• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

pixelish

hmm not sure why some of you aren't reacting positively to omega mode. it's free and looks fun as heck. plus it will be released alongside with the new balance patch + netcode fixes so y'all can't really say they're wasting their resources and time on the new mode.

alstein

Omega kinda looks like an experiment to gauge which direction to go with SFV.

I think Ultra was an experiment as well, given how many more buffs than nerfs were given out in general.

The only downside is characters can get Jeffryed (VF5- he was too strong in R, they nerfed him while buffing most of the rest of the cast up to his old level, leaving him bottom tier)

As for Omega mode, if I felt it was a waste of resources I'd be upset, but I'm assuming it's a side project from folks who didn't have much to do. It's not like those folks would be able to fix the netcode.

Omega mode is probably the result of the developers having fun with the engine, so there's not really anything wrong there.

Most PC players are going to be sore over this, but the PC port studio is not the same team who work on features like this.

Who knows - this might end up being a really fun tournament side game or something.

Also the new Tekken character has Dampierre's trousers.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243Ukma5G3c&t=6m15s]

Alpha counters (from the look of it) shortly after in the vid too!

This is the first I've seen of the Omega presentation, and I only saw/read the Omega thread some hours ago. This is really going to put some life into the game for me at least, still haven't even picked up the game yet.

Don't know if I picked that up correctly, but it sounded like they said that the uppercut move that knocked Sagat up with both hands from Blanka was a SRK-motion move.

EX Blanka Ball either lets you follow up with a regular one off the juggle, or it's all one move. This looks so crazy and fun.

Posting this for here for all the Americans when they wake up :)
FUB2Ru5.gif

I said in the main thread with the Combofiend demonstration video that I couldn't wait to piss people off even more with Blanka even before seeing this, and my prayers were answered.

A teleporting Blanka. Thank you Capcom, I'm picking up USF4 as soon as this DLC drops. This has to be the most fun thing you done for all of the last and current generation, even better than Edition Select. Now I really, really can not wait to see the rest of the characters.

Screw the haters. The ridiculousness of it would make me want to watch USF4 matches, even without Daigo in them.

k4n3

Banned
well since ultra was just a copy/paste of SFxT characters/stages only makes sense to now copy over the combos and specials, i was really hoping for a ps4 port :(

number47

omega looks like capcom beat the mod community to a rainbow edition.
we already saw the ken kicks from before.
so we probably already seen onis moveset.
looks fun , like they understand this will could of be a faster paced game.
and extra incentive to get it on pc now.

next level better get on with some pc stations.

Should had anounced omega edition with a ps4/xbone port.

I think its dumb and cool at the same time. Mostly dumb.

But guess we can't call free stuff dumb and and if you dont like something you are a hater ;)

But for reals, ill play it. But am hoping more for a patch to fix the hitboxes and make the pc/ps3 online better.

alstein

omega looks like capcom beat the mod community to a rainbow edition.
we already saw the ken kicks from before.
so we probably already seen onis moveset.
looks fun , like they understand this will could of be a faster paced game.
and extra incentive to get it on pc now.

next level better get on with some pc stations.

Omega isn't going to be on console?

hmm not sure why some of you aren't reacting positively to omega mode. it's free and looks fun as heck. plus it will be released alongside with the new balance patch + netcode fixes so y'all can't really say they're wasting their resources and time on the new mode.
I am mostly just worried about Capcom entering the current generation. I wonder if/when it will happen. The company is in a rather sorry state these days, and I am concerned about their future. Another Street Fighter update makes me wonder if they are actually working on a present-gen fighting game.

vg260

But guess we can't call free stuff dumb and and if you dont like something you are a hater ;)

But for reals, ill play it. But am hoping more for a patch to fix the hitboxes and make the pc/ps3 online better.

