• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

OceanBlue

Damn, destroyed.

What's with the stomping thing Daigo does on the opponent's wake up? Seems to get multiple throws on wake up thanks to this and often.

The ax kick? I think it's just to build meter.

Watching it right now and holy shit. I thought the set would be 9 minutes long because of the video, but it was only 6 minutes for 3 games lmao. It's crazy how well Daigo shut down Adon's st.HK lol. That focus dash. x__x

Rhapsody

Banned
From how I understand it (and have been told privately), shield raising and dropping has become so good that people are using it to run-stop-option to great effect. Apparently, the recovery time on dropping the shield is nearly non-existent and as such, people are speculating that the new meta is going to be something like combining dashes or even fox-trots with shield cancels to come to complete neutral and from there do stuff. Shield also raises instantly so we aren't even talking about letting that initial dash animation play out while buffering the shield for the run cancel.
Interesting. Guess I'm going to have to see how it all plays out then.

Dahbomb

What does this even mean
Less variety in move options = Less variety in match playstyle compared to other anime games.

Seemed like a reasonable statement to me although that was supposed to be the whole point of Persona to begin as people were getting a bit too overwhelmed with the crazy options in games like Persona.

If accurate, game dropped (not really, but still this sucks) http://abload.de/img/kneelandinglag18jdv.gif
Sakurai is giving kill moves more lag. It makes perfect sense.

All I really wanted was for some of the truly "this goes against game design 101" decisions to get reversed like the entire idea behind tripping & air dodging out of hit stun and launches on frame 13 or 20 if you mash an attack out. Other things included a "heavier" feel via either more momentum on attacks, greater gravity, or fewer animation/frames to cycle through (so everything doesn't feel like it's velcro'd down when it lands then has to undo the velcro before moving again) as well as better options out of ground movement, be it better dashing and dashing options (attack out of dash, defend out of dash, returning to neutral or crouching) or something new altogether. While the solution everyone championed due to prior experience and familiarity is in dash dancing, the new alternative doesn't seem so bad (see below)

The Marth comment though, I'll just say we'll have to agree to disagree on how "easy" the character is. There might be a considerably lower amount of tech skill you have between yourself and playing him at max, but all of that comes back in duplicate on the player v. player side of things. Good luck dealing with shit like Project M Mario or Link if you miss a KO tipper and they're over the damage threshold for Marth to reliably deal with them off your regular KO blows.

Brawl kinda "addressed" my last point by making all his tippers absurd in knock back though, so if this is your frame of reference, I understand you both better. :lol

From how I understand it (and have been told privately), shield raising and dropping has become so good that people are using it to run-stop-option to great effect. Apparently, the recovery time on dropping the shield is nearly non-existent and as such, people are speculating that the new meta is going to be something like combining dashes or even fox-trots with shield cancels to come to complete neutral and from there do stuff. Shield also raises instantly so we aren't even talking about letting that initial dash animation play out while buffering the shield for the run cancel.
Yeah, coming from Brawl.

I want some video of a person just showing things like how fast shield rolls are now.

shoutouts to smash bros

tumblr_n2zk28CdJy1rruop4o1_400.gif

tumblr_n2zk28CdJy1rruop4o2_r1_400.gif

Shouta

fell asleep before the ending because I thought it'd be going on tonight as well ffff

Bw2qeh8CMAAlI91.jpg

Evil Nemo rises

Oooh, Akutagawa is there. He's that Dudley I played at the Taito Station. He's SICK. Has the combos but his play is so damn clean and sharp. He made Nemo hate Dudley and impressed Tokido a whole lot by bopping him in 3/5 round matches, lol.

OceanBlue

Oooh, Akutagawa is there. He's that Dudley I played at the Taito Station. He's SICK. Has the combos but his play is so damn clean and sharp. He made Nemo hate Dudley and impressed Tokido a whole lot by bopping him in 3/5 round matches, lol.

When is this? There are a lot of players listed that I want to see. :O

Anth0ny

I'm not worried about Smash 4

the community has shown that if the new game is ass they're perfectly willing to drop it and play the older, better game

Obviously I hope it's good but those Sakurai interviews have me skeptical.

Less variety in move options = Less variety in match playstyle compared to other anime games.

Seemed like a reasonable statement to me although that was supposed to be the whole point of Persona to begin as people were getting a bit too overwhelmed with the crazy options in games like Persona.

There's no context to what he said. Matches in P4A tended to go pretty linearly because damage output and of lack of good defensive options, not the lack of them entirely due to simplification.

Also an issue with homogeneity doesn't really fit in line with the original topic which was about the game being "busted".

Anne

I'm not- the original P4A had issues due to the simplified setup leaving characters wthout a large variety of options, so individual games/rounds/matchups tended to play out a bit more similarly than with other titles.

