• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Shito

Been busy with holidays / Destiny lately, but Maya looks really nice, and I'm starting a total 180° turn on Elphelt: I reaaaally want to try her out now!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm not one to drink haterade but I didn't care for Maya's trailer and don't like mummy man's design.

BUT
Maya's design is great and her theme is superb.

FWIW I think Thunder had the best trailer and Spinal had the best reveal.

Laconic

Banned
To everyone who believes that the PS3 version of Xrd won't have gameplay parity with the PS4 one:

Why would Arcsys even consider offering cross-generation play, if the games did not in fact play, frame-per-frame, second to second, identically?

This is a sincere inquiry.

casperOne

In my opinion, I think it'd make a more interesting read if top players (you can gauge that based off of tournament results I suppose) were on the panel of judges since they have the most knowledge and insight of who the best as well as the up-and-comers are. Also having the power rankings be more concentrated in terms of area, such as the best of Norcal/Socal/NY, etc. That way the best players of that area that people don't really know about could get some exposure. I know this is an eSports article, but covering the same players time after time starts to become redundant

I like the regional idea. You're right about same players time after time. I'm sure they'd have to balance it against the effort to produce vs. appeal.

Just my two cents. I know that this article was probably written for those who aren't necessarily invested in fighting games as much as most of the people in this thread, and they're probably not aware of who's getting tournament results. But I think having the panel consist of players themselves would make for more constructive content that will appeal to us as well. People show interest when players post their tier lists on Eventhubs, they'd probably be curious about player's opinions about each other; interesting things might happen. I recall Daigo saying Nemo was one of the strongest SF4 players in Tokyo or whatever during his AMA and that created some buzz to the point where now they're having an exhibition at TGS from what I hear.

edit: and sorry for the light criticism out of nowhere, it's aimed at the article, not you!

None taken.

I think the best would be what you see on ESPN, players and dedicated analysts/casters. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Also, note that not every player makes the transition from playing to analyst well. If you follow any sport regularly on ESPN, watching one of the specialized sport shows (think "Baseball Tonight" vs "Sports Center"), you'd be able to tell very quickly what players make the transition well (they're usually weeded out).

Glad I didn't get called out too much on my picks/scoring.

oh yea there is a tourney next week on the 27th held by ghaleon (creator of Season's Beatings) in Cleveland. I'll be attending, but I don't know if they have a stream. Ill have to check

Whom can I speak to about getting access to the brackets?

I hope the format isn't single elimination again but we'll see. I know this is a trade show, but I think it still should have been a premiere event for the Capcom Cup. The talent in Japan is too high to only give them one premiere event.

http://madcatz.co.jp/events/img/event20140918_02.pdf

It is single elimination. That's the format the Japanese are most used to.

I disagree that it should have been a premiere event for Capcom Cup, given that it's an invitational. That limits other people's ability to get point cups at this event.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
To everyone who believes that the PS3 version of Xrd won't have gameplay parity with the PS4 one:

Why would Arcsys even consider offering cross-generation play, if the games did not in fact play, frame-per-frame, second to second, identically?

because they need to believe that it will be bad to justify buying a PS4 for the game

Like damn if you want it just get it.

When the cross-gen announcement hit, some people theorized that the PS3 port would have to run at 30 FPS in order to handle the graphics, because of the difference in RAM between the PS3 and the PS4, and other people have been running with that ever since.

because they need to believe that it will be bad to justify buying a PS4 for the game

Like damn if you want it just get it.

This too.

Unless I've been reading the wrong posts I don't think anyone's saying anything about the gameplay, just how it will look versus the PS4 version.

I'll be picking it up on the PS4 for that 1080p goodness. I also need something to keep my PS4 from collecting more dust.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
When the cross-gen announcement hit, some people theorized that the PS3 port would have to run at 30 FPS in order to handle the graphics, because of the difference in RAM between the PS3 and the PS4, and other people have been running with that ever since.

