• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

pixelish

Hey all,

I'm Esteban from Hold Back to Block, a Youtube channel with all sorts of content including interviews, match footage, and more. I'm also working on an FGC documentary that was kickstarted last winter.

I was just approved of a GAF account and figured I'd stop in to say hi. I'll try too keep active on the boards as I do lurk often. Nice to meet you all!
hi esteban, i just wanna say i am a huge fan of your work especially the player interviews. all the best with the documentary. i'm sure it will turn out great.

B_Raw

Neo Member
yeah that's high but they set the precedent with BB and I guess enough folks were willing to pay that for them to justify it again

Yeah, it's weird to think that Capcom's character DLC model is actually quite affordable in comparison to ASW's.

El Sloth

Banned
New Guilty Gear gun girl sounds exactly like my sort of character. Description reminds me of what Juju (RIP) from Skullgirls was supposed to play like.

OceanBlue

New Guilty Gear gun girl sounds exactly like my sort of character. Description reminds me of what Juju (RIP) from Skullgirls was supposed to play like.

It's hard for me to be excited for characters you don't really know much about. I feel the same about Sin even though we have a few screenshots out for him already. I want to see what her moves look like.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's hard for me to be excited for characters you don't really know much about. I feel the same about Sin even though we have a few screenshots out for him already. I want to see what her moves look like.
The new character is voiced by the same that voiced Mako in KLK.

Plenty enough to get excited for me.

Hey all,

I'm Esteban from Hold Back to Block, a Youtube channel with all sorts of content including interviews, match footage, and more. I'm also working on an FGC documentary that was kickstarted last winter.

I was just approved of a GAF account and figured I'd stop in to say hi. I'll try too keep active on the boards as I do lurk often. Nice to meet you all!

Kickstarted your project, I'm excited to see how it turns out. I loved stuff like I Got Next and Focus, so I'm really hype to see your finished project.

And welcome!

El Sloth

Banned
Sure I totally see what you're saying, but I don't think it's unreasonable to get a rough idea of what her gameplan might look like with just this:

Siliconera said:
Elfeldt is a gunner who fights using both rifles and shotguns. She can snipe to deal damage from a long distance and also has some sort of powerful potshot attack.

She also has some unique characteristics that will let you aim while and reload. Arc System Works feel that players will get to enjoy FPS-like controls while playing as her.

Long range tools with rifles and close-range space control with a shotgun. Enough for me to get interested!

The reload thing makes me think she might have an active reload thingy like Eltnum in UNiEL does to power up her next shots. I have no clue what "FPS-like controls" mean, but it's intriguing the shit outta me.

gutabo

Hey all,

Welcome! Are you The Esteban from the Brian Gramo story? BTW I'm trying to fing the video where he tells the esteban story and I can't find it :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BrokenTier is having another roundtable tonight at 6PM PST / 9PM EDT:
Back for a fourth session, we sit down with Team Brokentier and discuss the hottest topics in the FGC. This week we're going to talk about all the blow-ups that occurred over the weekend, the amount of times attacks were blocked during USF4 finals, and Flux's first major win.

Not really. The limited time freeness lets me buy the new Persona Arena whenever I want, which is definitely not Day 1, but get the DLC character they're giving away for free for the first week, for free. If the freeness was limited to first shipments, I'd have to pony up for the character or buy the game before I wanted to.

There are also only so many physical copies, whereas there's no limit to who can get in on the free DLC for digital.

And then of course, being pushed to go physical is annoying.

Ideally, characters would be free, but in a 2D game it's understandable why they aren't. If they're going to cost, I'm not seeing what's so bad about this particular model.
Issue here is IIRC you cannot purchase content on PSN unless your account is already linked to a console. So say I want to purchase a PS4 + Xrd down the line, but maybe not at release, something not uncommon at all during this console transition, I'm locked out. Like I mentioned before, if your objective is to discourage second hand sales, providing bonus content for new purchases is handled better and all bases are covered by including a key in physical copies or packaging the digital version with that content. Alternatively, ASW chose to manipulate the market probably because of Lostconfused's reason, and they don't expect the game to have legs. Can't rock with one pump publishers in 2014 that have that sort of outlook on game longevity.

Seyavesh

the difference between gg's 'classic anime' design and bb's modern anime design is that the classic anime stuff draws inspiration from other mediums and cultures for inspiration

see the huge cyberpunk trend of the 80s and 90s passing over to japan also. gg's characters are a combination of heavy metal tropes and 90s/80s anime tropes so there's more inspiration being drawn from different sources to create more aesthetically interesting characters ultimately

blazblue's designs are exclusively based off stereotypes based off the same medium (anime) which has been taking tropes from itself for the past decade or two so it's compounded onto itself in terms of stereotypical design that doesn't offer much interesting characterization beyond whatever slight alteration of a trope they have

this rule generally applies to western comic book shit too- nobody remembers the giant minefield of garbage liefield characters because they all suffer the same issue of drawing design inspiration almost exclusively from their own medium with ~a twist~, leading to really poor designs

overdesigned is a real way to describe some stuff but the line is different for people. generally it refers to either being too 'pandering' in the sense that one can effectively tell that the character was designed only with that audience in mind alongside having a design that is visually noisy to the point of bothering the viewer.

there's also 'design by committee' which is usually also subbed in for 'overdesigned' and that's usually referring to the pandering aspect alongside an interesting design that has either been watered down to blandness or just an overall bland design that only does the bare minimum to pander to an overall audience. an easy example of this is the new robocop, though it's arguable that the design evoking that is actually on purpose from a critical perspective.