That problem still exists, and on top of it, you have a game that looks completely and utterly insane, competiting against BBCP, Xrd, and UNIEL, with BBCP being very well-regarded post-Brokonoe patch, and UNIEL/Xrd being games that "feel" really good to play that will probably get their balance issues (lol long range normals/YRCs) smoothed out over time.

I don't think P4A is really even trying to aim at the hardcore competitive scene, either- it's a licensed title that now feels like a licensed game. P4A was much more conservative than this version, but I think they may have found that the P4A audience leaned much more casual and just said "F it, go nuts" this time around. I'm not saying that P4A is a "bad" game- if you want to play it, play it, I'm just saying that I don't think it's going to stick as a competitive title, because the issues from the first P4A are still there, and they've got even larger issues dog piled on top now in addition to stiffer competition for peoples' time.

At least you don't get the card price/reprint whining you do in TCG discussions. Regular games don't even phase me anymore.

This is wildly inaccurate in so many ways lol. A lot of people misunderstand P4U, it's pretty nutty. Like, the game does have the "Oh shit, I randomly died" factor and I understand people not liking that, but like everything else people say about it is horribly uninformed.

kirblar

Try moderating during banlist season.
Modern banlist discussions made me pick up quick hints to just ignore-list people. "Oh, you think SFM is a reasonable card?" This has actually become a handy tool for quick-sorting online social media and dating profiles.
What does this even mean
The game essentially having only two "normal" buttons (+ the command DPs and such) made matchups blur together a lot, even when different players were involved, because the options weren't as diverse overall in most other titles. It was one of the natural consequences of making the game hyper-beginner-friendly and isn't inherently a bad thing given that they need to make it approachable to FG/Airdasher newcomers coming in from the Persona games.
This is wildly inaccurate in so many ways lol. A lot of people misunderstand P4U, it's pretty nutty. Like, the game does have the "Oh shit, I randomly died" factor and I understand people not liking that, but like everything else people say about it is horribly uninformed.
Well, I think they just stopped trying to contain the nutty and just let it go nuts because they have Xrd/BB which do try to contain the nutty, so they let this audience have P4A.

FluxWaveZ

Well, I think they just stopped trying to contain the nutty and just let it go nuts because they have Xrd/BB which do try to contain the nutty, so they let this audience have P4A.

Do you actually play the game, or just watch specific videos of it/listen to what outspoken people say about it?

The game essentially having only two "normal" buttons (+ the command DPs and such) made matchups blur together a lot

I don't get this. Are Persona normals not normals? Why are they excluded?

Anne

Modern banlist discussions made me pick up quick hints to just ignore-list people. "Oh, you think SFM is a reasonable card?"

The game essentially having only two "normal" buttons (+ the command DPs and such) made matchups blur together a lot, even when different players were involved, because the options weren't as diverse overall in most other titles. It was one of the natural consequences of making the game hyper-beginner-friendly and isn't inherently a bad thing given that they need to make it approachable to FG/Airdasher newcomers coming in from the Persona games.

Like, the idea that the MUs are linear because of lack of options is entirely false. There are plenty of options and MUs develop in interesting ways. The limiting factor in the first game was actually more about setplay being so prominent than anything else, that was kind of the oops of the first one(even then ways to mitigate setplay and approach the MU with that in mind happened). Setplay has been removed and MUs have developed a lot differently, just pressure and damage went up so sometimes that creeps in in a somewhat similar way, but it's not nearly the picture you paint it to be.

In this game, they actually went and heavily toned down/removed setplay like we all wanted. They added more options, chars, mechanics etc to make the game more interesting. The only real drawback is that they went too ham giving everybody stuff and now the game has a lot of nuts in it, but some people like that kinda nuts the same way some people like nutty shit in plenty of other games.

This is the kind of misinformation and crap that makes people make assumptions and dismiss a game. Please be more informed on something like this before you go on about it.

I also just remembered Labrys and S.Lab being underwhelming at launch

And then the game developed and Slab ended up going from bottom to top 5 over the span of the game.

kirblar

Do you actually play the game, or just watch specific videos of it/listen to what outspoken people say about it?
I played P4A at the beginning, it was super-easy to pick up and play, I definitely saw my sister and her friends at least being able to play at a basic level (they liked the Persona IP) so I think it definitely succeeded at letting that audience access the game. It got boring for me to watch after a while in a way that BB/Xrd didn't, and that's my explanation for what I think is going on in terms of it not being the best spectator game.
The limiting factor in the first game was actually more about setplay being so prominent than anything else, that was kind of the oops of the first one(even then ways to mitigate setplay and approach the MU with that in mind happened). Setplay has been removed and MUs have developed a lot differently, just pressure and damage went up so sometimes that creeps in in a somewhat similar way, but it's not nearly the picture you paint it to be.
What did they do to change that- I could have definitely mis-attributed the linearity to the wrong thing, at least I wasn't crazy for seeing it. :p (I feel like we agree re: linearity/nuttiness, actually.) I'm negative not to be a Deckard Cain and fling crap just for the sake of it, it's just that we're getting a crazy amount of games competing for people's time and money right now.

