• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Kalamari

I don't quite understand why there is so much dislike for Xrd. To me, it seems like a pretty solid game. Sure it's a little slower than +R and has some other features that make it a little bit easier to grasp, but I have had a lot of fun playing it. Granted, I am a scrub and still working through the mission mode, but from my perspective it's very well done. So why all the hate?

As far as main sticks for current gen are concerned, I would like to get a Jasen's Customs Panzer case and fit it with a pad hack. It looks like the ultimate weapon for fighting games.

Kimosabae

Banned
'Assassin's Theme' from Xrd is really good. Sounds like a track that somehow hit the cutting-room floor during X2. Def sounds more "Guilty Gear" than most of what's in that game.

TWILT

Banned
Because I'm a glutton for punishment and because a new Marvel game on mobile and new Marvel film came out; it's that time again...

Do1Jyen.jpg

Loki
Star Lord
Doc Ock
Green Goblin
Daredevil
Nero
Megaman X
Gene
Roll (TVC)
Jedah

This was pretty good, but the Beowulf, Parasoul and Eliza shenanigans completed it. MMDS is pretty good when he wants to beast. I forgot entirely about Fukua's overhead shadow nonsense and armored command grab. It is also amazing how fast her level 1 projectile super shoots and recovers. She is definitely not to be underestimated. No one can hit confirm from midstage as easily as her if she has a bar for BFF super.

Rhapsody

Banned
I might have to go back to using Nanase and Eltnum evenly again. Good frame traps and getting 3k-3.2k easily off of 2B? Too good.

El Sloth

Banned
I tried for a bit. She's definitely Eltnum mixed in with Nanase. I like Nanase's ability to zone with her fireball, but Linne being able to just straight up start pressure with hers is just way better. I should probably go back to her. Only used her briefly.
I see. Having that tool available from farther ranges is nice, but I feel like the startup on it is too long to be truly good. It is nice she can follow behind it like a sonic boom though. Yeah, I think Linne's mobility more than makes up for her lack of long range tools.
On that note, I'm wondering if people would be interested in a regular lobby like what we had last night. I don't know how many people would be interested or how long it would last, but let's try to do something next weekend and see what happens.

When in doubt, TK Kuuga! :barf: Linne is annoying as hell... but that's true for every good character in this game, really. Basically, Linne basically makes Nanase redundant in this game.
I'd be down for a weekend lobby. I'd personally prefer Sunday over Saturday, but I'm good for whatever is best for the most people.

Nanase exists to slowly eat away at one's psyche with her theme.

Anne

I don't quite understand why there is so much dislike for Xrd. To me, it seems like a pretty solid game. Sure it's a little slower than +R and has some other features that make it a little bit easier to grasp, but I have had a lot of fun playing it. Granted, I am a scrub and still working through the mission mode, but from my perspective it's very well done. So why all the hate?

Smaller roster that isn't super popular, hired Nickelback to work on the soundtrack, added YRC, brought back #R Eddie, etc.

It's not a bad game really, but it has "ASW 1st iteration" all over it. The fact it was hyped up as Gods Gift and it didn't deliver to people expecting that didn't help.

Also the dislike right now is really over the soundtrack lol which isn't bad /at all/, just has a lot to live up to.

Rhapsody

Banned
I see. Having that tool available from farther ranges is nice, but I feel like the startup on it is too long to be truly good. It is nice she can follow behind it like a sonic boom though. Yeah, I think Linne's mobility more than makes up for her lack of long range tools.

I'd be down for a weekend lobby. I'd personally prefer Sunday over Saturday, but I'm good for whatever is best for the most people.

Nanase exists to slowly eat away at one's psyche with her theme.

Yeah, Nanase fireballs are only effective in very few matchups. Seth, Akatsuki, Hyde, Chaos, and maybe one more or so. Every other matchup, you're not allowed to throw a fireball, or you're forced to throw one only at full screen. Throwing one at fullscreen means you basically surrendered in the GRD war. If A fireball didn't disappear so soon, it'd help her a tiny bit.

I like this character so much, but she falls in the category with Byakuya, Seth, Akatsuki, and Chaos where you're just going to run into that really bad matchup in tourney that shuts you down no matter what.

Crocodile

The way people have been talking (and I've noticed this before) it seems the character balance in UNEIL is pretty out of whack. Granted that doesn't matter for casual play but I'm curious as to if French Bread has mentioned anything about a balance patch/new version/etc.?

Anne

The way people have been talking (and I've noticed this before) it seems the character balance in UNEIL is pretty out of whack. Granted that doesn't matter for casual play but I'm curious as to if French Bread has mentioned anything about a balance patch/new version/etc.?

It's not that whack, people just dunno. Hyde is a low tier and he got 2nd at KSB. Just don't pick Akatsuki/Chaos, they suck, and Gord is S+ tier and dumb. Everything else is fine.

They have mentioned interest about doing a sequel in the future, but nothing else with this version.

