• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

FSLink

Banned
They should have really added more of the TvC Capcom side to Marvel 3. Roll would have been fun with water bucket assist and DHC healing. Saki would have been great too.

Seyavesh

anime? nah bro we don't play that game

cuz

ibvRUnwjgZZGHp.gif

You know who's really good at selling their game (who's pretty damn anime?), but not as anime?

Riot Games and League of Legends.

So it's really anime right? Well yes League is super anime, but for their LCS (what their is league is called) this is what it looks like.

You know what that reminds you of?

Even though League of Legends is a very anime game, they don't market it as anime. So how does it turn out?

That's a company that "gets it." The hardcore league fan is super anime and is probably all wearing their plushie hat or w/e it's called in the front row with their homemade signs. But you also have plenty of non anime people at the event. They are getting the best of both worlds. And really that's what I hope EVO can do.

But they don't turn their tournaments into an anime convention. And that's how they get people like me to watch/play even though I myself am not anime.

Does Riot market their game alot? I have never seen a commercial personally, or an ad on a website. I always thought it just grew from the ground up and word of mouth and just tons of people play and that is were the growth wcomes from and Riot just grooms and takes care of it correctly and nurtures it.

We have had this conversation before, but fighters will never get that big venue wise/prize wise, unless the player base grows, alot.

I don't think all the marketing in the world will do that. The fire will needs to start from the ground up just from the player base. I don't think massive marketing will push a fighting game like that. It has to start from the grassroots and people just wanting to play. It's not passive like a movie or something where maybe marketing can "bully" something into financial success in spite of it's appeal or quality.

Westlo

Speaking of Xrd... why's the soundtrack so shit compared to CP.... Daisuke Ishiwatari you dun goofed up. Seriously the new character + new rival themes alone (well the remixes weren't by Daisuke anyway) > all of Xrd...

Fighting games as we know them will never get LoL big. The 1v1 aspect is too raw of an experience for most gamers.

I think it's more that very few people are willing to actually spend the hours in training mode to understand and play them in a competent manner. The average traditional fighter requires too much investment to get to the meat of the game.

It's very telling when many fighting game personal streams avoid streaming practice in training mode because it's boring. If it's boring to show, then what does that say about people using the mode in the first place?

Dahbomb

It's not exactly easy to get into a MOBA either. Probably one of the tougher genres to get above average at. I have seen so many people play these games for months and they still suck.

There is just a colossal amount of information one has to learn to be competent. People complain about match ups when they have to deal with a 1v1 fighter with 40 characters, imagine the variables in a 5v5 team based game with 120+ characters.

These games are also impossible to learn while watching someone play where as most fighters are easier to grasp by just watching.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
People also ignore the nature of our events vs theirs. Fighting game tournaments are typically open entry vs closed circuit esports events. Fighting game tournaments are also a lot more participatory as well vs strictly being spectator events.

The easy answer is that the game generates alot of money and Riot is able to spend alot more on production values for their events as a result, but there's a bunch of huge differences between how the events themselves are run as well.

but I mean WesternHeretic's post was really just a thinly veiled complaint about "anime" (the definition of which he seems to extend to be representative of any and all nerd culture) so I'm not sure talking about any of this is really worth it

petghost

Banned
These games are also impossible to learn while watching someone play where as most fighters are easier to grasp by just watching.

yeah, i dont know much about MOBAs as a genre but i always thought it was strange how much they blew up considering how complex they are and how much there is to know before you understand what you are seeing. fighting games seem like they would be much more intuitive for a new viewer to get a handle on ie: these two characters want to hit eachother and deplete the other persons health bar. in a moba there are resources and leveling up etc.

also i heard they are doing a danganronpa stage show which im pretty psyched about.

The only thing I have to say to Westernheretic is this, the Seahawks aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year. But they will be in it, and it will be a rematch of the one from just 7 months ago(and two days ago). Mark it down Animeheretic.

Dahbomb

Because when you lose in a MOBA you can pass the blame on to others. Furthermore you can be carried to a win in a MOBA.

In addition, getting good at MOBAs is a matter of experience rather than execution skill. A lot of the execution requirement of MOBAs is doable by most gamers, that's not what holds people back... it's knowing when to do what and doing it across a long period of time. That pretty much means that 0 time is spent in some training mode practicing how to hit your skills... your practice is done through playing actual games.

Let's compare playing something like Zeus in DOTA 2 vs playing Ryu in SF4. With Zeus you just press a button then left click on a target... anyone who has used a computer can do that. And that's his TOUGHEST skill to use. With Ryu his toughest move would be QCF x 2 Three buttons. That's a big difference in basic execution requirement between two games.

