmashUp

Get the message out if you think it's a problem. Sakurai might change things if he sees a lot of fans agreeing.

Agreed, FGW | Put down your Pikachus.

What happened with Reggie?
The second place player called him out on a match. Reggie said "I suck at Smash". Then he said he's going to practice up on the new one, and "Next year I'll kick your ass". Rather humanizing moment.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's also Day -100 and the game isn't finished nor are people playing at a high level

Duly noted, but there's little reason to expect it to change much. Unless Nintendo directly responds to this event with a revision of their game design document, I expect the game to look just like this in Winter.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Reggie is just a great speaker. Son freestyled that effortlessly and spit game back at the 2nd place player. Made Geoff look bad on that stage. I'm expecting Def Jam Sunshine to be unveiled at the Roundtable, exclusive to the Wii U.

Azure J

Game looks like fun if you don't think about Melee.

Proper ground spacing still doesn't seem possible without rolling, kill percentages are too high, and the ledge game looks nonexistent. Competitively, it looks trash tier.,

I feel like it's too early to call here. I was kinda surprised I didn't see more of the Melee heads attempting things like dash dancing though. I think it's just the hype but I'm feeling kinda confident about the game. Only thing I'd really like to see is one "official" advanced movement/higher speed movement option to play with, but besides that I think I could enjoy this WAY more than I did Brawl.

Kumubou

The one thing that concerned me about the SSB on the Wii U wasn't even the speed, but how the hitstun seems too close to Brawl's complete lack of hitstun. Saw way too many instances of people mashing on air dodge to avoid air combos and people getting thrown after landing ground hits. At least it's not the wackness that is hitstun canceling in Brawl -- but it seems too low. However, I don't know how much of this is due to rough execution and general unfamiliarity.

Sayah

Smash 4 is definitely looking hot. A solid online netcode and I will be officially dropping Tekken Tag 2 as my main multiplayer game. Lack of ranking matches is disappointing, however.

Kimosabae

Banned
I feel like it's too early to call here. I was kinda surprised I didn't see more of the Melee heads attempting things like dash dancing though. I think it's just the hype but I'm feeling kinda confident about the game. Only thing I'd really like to see is one "official" advanced movement/higher speed movement option to play with, but besides that I think I could enjoy this WAY more than I did Brawl.

Box was DDing with Kirby a few times as a post-kill dalliance. It was only a few pixels in width, which implies it hasn't been Melee-restored and is more like Brawl. They'd be executing it if it existed. Being able to DD would offer you the best option in terms of ground spacing and facilitating winning the tournament.

Sayah

Smash 4 looks exactly like Brawl tbh.

Kinda sold on it though, really wanna try Little Mac.

Not enough to buy a Wii U tbh

Smash alone is enough for me.

But with Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1 + 2, XCX, and the NEW ZELDA, it's a sealed deal.

Will buy PS4 at a later point for KH3, FFXV, and the eventual Tekken 7.

Infinite

The one thing that concerned me about the SSB on the Wii U wasn't even the speed, but how the hitstun seems too close to Brawl's complete lack of hitstun. Saw way too many instances of people mashing on air dodge to avoid air combos and people getting thrown after landing ground hits. At least it's not the wackness that is hitstun canceling in Brawl -- but it seems too low. However, I don't know how much of this is due to rough execution and general unfamiliarity.

my thoughts precisely. although the off the stage game looked suspect but that probably has to do with unfamiliarity as well.

Smash 4 is definitely looking hot. A solid online netcode and I will be officially dropping Tekken Tag 2 as my main multiplayer game. Lack of ranking matches is disappointing, however.
It is wild world when you and I might both drop our respective favorite games, which are polar opposites, for Smash Bros.

The game really seems like Brawl 2. It is just not fun to watch & not enough going on to keep anyone interested in playing competitivly. And the game is too damn slow.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So why is everyone jumping ship for Smash Bros? Did I miss something? I watched the invitational. It looked fun. I'll buy it and play it. I guess I'm not seeing the magic.

Kimosabae

Banned
The game being slower, matches taking a long time, etc.

They weren't playing optimized and the majority of matches were the equivalent to playing with three of your friends

Player agency and optimization doesn't need to be evaluated when ledge-grabbing has Brawl's auto-sweetspot distances, ground movement is restricted (in relation to Melee), and Smash attacks like Fox's Up Smash don't kill at 120%. In relation to our competitive barometer, the game, in its current state, will emphatically undershoot Melee. I'm not saying things can't get better with design changes, I'm just evaluating what's being presented now. Being good at the game isn't going to change these things.

