• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

It's actually super interesting to read comments on how people think, or what people think should be in Evo.

(In Mr. Burns Voice) INNNNNNNNNNNNTERESTING!

You should hold EVO grand finals at Encore Beach Club. I also want black jack tables near the big screen.

Have VIP seating area with bottle service.

The Light

Man ps all-stars dead already. Guess plus didn't do anything for it.
Also supercade shutting down? Have not seen it reported anywhere

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's actually super interesting to read comments on how people think, or what people think should be in Evo.

It seems like the same stuff every year though. Give each of the big communities at least one representative unless attendance is absolutely abysmal.

Time to stop watching MVC3 matches then.
Well, I haven't watched pools in a long ass time, that's for sure. Pretty much just tune in for Top 8s and exhibitions for SF4 and Marvel. It's not just the games that are doing this though, not watching and playing more (or being more productive) has also been a godsend.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Locks: Ultra Ultimate KI  MKX

The shoe ins: UNIB Xrd BBCP P4U2

Melee vs Sm4sh: This one is a doozy... gonna be a tough call and im glad im not the one that has to make it. i think its best left up to the smash community. i personally lean in favor of sm4sh and seeing how it goes (give it a chance at least) but i can definitely see the argument for just running melee.

The questionables: TTT2 KOF ST (IMO these shouldnt have full tourneys but should have featured exhibitions on sunday with top level players)

Side tourney status for sure: Dengeki AH3 Love max

Sayah

I would ask you to put TTT2 in EVO 2015 main lineup but considering the fact the game had the lowest entrants out of any of the main featured games this year, it would feel wrong to insist on adding that game. I would still be happy to be surprised. And it's not like DoA5, VF5FS, or SCV are going to perform any better as far as tournament entries go.

Why is the superior fighting game sub-genre underappreciated by the masses? >_>

Kumubou

Where the hell is this noise about Super Arcade closing coming from? Not that it's hard to believe, but throwing around rumors like that without a good source and some reasoning isn't very nice. Name confusion, OK that makes more sense.

Locks: Ultra Ultimate KI  MKX

The shoe ins: UNIB Xrd BBCP P4U2

Melee vs Sm4sh: This one is a doozy... gonna be a tough call and im glad im not the one that has to make it. i think its best left up to the smash community. i personally lean in favor of sm4sh and seeing how it goes (give it a chance at least) but i can definitely see the argument for just running melee.

The questionables: TTT2 KOF ST (IMO these shouldnt have full tourneys but should have featured exhibitions on sunday with top level players)

Side tourney status for sure: Dengeki AH3 Love max
I would throw Xrd in the lock status myself, it's the ArcSys game that's going to get by far the biggest push here. I think KI isn't a lock, but it's a good bet, especially if Microsoft is going to keep supporting it. And are you really going to pick four anime games and debate over SSB4 or SSBM? Nintendo is going to make that one easy -- the real question is if it should be SSB4 or both SSB4 and SSBM. That to me would be a question of turnout and logistics.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Building a new pc. :)

Rent the biggest venue. 5 main games, every other game on the side. Multiple streams, two shifts of commentators. Everybody is happy. Except for Kimbo. He's never happy.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Where the hell is this noise about Super Arcade closing coming from? Not that it's hard to believe, but throwing around rumors like that without a good source and some reasoning isn't very nice. Name confusion, OK that makes more sense.

I would throw Xrd in the lock status myself, it's the ArcSys game that's going to get by far the biggest push here. I think KI isn't a lock, but it's a good bet, especially if Microsoft is going to keep supporting it. And are you really going to pick four anime games and debate over SSB4 or SSBM? Nintendo is going to make that one easy -- the real question is if it should be SSB4 or both SSB4 and SSBM. That to me would be a question of turnout and logistics.

yeah i think i agree. they would have to do melee in two days tho i think....smash top 8s take a long ass time and two of them would be overkill i think. im thinkin melee on fri sat smash 4 on sat sun...

almost as bad as cvs2 was...lol

smurfx

get some go again
I need to do this, my pc is from almost 8 years ago
i often feel like building a new pc but then i remember that i don't really play pc games. the game i do play is rtcw et and that doesn't need a powerful pc to run. i started playing quake live recently and my pc runs it just fine.

Building a new pc. :)

Rent the biggest venue. 5 main games, every other game on the side. Multiple streams, two shifts of commentators. Everybody is happy. Except for Kimbo. He's never happy.

