• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Why isn't that a regular blanka move, why doesn't he have a move where digs through the ground like an animal. Just make it super unsafe or something .

Well technically if the electricity is grounded if you're underground so how that works is beyond me. But I'm not going to question the logic or physics of a game which let's you throw plasma balls.
....just saying.

Wow that announcer in GUTS3 is a serious hype killer.
Going on Killer Instinct if anyone wants to play :)

I suspect devs will adjust to this and either hard lock controls, or make motions so easy that it won't matter that much, or both.

Mike Z is ahead of the curve here, he's been designing stuff to foil controls like this.

that or tournies start banning anything outside of a typical hitbox/gamepad/6/8 button arcade stick

OceanBlue

I can't even imagine how you would program a game to prevent this. As far as I know, the game just sees it as an extra directional input, right? A game wouldn't know whether it came from a joystick or a button.

that or tournies start banning anything outside of a typical hitbox/gamepad/6/8 button arcade stick

Lol, this leads to so many arguments though. Why allow hitboxes but not allow a stick with a button mapped to up? It's pretty much the same as mapping an extra button to select IMO.

Edit: Wait, is the problem that he had 10 buttons or something?

I can't even imagine how you would program a game to prevent this. As far as I know, the game just sees it as an extra directional input, right? A game wouldn't know whether it came from a joystick or a button.

Lol, this leads to so many arguments though. Why allow hitboxes but not allow a stick with a button mapped to up? It's pretty much the same as mapping an extra button to select IMO.

guess that's true.

alstein

Is current version of USFIV 1.02 or 1.03? I think it's 1.03 but not sure.

Only allow one input to one button or one joystick direction, don't allow any multiple button inputs period. Any button not part of the 4 directions or 6 buttons is autodisabled.

OceanBlue

Only allow one input to one button or one joystick direction, don't allow any multiple button inputs period. Any button not part of the 4 directions or 6 buttons is autodisabled.

How will the game detect if you have a stick wired in a way that two buttons register as select? From the console's perspective, all it sees is the select input regardless of which button you press, right? I don't think the console can tell when you have extra buttons or even that you're using buttons.

mbpm1

BOqma96.png

lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Omega Mode will gain pretty much no traction. All of these "hey look, more BS!" modes are novelties that wear off super quick, and I don't see most touching them after a month at absolute maximum, especially not the player base currently that will not bother to relearn a second balance set, and presumably even less effort balancing it than Ultra proper. It's fun to dick around in, like the arcade mode mini games.

I also think it's dumb when people assume the effort that goes into these things is practically zero "so why not", especially when there are so many new animations, janky or not. Seems like a frequent occurrence that people equate any developer work to being a snap of a finger though.

Dahbomb

The reason why this mode exists is that most of the SF4 team doesn't have anything better to do. The people who handle the animations are different from those who handle the balancing and the bug fixes. Those people weren't doing much so they probably used that time to make this mode instead while the balancing/bug fix guys worked on the actual important stuff.

It reeks of poor utilization of development teams but then again this is par for the course for Capcpcom. Give the players what they never asked for instead of giving them what they want.

There is absolutely nothing wrong this mode in a vacuum and I personally think it's very cool/fun. But nothing exists in a vacuum... if something got made then that means that something else didn't get made. In this case this means that less time/effort was put into SFV although I guess many people are arguing that this is a test bed for new stuff to be put in SFV/next Capcom game.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I think Omega Mode will gain pretty much no traction. All of these "hey look, more BS!" modes are novelties that wear off super quick, and I don't see most touching them after a month at absolute maximum, especially not the player base currently that will not bother to relearn a second balance set, and presumably even less effort balancing it than Ultra proper. It's fun to dick around in, like the arcade mode mini games.

I also think it's dumb when people assume the effort that goes into these things is practically zero "so why not", especially when there are so many new animations, janky or not. Seems like a frequent occurrence that people equate any developer work to being a snap of a finger though.

