• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
AgitatedPlasticBlackrussianterrier.gif

wow, that looks like some N64 smash stuff...

Xezuru, do you know which stages that gives Link the advantage? Also, what's your opinion on Link's DACUS, wavedashing, and moonwalking? I find dropping Link's bomb much easier when pressing Z button instead of A+R.

xezuru

Xezuru, do you know which stages that gives Link the advantage? Also, what's your opinion on Link's DACUS, wavedashing, and moonwalking? I find dropping Link's bomb much easier when pressing Z button instead of A+R.

Typically, I would think maps such as Final D, Smashville, PS2, Dreamland.
Usually these map's have alot of space so you can zone with projectiles and the bigger killbox doesn't matter for link because link has some pretty good kill moves with Down Grab into D-air, or Upb.

I think Link's DACUS is semi-useful, pretty useful enough to atleast learn to see if you can use it alot, because it's a pretty good tool on quickly gaining distance and covering the air, I recommend getting used to wavedashing on every character maybe except for like bowser or such because their wd range is so minimal, but Wavedashing back and f-tilting to dodge and poke and such is strong with most characters and people forget they can wavedash out of shield into anything or up-b out of shield which is strong with link.

Edit: Unless you're Captain Falcon/Sonic, I don't think Moonwalking has any real use over more consistent options other than swag.

Typically, I would think maps such as Final D, Smashville, PS2, Dreamland.
Usually these map's have alot of space so you can zone with projectiles and the bigger killbox doesn't matter for link because link has some pretty good kill moves with Down Grab into D-air, or Upb.

I think Link's DACUS is semi-useful, pretty useful enough to atleast learn to see if you can use it alot, because it's a pretty good tool on quickly gaining distance and covering the air, I recommend getting used to wavedashing on every character maybe except for like bowser or such because their wd range is so minimal, but Wavedashing back and f-tilting to dodge and poke and such is strong with most characters and people forget they can wavedash out of shield into anything or up-b out of shield which is strong with link.

So what control scheme do you recommend me? I like using z button as an attack button for link's dacus but I want to use his z button to drop a bomb. Also, I want to use R as a block button for wavedash use despite the fact I can't do it consistently but it's much more comfortable using R instead of L button. Also, I don't use L for wavedashing nor DACUS use, again it's uncomfortable doing DACUS and wavedashing using an L button.

Kumubou

Spooky posted some arcade tour videos. Your not allowed to film in the arcades but Spooky does it
From my experience, you can generally record your own gameplay (some arcade even have recording setups for specific cabinets), but recording other people or other games is a no-no. I got yelled at by one of the attendants at Leisureland for recording UNIEL matches... until I started playing, anyway (at which point everyone looked at me like I was nuts).

yeah man you always hear about how many floors Japanese arcades have and Spooky does a good job of walking around every floor so you can get a feel of it.
One thing these videos don't capture is just how loud it can get, especially on the floors with the music-rhythm games. That shit will make you go deaf if you're not careful (and unsurprisingly, most modern music games support headphones).

xezuru

So what control scheme do you recommend me? I like using z button as an attack button for link's dacus but I want to use his z button to drop a bomb. Also, I want to use R as a block button for wavedash use despite the fact I can't do it consistently but it's much more comfortable using R instead of L button. Also, I don't use L for wavedashing nor DACUS use, again it's uncomfortable doing DACUS and wavedashing using an L button.
I'm an avid fan of the original control scheme even when I use a PS4 controller on netplay cause too poverty to pick up a GC adapter.
Most people do L or R as an attack whichever you use less, to make 1 frame dacus and boost grabs easier.
And some people use whichever X/Y they use least for jumping to bind to a taunt so that they have an actual close-by Footstool button.

... Chipp?
Anyone know where Chipp's at in Xrd? Is he pretty strong?
GG is surprisingly one of the few fighters where one doesn't stand out to me as a must main even though they all have their own crazy different stuff, but atleast Chipp seems like I could do some cool strider bullshit.

petghost

Banned
Chipp's a strong character.
Woshige(top level Millia) has Chipp in S tier, but there may be a bit of bias behind that.

Yo I dno about S but yeah I agree that he is really good. teleport yrc is a really strong tool.it kinda blows up neutral. Did venom do ball set from full screen? Teleport yrc and get a full punish.