So why is everyone jumping ship for Smash Bros? Did I miss something? I watched the invitational. It looked fun. I'll buy it and play it. I guess I'm not seeing the magic.

There is a lot of appeal for a kid friendly title that is barely a fighting game. But now that Marvel is dead, people who fit that market are probably just looking for something different.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Three people posting repeatedly isn't everyone though!

Well, this is the FGW thread, with a lower volume of regular posters and the most hardcore group of fighting game enthusiasts on GAF... so when three people in a row are jumping ship for Smash, it makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

Player agency and optimization doesn't need to be evaluated when ledge-grabbing has Brawl's auto-sweetspot distances, ground movement is restricted (in relation to Melee), and Smash attacks like Fox's Up Smash don't kill at 120%. In relation to our competitive barometer, the game, in its current state, will emphatically undershoot Melee. I'm not saying things can't get better, with design changes, I'm just evaluating what's being presented now. Being good at the game isn't going to change these things.

Exactly. Thank you. The game's system is booty right now.

Well, this is the FGW thread, with a lower volume of regular posters and the most hardcore group of fighting game enthusiasts on GAF... so when three people in a row are jumping ship for Smash, it makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

nobody wants to play dead fighting games

Dahbomb

Fans of series anticipating new game in said series over playing other older games.

Nothing new. It's like going into a DMC thread and saying "man why is everyone jumping ship to play DMC5?"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There is a lot of appeal for a kid friendly title that is barely a fighting game. But now that Marvel is dead, people who fit that market are probably just looking for something different.

Is that really it? Because the logic of No Update/Patch = Dead means that Marvel's been dead for years. There are also several anime games coming out, which are a lot closer to Marvel than Smash ever would be.

Fans of series anticipating new game in said series over playing other older games.

Nothing new. It's like going into a DMC thread and saying "man why is everyone jumping ship to play DMC5?"

Except it wouldn't be DMC5, it'd be NG4. But I get your point. It's mostly people who were already fans of the series, I guess.

knee

OQihYMnm.jpg
T5xL6wSm.jpg
UPhIVDHm.jpg

I know this comes off kind of shill-ish, but I'm only one dude. Either way, I made some new shirts for the FGC.

http://drawp.com/ <-- buy / preorder 'em here.

Imgur gallery here (if you just want to scroll quickly): http://imgur.com/a/G42U6

Save 25% on your order with coupon code 'RKAPPA25'

Hurry all that up though, because the code ends on Sunday 6/14/14, 11:59 EST. See you guys at CEO2014 . (cheap plug, I made the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDXzbN_5XTU )

FGC cycle:

* Guilty Gear is the best, not that I ever actually play it.
* OMG, new game/character looks amazing, I'm totally going to main it.
* Day 1, this is awesome, I'm going to train and go to EVO!
* Day 2. This is bullshit, game/character is too hard, needs a patch.
* Day 3, No patch, not playing this shit anymore, Guilty Gear is a way better fighting game anyway.

Is that really it? Because the logic of No Update/Patch = Dead means that Marvel's been dead for years. There are also several anime games coming out, which are a lot closer to Marvel than Smash ever would be.

no one actually plays anime games except q/people with anime avatars

come on GuardianE you know this shit

Sayah

Tag 2 isn't dead. I just need something new to play since 95% of my gaming time has already gone towards the game since its September 2012 release.

It's sort of my gaming cycle. I cycle back and forth from Tekken and Smash Bros. This has been happening since the Smash Bros. N64 and Tekken 3 PS1 days.

The game really seems like Brawl 2. It is just not fun to watch & not enough going on to keep anyone interested in playing competitivly. And the game is too damn slow.

People can hate Brawl all they want. I loved that game. I have over 1000 hours clocked in it just from non-stop local matches. My second most played game after Tag 2.

So glad for gamecube controller support too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FGC cycle:

* Day 3, No patch, not playing this shit anymore, Guilty Gear is a way better fighting game anyway.
It's almost like you summarized Q's posting history.

Rhapsody

Banned

I've been told that air dodging at least increases landing recovery. I don't know if it was confirmed, but at least that's something.
There's definitely less hitstun than 64 and Melee, but I don't know how to feel about the amount just yet.

FFA was pretty hectic so it was hard to keep an eye on things. Guess I'll find out how hitstun and DI is when I play it tomorrow.

Kalamari

FGC cycle:

What day is today? I want to know so I can fit in. :p

Top Bottom