• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

FSLink

Banned
Well, this is the FGW thread, with a lower volume of regular posters and the most hardcore group of fighting game enthusiasts on GAF... so when three people in a row are jumping ship for Smash, it makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

Melee is one of the most hardcore fighting games and has a lot of technical skill (someone post that Fox inputs gif), so if people think Smash 4 looks good I'm not surprised that people want to jump to it.

And as I'm saying that Sakurai says Smash is a party game. Shit, lol.

Dahbomb

8:02 Neal Ronaghan:
A competitive Smash player is trying to challenge Sakurai to see if he can win and help balance the game. Sakurai asked "have you ever made a game?"

not only hasn't he made a game, he's probably a shitty spider-man player too

pdiddyreacts.gif

OQihYMnm.jpg
T5xL6wSm.jpg
UPhIVDHm.jpg

I know this comes off kind of shill-ish, but I'm only one dude. Either way, I made some new shirts for the FGC.

http://drawp.com/ <-- buy / preorder 'em here.

Imgur gallery here (if you just want to scroll quickly): http://imgur.com/a/G42U6

Save 25% on your order with coupon code 'RKAPPA25'

Hurry all that up though, because the code ends on Sunday 6/14/14, 11:59 EST. See you guys at CEO2014 . (cheap plug, I made the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDXzbN_5XTU )
These are 10 times better than Neo's dog shit clothes. Nice designs, I might buy some.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Melee is one of the most hardcore fighting games and has a lot of technical skill (someone post that Fox inputs gif), so if people think Smash 4 looks good I'm not surprised that people want to jump to it.

And as I'm saying that Sakurai says Smash is a party game. Shit, lol.

I don't question Melee's status at all. It's absolutely a technical game. I'm just saying that Smash 4 doesn't really seem like a "replacement" for current mainstays. Why can't you play both? Also, there seems to be some comparisons to Brawl, which is a huge negative.

The Invitational itself didn't really seem like a great showcase for the competitive player... but people were responding positively so I wanted to know why. I seriously wanted to know if I just was just being obtuse and missing something.

El Sloth

Banned
"Neal Ronaghan: Sakurai believe he gave players too much choice in Brawl online. seems to have misunderstood intent of question."

lol

Sakurai, please.

Azure J

Doesn't he consider Melee a mistake in many ways with respect to balancing or something?

Quite the opposite surprisingly. He's gone on record more than once stating that Melee is the sharpest game in the franchise and the game he's most proud of making out of all the games he's had a hand in. Which is funny given the stances he's taken with the successive games.

That all said, this dude was chucking Niitsuma level flames.

FSLink

Banned
I don't question Melee's status at all. It's absolutely a technical game. I'm just saying that Smash 4 doesn't really seem like a "replacement" for current mainstays. Why can't you play both? Also, there seems to be some comparisons to Brawl, which is a huge negative.

People jumped ship to Brawl when it first came out, but then moved back to Melee after sometime because they felt Brawl was shit. I think this is similar.

Kimosabae

Banned
Quite the opposite surprisingly. He's gone on record more than once stating that Melee is the sharpest game in the franchise and the game he's most proud of making out of all the games he's had a hand in. Which is funny given the stances he's taken with the successive games.

That all said, this dude was chucking Niitsuma level flames.

Please provide a link. I don't remember him ever saying that.

Beats

Neal Ronaghan: like the Mii Fighters, each character has 12 special variations.
7:23
Michael "TYP" Cole: You can select amongst 3 moves for each special attack slot
7:23
Neal Ronaghan: Mario has a fireball, a fast fireball, and a fire orb. not usable in For Glory
7:24
Neal Ronaghan: Palutena is different. she has unique special attacks; not derivative
From the round table. Now we know how Palutena works. Though I don't understand how Palutena will work in For Glory if she can't modify her attacks at all.

kirblar

"Neal Ronaghan: Sakurai believe he gave players too much choice in Brawl online. seems to have misunderstood intent of question."

lol

Sakurai, please.
That actually is a real issue. You need to limit the number of buckets/options for online play, or else you splinter your playerbase too much and matches don't fire.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From the round table. Now we know how Palutena works. Though I don't understand how Palutena will work in For Glory if she can't modify her attacks at all.
Can you explain this variation/customization stuff?

It seems as clear as mud right now, trying to put the information we got at the Smash direct with this new information.

Kimosabae

Banned
Reading the thoughts of Sakurai is like placing earwigs under my eyelids and then taping them shut after an ambien overdose.

Okay, I've seen that interview before.

You created something you took pride in and it sold a fuckton.

I can't even... whatever man.

This might be my least favourite Roster from a Smash game (next to 64 because it was pretty small)

Glad Ike/Marth are in it though. Please give me Dr. Mario back :(

Can you explain this variation/customization stuff?

It seems as clear as mud right now, trying to put the information we got at the Smash direct with this new information.
I think it's just that you have your 4 specials:
Up
Down
Left/Right
Neutral

There are 3 options for each input. Example:
Mario can choose fast, laser-like fireballs for Neutral B.
He can choose his classic fireball for Neutral B.
Or he can choose a heavy, slow, multi-hit fireball for Neutral B.

Most of the characters have attack variations like this (slower/heavier, etc.), but instead Palutena has radically different attacks to choose from, like the pillar of light vs. explosive. So she won't be Dormammu-like, where she's choosing from a massive repertoire of attacks beforehand. She's just much more customizable than other characters. She still has 4 specials in-fight.

kirblar

Character customization:
http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

Edit: It looks like all characters can equip "gear", too, and this changes their gameplay. Check it out: you can equip items to boost speed. Maybe Smash 4 competitive will have all characters at maxed speed as the default for faster play.
I'm now very worried that this is going to screw the game over when this stuff isn't used in competitive play, because the game is built around letting you use it.

See : SFxT gems.

I'm now very worried that this is going to screw the game over when this stuff isn't used in competitive play, because the game is built around letting you use it.

See : SFxT gems.
I wouldn't say the game is built for this usage. All of this is disabled in "For Glory" mode and random online play.

Also, the Smash community clearly gives 0 shits about how Sakurai intends for the game to be played. :)

kirblar

I wouldn't say the game is built for this usage. All of this is disabled in "For Glory" mode and random online play.

Also, the Smash community clearly gives 0 shits about how Sakurai intends for the game to be played. :)
Yeah, but if you have to "slow down" the default speed to make the items worth it... its an issue.

kirblar

Where're you getting that implication from?
It's a design paradigm issue. When you're allowing this stuff in local play, it affects where you want to set the baseline at. SFxT definitely had this issue, and its why customization (beyond controlled options like Marvel or MKX) is a dangerous thing, because it encourages you to push those baselines down a notch so that people are encouraged to use these things to power themselves up in their games at home. Not trying to be Chicken Little, I just hope they're able to avoid that trap.

Rhapsody

Banned

Interesting. Hopefully she can easily change her moveset when selecting her or something instead of outside the character select screen.

I'd rather not do that over and over again.

mbpm1

8:02 Neal Ronaghan:
A competitive Smash player is trying to challenge Sakurai to see if he can win and help balance the game. Sakurai asked "have you ever made a game?"

not only hasn't he made a game, he's probably a shitty spider-man player too

Burned so hard I needed a Maximum Tomato to come back and post this.

Top Bottom