Wut. I've just said it will look shitty side by side, also that there might be slowdown in certain situations if BB is anything to go by

Nyoro SF

I was planning on getting a PS4 for Bloodborne anyway. I might as well get it a bit earlier and pick up Xrd too.

Naturally I'm not happy about having to buy a console this early on in its life but whatever.

I hope there's a good Black Friday deal for PS4 here. It doesn't necessarily have to be a discount, if it's a free game I don't care about and can sell that's bundled with it that's good too.

Fiktion

Banned
AgitatedPlasticBlackrussianterrier.gif

Dahbomb

There will be no price drops for PS4 this Christmas. Get real folks.

You might see this weird online sales with bundles especially in non US places but there isn't going to be an official price drop.

I don't think Xbox One is getting a price drop either but it will be getting better bundles (like buy Xbox One get MCC free that sort of thing).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There will be no price drops for PS4 this Christmas. Get real folks.

You might see this weird online sales with bundles especially in non US places but there isn't going to be an official price drop.

I don't think Xbox One is getting a price drop either but it will be getting better bundles (like buy Xbox One get MCC free that sort of thing).
Pretty much, now that there's actually software on the market and the stream will get steadier now.

Canada doesn't get good deals that often, however there's already been some ridiculous deals on the X1. The other week there was kinectless X1 Sunset Overdrive Bundle + Destiny + $60 gift card for $399. That's insane.

Pretty much, now that there's actually software on the market and the stream will get steadier now.

Canada doesn't get good deals that often, however there's already been some ridiculous deals on the X1. The other week there was kinectless X1 Sunset Overdrive Bundle + Destiny + $60 gift card for $399. That's insane.

From what I've seen yeah. They aren't price drops, just damn good bundle deals. The Xbox has seen a price drop here in the U.K and good deals on Bundles. That Canadian offer was silly beans. I was about perform a TAC on myself out the window.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From what I've seen yeah. They aren't price drops, just damn good bundle deals. The Xbox has seen a price drop here in the U.K and good deals on Bundles. That Canadian offer was silly beans. I was about perform a TAC on myself out the window.
Thank god you guessed right! *whew*

Dahbomb

The other week there was kinectless X1 Sunset Overdrive Bundle + Destiny + $60 gift card for $399. That's insane.
That IS insane jesus christ...

3 games plus full console for $399 I would get on that in a heart beat.

jbug617

Banned
Spooky posted some arcade tour videos. Your not allowed to film in the arcades but Spooky does it

Club Sega in Akihabara- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQu-4Pm1y8&list=UUjT9Hwh4twdfvFZCV1tIsCw

Tokyo Leisure Land in Akihabara- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1YOrjs7l1A&index=11&list=UUjT9Hwh4twdfvFZCV1tIsCw

Taito Station in Shinjuku- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Bj_l0UOCQ&index=9&list=UUjT9Hwh4twdfvFZCV1tIsCw

HEY Arcade in Akihabara- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_K8-WQxfA&list=UUjT9Hwh4twdfvFZCV1tIsCw&index=2

He also got some other Japanese videos of Yodabashi, TGS, Food, etc

Wut. I've just said it will look shitty side by side, also that there might be slowdown in certain situations if BB is anything to go by

I thought Laconic was asking a general question, so I gave a general answer - my bad. When I say "some people", I'm genuinely generalizing.
Hell, you can count me as of of the skeptics if it turns out that the PS3 port really does run at 30 FPS - history has shown that there's no such thing as "the feel of 60 FPS". But that's a pretty big 'if', because it's almost impossible to tell just how hard Xrd is on the RingEdge 2 just from looking at the game. If the game runs hard on the board, then something's got to give for the PS3 port - and in that situation, the PS3 port would probably take a hit in aesthetics somehow, which is similar to what you said. But that's concern for graphics, not gameplay. I'd hope that they'd try to avoid slowdown either way.

Top Bottom