• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

I feel like I am in bizarro land where Marvel is pulling in 200 entrants in Japan in the year 2015 and that there are complaints that it got unfair treatment compared to SF...

So many wuts in this story.

In any case the crazy results make sense if it was 2/3 all the way through.
I share your perspective.

Laconic

Banned
Xrd isn't all bad, The Spider's Thread(Millia vs Zato) and When Life Comes are pretty good.

I just wish they hadn't further torn apart and re-meshed Ky's and Millia's themes.

I do not think it gets any better than XX's Writhe in Pain.

I still love the full OST, though - despite The Lily of Steel being lesser.

...I even start back days, in the gym, with "Heavy Day".

Seyavesh

elf, leo and zato's themes are pretty cool but they're all attached to characters i loathe fighting

elf probably has my favorite theme but also i hate her so rip

also the dumb vocal songs are great
i wish i could use any of them as the actual fight theme and force my opponent to listen to big blast sonic for several hours

Sayad

A 3f attack is an attack that hits on the 3rd frame. With +4, a 3f atk can hit on the 3rd or 4th frame so its a 2f link.

Pretty sure that's right, haven't played SF4 in forever.
It's right in every game, except MKX.

I just wanted to start off saying ignore the mountain of bullshit that would prevent this from happening.

That being said, a Marvel game with the EXVS/ROI engine

Zissou

Ultra on projector w/ nobody givin' a fuck

aintnobodywatchingultqvuev.jpg

fader

oh yea, and on the topic of Xrd music I've complainined about since before it's console release.
The soundtracks are so generic 80's rock especially coming off of Midnight Carnival with the creative uses of instruments in that soundtrack. Only track I really like in Xrd that stands out is Blank Black Blah Blah Blah.

Anne

Well I finally got around to buying UNIEL today as I found a $15 gamestop coupon I had (Only took me 8 months). I've had my eye on Merkava and Waldstein following development of the game into it's arcade release. Does anyone have any recommendations on playing with them/top players I should take note of? Hope to get some time in with the game this weekend.

Well, if you're into Merkava talk to me. In NA, there aren't Merkavas who are active in tournaments who utilize the full character. Clim is okay but he is lacking in character knowledge and most of his play is based off fighting other North Americans, so you'll miss out some stuff. I can't think of another Merkava who even plays the game that goes to tournaments. The two potential best Merkavas were from NE, but that game is really not played on the East side of NA.

As far as JP Merkavas go, TatsueE was the god, nearly perfect Merkava stuff, but he stopped playing as much recently and just picks low tiers and messes around when you see him usually. Crow has a lot of good combos and setups and tech to steal from, but his fundamentals are poop.

Here's a quick video over BnB combo routes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvYNOQuCTg I never bothered editing it so it never got attention, but it's there.

Here's the flight oki tutorial we made look kind of pretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61gDE72U-tI

Just ask questions and I got you.

For Wald Idk about resources, in NA I know Shine is good with him, and in Japan there's a couple top Walds, but Fusemaster is a general UNiEL master and is the #1 Wald.

Beckx

I just wanted to start off saying ignore the mountain of bullshit that would prevent this from happening.

That being said, a Marvel game with the EXVS/ROI engine

You can cut out the mountain of bullshit by not having it be the EXVS engine, but rather something new that operates on similar principles (vertical gameplay, resource management, positioning, map control). Unfortunately it seems 3D arena combat games (that aren't FPS/TPS) are too unconventional for much experimentation to happen...heck even FPS arena shooters are p. rare. (That reminds me, I need to get on getting the new UT on my PC.)

Well, if you're into Merkava talk to me. In NA, there aren't Merkavas who are active in tournaments who utilize the full character. Clim is okay but he is lacking in character knowledge and most of his play is based off fighting other North Americans, so you'll miss out some stuff. I can't think of another Merkava who even plays the game that goes to tournaments. The two potential best Merkavas were from NE, but that game is really not played on the East side of NA.

As far as JP Merkavas go, TatsueE was the god, nearly perfect Merkava stuff, but he stopped playing as much recently and just picks low tiers and messes around when you see him usually. Crow has a lot of good combos and setups and tech to steal from, but his fundamentals are poop.

Here's a quick video over BnB combo routes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvYNOQuCTg I never bothered editing it so it never got attention, but it's there.

Here's the flight oki tutorial we made look kind of pretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61gDE72U-tI

Just ask questions and I got you.

For Wald Idk about resources, in NA I know Shine is good with him, and in Japan there's a couple top Walds, but Fusemaster is a general UNiEL master and is the #1 Wald.

Thanks for the help. I'll watch these videos and mess around with him and ask any questions I might have.

jerry1594

Texas Showdown Pools are out.

Pools 1-8 have Justin, Infiltration, Nuckledu, Snake, Ricky, KFraud, Chris G, and 801 Strider.

