• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, that's a great price for her. Instantly pre-ordered!

Eh, I wouldn't say it's a great price... $75 is a great price... But I can stomach $120, taking into account that I'm cutting back on figures next year (2014, bishoujos all the way! whooooooo!), and I don't have anything else coming out in March.

Here's hoping Kotobukiya can manage that same level of quality for release.

oh, I'm sure they will. This isn't Megahouse we're talking about, after all.

chrono01

Eh, I wouldn't say it's a great price... $75 is a great price... But I can stomach $120, taking into account that I'm cutting back on figures next year (2014, bishoujos all the way! whooooooo!), and I don't have anything else coming out in March.

oh, I'm sure they will. This isn't Megahouse we're talking about, after all.
Well "great" considering what I thought it would be, I guess. I was thinking it would be 13,000+ yen.

Kotobukiya is definitely solid regarding their quality control and with a figure this costly I'm sure they'll pay extra love/care to it. She's going to be an incredible showpiece.

She's guaranteed to be EMS only. Gonna pass. If she gets a US release I might reconsider.

I know. :( That's why she's going to be my only figure in March. The paint scheme isn't quite as bad as I initially thought... it was just the shock of seeing it at first when I was expecting blue hair. She looks like Aigis.

I'm kinda surprised AmiAmi hasn't put up the Mara Jade bishoujo yet... but then it also took them like, eight years to put up Chun-Li.

chrono01

i think the price will tank after release. Its too big for most japanese homes and the price + shipping will be dissuading factors.
Possibly, large figures do have a tendency to go on-sale after release but no one can know for sure.

Also, in news to surprise absolutely no one, Olivia is sold out on AmiAmi. They'll likely have more later this tonight or tomorrow when they update.

Labrys

Hmmm, this is something I never thought I'd say, but I think I might stop collecting figures. Tharja's gonna be my last one for a long while.

It's gotten to the point where I look at how much they cost, and while they're very pretty, I just think of other places the money could go, you know? I could put it towards a plane ticket to visit my boyfriend, or computer parts, or a variety of other things. Space is also becoming an issue for me as of late, I simply have no room for any of them.

This is something else I also thought I'd never say, but I think except for my Nendos/Figmas and a few scaled ones I might sell a bunch. Once I sort everything out I'll put up a list of what I'm selling and their conditions.

LiK

Olivia sold out on AmiAmi. I can't even think about it.

Still waiting for Eren to be back in stock on AmiAmi.

Hmmm, this is something I never thought I'd say, but I think I might stop collecting figures. Tharja's gonna be my last one for a long while.

It's gotten to the point where I look at how much they cost, and while they're very pretty, I just think of other places the money could go, you know? I could put it towards a plane ticket to visit my boyfriend, or computer parts, or a variety of other things. Space is also becoming an issue for me as of late, I simply have no room for any of them.

This is something else I also thought I'd never say, but I think except for my Nendos/Figmas and a few scaled ones I might sell a bunch. Once I sort everything out I'll put up a list of what I'm selling and their conditions.

There are some really amazing bishoujos coming out in 2014. I've a problem with space as well so I'm really picky about what figures I intend to buy.

13.8k for Olivia then? Wasn't far off.

Personally I wouldn't spend money on figures that could go elsewhere. I like them a lot, but I wouldn't go without something else for them, like a plane ticket or whatever. That said, there's nothing wrong with only buying one or two a year or even stopping once you run out of space. You could always sell any that you're less attached to now to make space and have a rotating collection instead of expanding. Personally I'm going to run out of space some time in 2014 and will slow down drastically, because I don't want a pile of unopened boxes that I can't enjoy.

Freezasaurus, you gonna be picking up Mara Jade through Amiami or waiting for US release?

He ain't gonna wait :p

RMI

Banned
Personally I wouldn't spend money on figures that could go elsewhere.

