• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Has there ever been an ASW DLC character that wasn't really really strong at release?

kirblar

Okay then.

I guess I'll nab it, if you think it will have staying power.

And promptly proceed to learn Yu and Marie.

Because they appeal to me.

Which is odd, considering their being top tier.
Oh, I misread you.

I don't think this game even makes it to EVO without the publisher/devs losing a few pounds. Game looks to be completely busted, with no real attempt at actually balancing it. Buy it if you like the characters and story, but I don't think the competitive community will stick with it.

Laconic

Banned
Oh, I misread you.

I don't think this game even makes it to EVO without the publisher/devs losing a few pounds. Game looks to be completely busted, with no real attempt at actually balancing it. Buy it if you like the characters and story, but I don't think the competitive community will stick with it.

Oooh.

Lol.

I THOUGHT you might have misread me. ;)

That's why I made the next post so clear, lol.

I figured as much... and I really don't want anything like a one night stand with a stranger to mar my makeup sex with Millia.

Mr. X

What a weird bunch of players switching from one game to next so suddenly en masse. Come on, play multiple titles.

Infinite

What a weird bunch of players switching from one game to next so suddenly en masse. Come on, play multiple titles.
Yeah. At this point in my life however I can only make time to play like two to three of these games at a time. I'm not young anymore so I don't have loads of free time. It's still annoying when anime players bandwagon one game and then jump on the next.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I love cameraman. He had to take care of shit. I wish they would have let Zhi commentate. But I can understand since he's a MCZ employee, that prob didn't fly.

I wish people knew all the stuff cameraman did, but they don't. He is forever my unsung hero to the community.

Keep up the good shit you big fred flinstone looking motherfucker.

Mr. X

Yeah. At this point in my life however I can only make time to play like two to three of these games at a time. I'm not young anymore so I don't have loads of free time. It's still annoying when anime players bandwagon one game and then jump on the next.
It is worse when people stop playing a game because a sequel or update was announced.

I love cameraman. He had to take care of shit. I wish they would have let Zhi commentate. But I can understand since he's a MCZ employee, that prob didn't fly.

I wish people knew all the stuff cameraman did, but they don't. He is forever my unsung hero to the community.

Being a behind-the-scenes hero sadly doesn't make experiencing his commentary any less horrible. It makes the quality understandable, not tolerable.

I really try not to complain about any commentary because it doesn't really bother me. Dude probably is a good guy, but he gotta chill lol.

Also Daigo has Gamerbee downloaded like it aint nobody business.

omega free
sigma free
alpha free

Cameraman's commentary style is a lot like Zhi's actually. But without Zhi's technical observations or crazy personality.

Oooh.

Lol.

I THOUGHT you might have misread me. ;)

That's why I made the next post so clear, lol.

I figured as much... and I really don't want anything like a one night stand with a stranger to mar my makeup sex with Millia.

Don't listen to Kirblar, he's just parroting Q.

pixelish

yes i have no doubt cameraman has done a lot to the singaporean scene (and to a larger extent, the south east asian fgc) but some people are meant to just stay behind the scenes.

Azure J

I just realized that I'm pretty at odds with the Smash thread in terms of what I want from Smash 4 despite being far more open minded about things than most people burned by Brawl. At the same time, it's kinda funny hearing things about how dash dancing should be gone because it "looks janky/like characters glitching out" only to realize that there's a new dash dancing to be had if these shield changes hold up and are combined with fox trots (already confirmed to exist in the game still).

Also shout outs to Beef getting wild hype because "Marth nerfs" before this stuff came to light.

Kumubou

The greater FGC has been playing (U)MvC3 for nearly a half-decade now, balance and how broken a game is has nothing to do with anything. The game just needs to be fun and interesting at high levels, that's it. A lot of people talk about how stupid the games are (and they're right), but people also enjoying running that stupidly powerful BS on other people.

If the game gets people to show up to events, it'll be at majors. That's all that matters.

I just realized that I'm pretty at odds with the Smash thread in terms of what I want from Smash 4 despite being far more open minded about things than most people burned by Brawl. At the same time, it's kinda funny hearing things about how dash dancing should be gone because it "looks janky/like characters glitching out" only to realize that there's a new dash dancing to be had if these shield changes hold up and are combined with fox trots (already confirmed to exist in the game still).
To be fair, dash dancing really does look jank. :p

Also shout outs to Beef getting wild hype because "Marth nerfs" before this stuff came to light.
What did you want from the game?

I also got tired of how strong Marth was for so little player effort. I share in Beef's joy.

He wasnt dlc, but the answer is Terumi and Platinum
My bad.

If you imagine cameraman reading the stream chat word for word as his commentary, it makes it a little funnier. Especially this little sequence.

AH MY EARS! >: (

The greater FGC has been playing (U)MvC3 for nearly a half-decade now, balance and how broken a game is has nothing to do with anything. The game just needs to be fun and interesting at high levels, that's it. A lot of people talk about how stupid the games are (and they're right), but people also enjoying running that stupidly powerful BS on other people.

Plus it makes for one of the best spectator sports too. I love Tekken, KI etc but if UMvC3 is on, then I'd rather watch that.