OceanBlue

Sure I totally see what you're saying, but I don't think it's unreasonable to get a rough idea of what her gameplan might look like with just this:

Long range tools with rifles and close-range space control with a shotgun. Enough for me to get interested!

The reload thing makes me think she might have an active reload thingy like Eltnum in UNiEL does to power up her next shots. I have no clue what "FPS-like controls" mean, but it's intriguing the shit outta me.

Lol, maybe I don't get it because I don't play GG. Oh well, I hope she's a character that gets long-range conversions like Nu rather than a character like Noel or Eltnum.

Seyavesh

this argument is flawed as fuck and that person is dumb as fuck

there is nothing stopping the people who dislike that design from also disliking all the designs and aspects of characters that pander to that same audience of anime children lovers

may is distinctly a different trope from bridget too, who is more in line with the new character in terms of design goals

Kikirin

Having manual control over where she aims (e.g., using up/down to adjust the angle rather than having fixed projectile angles) could be neat. I'm not sure how doing that while moving would work with just one stick + buttons though. Maybe command movement options, where using joystick during it affects the aim?

El Sloth

Banned
Lol, maybe I don't get it because I don't play GG. Oh well, I hope she's a character that gets long-range conversions like Nu rather than a character like Noel or Eltnum.
I've never played GG either! I'm just making guesses and using my imagination!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

there is nothing stopping the people who dislike that design from also disliking all the designs and aspects of characters that pander to that same audience of anime children lovers

may is distinctly a different trope from bridget too, who is more in line with the new character in terms of design goals
Gahaha are you being serious

OceanBlue

Having manual control over where she aims (e.g., using up/down to adjust the angle rather than having fixed projectile angles) could be neat. I'm not sure how doing that while moving would work with just one stick + buttons though. Maybe command movement options, where using joystick during it affects the aim?

It could be similar to how Hisui's projectile throw works (aka you can input a direction during the move's startup to control which projectiles come out).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

How does any aspect of this girl's design "pander to anime children lovers"?

I love Enzo's avatar. Being greeted by Samus was not expected here of all places.
$8 per character is pretty steep IMO.

I'm not really a fan of how Arcsys handles DLC.
Me neither

I just decided to skip all their DLC since it doesn't seem to get sales and they don't do digital upgrades historically. DLC for separate discs is just annoying when it's one fighting game series. Kokonoe will probably be ass in the next game... oh well.

Mr. X

I didn't even notice the hate for her existing, only the why her instead some old character (zzzzz to those people).

Seyavesh

Gahaha are you being serious

brother i am always dead serious. fight me in word-based combat so we can determine who is right and just

How does any aspect of this girl's design "pander to anime children lovers"?

not talkin' about the new character, the tweet references bridget and the crew of johnny's ship whom are all designed that way. i would go as far to say that dizzy is also designed that way too but the tweet didn't mention that either

bridget and the new char share the same design goal of hitting an anime trope that is built upon itself, sorry if i didn't clarify

note that i have no real hatred of the new character in the slightest, i just want folks to discuss what they see to me 'cuz i don't really see on the same level

Infinite

you cant be real right now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Did any new version of SSF4 ever update the trials?

I ran into James last night randomly. I offered to buy him a drink, but he said that he doesn't drink much and that you'd be more of the one to take me up on that offer. So here's to you, UD! *cheers*

He seemed surprised that so many random strangers recognize him nowadays.

heh awesome! are you in hawaii then? i hope he seemed like he was having a good time. and yeah he doesn't drink much, tbh i don't drink much nowadays either but i can still put a few back now and then. cheers to you too!

El Sloth

Banned
That does sound cool. I like the idea of being able to shoot and aim during command run/dash move.

Oh! what about a command special that put you into an "aim state" where two buttons become "aim up/down" and a third becomes "shoot"? Sounds a bit needlessly complex and not very "FPS-like" however.

...We're probably getting too ahead of ourselves with this little info to go on lol.

jbug617

Banned
New BT design I like it.

BwjUeIDIMAEwKd0.jpg

http://www.brokentier.com/products/despair-logo

mbpm1

That does sound cool. I like the idea of being able to shoot and aim during command run/dash move.

Oh! what about a command special that put you into an "aim state" where two buttons become "aim up/down" and a third becomes "shoot"? Sounds a bit needlessly complex and not very "FPS-like" however.

...We're probably getting too ahead of ourselves with this little info to go on lol.
Not getting into the character design argument, but the site said something about sniping.

It really could be halfway interesting if she actually did more damage if the player could aim and hit the opponent in the head. Or if hitting people in different places had different effects, Fallout style.

But that would be hard to really put in.

Coda

I really like a lot of BrokenTier shirts but they're honestly quite uncomfortable. I hate the way new thick t-shirts feel. I wish they would print more on soft comfy shirts.

Koogy

Neo Member
I really like a lot of BrokenTier shirts but they're honestly quite uncomfortable. I hate the way new thick t-shirts feel. I wish they would print more on soft comfy shirts.

sorry to hear that, what shirt do you have? we've used the same shirts since launch back in 2010.

Coda

sorry to hear that, what shirt do you have? we've used the same shirts since launch back in 2010.

I have one of the red AHVB shirts. It's nothing crazy, plenty of t-shirts have this problem. I guess I fit in a weird camp in-between Small and Medium too so that doesn't help.

There's a certain feeling with heavier tighter shirts that's hard to describe. Your shirt designs on more worn out t-shirts would be godlike. I'd def buy more if you guys offered a softer shirt.

thanks for posting about it! totally love danganronpa and hope others like it enough for me to keep making weird random game shirts.

Really wanna get this shirt, and might do so if I can swing the budget. You make some of the best shirts by far, especially FGC/video game related ones

Top Bottom