I have no idea why they haven't announced One/PS4 ports yet. They seem to be wanting to prolong the life of this game, and that's the way to do it.

just realized we saw some of this stuff already when someone mined the data off the Ultra update and found the Chun & Ken supers from Third Strike in there.

I do kinda like the idea that Ken no longer throws fireballs, he kicks them. I mean, the delineation between him and Ryu has already been really apparent for awhile now, but that further solidifies it.

Looks like an internal game jam got into the game actual. Always fun to break a game to make it completely different. (that's how I got my break in development) I wish Sim's drills could combo easily in the game proper but love the air juggle properties and air combos.

Omega also works for the community and might give them insight on their next project.

Dahbomb

I think I'm really disappointed but I can't just put my finger on it...

Omega mode? Instead of fixing all the hitbox/deejay issues?

Is this the only way I'll be able to get Deejay to be mid tier?

No Winter costumes?

Capcom wtf
Dee Jay will still be low tier in this version.

I want to see a tier list for Omega version.

pixelish

Omega mode is probably the result of the developers having fun with the engine, so there's not really anything wrong there.

Most PC players are going to be sore over this, but the PC port studio is not the same team who work on features like this.

Who knows - this might end up being a really fun tournament side game or something.

Also the new Tekken character has Dampierre's trousers.

hey fsp, i was just browsing the cpt website and found out you placed 9th at lockdown last week. congrats for doing well in that tournament!

Exr

Omega mode looks awesome, nice way to change things up without needing the whole team to work on the game I guess. Can't wait to see Vega and Balrog changes, this mode looks like tons of fun. Except for Blanka teleport.

Aquashark

Banned
Omega looks like fun, but.. where's my REMATCH button?
when Ultra got out, there were only excuses from David Hinds and Peter.. they didn't have the time/resources they said. oh yeah?

Dahbomb

Omega looks like fun, but.. where's my REMATCH button?
when Ultra got out, there were only excuses from David Hinds and Peter.. they didn't have the time/resources they said. oh yeah?
PR lip service gonna PR lip service.

The good thing about this Omega news is that at least Capcom didn't over hype it.

No need to think about that, especially considering we know Ono has had enough difficulty moving forward already. Just supports notions that Capcom really doesn't want to support it's fighting game subdivision with frequent releases and even with the arrival of a new console generation would rather wring out their titles for as long as possible.

They're on record saying both of their major FG franchises wouldn't get sequels until a decade after their predecessors release, and all is going according to the plan. It looks fun, like Bobby said it's probably our Alpha 4, but this is just yet another reminder of Capcom's failings and a bad omen for progress.

Sounds like Capcom's problems in a nutshell.
Yeah, it's clear you're over thinking this.

what was even the point of omega sf4? Just so ppl can do some random stuff in street fighter with modding it?

Also what was up with tokido's stick? He just has an extra jab/up button? Is there a pic of it?

it looks like pros are going the hybrid stick/hitbox route. In 10 years everybody gonna be playing on hit boxes with like 30 buttons lol.

I read the 1.04 announcement and at least they're doing bug/balance fixes. Wouldve been dissapointed if all they were doing was omega mode

Rhapsody

Banned
what was even the point of omega sf4? Just so ppl can do some random stuff in street fighter with modding it?

Also what was up with tokido's stick? He just has an extra jab/up button? Is there a pic of it?

To give players something fun to mess around with, regardless if you're a competitive player or not.

It's like adding boss versions for characters in other fighting games.

Is the balance patch going to be substantial or will it just be a bunch of bug fixes?

looks like bug fixes with some slight balance changes. Said stuff like fixing rolento, cody light ruffian kick, etc.

To give players something fun to mess around with, regardless if you're a competitive player or not.

It's like adding boss versions for characters in other fighting games.