El Sloth

Banned
Bit early to declare P4U2 just a stop gap for Xrd don't you think? People haven't even gotten a chance to strut their stuff in a tournament setting yet.

Also, I think the declarations of UNiEL's death are premature.

Rhapsody

Banned

Can someone clear up the shield thing? I'm pretty sure in Brawl you could shield during a run like in Melee.

Legit question since I'm hearing some stuff about it but I'm confused.

Edit: Never mind. Apparently I'm told you can shield out of a dash. That's interesting.

I also got tired of how strong Marth was for so little player effort. I share in Beef's joy.

Wait... what? Are you really talking about Melee Marth...? Marth currently has to do some of the most work compared to all of the top characters.

This isn't 2005 anymore.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah I never said anything about p4a having no chance at evo I just think the game is bad from a fighting game design stand point. If it has lots of people wanting it and atlus sponsors it I could see it being at evo.

I know it would never happen but I would love to see xrd, BBCP2, uniel, and ultimax all at evo if they all get the player support.

Dahbomb

I feel like if I was too into Smash I would get myself banned on a regular basis. Some of the stuff people say in that thread is just sad. Many are unable to look past their own microcosm of play.

Rhapsody

Banned
I feel like if I was too into Smash I would get myself banned on a regular basis. Some of the stuff people say in that thread is just sad. Many are unable to look past their own microcosm of play.

That thread feels like a pretty good copy of the Smash 4 section on Smashboards. It's eerie. lol

kirblar

Don't listen to Kirblar, he's just parroting Q.
I'm not- the original P4A had issues due to the simplified setup leaving characters wthout a large variety of options, so individual games/rounds/matchups tended to play out a bit more similarly than with other titles.

That problem still exists, and on top of it, you have a game that looks completely and utterly insane, competiting against BBCP, Xrd, and UNIEL, with BBCP being very well-regarded post-Brokonoe patch, and UNIEL/Xrd being games that "feel" really good to play that will probably get their balance issues (lol long range normals/YRCs) smoothed out over time.

I don't think P4A is really even trying to aim at the hardcore competitive scene, either- it's a licensed title that now feels like a licensed game. P4A was much more conservative than this version, but I think they may have found that the P4A audience leaned much more casual and just said "F it, go nuts" this time around. I'm not saying that P4A is a "bad" game- if you want to play it, play it, I'm just saying that I don't think it's going to stick as a competitive title, because the issues from the first P4A are still there, and they've got even larger issues dog piled on top now in addition to stiffer competition for peoples' time.
At least you don't get the card price/reprint whining you do in TCG discussions. Regular games don't even phase me anymore.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Shield after dashing sounds ok. The thing that concerns me is the changes to the edge. If you really are forced to do something while on the edge couldn't the other player just go right next to them, put up their shield, then react accordingly?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If accurate, game dropped (not really, but still this sucks) http://abload.de/img/kneelandinglag18jdv.gif

iIVlBTCT4MBgR.gif

Azure J

All I really wanted was for some of the truly "this goes against game design 101" decisions to get reversed like the entire idea behind tripping & air dodging out of hit stun and launches on frame 13 or 20 if you mash an attack out. Other things included a "heavier" feel via either more momentum on attacks, greater gravity, or fewer animation/frames to cycle through (so everything doesn't feel like it's velcro'd down when it lands then has to undo the velcro before moving again) as well as better options out of ground movement, be it better dashing and dashing options (attack out of dash, defend out of dash, returning to neutral or crouching) or something new altogether. While the solution everyone championed due to prior experience and familiarity is in dash dancing, the new alternative doesn't seem so bad (see below)

The Marth comment though, I'll just say we'll have to agree to disagree on how "easy" the character is. There might be a considerably lower amount of tech skill you have between yourself and playing him at max, but all of that comes back in duplicate on the player v. player side of things. Good luck dealing with shit like Project M Mario or Link if you miss a KO tipper and they're over the damage threshold for Marth to reliably deal with them off your regular KO blows.

Brawl kinda "addressed" my last point by making all his tippers absurd in knock back though, so if this is your frame of reference, I understand you both better. :lol

Can someone clear up the shield thing? I'm pretty sure in Brawl you could shield during a run like in Melee.

Legit question since I'm hearing some stuff about it but I'm confused.

From how I understand it (and have been told privately), shield raising and dropping has become so good that people are using it to run-stop-option to great effect. Apparently, the recovery time on dropping the shield is nearly non-existent and as such, people are speculating that the new meta is going to be something like combining dashes or even fox-trots with shield cancels to come to complete neutral and from there do stuff. Shield also raises instantly so we aren't even talking about letting that initial dash animation play out while buffering the shield for the run cancel.

Azure J

It not even that, after 13 years of hearing and seeing the same things, you kinda get numb to it. It's this constant game of "1 upping" everyone else for something they might enjoy and the building of sects to tear one side down while extolling their camp's virtues as if it is the arc of the Sakurai covenant that gets really damn grating to deal with.

That and the constant labeling as someone stuck in the past or "a competitive" (as if it has become a slur) you receive when you criticize an aspect of the game

Top Bottom