• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Village

Viper went from a character I really loved to one I complete loathe over the last few years.

I love viper.

Her japanese voice is so, bleh.
There are certain characters, please keep the english on.

I know ya'll wanna be cool guys with ya japanese voices, but pls.

If Smash 4, in its current state, became the face if the FGC, I would Live. Suicide. Repeat.
Quite an interesting time for Smash. Really a grass roots maintenance of Melee kept it popular despite Brawl. If Smash 4 ends up being being Brawl 2 will Melee players transfer if Smash 4 get's that esports treatment?

I love viper.

Her japanese voice is so, bleh.
There are certain characters, please keep the english on.

I know ya'll wanna be cool guys with ya japanese voices, but pls.

you have to beat arcade mode to unlock custom voice language on a character basis

aint nobody got time for that

hitsugi

It's not like she has changed really the last few years, but then again in majors she did drop off more. Probably will see a resurgence now with her buffs.

She just feels stale for me. Much like in MVC3, when a select few Zero players could do lightning loops it was neat to watch but now I'm just tired of it - same goes for Viper's stuff.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i wish VF let me make Akira speak American

and i want a button that makes Jacky's voice 10x louder than the rest of the game.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I was thinking.

What if they bring smash 4 to evo?

Edit: I forget Japanese Viper voice e-teir.

I said that when the coordinator said "We are talking with Nintendo about Smash and how to bring it." Its pretty obvious that a Smash build is gonna be there. The only reason Smash is even relevant today is because of its competitive community. If Sakurai can't recognize that, he doesn't deserve to be lead game designer.

If Smash 4, in its current state, became the face of the FGC, I would Live. Suicide. Repeat.

You and me kimo.

Adon still does this to 3/4ths of the cast.

Its frustrating.

kirblar

Well that's the impression I've gotten so far. Only reason I got back into Smash was cause of the documentary done on it. Plus Project M made me love Melee again (community effort).
The games sold a metric shit-ton without it being a major factor. The competitive community is tiny compared to the casual one. That's why if they have to pick "better for casual" or "better for competitive", casual will always win out. And that's the case for most games. It's just normally not a binary choice.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The games sold a metric shit-ton without it being a major factor. The competitive community is tiny compared to the casual one. That's why if they have to pick "better for casual" or "better for competitive", casual will always win out. And that's the case for most games. It's just normally not a binary choice.

Oh no, I completely agree with the fact that in the beginning Smash was really really popular, hell even Brawl was too. But I still feel the same way, "casual" players may pay the bills but its the "hardcore" audience that is going to support you in the long run.

K.Sabot

why didn't he press anything after those IAJK's though? They're -2 now.

Spaced correctly, push back allows most jabs to whiff.

Spaced incorrectly it isn't punishable and you are subject to the bs throw / uppercut mixup.

Also LK air jaguar is unchanged, and normal Jaguar kick / Air Jaguar kick mixup is still unreactable.

notworksafe

Corporations only care about "paying the bills". The hardcore audience for Smash is worth appealing to but in the end if they are upset they'll go back to their Gamecube game and won't be missed.

kirblar

Oh no, I completely agree with the fact that in the beginning Smash was really really popular, hell even Brawl was too. But I still feel the same way, "casual" players may pay the bills but its the "hardcore" audience that is going to support you in the long run.
But paying the bills is what supports you in the long run. ;)
Corporations only care about "paying the bills". The hardcore audience for Smash is worth appealing to but in the end if they are upset they'll go back to their Gamecube game and won't be missed.
Yup. And if that happens, good luck getting this level of attention for Smash 5.

Village

I said that when the coordinator said "We are talking with Nintendo about Smash and how to bring it." Its pretty obvious that a Smash build is gonna be there. The only reason Smash is even relevant today is because of its competitive community. If Sakurai can't recognize that, he doesn't deserve to be lead game designer.

Is because it has a cast more famous than any other fighting game and possibly cross over game in existence and is super easy to get into .

You know what would pay Nintendo's bills? Selling some Wii U's for a change. The competitive scene doesn't want to play this game on the 3DS as its mainstay. They want consoles. If this game even approaches Melee quality, many Wii U's will be sold, and that is a good thing. Casuals will enjoy their 3DS experience regardless.

Onemic

Spaced correctly, push back allows most jabs to whiff.

Spaced incorrectly it isn't punishable and you are subject to the bs throw / uppercut mixup.

Also LK air jaguar is unchanged, and normal Jaguar kick / Air Jaguar kick mixup is still unreactable.

ah, maybe I should pick up Adon again....

Wasn't TKONY supposed to start at 2? what's happening?

kirblar

You know what would pay Nintendo's bills? Selling some Wii U's for a change. The competitive scene doesn't want to play this game on the 3DS as its mainstay. They want consoles. If this game even approaches Melee quality, many Wii U's will be sold, and that is a good thing. Casuals will enjoy their 3DS experience regardless.
I'm going to end up buying a Wii U before a PS4. It'll be interesting to see how dramatically Smash + the 2015 games change things.

SmokeMaxX

Is because it has a cast more famous than any other fighting game and possibly cross over game in existence and is super easy to get into .

Competitive community goes a long way. That's why there's much more love for Melee than Brawl and even though Brawl sold far more than Melee, there are probably way more people playing the former rather than the latter. Street Fighter X Tekken has a more famous cast than Street Fighter IV and is easier to get into, but that does't make it more popular than SFIV. Not saying competitive community is everything, but if you want a game to cater to everyone, it has to actually cater to everyone.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

This. This over 9000 times.

Competitive community goes a long way. That's why there's much more love for Melee than Brawl and even though Brawl sold far more than Melee, there are probably way more people playing the former rather than the latter. Street Fighter X Tekken has a more famous cast than Street Fighter IV and is easier to get into, but that does't make it more popular than SFIV. Not saying competitive community is everything, but if you want a game to cater to everyone, it has to actually cater to everyone.

Brawl to my knowledge didn't sell "far more". It sold more, but the sales were on the same scale as Melee's - like about 8mil vs. 9mil or so. A lot of Brawl's sales were on Melee-generated hype, though, and given when it went on sale - during the pre-08 Wii period when there was basically no Wiis on the shelves, it should've sold more than that. Didn't end up doing it.

Infinite

Smash 4's competitive relevance won't even be necessary to achieve that.

Village

On niche websites neogaf, and in reality no one cares and just likes smash bros, and probably likes each smash bros more than the last. Because despite growing over the years the competitive smash community is still miniscule in the grand scheme of things. I am not saying I do not want a competitive community, i do . I'm just saying Nintendo gonna make bake if its there or not, its fucking smashbros. I can have Pac Man Punch Mario while He punches sonic and While sonic punches megaman. Competitive smash however could be a road to even more money though.

Perspective, there are characters in smash bros ,more popular than entire video game franchises.

There are probably more people who give a shit about a Pokemon character in smash bros than those who bought - insert fighting game here -

Top Bottom