• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

Zissou

You anime hating Gg fans are a trip lol

Anime is cool. There's tons of art that has come out of Japan that's great. There's no reason 'anime' fighting games have to exclusively use the garbage character design the plagues modern anime.

Zissou

There are a million anime/manga properties whose art-style they could ape and make an awesome-looking fighter. GiTS, Akira, Vagabond, Matsumoto Taiyo's stuff (Tekkonkinkreet, No.5... damn that would be dope!)....

Dahbomb

I still await the arrival of my Ninja Scroll fighting game.

Or D or Guts as a guest character in SC6.
Not sure why you even need Gutts guest character in SC.

I have always made an in-game character using Gutts as the basis. I use Siegfried or Nightmare as the base moveset. It actually comes out to play very close to what you would expect Gutts to play and look like in a fighting game.

I have even made a Griffith model using Rafael's moveset.

http://youtu.be/7LjGj-4ecGE

Not my video of course.

That's weird. WNF is bringing back MK9 this week.

MK9 is still popular in Socal. They have a small scene that still plays(not just at majors like most of us).

Injustice at WNF used to be big and it produced some of the best players but after EVO a lot of players lost passion/got sick of fighting Aquaman and haven't been playing. It's a shame.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anime is cool. There's tons of art that has come out of Japan that's great. There's no reason 'anime' fighting games have to exclusively use the garbage character design the plagues modern anime.

It's just funny to see the extent that people go to express their distaste for it.

Kumubou

There's a lot of inspirations that would lead to better designs... but I think it would negatively impact their business, as you would lose sales from the otaku market who prefers that more modern, moe look... and who else is buying in this day and age???

Have you seen some of the promo items for BB? Yikes.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There's a lot of inspirations that would lead to better designs... but I think it would negatively impact their business, as you would lose sales from the otaku market who prefers that more modern, moe look... and who else is buying in this day and age???

I'd rather not remember them.

Though I gotta admit some of Daisuke's art is just about as guilty.

Zissou

It's just funny to see the extent that people go to express their distaste for it.

My reasons for expressing my distaste-
1) I don't like that sort of design, so I find it hard to get into the game even if its mechanically appealing.
2) I know that sort of art-style appeals to a niche. Yeah, it might get the dev some guaranteed money from the animaaaaaay crowd, but it limits the potential broad appeal of the game. The better a game does, the more active its competitive scene is and the more exposure the fighting game genre gets as a whole.

They get the otaku dollar, but I feel like that's all they'll ever get unless they take risk.

Dahbomb

GG has both its share of good and bad designs.

This new character design is leaning towards the bad side. I do like the game play angle but speaking strictly in terms of visual design this is not something I need more of in games.

Also trying to justify bad character designs because of "it pays the bills ie. otaku appeal" is pretty awful. Not that anyone is bringing that up here but I have heard that shit before and its cringeworthy.

Also trying to justify bad character designs because of "it pays the bills ie. otaku appeal" is pretty awful. Not that anyone is bringing that up here but I have heard that shit before and its cringeworthy.

It's simply a fact. More than one waifu fighting game being on the market seems to indicate that it's at least a somewhat viable business model.

Edit: Well, it's at least making money and work for someone. What with how Japan rolls with character goods, licensing, production committees and so on.

Infinite

Justification =! Explanation.

It's also like a pretty clear fact at this point.

Nyoro SF

I know it's a fact that waifu/loli design = money. That doesn't mean we have to be ok with it.

Indeed.

At the most, all I can do is express my regret. I can empathize a little for trying to sell to a more modern crowd, but I can't forgive sacrificing the individuality of a series to do so. That attitude from publishers and developers has burned a lot of games.

Kumubou

I know it's a fact that waifu/loli design = money. That doesn't mean we have to be ok with it.
You don't have to be OK with it (and you're getting this from someone who plays Arcana Heart :x)... but the only other path to take is to make something that would do well internationally, and I think most Japanese companies no longer have any idea how to do that. That and some of them are starting to realize that there is a rather significant market for the moeblob crap out west (if only by sheer size), so it makes it an even safer option from them.

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
Western Heretic is back oh it's true
I ain't even mad at you, yes you
the one that snitch
at the end of the day I'm still me, Deckard Cain? Still a bitch
But I'm past that, for real did Flux win a major?
Oh shit I need to stop being a Flux hater
NAH yo Flux you STILL SUCK
He got all of lady luck
But at the end of the day ... NO ONE GIVES A FUCK

Not sure why you even need Gutts guest character in SC.

I have always made an in-game character using Gutts as the basis. I use Siegfried or Nightmare as the base moveset. It actually comes out to play very close to what you would expect Gutts to play and look like in a fighting game.

I have even made a Griffith model using Rafael's moveset.

http://youtu.be/7LjGj-4ecGE

Not my video of course.

I don't want this bootleg shit, lol.

I need it official, with official art. And it would create a slight .01% chance they would do a full Berserk fighting game.

tangent: Parts of me wish SC5's customs would die in a fire. Or least not have everybody's stuff fall off to their undergarments, just have damage done to clothing, and get rid of the dumb wings and glowing stuff. You too Tekken.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Waifu/loli culture is just.. creepy. The creepiness transfers into games as well. I know you can pick tens of offensive trends or pervasive aesthetics in any game or media at large to criticize but lolis seem to compound like 5 of those in one. But hey, if people buy it and like it, what the hell, at least they're not buying crack cocaine simulators.

I also know a lot of people really don't take it that seriously, but I keep getting a feeling that at least part of them does.

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck

welcome back WH.

goodbye WH.

Dahbomb

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck
LMAO godlike return post. And Flux didn't win a major he won a regional.

Too bad Deckard is not here anymore...

