• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

I'm not opposed to training mode, but most of my barriers in tournaments come from actual player skill and less from their character. It's that that I need to work on.

And lmao @ Sanford. Some dude got mad at me at EVO because I looked at his hands when I was going for a TAC in Marvel.

Him: "Were you looking at my hands?"
Me: "Yeah."
Him: *sarcastic/angry tone* "Well maybe NEXT time you should be less obvious about it."

Marz

SF4 is accessible at a basic casual level (ignoring Ultras/Focuses/Specials) that plays like an updated non-Turbo SF2. The issue comes once you start trying to access the newer mechanics - the FAs the double-motion Ultras, and the FADCs, Learning the game quickly escalates to a point where it requires both time investment and reflexes that may not be available in the player. They're aware of the issues here, and its why SFxT experimented with having chains and explicitly didn't use double-motion Supers.

They implemented RFCs in part for their effect on lower-level play, allowing players to more easily hit their Ultras, since the hit-stop and crumple gives far more time and requires far less execution than the FADC Ultra that even the pros drop semi-regularly (the EG Special.)

The control scheme for FGs is a massive hurdle for people- modern games don't play like them. I have a buddy who played MK back in the arcades years back, and when introduced to MvC3, was flummoxed at the QCF/DP motions because he hadn't seen them before. The control scheme in and of itself is a real barrier to entry all on its own, and even if you're not aware of that, Capcom definitely is. There's a reason MvC3/BB have a beginner mode. Why MvC3 has a magic series. Why P4A has auto-combos. Why SFxT has chains. They're trying to get as much of the fun stuff as accessible as possible to as many people as possible without breaking the game. And it's actively hard to do, and I don't envy their position.

You may not think this is important - but it really is. Casual non-competitive players make up the vast majority of sales, and sales are what provide the funds for future game development. The more the games are accessible to a casual audience, the higher the sales potential, which helps grow the business/scene. Yes, it's basically impossible for the games to hit LoL-tier because of the "run on a toaster" thing. That's perfectly fine. But it doesn't mean that you just "develop for the hardcore" and make the games only for your hardcore, because that's the path to a slow, inbred, death.

I've seen you say several times that Capcom introduced RFC to help ease of execution for Ultras.

I would like to see a quote or something alluding to this because from everything I've seen RFC was implemented to open up new combo possibilities. Namely giving the charge characters a way to land their ultras and the grapplers. Nothing to do with execution.

Wiseblade

I'm not opposed to training mode, but most of my barriers in tournaments come from actual player skill and less from their character. It's that that I need to work on.

And lmao @ Sanford. Some dude got mad at me at EVO because I looked at his hands when I was going for a TAC in Marvel.

Him: "Were you looking at my hands?"
Me: "Yeah."
Him: *sarcastic/angry tone* "Well maybe NEXT time you should be less obvious about it."

To be fair, it's kind of something you shouldn't be
caught
doing.

PitifulOrganicAdouri.gif

Loving the amount of dangerous heavies in 4. Bowser is obviously all the rage now, but seeing DK and Dedede kick arse is lovely.

Surprised by the quality of the Pac-Man play in that Japanese tournament earlier today. Bonus Fruit seems like a really good keep-away move, it hits a lot harder than I was expecting.

Not sure if this is old, but Mago interview some of the Japanese sf4 players.
http://pastebin.com/4QdH21Lq
Loved the excerpt.

Ahahahaha

Anyone see the new DBZ XV trailer? It looks like a fanfic made flesh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgU26GDeZk

Wow, I honestly have a boner.

I can't wait for the game to get more fleshed out and played better on wiiu

Smash 4 is what brawl should have been

But then we wouldn't have Project M TUBRO!

I'll still take the cart off you.

Really good write up. Thanks

Kimosabae

Banned
No, as in reading what they're gonna do. It's why I play online instead of Training Mode now. Well, before Destiny, at least.

You don't make "reads" on a player's "skill" you make reads on their tactics and strategems. Both of which can be nurtured in training mode and constitute a skill set. I think you're selling yourself short, but I'm just a mindless Viper player.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That gif is gonna get old real fast I can already tell

Top Bottom