I thought they were releasing it without doing balancing so I was like what a waste till I read the capcom unity announcement

edit: from the announcement

The version 1.04 patch improves upon the version 1.02 patch released earlier this year by addressing more of the issues brought to our attention by our most diehard fans. Some of the fixes you can expect to see are the Decapre and Rolento changes introduced in the Ver B. patch reverted, as well as Cody’s Light Ruffian Kick once again causing a hard knockdown against airborne opponents as it did in AE 2012. There are more fixes being included, which we’ll disclose closer to the release date.

For those of you out there who desire to practice your setups in the face of delayed wakeup, I’m pleased to announce the addition of the delayed wake up dummy option in training mode. Now that this setting is available, I’m really eager to see how this will advance the game and if anyone will be able to create setups that account for both normal and delayed wakeups.

And lastly, for our PC players, we’ve heard the concerns you have voiced and have some fixes coming your way that should definitely improve your online experiences. For example, we noticed that when players were in the middle of matches, they were still getting pinged by those outside of the match, thereby creating slowdown. We’ve fixed it so that this will be no longer the case. Additionally, a few other connection fixes are going in as well, all of which should reduce the connectivity issues experienced by players.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It looks more fun than Edition Select

So maybe there actually will be side tournaments for this game

Dahbomb

Yeah this can get more traction than Edition select because Edition select is mostly old characters that people have played already. These are basically brand new characters and that would require at least a few weeks to figure what's good and what isn't.

kirblar

Yeah this can get more traction than Edition select because Edition select is mostly old characters that people have played already. These are basically brand new characters and that would require at least a few weeks to figure what's good and what isn't.
Yup. Sf4: omega hyper bullshit rainbow edition should be a ton of fun precisely because it won't be a serious game. Nice to see they're considering minor balance/quality of life changes in addition to bug fixes.

Dahbomb

Yup. Sf4: omega hyper bullshit rainbow edition should be a ton of fun precisely because it won't be a serious game. Nice to see they're considering minor balance/quality of life changes in addition to bug fixes.
Edition select wasn't serious either and that gained almost no traction.

Edition select wasn't serious either and that gained almost no traction.

Well, that was essentially DOA once people found out you couldn't take it online though, right?

this goes into endless battle just fine. In fact - doesn't this just essentially mean Edition Select entire is now online enabled?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

You can not like something just fine.

People saying that this is a waste of time and saying that it takes resources away from patches and balances (which are coming with this anyways) and hating it for whatever reason are silly though. It's free, separate, and clearly meant for the fun of things. It's not a forced change.

The general reception to USF4 was that it was stale and felt rushed - Capcom are fixing the problems AND adding things to bring it to life. You have others that would rather them leave the game die and continue onto SF5. Guess what, they're definitely working on that already regardless.

Dahbomb

Should've just patched out TAC infinites from UMVC3... would've generated 10x more hype than this and required 10x less effort.

alstein

it looks like pros are going the hybrid stick/hitbox route. In 10 years everybody gonna be playing on hit boxes with like 30 buttons lol.

I read the 1.04 announcement and at least they're doing bug/balance fixes. Wouldve been dissapointed if all they were doing was omega mode

I suspect devs will adjust to this and either hard lock controls, or make motions so easy that it won't matter that much, or both.

Mike Z is ahead of the curve here, he's been designing stuff to foil controls like this.

alstein

I am mostly just worried about Capcom entering the current generation. I wonder if/when it will happen. The company is in a rather sorry state these days, and I am concerned about their future. Another Street Fighter update makes me wonder if they are actually working on a present-gen fighting game.

A port to PS4 would be a cash grab- or maybe they think not enough folks would jump on it to be worth the effort (though they have a PC version so you could port from that).

Another possibility- they're worried their next fighter might not catch the same lightning SF4 did, and are afraid a SF4 port would cannabilize sales. Might hurt if they're trying to build a new franchise.

I wonder if SNK was thinking the same thing with the UM games- a bit afraid that Americans especially would reject XIII on PC if they released the UMs too early. Then again, comparing SNK to Capcom in terms of thinking is like comparing TNA to WWE.

Top Bottom