RocBase

There are a million anime/manga properties whose art-style they could ape and make an awesome-looking fighter. GiTS, Akira, Vagabond, Matsumoto Taiyo's stuff (Tekkonkinkreet, No.5... damn that would be dope!)....

My reasons for expressing my distaste-
1) I don't like that sort of design, so I find it hard to get into the game even if its mechanically appealing.
2) I know that sort of art-style appeals to a niche. Yeah, it might get the dev some guaranteed money from the animaaaaaay crowd, but it limits the potential broad appeal of the game. The better a game does, the more active its competitive scene is and the more exposure the fighting game genre gets as a whole.

kinda silly to quote all your posts but i just wanted to say that i 100% agree with all of them.

one thing which i wish gaf would do, and i say this as a general remark, is just bump heads together and sort out some sort of mutual decision on what in the world the term "anime" even means. the most striking thing i take out of these shitflingings is how both parties tend to be arguing with different meanings of the word in mind.

Waifu/loli culture is just.. creepy. The creepiness transfers into games as well. I know you can pick tens of offensive trends or pervasive aesthetics in any game or media at large to criticize but lolis seem to compound like 5 of those in one. But hey, if people buy it and like it, what the hell, at least they're not buying crack cocaine simulators.

I also know a lot of people really don't take it that seriously, but I keep getting a feeling that at least part of them does.

says the guy with a Samus avatar

jk

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck

GRAND OPENING
GRAND CLOSING

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
one thing which i wish gaf would do, and i say this as a general remark, is just bump heads together and sort out some sort of mutual decision on what in the world the term "anime" even means.
here we go again

tumblr_nbar4vkghC1slig2vo1_400.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't get why the new character is spawning discussion about lolis and otaku culture and people are assuming arc is selling out by creating her

Like is it the dress?? Her color scheme? What's the trigger that's setting people off here.

Personally she just seems like a Guilty Gear version of Virginia Maxwell from Wild Arms to me. Like I thought gunslinger girl in that type of dress was a long running trope or something

Infinite

it's just the 'safe' thing to do at this point for Japanese developers domestically. Basically catering to moe-otaku is essentially guaranteed money taking into account their buying habits.

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck

welcome back haha

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
says the guy with a Samus avatar

jk
Only because I changing layer colours wouldn't get me that skin tight ZSS outfit!

it's just the 'safe' thing to do at this point for Japanese developers domestically. Basically catering to moe-otaku is essentially guaranteed money taking into account their buying habits.
I suppose, but it just seems so limiting at the same time. Thankfully, it's mostly just the smaller Japanese developers that try to explicitly cater to this stuff, and the big wigs are a bit more diverse.

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck

ibpozcLBoOB7NH.png

Dahbomb

Anime just means they are talking about Japanese animation.

When someone says "that shit is so AANNNIIIMMMAAAYYYY" then they are basically saying "that medium is invoking the art style, design and/or themes used in contemporary Japanese animation".

It just so happens that contemporary Japanese animation means "loli/waifu fanservice otaku garbage" to quite a few people especially on here. Sometimes it's really weird to see hardcore game fans berate on fans of anime due to silly reasons like avatar choice.

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck

Yooo what a COMEBACK !

Nyoro SF

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch

He got all of lady luck

/deceased

but I have no problems with the new Xrd char. The only complaint visually I have so far for GGXrd is that I feel they compromised a little too much artistically for a modern taste.

Infinite

I just don't get why the new character is spawning discussion about lolis and otaku culture and people are assuming arc is selling out by creating her

Like is it the dress?? Her color scheme? What's the trigger that's setting people off here.

Personally she just seems like a Guilty Gear version of Virginia Maxwell from Wild Arms to me. Like I thought gunslinger girl in that type of dress was a long running trope or something

I think the character is too cute for the alleged macho GG players and thus why we are having this discussion.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think the character is too cute for the alleged macho GG players and thus why we are having this discussion.

Pretty much, pretty hilarious over all seeing how May has existed in the series since the start. Then the next version brought along Dizzy and Jam.

Not to mention Faust, Robo Ky, Zappa are all dorky as fuck.

Dlent

I haven't really been bothered by aesthetics as much these days in fighting games; you end up cutting yourself off from very fun but very stupid looking characters like Rufus and Oni. Similarly, I think Blazblue is a game with generic bad Japanese art, and Injustice is a game with generic bad American art. Both of them are fun games to me.

Soul Calibur 2 was the era where I cared way more about aesthetics, and everyone I knew just ended up maining Nightmare for the same reason. I really just wish Guilty Gear would take a different artistic direction, simply because it doesn't seem different enough gameplay wise to get me extremely excited.

Horseress

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck

man....welcome back

Roses are Reds
Violets are Blue
the one that snitch
He got all of lady luck

post2000wutang/10

Marz

I think Testament is badass.

I like characters like him and Dormmamu, zoners who are powerful but have some weaknesses.

I think Testament is badass.

I like characters like him and Dormmamu, zoners who are powerful but have some weaknesses.
I like Eddie, Testament, and Dizzy in GG. It's unfortunate that I only have access to one, but that's still better than the BB roster...

Rhapsody

Banned
FGW, you guys should do more playing and less talking about getting annoyed with character designs not appealing to the west.

Nyoro SF

Fuck this animay talk because Capcom about to reveal a new game in Famitsu::

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=887564&page=100000#footer

DMC5 I believe!

Fighting game? Dragon's Dogma 2? Viewtiful Joe 3?

Or the expexted iOS garbage that it probably is?

Well 32 pages is a LOT, that only can mean something bigger than a mobile title. Obviously it's
32 mobile titles at once

FGW, you guys should do more playing and less talking about getting annoyed with character designs not appealing to the west.

You going to WCW or WC Peace Rally?

Top Bottom