Pools 9-16 have Hsien Chang, Valle, Air, Tampa Bison, Chaotix, 4wude, cubano loco, MLSwear, Hamad

Did SF have casual set ups?
Whoa, Hsien Chang still plays video games?

petghost

Banned
Online only

Someone explain this to me pls

Say an attack is +4 on hit, I use a 3f normal to combo afterwards and it's a 1f link right? I use a 4f normal that also combos and it's still a.. 1f link?

Or is the 3f normal = a 2f link?

Sf players strangely count the first active frame when describing start up.

Sf players strangely count the first active frame when describing start up.

Tekken players do it too. It makes talking about punishment easier. If something is -10 you use a 10f move to punish. But yeah, that's really 9 startup and 1 active.

I vaguely remember that making for some confusion when the DoA5 training mode listed just startup and not startup+1.

Who was the guy here that was into competitive Dissidia? Beef?
Kinda feel like watching some videos for fun and is there a forum dedicated to competitive dissidia?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You guys all get my love for wanting BoF2 Nina.

:D

Breath of Fire is one of my favorite franchise so I would like to see any playable character from BOF being in Versus games.

I have a feeling that Breath of Fire would have a high chance to be in when it come down to Nintendo Vs Capcom since I'm pretty sure that most of roster would be focus on who has been appeared on Nintendo consoles.

RF is the MorriDoom player who actually went toe to toe with some of the best in US including FChamp. His Vergil Missiles play is no joke.

And ChrisG just lost to Hulk/Haggar in a major so the Japanese Marvel scene isn't all that underdeveloped.

Hulk/Haggar, I really want to see that video

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can cut out the mountain of bullshit by not having it be the EXVS engine, but rather something new that operates on similar principles (vertical gameplay, resource management, positioning, map control). Unfortunately it seems 3D arena combat games (that aren't FPS/TPS) are too unconventional for much experimentation to happen...heck even FPS arena shooters are p. rare. (That reminds me, I need to get on getting the new UT on my PC.)
Definitely agree with you here.

Also when's full boost ;_;

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
KI beats out Marvel at Combo Breaker? I'm using KI cause the others are really popular but I didn't think the sign ups for KI would be higher than Marvel. Oh my days...

I feel like I am in bizarro land where Marvel is pulling in 200 entrants in Japan in the year 2015 and that there are complaints that it got unfair treatment compared to SF...

So many wuts in this story.

In any case the crazy results make sense if it was 2/3 all the way through.

Marvel's still pretty popular in Japan, not as big as it first started but it has its ravenous fanbase as it does here in America. I find it kind of wrong how SF got the preferential treatment if it is true SF got casuals stations and streaming while Marvel got the middle finger on that, plus no 3/5? Come on Japan. Weren't you there for KVO Zissou? Do you mind explaining your perspective on the tournament or anything you know?

It was hilarious, KaneBlueRiver just went in on Chris and did gamma charges at the right time for some happy birthday's on Chris.

Shouta

Saturday Night is a great time slot, tbh. If you can do a 1 day tournament, it's to the benefit of the players since they can just kick it the next day. It's especially true if you have a lot of out of state folks. It gives them a chance to enjoy the area. That free day goes a long way to enjoying a trip to an event.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Check out my earlier posts, haha. Short version- marvel focused tourney adds ultra last minute for pro tour sponsorship and fucks over marvel pissing off a majority of the people at the venue.

That's fucked up, really fucked up. Thanks a lot whoever re-scheduled this and gave Capcom preferential treatment even though Marvel was planned out ahead of time.
Sadly sponsorships make things move ;_;

Shouta

:D

Breath of Fire is one of my favorite franchise so I would like to see any playable character from BOF being in Versus games.

I have a feeling that Breath of Fire would have a high chance to be in when it come down to Nintendo Vs Capcom since I'm pretty sure that most of roster would be focus on who has been appeared on Nintendo consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwF6QYFkJ0E

From Northwest Majors 7.

Dahbomb

That's fucked up, really fucked up. Thanks a lot whoever re-scheduled this and gave Capcom preferential treatment even though Marvel was planned out ahead of time.
Sadly sponsorships make things move ;_;
Hardly surprising, money hats and constant updates talk.

Busaiku

Street Fighter not being the last game means I can finally watch the finals.
Who're the notables that're going?

In a perfect world the EXVS team would have gotten contracted to make a Marvel [insert EXVS subgenre] instead of ROI happening. Especially with Civil War coming up in the MCU, having Iron Man beating up on Caps actually would have storyline justification, plus we have the EXVS pedigree to work with.

In the actual world we get some smartphone game made by a podunk studio for hire

Also I hope the Saturday night main stage finals turns out well for Combo Breaker so the model can be used for other tourneys. Especially with how being an "EVO game" positively affects attendance at other tournaments, and trying to fit X games on Sunday is so difficult.

Shouta

the Main SCR looks to be in October now.

And yeah, Saturday night is awesome for tournaments that can do it. Tekken at NWM was great. =o

Tripon

Good thing that Valle called his event SCR, because Ontario is about 30 minutes to 1 hour away from Anaheim depending on traffic.

SCR now being one of the last ranking events will get people who fiending for points showing up....

Top Bottom