Onemic

I feel like UNIEL is one of the few games where character balance is apparent at all levels.

Rhapsody

Banned

It's not that bad. I'd say 4 characters have it really rough against a portion of the cast. 5 if you want to include Byakuya (but he's fine imo, just sucks against Wald and Gord).

It's sort of like SF4 where the game can be really matchup heavy for the weaker characters. Characters like Dhalsim can do decently well, but you sometimes need to make magic happen against Yun and Rolento.

I don't think UNIEL's an unbalanced mess or anything like that.

Looks like there was drama between the marvel and ultra crowd at ksb.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sm2fu6

A lot of the JP ultra players were tweeting about the hate Ultra was receiving and Abegen shed some light on it. I think the organizers also had pressure to feature Ultra as Ayano was there in person. Not sure how they could have handled the situation better.

Anne

A lot of the JP ultra players were tweeting about the hate Ultra was receiving and Abegen shed some light on it. I think the organizers also had pressure to feature Ultra as Ayano was there in person. Not sure how they could have handled the situation better.

In the year 20XX, SF is the only main stage game, everything else is unstreamed side events.

Smaller roster that isn't super popular, hired Nickelback to work on the soundtrack, added YRC, brought back #R Eddie, etc.

It's not a bad game really, but it has "ASW 1st iteration" all over it. The fact it was hyped up as Gods Gift and it didn't deliver to people expecting that didn't help.

Also the dislike right now is really over the soundtrack lol which isn't bad /at all/, just has a lot to live up to.

ewwww. I think the game's good. It may not have been the best guilty gear that they couldve made, but I think they did a good job.

Well I finally got around to buying UNIEL today as I found a $15 gamestop coupon I had (Only took me 8 months). I've had my eye on Merkava and Waldstein following development of the game into it's arcade release. Does anyone have any recommendations on playing with them/top players I should take note of? Hope to get some time in with the game this weekend.

Dahbomb

That sucks, looks like we missed a lot of good shit.

Zissou wanna shed some light on this? I hope these Japanese players make it out to EVO though, they seem passionate about the game.

Rhapsody

Banned
I wish I could've seen some of that Tron play. Curious on the team used. Ever since Ultimate, I haven't found a Tron team I'm satisfied with.

NEO0MJ

I wish I could've seen some of that Tron play. Curious on the team used. Ever since Ultimate, I haven't found a Tron team I'm satisfied with.

It probably only worked because the Japanese marvel scene isn't as developed as the US one and so couldn't be countered as easily.

Dahbomb

RF is the MorriDoom player who actually went toe to toe with some of the best in US including FChamp. His Vergil Missiles play is no joke.

And ChrisG just lost to Hulk/Haggar in a major so the Japanese Marvel scene isn't all that underdeveloped.

Seyavesh

64 man bracket put front and center over a 200+ man bracket? really?
geez what a joke

i missed out on RF's morridoom losing to spiderman and tron somehow and point shuma doin' work due to that small of a usf4 tournament (that i ignored for hnk)??

boo hiss etc.

edit: also yes RF is like easily chrisg tier morridoom

According to Abegen:

-No room for casuals
-Only top 3 was on stage and on projector; not streamed at all?
-2/3 while Ultra was 3/5 for top 8 only

Did Ultra have room for casuals? If Ultra didn't, then they can't claim favoritism towards Ultra. You have to blame the TOs for taking on Ultra and that being the reason why Marvel didn't have room for casual stations. If there were casual set ups for Ultra, but not Marvel then that sucks.

Not sure why Marvel couldn't be streamed. I'm sure Marvel was supposed to be streamed by Gods Garden and all the games were supposed to have their individual stream. I don't think they can claim favoritism for Ultra. On the other hand, Marvel should have had more of their matches on the projector because there were more marvel heads there.

Ultra being 3/5 for top 8 didn't turn out to be that big of a deal. They didn't stream 3 of the 11 matches, and only 2 of the matches went to 5 games. 3 matches were 3-0 and the other 3 were 3-1s. So if they had went with a 2/3 top 8 they only would have saved about 10 minutes.

We need more info.

fader

64 man bracket put front and center over a 200+ man bracket? really?
geez what a joke

i missed out on RF's morridoom losing to spiderman and tron somehow and point shuma doin' work due to that small of a usf4 tournament (that i ignored for hnk)??

boo hiss etc.

edit: also yes RF is like easily chrisg tier morridoom

Top game privilege. Zhi bragged about it all stream last night

NEO0MJ

RF is the MorriDoom player who actually went toe to toe with some of the best in US including FChamp. His Vergil Missiles play is no joke.

And ChrisG just lost to Hulk/Haggar in a major so the Japanese Marvel scene isn't all that underdeveloped.

Oh yeah, you're right.

Dahbomb

I feel like I am in bizarro land where Marvel is pulling in 200 entrants in Japan in the year 2015 and that there are complaints that it got unfair treatment compared to SF...