No one ever talked about Edition Select because Capcom stupidly made it offline only though. And considering that it's not just a mode but the improved Edition Select made for online as well, some characters might actually benefit from it while whoever doesn't like it can just stick with the USF4 version of their character in a match.

Dahbomb

Edition select now includes Omega characters which pretty much means that the strongest characters are probably going to be Omega characters.

Dahbomb

Technically if we used the full name of this new SF4 version it would be:

Ultra Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition 2014 Omega version

alstein

How will the game detect if you have a stick wired in a way that two buttons register as select? From the console's perspective, all it sees is the select input regardless of which button you press, right? I don't think the console can tell when you have extra buttons or even that you're using buttons.

you don't allow select to do anything, it's only SF4 that has this problem anyways.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Edition select now includes Omega characters which pretty much means that the strongest characters are probably going to be Omega characters.

I would guess that as well, I'm just telling him that since it's not a separate mode, people that want to stick to USF4 balancing can still do that.

Honestly, they should have just saved Omega mode for next year and released it as Ultra Street Fighter IV: Omega for $20.

Would you see yourself paying for that?

OceanBlue

you don't allow select to do anything, it's only SF4 that has this problem anyways.

Select was just an example. Just replace select with any other input and you still have the same problem.

Issue is likely too baked into the input system to bother wasting time fixing it. Just get it right in next gen.

Unless you allow the game to scan and "intelligently" discard inputs, I don't see how you can prevent people from binding two things to one input.

I just started playing Game Dev Story on my iphone and named my company Capcpom for shits and giggles.

Then I started doing a rotation of sequels every year because I'm too lazy to figure out other combinations that work, all my employees underperform, and my fans hate me because I constantly make the same games and I realize that I hate my games too because I don't even give them names anymore.

It all hit a bit too close to home but fortunately NG+ has been pretty productive

OceanBlue

The problem is not the physical inputs but how the engine interprets the inputs.

Lol probably. If I understand what's going on Tokido is inputting up with a button while already inputting up on his stick? I don't know how controller inputs work, but if it's anything like a keyboard, the console should receive release signals so it's weird that this can happen.

If I had a Facebook, this would be my status:
I'm shit at Killer Instnict

God damn. Lag. Terrible inputs and dropped combos. Getting beat stupidity. I swear this Cronus has delay or something because I don't have any Shadow Counter coming out. Damn I'm rusty as hell. Looking forward to Season 2 and getting a fresh start on learning this game again. Did anyone else have to go through the bullshit of learning a game they like again on stick?

Too anime

But Oni's Ultra isn't?

jbug617

Banned
I think Omega has the chance to pick up because of new moves. I think tournaments should run team tournaments using Omega. That will make it hype.

Also I don't think it was posted but the next Curleh Mustache is a Battle Royale at NEC

Malice215

There's a few places that already run edition select tournaments. I'm sure we'll see more of them with the way these Omega changes are looking. Why can't the standard game look just as fun?

I really hope they don't do a Team Cali again... it's so lame when they stack up a team like that. Just do team Socal and team Norcal.

That would depend on whether 5 from SoCal and 5 from NorCal show up to NEC.

Guys, I found what Yun is getting for his Omega edition changes!

Yun Omega Changes:

Now Is able to build meter by wiffing normals ala 3rd strike

His super bar is change to the size of what is Genji Jin Super Art was in 3rd strike

Both of his Ultras are are changed into his Genji Jin Super Art and is able to combo into it like his Super Genji Jin

He gains the ability to parry from 3rd strike

His health has been increased to 1300

Yun Omega Changes:

His super bar is change to the size of what is Genji Jin Super Art was in 3rd strike

Both of his Ultras are are changed into his Genji Jin Super Art and is able to combo into it like his Super Genji Jin

Does it have the sound effect, tho?

Dahbomb

I never want to go back to meter whiff giving meter ever again. Keep that shit locked up in the dark ages of fighting games.

I don't care how kusoge or intentionally broken a game is supposed to be.

Uraizen

Banned

Yun Omega Changes:

I wish.

Just give this to everybody and make every dash and walk insanely fast.

Top Bottom