Westlo

It's not exactly easy to get into a MOBA either. Probably one of the tougher genres to get above average at. I have seen so many people play these games for months and they still suck.

There is just a colossal amount of information one has to learn to be competent. People complain about match ups when they have to deal with a 1v1 fighter with 40 characters, imagine the variables in a 5v5 team based game with 120+ characters.

It's never your fault when you lose (dragged down by the other randoms) but when you win it's all you baby (carrying these noobs lol). /MOBA

Pretty much being able to shift blame and take undue credit is a big factor in why it's so much more popular than fighting games. I realize the team games are different but the average casual gamer doesn't apply to that anyway.

vocab

yeah, i dont know much about MOBAs as a genre but i always thought it was strange how much they blew up considering how complex they are and how much there is to know before you understand what you are seeing. fighting games seem like they would be much more intuitive for a new viewer to get a handle on ie: these two characters want to hit eachother and deplete the other persons health bar. in a moba there are resources and leveling up etc.

League is babies first dota. That's why it exploded. It stripped all complexity from dota, and became its own thing.

Dahbomb

Babies first DOTA is Heroes of the Storm. HotS makes LoL look complex and daunting.

It's going to be really interesting to see how that does. That game is actively trying to by pass some of the problems of the MOBA genre (emphasis on last hitting, player feeding/snowballing, long games, complex itemizations).

LoL exploded in popularity because it came out at the right time. Back then you had DOTA 1 in a very shitty state... it was basically a mod with non existent match making services. LoL used the DOTA formula and applied a match making service without problems of hacking/cheats. Instant success. Honestly that's why I tried LoL to begin with because I had been fed up with DOTA 1's problems. Then I heard DOTA 2 was coming out and never looked back (because I was never really impressed with LoL) but those who played LoL got addicted and stuck with it.

petran79

Banned

Same goes for sports games. My friend plays pes and fifa for years.
He was invited to play 3 matches im pes2013 against a member of a tournament team. That team was placed top10 in world tournaments with money. They try to recruit members this way.

He lost first match 9-0 and the rest 5-1. He was rejected. He said that guy knew moves and tactics unknown to him and couldnt be beaten. There was nothing he could do.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PC games are easily to pick up and play. You already have a keyboard and mouse, plus kids these days would rather sit their asses in front of a computer instead of going outside and play tag.
Fighting games still have this huge stigma where you need a joystick to become good. When I play people offline they always complain I'm only winning because I'm using a joystick until I prove to them otherwise.
And the whole kids playing minecraft thing is true. All of my nieces and nephews do and on various platforms.

It's never your fault when you lose (dragged down by the other randoms) but when you win it's all you baby (carrying these noobs lol). /MOBA

Pretty much being able to shift blame and take undue credit is a big factor in why it's so much more popular than fighting games. I realize the team games are different but the average casual gamer doesn't apply to that anyway.

Applies to team based fps as well. And why quake and the like fell off, IMO.

Dahbomb

LoL is also free to play and playable on a toaster of a computer. Literally, if you are talking on this forum right now you can easily play LoL with absolutely no investment of any kind. No fighting game has that amount of approachability.

NEO0MJ

That theme needs to come back.

I forgot how much I used to love her theme.

LoL is also free to play and playable on a toaster of a computer. Literally, if you are talking on this forum right now you can easily play LoL with absolutely no investment of any kind. No fighting game has that amount of approachability.

That's true. Skullgirls can work with most PCs but it's Skullgirls so it'll never be popular. Still, most 2D fighting games seem to work fine on weaker devices.

Marz

Street Fighter having 40+ characters is a big reason for it maintaining its popularity over the years IMO.

so r/kappa just started a fundraising campaign to send pepeday to the fall classic.

http://www.youcaring.com/other/help-get-fgc-pepeday-to-tfc-capcom-cup-2014-/238097

Wow, and just two days ago I just said nobody needs to worry about this guy because we won't see him outside of Japan lol. It looks like they will hit their goal, they're awfully close now. If Pepeday can win TFC, then yeah, everybody from Jwong to Infiltration better start brushing up on the Fuerte match up. I plan on attending so maybe I'll get a chance to meet him there.

OceanBlue

Wow, and just two days ago I just said nobody needs to worry about this guy because we won't see him outside of Japan lol. It looks like they will hit their goal, they're awfully close now. If Pepeday can win TFC, then yeah, everybody from Jwong to Infiltration better start brushing up on the Fuerte match up. I plan on attending so maybe I'll get a chance to meet him there.

Lol, didn't he win a free trip to Evo from the TGS tournament? Anyway I think if he ends up confirmed for TFC, iPeru and Spabrog are going to be pretty popular people for a little while. :V

Top Bottom