It's dumb and is the one of the best examples of the shortcominga of this new system.

Uraizen

Banned
Anyone know where Chipp's at in Xrd? Is he pretty strong?
GG is surprisingly one of the few fighters where one doesn't stand out to me as a must main even though they all have their own crazy different stuff, but atleast Chipp seems like I could do some cool strider bullshit.

No, Chipp is terrible, nobody play him. >.>

Laconic

Banned
Thanks for the answers, ladies and gents.

How big is the divide between tiers, in Xrd?

I know that XX had relatively manageable gaps, but what about the differences in Xrd, between S, A, B, and Low tier?

petghost

Banned

I know that XX had relatively manageable gaps, but what about the differences in Xrd, between S, A, B, and Low tier?

the XX series in some iterations had characters which imo were kind of unacceptable notably #R and possibly AC eddie, AC testament etc. and i dont think there are any chars that dumb in xrd. that said i think faust is pretty close. he has a ridiculous new f.s, cranks guard bar better than anyone else and gets solid damage even without cranked bar. Arc revo had a faust mirror GF.

but overall i dont think the gap is huge or anything and guys like fino or ain or FAB are still quite successful with their lower tier chars.

Anne

It's fine, gaps are small. You'll notice the top tiers ability to just start setting plays on you and kill the crap out of you, but the lower tiers do it sometimes too.

I tried doing AGT, I hate the fact when I attempted to AGT up and throw the bomb down, either it doesn't come out or his hook shot comes out. Same when I air dodge right and want to throw the bomb left, vice versa. Especially when doing AGT off stage trying to get back on the stage, the hook shot comes out.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
havent played marvel in a while and now im getting serious with it again and i pick doom... WHAT HAVE I BECOME?!?! AM I THE THING I SET OUT TO DESTROY?!

xezuru

I tried doing AGT, I hate the fact when I attempted to AGT up and throw the bomb down, either it doesn't come out or his hook shot comes out. Same when I air dodge right and want to throw the bomb left, vice versa. Especially when doing AGT off stage trying to get back on the stage, the hook shot comes out.

That's the reason I got used to AGT with the c-stick instead of a button input, works pretty easy for me, and for link a perfect up agt throw up -> immediate Up-B will gain you massive vertical distance when you hit your own bomb so you can get another upb.

havent played marvel in a while and now im getting serious with it again and i pick doom... WHAT HAVE I BECOME?!?! AM I THE THING I SET OUT TO DESTROY?!

Tried to get back into marvel and all my execution deteriorated into mush, trying to find a NOT DOOM to pair up with Strider, Trying out Dante/Chris/Strider, but my exection is so bad and chris's machine gun is no doom beam.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Tried to get back into marvel and all my execution deteriorated into mush, trying to find a NOT DOOM to pair up with Strider, Trying out Dante/Chris/Strider, but my exection is so bad and chris's machine gun is no doom beam.

Dante and Strider go beautifully together. If execution is lacking, you should probably do Wesker, ???, Strider since the mixups are still godlike with this team and combos with Wesker are easy-peasy.

Dahbomb

Warner Bros publisher sales today on Steam. Injustice and MK9 are pretty cheap on there. A bunch of Batman games on sale as well.

That's the reason I got used to AGT with the c-stick instead of a button input, works pretty easy for me, and for link a perfect up agt throw up -> immediate Up-B will gain you massive vertical distance when you hit your own bomb so you can get another upb.

I forgot to mention that I did use a c-stick but still having same issues.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There are a lot of subtle changes to veteran movesets that completely change the game and make for some really fun stuff. I'm imagining how hype 9 year old me would be if Pikachu's Thunder in 64 worked like how it does in Smash 4.

Its just like one of my Japanese animes.

Man disappointing year for Capcom showings in general ... (I expected nothing and still was let down.gif).. Still crossing fingers for secret reveal at TGS :(

Laconic

Banned
Man disappointing year for Capcom showings in general ... (I expected nothing and still was let down.gif).. Still crossing fingers for secret reveal at TGS :(

Nothing is better than their last few showings.

Context clears that sentence up.

Anything, even a complete lack of even a single thing, beats franchise assassinations and suicides.

R.I.P. Rockman - you were too good for that company.

R.I.P. Dante - suiciding you sent you home, at least.

Top Bottom