This is kind of true for me. My figure spending is up, but it's been at the expense of my other hobbies which i've downsized. The best thing for me has been setting some limit on discretionary funds, $X00 a month that I can use on whatever, and then if I am going to be spending more on figures, I just cut from other areas. I have recovered a lot of money by just not eating out anymore. It used to be a thing that me and my gf enjoyed doing, but we live in a small town and we've been to every place around here tons of times and are kind of sick of them (at least I am). Now instead of dropping $50 on a meal I'll just cook us dinner for a fraction of the cost. I stopped buying so many damn games too, because I realized I wasn't finishing a lot of them. Everyone has a different situation though.

Space is something I can't figure out how to get more of though. I'm considering just moving to a bigger place. My main problem is that I have this baseboard hot water heating that makes it impractical to have shelves up against the wall in most of my apartment. As such I have very little display space. It's a frustration that hopefully I'll solve this summer.

Olivia still at Hobby Search, just managed to grab her despite swearing up and down that I was off the PVC for good...

Fuck, is this what alcoholism or drug addiction is like? At least I admit to having a problem, even though I can't get past stage 2...

Maybe I'm the only one that didn't see it coming, but I certainly didn't expect Olivia to sell out so quickly. Koto pieces don't usually go this fast. Glad I got my order in.

Freezasaurus, you gonna be picking up Mara Jade through Amiami or waiting for US release?

Pffffft. AmiAmi. Normally I'd probably be patient and just wait for it to hit stateside, but dat Mara Jade. If I can get it a month earlier by importing, then that's what I'll do. #NeedItNow

There are some really amazing bishoujos coming out in 2014. I've a problem with space as well so I'm really picky about what figures I intend to buy.

Yeah, I'm gonna be cutting back on figures next year, but that just means I'm going to be all about the bishoujos. Pretty and cheap.

It is far less expensive to get drunk every night.

Depends on what you drink, though. Luckily, I'm a beer guy, but even then that gets expensive if you go for the good stuff.

As for figures, still fighting the urge to order the Bishoujo Chun, Jun, and Ling Xiaoyu...and Nightmare Fuel Miku...

AMUSIX

It is far less expensive to get drunk every night.

I don't know...I find that getting drunk sometimes leads to wild nights of online purchases...

speaking of which, finally unboxed a number of additions to the collection:
whRLAPH.jpg

DogSnMC.jpg

soeMP9G.jpg

CFotjeH.jpg

d32lN5c.jpg

sFxtgMA.jpg

4aOZath.jpg

jeTbC6Y.jpg

kBOiKrP.jpg

L6yMaUy.jpg

ifapIbP.jpg

O875UUc.jpg

29fhkap.jpg

RocBase

Damn awesome collection AMUSIX! Loving the Marvel ones especially.

Hunting. That seems like what people on the east coast here would need to do since it seems like these sites always update in the 1am+ hours. Fortunately I was up just later last night writing a paper that I happened to see him pop up.

I hope my uta pri and kurobas figures wont go as fast though, Id be mad if I couldnt get them (sorry eren).

Though I guess for Eren, there will always be crunchyroll....
Preemptively wishing you good luck fighting over the Kurobas ones lol, did you manage to get the first one? UtaPri's should be fine, you can still preorder the available ones on Amiami I think.

Probably a long shot, but I'm hoping the UtaPri guys get another line of figures but in better costumes...I've seen some of the illustrations and their other getups which are a million times better than what they went with here.

sca2511

I don't know...I find that getting drunk sometimes leads to wild nights of online purchases...

speaking of which, finally unboxed a number of additions to the collection:

This... this is fantastic. Amazing collection and display. Them Premium Formats! Plus that Maleficent ...
AU7Amsc.gif

Bombless

It already exists. There's a sex scene in the Witcher 2 where, if you solve a side-quest in a certain way, a succubus offers sex. At one point during the scene, your character tosses her goat feet over his shoulder. lolololol

You remind me I need to return and finish that game. Well, more like start. I'm in the swamp village at the beginning.

>Order two items from the same store at Mandarake.
>Still shipped in two different boxes with two tracking numbers.
>Mmmkay. Did I get a new guy that thinks cardboard boxes come in one size?

You remind me I need to return and finish that game. Well, more like start. I'm in the swamp village at the beginning.

