• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Dreamhack Austin [CPT Premier event] [04/28-04/30]

peter0611

Nice to see the parade of Karins out in full force. If only Mago was here.

Anyways, I think either Xian or Punk takes this tournament with Haitani as the dark horse.
I'm actually afraid for Punk if he faces Xian. He really struggled against the basic left\right mixup when playing vs Momochi's Ibuki, despite winning the set. But Xian is THE Ibuki and you can guarantee the guy has some dirty tech. Hope Punk's been studying that character.

Ninjimbo

I agree that Xian can be a problem for Punk but the flip side is: has Xian faced a Karin that aggressive? One of the reasons why I love watching Punk play is that his execution is world class and hardly ever misses. If Punk gets rolling, I don't think Ibuki is equipped to hold him off.

Xian is vulnerable to aggressive players. At ELEAGUE he got beat by Tokido and Fuudo and almost gave one up to Wolfkrone.

trixx

Good top 8s all around, will likely watch all, though likely that Hbox will win Melee.

Xian vs Punk would be a fantastic matchup and would probably decide who's top atm. Idk maybe Snake can beat Punk last time it was 3-2 vs his Akuma. I hope he does, I'd like to see him finish top 3

Ninjimbo

I mean, considering at Canada Cup in 2015 he entered SF4 but not VF, that makes it clear which of those was his "main game".
SF is the bigger game with more money in play. VF is niche as fuck and he wouldn't get paid to travel and compete internationally with it. The only reason people know him is because he won an EVO back in the day, and he probably realized he could do more with SF than he ever could with VF. Good on him to concentrate on the game more likely to bankroll his hobby.

I doubt he ever stopped playing VF tho. The last time VF showed up at Evo (2012?) Sega hosted a tournament where he kicked all of our asses while also competing in SF4 and SFxT. He's a machine that will play anything.

Tripon

Yeah I know those times, I was asking whether it will start on time or not.

Ah, only reason why SFV shouldn't start on time is if the players aren't there. Seems like each game has their own area and they're not sharing a main stage, so they're not beholden to a game that runs late.

Kumubou

SF is the bigger game with more money in play. VF is niche as fuck and he wouldn't get paid to travel and compete internationally with it. The only reason people know him is because he won an EVO back in the day, and he probably realized he could do more with SF than he ever could with VF. Good on him to concentrate on the game more likely to bankroll his hobby.

I doubt he ever stopped playing VF tho. The last time VF showed up at Evo (2012?) Sega hosted a tournament where he kicked all of our asses while also competing in SF4 and SFxT. He's a machine that will play anything.
I'm pretty sure he stopped playing it on the regular when Sega stopped doing their Star Player program, which was in 2014 or so? (Sega has been sponsoring players in VF for the better part of 20 years -- it's crazy how ahead of the curve they were with this). He did come to the US for Sega Cup 2013 and 2014 and took everyone's money then, so he was still actively playing then.

I actually got to play him at Sega Cup 2013 and I got bodied. Even playing someone like Itabashi Zangief, it at least felt like I could try to do things and make adjustments (even if I got outplayed most of the time), but playing Fuudo felt like playing a robot specifically designed to just crush people's existences in videogames.

Moral of this story: He's freakishly good in a number of games in a way almost no one else is. Don't forget his multiple national titles in Gunslinger Stratos or his Kaidan rank in Beatmania IIDX.

Tripon

I'm pretty sure he stopped playing it on the regular when Sega stopped doing their Star Player program, which was in 2014 or so? (Sega has been sponsoring players in VF for the better part of 20 years -- it's crazy how ahead of the curve they were with this). He did come to the US for Sega Cup 2013 and 2014 and took everyone's money then, so he was still actively playing then.

I actually got to play him at Sega Cup 2013 and I got bodied. Even playing someone like Itabashi Zangief, it at least felt like I could try to do things and make adjustments (even if I got outplayed most of the time), but playing Fuudo felt like playing a robot specifically designed to just crush people's existences in videogames.

Moral of this story: He's freakishly good in a number of games in a way almost no one else is. Don't forget his multiple national titles in Gunslinger Stratos or his Kaidan rank in Beatmania IIDX.

Yeah, I always seen people argue that Justin Wong is the king of multiple fighting games. If Justin Wong is the king, Fuudo has to be the God.

Tripon

I approve of these Cammy colors.

L8dyHlD.jpg

Also, how the fuck was that a cross up?

Syntsui

So much for Ibuki being broken and only Xian can make her work, literally every other player trying to use her fail miserably and end up using their previous character to prevent elimination.

JayEH

So much for Ibuki being broken and only Xian can make her work, literally every other player trying to use her fail miserably and end up using their previous character to prevent elimination.

almost any character that's said to be broken isn't. where the uriens and boxers at?

Cyrus

Punk is on a warpath right now. Beat Vagabond, Xiao Hai, Daigo, Ricki and now Snake through his run in losers. Funnily enough the only game he's dropped thus far in losers was to Magneto1080p.

He still plays VF and competes in tournaments.

Only 23k watching Dreamhack. I haven't watched a single match man. Never thought I would lose interest in a SF game.

Ninjimbo

Lol, ain't it the truth? I didn't get a chance to play Fuudo but I watched every match of the EVO I attended. We chilled with a few of the Japanese VF players and started talking about the scenes. It was funny when one of the guys compared players in Dragonball terms. He basically told us that if Fuudo was Goku, everybody else were Saibamen. He told us Itazan was like Yamcha.

But yeah, Fuudo is one of my favorites ever. I legitimately think he's some sort of genius because of how good he is at various games.

Top Bottom