• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Wow, Selvaria in DBFC is awesome. Wasn't going to get that game because there's too many other ones i need to play, but now i may cave in anyway.

mbpm1

KlMhIuc.jpg

That picture is gold though. I wish it could be next week's title somehow. Just that picture superimposed in the title.

FSLink

Banned
So any of you guys here in FGW have Smash 3DS? I need some online buddies in this, and keeping up with the Smash 3DS topic can be difficult.

My FC is 2681-1157-3404.

Kimosabae

Banned
More Smash mechanics. Apparently, skid canceled dashes are the new crouch canceled dashes.

All of that just to say: "You can use a skid animation to cancel runs... similar to crouch canceling in Melee/P:M."

Smash community is fun.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iZPxLLaL4N8
Looks like Smash 4 basically has rage.

Yuck.

Mechanics like these prove that developers lose touch with their initial motivations for elements the longer a series thrives.

Tell me Sakurai: what inspired you to have a ledge game in the Smash series in the first place?

alstein

Why should players be rewarded for taking damage? Is that "hype" or "leveling the playing field", or both, or neither?

Tastes bad to me

I've never hated rage mechanics unless they were to the point that someone would intentionally take damage to activate them. Then again, I grew up on SNK fighters which used to have the ultimate rage mechanic.

That said, I do think power/system creep does infect fighting game franchises the longer they stay around- this is why you need fresh reboots every decade. This is also why I think if Capcom does SF5 this gen it won't do nearly as well as SF4.

As for Diago's arm, it looks like nickel burn from a wristwatch perhaps? It's why I don't wear them, whenever I wore one the skin around my wrist would do the same, and it's in the shape of a wristwatch.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why should players be rewarded for taking damage? Is that "hype" or "leveling the playing field", or both, or neither?

Tastes bad to me

It doesn't seem like you're rewarded for taking damage so much as your character is just simply weaker at lower percentages.

Seems like the mechanic is in place to benefit the person losing more than to encourage players to take damage to seal kills. If you're ahead you have to play better to keep your lead than if you were even on damage, and if you're behind you're in more of a position to take kills off the winning player at much lower percentages than what you're at currently

or maybe it doesn't even matter that much.

anyways it kind of explains why it takes forever to kill. Not only do you have to be at high percentages to die you have to be at higher percentages to kill

I am not inherently against these Smash changes. I think it'll be interesting to see how they play out over the long term. The effects seem pretty minor.

Also, I want video gameplay of Selvaria before I buy into this strange fighting game...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I am not inherently against these Smash changes. I think it'll be interesting to see how they play out over the long term. The effects seem pretty minor.

Yeah it'd be interesting to see the values at play, since the video itself demonstrates that the effect gets diminishing returns passed a certain point

Still it's not really a fun variable to have to consider in this game, I already thought percentage specific combos were annoying. Now they're not only dependent on your opponent's percentage but your percentage as well. but I wouldn't put it in the same category as X Factor or even Tekken Rage as far as comeback mechanics go

Yeah it'd be interesting to see the values at play, since the video itself demonstrates that the effect gets diminishing returns passed a certain point

Still it's not really a fun variable to have to consider in this game, I already thought percentage specific combos were annoying. Now they're not only dependent on your opponent's percentage but your percentage as well. but I wouldn't put it in the same category as X Factor or even Tekken Rage as far as comeback mechanics go
I am actually coming at this from another direction: between DI, VI, and this rage mechanic, preset combos may be a thing of the past. It might require us to make the proper reads to continue combos every time, eliminating the monotony of repeat situations.

Maybe it wont play out that way, but it could, and may be Sakurai's intention.

Oh man, so bad, so sad...

Was this in Brawl or Melee?

Not as far as I know. You could influence the trajectory you got launched at, which could then break combos or turn them read-dependant at higher percentages, but at least in Melee you have basically no ability to alter the amount of knockback you take (Meteor Smashes excepted, you can cancel the downwards knockback on those by jumping or up+B).

EDIT: In case you meant rage, only for Lucario in Brawl.