Get on it. I crushed that shit in dark mode. I see Geralt's abs when I close my eyes. And yet...

It already exists. There's a sex scene in the Witcher 2 where, if you solve a side-quest in a certain way, a succubus offers sex. At one point during the scene, your character tosses her goat feet over his shoulder. lolololol

I never saw this. Lol! 3rd playthrough material.

I have no doubt that fetish is pre-existing, but now it's mine.
What if I'm not joking.

AMUSIX

^ awesome. What shelves? Built into the walls?

Yeah, did a house remodel, built a custom wall for the sideshow figures:
iUMIal.jpg

with storage underneath for the ones not on display:
wEMGNl.jpg

yo, that maleficent is straight dope
Maleficent is truly awesome...unfortunately when I opened mine, she was missing the staff with Diablo that she's supposed to be holding.
DoD1emt.jpg

I've written to Sideshow, and they're trying, but it's been so long since she's been sold out that there's probably nothing they can do.

Mmmm.... Illyana and those sexy goat feet.
ok...this made me laugh....

the figures awesome, though her tail doesn't nest correctly...the axe gets in the way

RMI

Banned
do Aigis's robo-hooves count as goat feet, because if so, I got you beat to that fetish a while back.

Also, AMUSIX your shelves are NICE.

AMUSIX

By the way, I've seen a lot of really nice displays here, and have some similar ones in my office (gotta love Ikea for all that) but a decorator gave me a bit of advice once that I applied in my Sideshow shelves:

If you have a big collection, it's best to display only a few of the items at a time. It allows each item to stand out more, and, because you can swap things regularly, it keeps it much more interesting for anyone viewing them.*

When I started to design the shelves, I was trying to figure out a way to display dozens of figures, but after her suggestion, I ended up with this design that's able to show 10-15, and storing the rest, and it really has made a difference. I do find people are more interested in them, they look better, the figures all breathe more, and, when rearranging, I get to do little 'themed' sections over and over. I'd just say it's one of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten on collecting (which I seem to do a bit of). Plus things get dusted more often as I rearrange.

So, yeah, design shelves and displays with out-of-sight storage in mind, and don't try to put everything out at once.

*plus you don't look like as big of a freak as we are

Damn awesome collection AMUSIX! Loving the Marvel ones especially.

Preemptively wishing you good luck fighting over the Kurobas ones lol, did you manage to get the first one? UtaPri's should be fine, you can still preorder the available ones on Amiami I think.

Probably a long shot, but I'm hoping the UtaPri guys get another line of figures but in better costumes...I've seen some of the illustrations and their other getups which are a million times better than what they went with here.

Oh yeah I got Kuroko in time (from nipponyasan), hopefully will be up when Kagami and Kise go up whenever that happens this year or next. .

I need Syo in any utapri outfit and Cecil, still afraid he'll be some animate exclusive or something like the cleaning version of Levi and inaccessible to westerners...

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Awesome stuff AMUSIX, great set up and mix of characters, the whole things inspired.

I just saw Sideshow is finally putting the Queen of the Damned up for pre-order at the end of the month:

and that they are making A MOTHA FUCKIN' SNAKE PLISSKEN FIGURE up for pre-order next week:

AMUSIX

Awesome stuff AMUSIX, great set up and mix of characters, the whole things inspired.

I just saw Sideshow is finally putting the Queen of the Damned up for pre-order at the end of the month:
Oh, hey, and just when I was feeling like passing in Red Sonja was going to give me a break from buying any Sideshow for a while....

still...Sonja's tempting...
1x2O630.jpg

Oh, and this is the full Queen of the Dead:

If you have a big collection, it's best to display only a few of the items at a time. It allows each item to stand out more, and, because you can swap things regularly, it keeps it much more interesting for anyone viewing them.*

That is a good idea. I only have two detolfs at the moment. I'll be grabbing a third next month, but I don't really want to expand beyond that. So swapping figures out from there on is a good plan. It works since I always keep the packaging for my figures.

Jayhawk

Nice display area, AMUSIX.

I have started to put together my Besta-based display area. It's going to take a couple more weekends of work, but I'll post pictures when it's ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom