• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

Infinite

To be honest I generally hate having discussions about character designs on the internet. It generally boils down to "I don't like this" which is fine but also not very interesting and not a good reason for why something is "bad".

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yo

I want to play the new character

They put Petra in GG. Best of both worlds

Gunslinger Oujousamas I all day brehs

alstein

It's hard to define to be honest. Some characters like Platinum, once you see them ingame, you realize devs are doing it so way over the top they can't be serious about it. But at the same time what can be seen as irony/satire can also be enjoyed completly for what it is.
So it's very hard to say that BB is ironic or satire since many characters are this way, covering both the needs of a certain segment of fans while being cliché for other people in a ironic way. That's what proves the balance in BB character design is great, even if you don't like it.

Well, Platinum is a satire/homage to magical girls- I can kinda forgive the overdesign for her, but it's the whole damn cast.

If anything, I prefer the character designs in Arcana, which are cleaner and simpler. SG design is also for the most part much better. I think one reason I preferred Persona to BB, is that the char designs weren't Arcsys.

I just think Arcsys char design is complete garbage these days. They'd be better off creating a Rufus Army or something.

tumblr_lqp2niZrEs1qc2y2to3_250.gif

file footage of people who complain about things being "overdesigned"

TheBesteban

Neo Member
Hey all,

I'm Esteban from Hold Back to Block, a Youtube channel with all sorts of content including interviews, match footage, and more. I'm also working on an FGC documentary that was kickstarted last winter.

I was just approved of a GAF account and figured I'd stop in to say hi. I'll try too keep active on the boards as I do lurk often. Nice to meet you all!

Heck, BB characters even have costume colors based on similar anime characters
Yeah but that's still fanservice. Referencing things like Tetsujin 28 and Dancouga is still trying to appeal to older nerds from the 70s or die hard nerds of today.

All you can really say is that Arcsys is absolutely aware of what they are doing.

Infinite

Yeah but that's still fanservice. Referencing things like Tetsujin 28 and Dancouga is still trying to appeal to older nerds from the 70s or die hard nerds of today.

All you can really say is that Arcsys is absolutely aware of what they are doing.

Nothing is wrong with fan service in itself. You can't show me a video game that doesn't have them in one form or the other.

All of the new characters so far in GGXrd look pretty distinct and interesting to play (still need to see some Sin and El footage) so I can't wait to try them all out to see who fits well with me.

The "this character doesn't belong" talk seems to precede the release of every fighting game so it's not something I'm particularly interested in getting involved in outside stating that that I think the new characters have enough clothing/design motifs and rock references (Guns n Roses???) to signify them as Guilty Gear characters.

If their existence is a deal breaker for you hopefully you can find a game that will suite your tastes this holiday season.

Rhapsody

Banned
If she becomes my temp GG Rachel until Dizzy comes out, I'll use her. Just got to see how she plays though.

Edit: Wait, she just uses guns. So she might not have the set play I want. Oh well, we'll see.
wait you're a mod over there?

also Reila is your typical anti-competitive poster, at least she's not MaverickHunterAsh tier or something
Yeah, my username for Smash stuff is Minato. I'm just a regular mod though.

Honestly I don't mind that people don't want a complicated game. I just like an array of options that just make the game feel good. Things like dash dancing, less aerial lag, and keeping running momentum when jumping make the game feel less restricting while keeping things intuitive. People saying that they want less options just because they don't plan on playing seriously just make me :/

TheBesteban

Neo Member
I welcome any addition to Xrd's roster. New character or old.

Looks like they're going the way of SFIV: keep some of the standard cast/fan favorites and bring in some new blood. Hoping for 2 more characters, one old and one new.

Village

I always thought GG was a parody of late 80's 90's and early 2000's anime, and BB was a parody mid 2000's forward

I always thought GG was a parody of late 80's 90's and early 2000's anime, and BB was a parody mid 2000's forward

That's probably true in the sense that the games are products of their time. I'd think they are simply influenced by the popular trends and styles of the day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone else not really like the BB/GG DLC model? Free DLC on Day 1, which is probably on disc or whatever, then jacked up $8+ for anyone afterwards sounds pretty shitty compared to other types of day 1 incentives like custom colours etc.

Don't see how this implies anything.
It implies the possibility that the footage the ESRB leaker got, in one or all of the save states, did not have the full roster unlocked.

Hey all,

I'm Esteban from Hold Back to Block, a Youtube channel with all sorts of content including interviews, match footage, and more. I'm also working on an FGC documentary that was kickstarted last winter.

I was just approved of a GAF account and figured I'd stop in to say hi. I'll try too keep active on the boards as I do lurk often. Nice to meet you all!
Welcome! Love your work.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand what's shifty about the model. Especially with them just making them free on the store for anyone to download instead of unique one use codes.

Anyone else not really like the BB/GG DLC model? Free DLC on Day 1, which is probably on disc or whatever, then jacked up $8+ for anyone afterwards sounds pretty shitty compared to other types of day 1 incentives like custom colours etc.
That's simply how Japan does it for all games since 70%-80% of their life time sales happen during the first week. Although the free DLC period lasts like a month usually. Only the first week being free is an extremely cynical and business focused approach.

This is of course ignoring games from Nintendo or monster hunter or other extremely popular franchises. Those can continue selling copies months after the initial release.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't understand what's shifty about the model. Especially with them just making them free on the store for anyone to download instead of unique one use codes.
At least unique one use codes can be packaged in a copy, and potentially come with all new copies. That way they can subvert the second hand market without locking away significant amounts of content for nickel and diming for anyone who doesn't pre-order. Pretty shitty IMO.

I think it's supposed to provide an incentive to first day/week buyers. My guess is it's all first print run copies that can get El for free. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked for BBCP.

Nyoro SF

It's to put a spike in the Japanese used games market.

I personally hate it, the DLC is very much overpriced for completed characters that they have sliced from your game to make that extra cash. Not much I can do though, the games do appeal to that particular hardcore fanbase that will buy pretty much any DLC put in front of them no matter how ridiculous it is.

Free for Day/Week 1 or first shipment and paid for the rest is better than paid for everyone. It's not like they're charging that ¥800 to make up for giving it away to some people.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's to put a spike in the Japanese used games market.

I personally hate it, the DLC is very much overpriced for completed characters that they have sliced from your game to make that extra cash. Not much I can do though, the games do appeal to that particular hardcore fanbase that will buy pretty much any DLC put in front of them no matter how ridiculous it is.
Yup, I think their pricing structure for characters might actually be the worst in the genre, which compounds with my existing complaints. I mean it's close to $10. That's like having to upgrade to an LE post-release or something for disc-locked content. Not only that, but most publishers at least put some time between release and when they put significant amounts of disc-locked content up for sale. Here it's up front.

Free for Day/Week 1 or first shipment and paid for the rest is better than paid for everyone. It's not like they're charging that ¥800 to make up for giving it away to some people.
Yeah but free for first shipment (or all shipment) is better than free for an extremely limited amount of time. It's the worst way of handling what the practice is meant to handle as far as I can think of.

You can always buy the "complete edition" a year down the line*

*Said complete edition is also an expansion so day-one purchasers will have to buy it too. Kappa

Yeah but free for first shipment (or all shipment) is better than free for an extremely limited amount of time. It's the worst way of handling what the practice is meant to handle as far as I can think of.

Not really. The limited time freeness lets me buy the new Persona Arena whenever I want, which is definitely not Day 1, but get the DLC character they're giving away for free for the first week, for free. If the freeness was limited to first shipments, I'd have to pony up for the character or buy the game before I wanted to.

There are also only so many physical copies, whereas there's no limit to who can get in on the free DLC for digital.

And then of course, being pushed to go physical is annoying.

Ideally, characters would be free, but in a 2D game it's understandable why they aren't. If they're going to cost, I'm not seeing what's so bad about this particular model.

Elfeldt is a gunner who fights using both rifles and shotguns. She can snipe to deal damage from a long distance and also has some sort of powerful potshot attack.
She also has some unique characteristics that will let you aim while and reload. Arc System Works feel that players will get to enjoy FPS-like controls while playing as her.

Guns &' Roses, Me gusta !

Nyoro SF

You can always buy the "complete edition" a year down the line*

*Said complete edition is also an expansion so day-one purchasers will have to buy it too. Kappa

The thing is these games don't get completed editions or DLC discounts except for waaaaay down the line when interest has heavily waned. There's no point because the hardcore fans don't care about the price, they will buy whatever DLC it is. so by the time you're done leeching off of them there aren't even scraps worth doing a discount or complete edition for.

It's kind of a horrifying experiment I feel Arc is doing to test the limits of what people will buy if they make it DLC. Hell they sold old, completed Blazblue stages and people bought them. In P4U2 they're selling music packs, 200 yen per 3 songs. Like I said it doesn't matter, if it comes as DLC and has a price tag people will buy them it doesn't matter how ridiculous it is.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know man. I feel gamers get to caught up with costs

I mean it's just 8 dollars

Nyoro SF

Yeah but that's a gambler's faulty logic. Any amount of money can be trivialized.

And also it's not one of the issues of "if you don't like it, don't buy it" because other people's willingness to buy creates this slice and dice market we have now and affects me directly.

Nothing I can do really.

Azure J

I've always feel weird in discussions about character design in fighting games since I'm that guy that'll sit down and cycle around finding (or trying to find) a character that clicks only to get latched onto them (i.e. enjoy their design, get little aesthetic or small aspects or their presentation) further down the road. That is of course if we aren't playing a cross over or I don't see my "Day 1 Main" in pre-play footage.

On a bit of a tangent, this kinda reminds me of the weird "Smash 4 is too anime" sentiment I've seen expressed more frequently,

Sayad

I'm against paying $8 for a single character, but since it will be free when I get the game, I'm ok with this. Maybe if I bought the game for $25 few months later, I wouldn't mind paying $8 for the character... Just maybe.

I bought KoFXIII steam edition from that humble bundle deal, and so far its net-code have been working better for me than USF4's beta!

.la1n

The other issue is that the prices never drop off the DLC characters. $8.00 is already overpriced for a character but then expecting me to pay that when the game is a year or more old? Get outta here. That's why I still do not own any of the DLC characters for MK 9 or Dead or Alive 5.

Shouta

Guilty Gear designs not anime? Hah.

Maybe not current day anime but it was anime at the time each of them were originally released. If there's any difference in the character designs between Guilty Gear and Blazblue it's that BB uses an additional theme to each one making them even more outrageous.

Nyoro SF

The other issue is that the prices never drop off the DLC characters. $8.00 is already overpriced for a character but then expecting me to pay that when the game is a year or more old? Get outta here. That's why I still do not own any of the DLC characters for MK 9 or Dead or Alive 5.

I actually have never bought a single arcsys DLC, discount or not. But my broadcasted intent as a consumer is very limited; the potential profit to be made off the DLC (especially with the very low cost of creating it) versus the people not willing to pay will almost always without doubt be in the publisher and developer's favor.

Guilty Gear designs not anime? Hah.

Maybe not current day anime but it was anime at the time each of them were originally released. If there's any difference in the character designs between Guilty Gear and Blazblue it's that BB uses an additional theme to each one making them even more outrageous.

I think people are misplacing their arguments of classic vs modern anime.

Even disregarding new characters, I don't really like how some of the GG characters have been redesigned for a more modern anime look (does Sol really need more belts?) but that's my old nostalgia side talking plus my personal opinion that classic anime designs are better, even for cute characters like May and Jam.

Compbros

The other issue is that the prices never drop off the DLC characters. $8.00 is already overpriced for a character but then expecting me to pay that when the game is a year or more old? Get outta here. That's why I still do not own any of the DLC for MK 9 or Dead or Alive 5.

DLC rarely, if ever drops because that's where devs/pubs still get some type of money. Taking DoA5 for your example, you can buy one used for $5~ and now you have the full game and the devs/pubs got no money. Now, if you like the game you may be interested in expanding the experience through DLC and they can now make some money on a game that's several years old. I personally think DLC SHOULD have some type of drop eventually as a game I bought through XBL that's over 5 years old still has $15 DLC but it's their bread and butter with the boom of used games.

Top Bottom