So many wuts in this story.

In any case the crazy results make sense if it was 2/3 all the way through.

fader

I feel like I am in bizarro land where Marvel is pulling in 200 entrants in Japan in the year 2015 and that there are complaints that it got unfair treatment compared to SF...

So many wuts in this story.

In any case the crazy results make sense if it was 2/3 all the way through.

yea I was taking aback with 200 entrants in japan too.

alstein

Beginner/Mid play is max length combos
High level play is resets

First group hasn't been given the fear of god yet thanks to how much meter your opponent will get from long combos.

The reset game in SG seems a bit unfair, since you can get reset from multiple points, and plenty of 3+ way mixups that you're likely not going to be able to block on the first attempt. Easy to not get a real chance to play

Yeah it's usually marvel getting preferential treatment over other fighting games despite lackluster entrants. Silly Japan is backwards.

No worries. I'm sure Evo will make up for it.

Zissou

That sucks, looks like we missed a lot of good shit.

Zissou wanna shed some light on this? I hope these Japanese players make it out to EVO though, they seem passionate about the game.

Marvel got sidelined even though it's ostensibly the main game of KVO in terms of terms of numbers of players and in terms of focus (having both the team tournament AND singles). The venue for the singles tournament was the same as last year so the difference was pretty striking- last year had way more time and set-ups for casuals and this year had essentially none. Last year marvel was being projecting the big screen with house mic commentary and it was easy to see from everywhere so when you weren't playing tourney matches/casuals, you could watch. This year, the main screen was SF the entire time and to watch marvel you had to crowd around monitors and crane your neck in order to watch any matches at all (before top 3). Despite that, tons of marvel people crammed into the area just to see and cheer for the remaining players once pools were over and there was tons of excellent stuff- a high level point Strider player, a ridiculous point Shuma player, etc., and while we were going nuts, at best, you can hope for phone cam footage. It's pretty obvious they got the offer to be part of the pro tour, said 'fuck it' and threw everybody else under the bus.

From a friend ;)

#slain

I don't quite understand why there is so much dislike for Xrd. To me, it seems like a pretty solid game. Sure it's a little slower than +R and has some other features that make it a little bit easier to grasp, but I have had a lot of fun playing it.

I have a ton of fun playing it. All the "hate" on the last couple pages was just people being disappointed with the soundtrack, which does its job as background music but fails to rock the same way UNIEL's and KOF13's does, for example.

Marvel got sidelined even though it's ostensibly the main game of KVO in terms of terms of numbers of players and in terms of focus (having both the team tournament AND singles). The venue for the singles tournament was the same as last year so the difference was pretty striking- last year had way more time and set-ups for casuals and this year had essentially none. Last year marvel was being projecting the big screen with house mic commentary and it was easy to see from everywhere so when you weren't playing tourney matches/casuals, you could watch. This year, the main screen was SF the entire time and to watch marvel you had to crowd around monitors and crane your neck in order to watch any matches at all (before top 3). Despite that, tons of marvel people crammed into the area just to see and cheer for the remaining players once pools were over and there was tons of excellent stuff- a high level point Strider player, a ridiculous point Shuma player, etc., and while we were going nuts, at best, you can hope for phone cam footage. It's pretty obvious they got the offer to be part of the pro tour, said 'fuck it' and threw everybody else under the bus.

o_O'

Seyavesh

It's pretty obvious they got the offer to be part of the pro tour, said 'fuck it' and threw everybody else under the bus.

capcom cup's lineup got announced near the end of february too, meaning that it was pretty much a last minute addition

something something e-sports

Zissou

yea I was taking aback with 200 entrants in japan too.

KVO is a marvel tourney first and foremost. It's the biggest one in Japan and there were qualifiers in Sapporo, Okinawa, etc. as well as online tourneys throughout the year to get seeded and such. People traveled from all over the place to attend. The thing that sucks is it's the biggest gathering of the best marvel talent Japan has and nobody could play casuals with anybody. Street fighter players here have access high level comp whenever they want- there's THE Osaka arcade from SF like a 5 min walk away from the KVO venue for fuck's sake.

Texas Showdown Pools are out.

Pools 1-8 have Justin, Infiltration, Nuckledu, Snake, Ricky, KFraud, Chris G, and 801 Strider.

Pools 9-16 have Hsien Chang, Valle, Air, Tampa Bison, Chaotix, 4wude, cubano loco, MLSwear, Hamad

KVO is a marvel tourney first and foremost. It's the biggest one in Japan and there were qualifiers in Sapporo, Okinawa, etc. as well as online tourneys throughout the year to get seeded and such. People traveled from all over the place to attend. The thing that sucks is it's the biggest gathering of the best marvel talent Japan has and nobody could play casuals with anybody. Street fighter players here have access high level comp whenever they want- there's THE Osaka arcade from SF like a 5 min walk away from the KVO venue for fuck's sake.

Did SF have casual set ups?

Top Bottom