Anne

I played P4A at the beginning, it was super-easy to pick up and play, I definitely saw my sister and her friends at least being able to play at a basic level (they liked the Persona IP) so I think it definitely succeeded at letting that audience access the game. It got boring for me to watch after a while in a way that BB/Xrd didn't, and that's my explanation for what I think is going on in terms of it not being the best spectator game.
What did they do to change that- I could have definitely mis-attributed the linearity to the wrong thing, at least I wasn't crazy for seeing it. :p (I feel like we agree re: linearity/nuttiness, actually.) I'm negative not to be a Deckard Cain and fling crap just for the sake of it, it's just that we're getting a crazy amount of games competing for people's time and money right now.

The big offenders in vanilla were Chie/Narukami. Their D buttons were easy setplay that was strong, so they nerfed those buttons into oblivion. Mitsuru had 50/50 setplay that was directly removed. SLab's hard knockdown options were heavily limited, etc. Again, yeah these made the game sometimes have linear games, but the neutral was so prominent and good and MUs still were interesting. Setplay still exists for some characters, but it's much less prominent and pronounced. Okizeme has moved more to a safejump > reestablish pressure type game.

The thing is, the game actually always has a lot of options made available to the player in a really simple way, people just didn't know all of them. The game has 4 normals (D is usually something not exactly a normal though), a "dust" command, rolls, hops, burst, awakening meta, individual character mechanics, IB, guard cancel, now guard cancel roll, now shadow mode, etc. but people who don't play seriously tend to boil it down to just a couple buttons and DP. So you have all that, then you have a very solid and pronounced neutral game that on top of that.

Over time, all of this developed in a really cool way. Like to mitigate Chie oki, you could hop on wake up and force the Chie to alter her confirm, or you'd eat a small amount of damage and get out of pressure. Mits pressure could be IBed in way that she had to restructure what she wanted to do. Fuzzy jump/throw OS made pressure structure change in a way to deal with it. Aigis 5B blockstring could be IBed, and then fuzzy blocked on top of that. People figured out Teddie's neutral and his MUs got worse over time as a result, meanwhile SLab was becoming optimized and took his spot in top 5.

So, I don't really think the game is linear at all or even all that simple. I just think a large majority of players saw it month one, then didn't learn anything past that and assumed it stayed mostly the same.

P.S. I'm not like upset or anything, I just like explaining this and putting it out there because it's a pretty common thread with P4A. I don't want people to not understand how this game actually goes and then just dismiss it.

kirblar

Kirblar it's all right to apologize and say you just posted a whole load of false stuff for god knows what reason.
But if you don't actually mean the internet apology, what's the point? :p I'm totally open to owning up to when I'm wrong and am willing to change my mind when provided with better data/alternate explanations. I trust AnneIFrank on the linearity complaint's origin here because of her experience with the game and genre, for instance.

But if you don't actually mean the internet apology, what's the point? :p I'm totally open to owning up to when I'm wrong and am willing to change my mind when provided with better data/alternate explanations. I trust AnneIFrank on the linearity complaint's origin here because of her experience with the game and genre, for instance.

I think it's more that the onus is on Anne in the first place to clean up for you being completely baseless. You gave a incredibly vague reason for your otherwise preconceived view of a fighting game and are still clutching on to it because AnneIFrank gave you something that slightly resembles what you said before. (Not really)

kirblar

Already better-implemented with Gems in a way that makes it not-suck in tournaments.
Hopefully it's very quick/easy to play with.
Praise Miyamoto, it doesn't involve Amiibos.
I don't have much confidence that characters won't just have a single "best loadout" when playing competitively.
I think it's more that the onus is on Anne in the first place to clean up for you being completely baseless. You gave a incredibly vague reason for your otherwise preconceived view of a fighting game and are still clutching on to it because AnneIFrank gave you something that slightly resembles what you said before.
I found the game really repetitive to watch. I probably ID'd the wrong thing as the culprit. Totally owning up to that.
PA2 appears to have really nutty damage/combos/craziness in general. I don't think that's in dispute.
I don't think people should pick up PA2 if they want to play "what everyone else is going to be playing in 6 months in tournaments" - I still think this. I think you should pick it up if you like Persona, like the game, like the characters, etc. It's also great if you like that type of hyper-over-the top damage/combo system. I'm not saying don't pick it up if you don't like these things- you very much should, this game is for you! But I think for the player who wants to simply be playing and investing training mode time in the game that's being played every week - I suspect this game's going to have trouble competing with the other offerings in its category for people's attention.

El Sloth

Banned
That's what the Amiibos are for! I could actually see that working out damn well in a tournament setting... just connect the character to the console and it downloads whatever configuration you use.
I thought Amiibos in Smash were purely for your shitty AI friend?

Top Bottom