I've never hated rage mechanics unless they were to the point that someone would intentionally take damage to activate them. Then again, I grew up on SNK fighters which used to have the ultimate rage mechanic.
I've always been against rage comebacks. In Tekken 6 it never really bothered me but I could do without it. MvC3 (to me) was completely ruined by "Oh now I'm extremely fast, have high damaging attacks and have the ability to infinite loop you, not only that but make a 3v1 comeback and also now unable chipped".
Also

PaulPhoenixDeathFistInRageTTT2.gif

Really not into this new rage mechanic in Smash. To be honest, this Smash gets more meh the more I see it anyway.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I am actually coming at this from another direction: between DI, VI, and this rage mechanic, preset combos may be a thing of the past. It might require us to make the proper reads to continue combos every time, eliminating the monotony of repeat situations.

I don't play smash so I don't really know enough to say any more than I have

but I don't really like the idea of removing guaranteed situations from fighting games. I think that's where alot of the strategy and depth of these games lies, moreso than the moment to moment decisions of neutral game.(which is also a fun and necessary component of a good fighting game)

I don't play smash so I don't really know enough to say any more than I have

but I don't really like the idea of removing guaranteed situations from fighting games. I think that's where alot of the strategy and depth of these games lies, moreso than the moment to moment decisions of neutral game.(which is also a fun and necessary component of a good fighting game)
Hmm, I guess we are coming at this from completely opposite directions.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I guess we are coming at this from completely opposite directions.

Seems like it

Smash was never going to be my game anyways. If this makes the game more exciting in the long run for the people that enjoy it all the better

Beckx

So any of you guys here in FGW have Smash 3DS? I need some online buddies in this, and keeping up with the Smash 3DS topic can be difficult.

My FC is 2681-1157-3404.

Yes but I'm almost never online right now, too much going on and just no time. Probably for the best, ha, I'd learn from the games but you'd be board out of your skull dunking on me.

On the topic of Smash, I've been bouncing between several different characters but really going to focus on Little Mac and Dark Pit. I've been trying Shulk but am about to give up on him, the reel process for art selection is killing me. I like playing Little Mac a lot, for some reason I seem to gravitate to fast light boxer characters these days (Akihiko in P4A). Though Zero Suit Samus is tempting, that dive kick damn.

Sayad

This kinda have the potential to be as obnoxious as TACs.

Making it harder to combo but easier to spike people when you're hurting is an interesting tradeoff.

From playing Mario and Link the spikes act differently. There's OTGs.
I was playing Link and did his (Air) Down + A/Falling sword stab, it caused the opponent to fly downwards then bounce back up at a fast rate. Compared to the old Smash Bros, you'd get hit by that attack and launch into the air.
Telling you, Link got nerfed to pointlessnessess.

casperOne

Can tokido drift pls be the thread title

YISSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ALL THE +1'S

god damn it, label that shit NSFW

Yes please.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Cilmax

Do I even want to Google this?

I love this picture. I felt that the shot could have been better from a technical standpoint but I love that the three of them are in this.

Tastes bad to me

Looks like Smash players are being welcomed to the world of comeback mechanics.

Pompadour

Tastes bad to me

Smash tends to have a lot of little mechanics that aren't explicitly made known to the player and don't have a massive impact on the matches. This doesn't seem like it could be game-changing but I can see why people wouldn't like something that just rewards getting hit.

Personally, I'm not against comeback mechanics as long as they are balanced appropriately as they can matches more fun to watch. This mechanic just seems to bump up your damage and knockback by a small amount so that isn't very hype-inducing.

Laconic

Banned
I've always been against rage comebacks. In Tekken 6 it never really bothered me but I could do without it. MvC3 (to me) was completely ruined by "Oh now I'm extremely fast, have high damaging attacks and have the ability to infinite loop you, not only that but make a 3v1 comeback and also now unable chipped".
Also

PaulPhoenixDeathFistInRageTTT2.gif

Really not into this new rage mechanic in Smash. To be honest, this Smash gets more meh the more I see it anyway.

I agree with all of this.

And yet I still think that TAC infinites were worse.

X-Factor is bad like Ultras in SF4 vanilla were bad.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's probably not a big deal and I'm sure the vast majority of Smash players won't even realize this mechanic is in place. Still, I think the game would be better without it and I can imagine people who main Smash getting really sick of accounting for it in every single match they ever play.

Top Bottom