Building a PC is fun. I built two last year, and it can be a bit frustrating (the second one was at least) but enjoyable.

Also, Kadey, with ideas like that you should head up Evo.

and lol @ the Kimbo comment.

Sayah

I played Smash today as well. I don't know how any of these people are playing without a GC controller. Controls were a complete mess for me on 3DS. Game looks BEAUTIFUL though. Streaming/videos don't do much justice. Have to see it up close.

Essay

Well, if I have your ear, hear me out: anime games (as in, plural).

They attract all the big personalities who are still playing for the adrenaline, and damn the players get heated. I've been body-checked out of my chair after knocking someone out of tournament with some dirty-ass stuff in +R, and Mr. Biscuits was going off today about a player in top-8 flipping out and forfeiting after his burst was baited in back-to-back matches at GUTS 3 this weekend. There are so many ways to disrespect and show-up someone in these games, and it makes for hella drama and storytelling, just like we saw on stage with CP in July. These games take a toll on the players, and it's glorious.

Then you've got the fact the games like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and UNIEL actually do a good job at making multiple character archetypes viable and mixing things up on a regular basis. There's so much mouth-watering asymmetry to be had, without all the disbalance that makes a lot of the other match-up-heavy games predictable.

Xrd is an absolutely safe bet for a featured game next year. It has all of the above going for it, and its eye-candy is off the charts for the casual spectators. UNIEL looks like another safe bet for all of the same reasons (minus the visuals), with the added bonus of pitting a different pool of experienced players against each other on a new front, who bring entirely different approaches to what is looking like a very flexible game. I'd call BlazBlue a question mark with the new patch on the horizon, and, if it's not perfect, it'll probably lose players to the former two, but who knows. If its patch works out, the scene will be keen to out-do this year's showing next year. P4U is the only I'd shy away from at this point for reasons of disbalance-giving-way-to-predictability.

It's still mad early though and none of this really matters yet. Just keep that interest sustained, MrWizard, and I'm sure it'll be clear that anime deserves more slots come this winter.

Azure J

Sagat and Faust are actually really good analogies for Pac-Man based on how this guy's playing the character. There is just too much shit on screen when Pac goes off.

Well, if I have your ear, hear me out: anime games (as in, plural).

They attract all the big personalities who are still playing for the adrenaline, and damn the players get heated. I've been body-checked out of my chair after knocking someone out of tournament with some dirty-ass stuff in +R, and Mr. Biscuits was going off today about a player in top-8 flipping out and forfeiting after his burst was baited in back-to-back matches at GUTS 3 this weekend. There are so many ways to disrespect and show-up someone in these games, and it makes for hella drama and storytelling, just like we saw on stage with CP in July. These games take a toll on the players, and it's glorious.

Then you've got the fact the games like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and UNIEL actually do a good job at making multiple character archetypes viable and mixing things up on a regular basis. There's so much mouth-watering asymmetry to be had, without all the disbalance that makes a lot of the other match-up-heavy games predictable.

Xrd is an absolutely safe bet for a featured game next year. It has all of the above going for it, and its eye-candy is off the charts for the casual spectators. UNIEL looks like another safe bet for all of the same reasons (minus the visuals), with the added bonus of pitting a different pool of experienced players against each other on a new front, who bring entirely different approaches to what is looking like a very flexible game. I'd call BlazBlue a question mark with the new patch on the horizon, and, if it's not perfect, it'll probably lose players to the former two, but who knows. If its patch works out, the scene will be keen to out-do this year's showing next year. P4U is the only I'd shy away from at this point for reasons of disbalance-giving-way-to-predictability.

It's still mad early though and none of this really matters yet. Just keep that interest sustained, MrWizard, and I'm sure it'll be clear that anime deserves more slots come this winter.

Anime also guarantees that FG will never go mainstream. Just saying...

I know ESPN had something with DOTA2 right? That will never happen with anime. Anime will be niche and will remain to be forever. EVO will never be trending worldwide during anime portions. You're also never going to catch the "casual" audience either.

Well MK is probably your best bet with the random casual guy... and I hate MK. Just speaking the truth.

Azure J

I don't know man, when Justin won UMVC3 that was getting some nice activity on Twitter.

ibppfeZg9Qg5wP.png

You do when there's nothing within walking distance of the hotel.

Yeah, the Westgate was pretty far out of the way. After Evo finals me and my dad went to go on that monorail and went down to the Paris, but still, sometimes I'm just tired and want to have easy access to food when I'm tired

Top Bottom