• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

mbpm1

So I tried messing around with a game I tried out when I was a kid, Samurai Shodown. Just going against the AI.

This...seems really hard. Maybe because i'm playing on emulator (and therefore keyboard).

petghost

Banned
So I tried messing around with a game I tried out when I was a kid, Samurai Shodown. Just going against the AI.

This...seems really hard. Maybe because i'm playing on emulator (and therefore keyboard).

you should try samsho 2 or samsho 5 special.

5 special is pretty fucking rad.

alstein

5SP is one of my fav games of all time, despite the weird, stupid motions a few chars had.

A new Samsho is one of the few new fighters I'd actually get hype over anymore.

5SP is one of my fav games of all time, despite the weird, stupid motions a few chars had.

A new Samsho is one of the few new fighters I'd actually get hype over anymore.

Even if it ends up looking like this?
Samurai+Spirits+kengou+-N2G-1.png

phaonaut

Not sure if this is old, but Mago interview some of the Japanese sf4 players.
http://pastebin.com/4QdH21Lq
Loved the excerpt.

Mago: So yeah, [hiding buttons] happens when you play with international players. But Sanford had the opposite idea. He intentionally SHOWS his hands in the open. That’s the reason he sits so up close to the monitor. So what he did was… well, before that, he always sits on 1P side. He sat there and angled his chair toward me, making a position where I can see [his hands]. When I sat on my side, inevitably his hands are in my line of sight. Then during the match, I knocked him down, right? So I went to go for some oki mixup, but I see him insanely wiggling and mashing his stick. (making the CLICK CLICK CLICK noise)

Bonchan: He was like, I’M MASHING NOW. (laugh)

Mago: Yeah, and I was startled. It scared the hell out of me, so I aborted my oki [and tried to block], but then he just grabbed me. I was like, what is wrong with this guy. You guys would hardly have noticed it from just looking at a tape. He got me with that like 5 times in a row, and I thought “This guy doesn’t play fair”.

Tokido: Ah, so that’s where you’re coming from. [I’m surprised to see] there are people employing such dirty conducts. But I guess players overseas are used to that kind of stuff. Just the other occasion I played Wolfkrone, he was doing this (swinging arms) and almost hit my face with his elbow.

Loved the excerpt.

The stick I have makes a lot of noise so I was actually thinking of doing something similar if I ever used it in a local match with someone (but I've given up on stick so that will never happen).

It is an impressive mind game though, because if your opponent picks up on it it will influence their behaviour.

BadWolf

Tokido: Ah, so that’s where you’re coming from. [I’m surprised to see] there are people employing such dirty conducts. But I guess players overseas are used to that kind of stuff. Just the other occasion I played Wolfkrone, he was doing this (swinging arms) and almost hit my face with his elbow.

That's really something coming from him lol.

NEO0MJ

It's one thing to play with a cheap character, but it's completely different than someone trying to physically obstruct you.

It wasn't like he was blocking the screen or bumping him, he just made sure Mago could see his hands. If anything Mago is the cheater because he couldn't resist staring at Kelly's magnificent hands.

Nyoro SF

I mash on empty buttons all the time loudly when I play certain fighters. I make sure the other player can hear too. It does work in a few circumstances but most people proceed with their mixups anyway lol

OceanBlue

It wasn't like he was blocking the screen or bumping him, he just made sure Mago could see his hands. If anything Mago is the cheater because he couldn't resist staring at Kelly's magnificent hands.

Lol. That's just the difference between people who are used to playing head-to-head setups and people who are used to playing side-to-side setups. They even mention it:

Tokido: Yeah, even though a lot of people might not be aware of it, you inevitably use the sound your opponent is making, to some extent, as a cue to your advantage when you play side-by-side. Given that, silent buttons and pads are beneficial.

Mago: The reason I use silent buttons is I hate bringing the “reading” and “strategies” outside of the game. Like, pretending doing something you’re not going to do or faking out your moves… Players [like Sanford] seem to know how to incorporate them into their games, but I’m not really good at doing them. So as long as my button sounds are not giving the other players some clues for my actions, it’s good enough for me.

There were couple tournaments which went with head-to-head setups in the past year IIRC. I wonder if people are warming up to the idea.

Loved the excerpt.

This one is also great

Kazunoko: No, but his reactions were on point. He uppercutted my dive kicks right through. But I could afford going aggressive on him because I already had a win. And well, I won. After the match Ryan and I had a conversation, and he told me he should’ve picked Sagat from the start. He thought Sagat got nerfed so much that Ryu was a better option. Then he started rambling on about how great Bonchan is, even though I didn’t even ask him…

Bonchan: Well, well, well. I won’t blame him. (laughs)

Shouta

Why is it so expensive to go to TFC? ;_;

Nemo asked me if I was going so i could help pepeday out but at the cost it'd be better just to fly him out to NWM instead, lol.

Sayad

Cost of additional equipment matters for a scene without large funding.
Then just run the main stage setup like that. If smaller scenes like that Taiwan tourney and Shadowlo Showdown can do it, it shouldn't be a problem for US majors.

PureYeti

Man ps all-stars dead already. Guess plus didn't do anything for it.
Also supercade shutting down? Have not seen it reported anywhere

Aw man supercade will be shut down? I can already tell he lost interest in updating it. I remember I was supporting when it was 2dfighter

Wiseblade

I struggle to motivate myself in training mode at times, too. Most of the stuff I'd look to practice with Fuerte are run-stop loops and mixups, which aren't satisfying to try on a training dummy. Which leads to treating online lobbies as training mode. Which leads to some really frustrating losses.

Top Bottom