• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you believe him. Spending your hard earned money as quickly as it comes in can be a wonderful thing!

Remember:
MiDQhFk.jpg

1384990993521902_animate.gif

Man I was waiting for Figure GAF's version of this XD

So which GAFer has all those figures? I have (if Tharja is included/preordered figures) 4 out of 11

chrono01

1384990993521902_animate.gif

Man I was waiting for Figure GAF's version of this XD

So which GAFer has all those figures? I have (if Tharja is included/preordered figures) 4 out of 11
I have:

Melty
Olivia [pre-order]
Zero Suit Samus
Tharja [pre-order]
Kongiku
Makise Kurisu
Elf
Amazon [soon-to-be pre-order]
Momohime

We're closing in to 10,000 posts

Incredibly funny wall of shame soon =P

And looking at OP's previous wall..

What happened to SUPARSTARX!!!!

He's fell down the wall so much XD

I have:

Melty
Olivia [pre-order]
Zero Suit Samus
Tharja [pre-order]
Kongiku
Makise Kurisu
Elf
Amazon [soon-to-be pre-order]
Momohime
9 out of 11 anyone got Chrono01 beat =P
8.5 for Bombless

Bombless

With preorders, I have all but Makise, Catwoman and Melty (my mom has Xmax Melty though, it half counts!).

I wonder if a large aquarium works well as a display case..... Thinking about getting one for characters that I have/going to have a lot of (Aigis).

That would be an interesting sight...Do it!

kewlmyc

I wonder if a large aquarium works well as a display case..... Thinking about getting one for characters that I have/going to have a lot of (Aigis).

So my 1/6th Scale Darth Vader from Sideshow Toy arrived today. Its fucking brilliant. Huge assortment of hands, swap out portrait with Anakin's face sans mask and plenty of LED action including a light up saber, etc.

iJ5EyXixY7zJl.JPG

Some close-ups:

i6qsAY2ebCNsp.JPG

ibirLlEfreIlPd.JPG

A cool accessory to display the helmet in pieces:

iyXvvjRSJHa3f.JPG

One last shot next to the Sideshow 1/6th Scale Boba Fett:

ibjK0F7ktno3i3.JPG

Do we know which Tekken figurines are coming from Kotobukiya after Jun Kazama?

Dunno. According to gonk (Koto rep who posts over on Statue forum) the announcement is supposed to be coming at New York Toy Fair.

If we're counting pre-orders, I've got them all except for Bishoujo Catwoman and Kurisu. Go me.

RMI

Banned

As a former fish enthusiast (aquarist?) I don't know how great an aquarium would be. They tend to be heavy, open on top (unless you get a lid), and expensive (how big are we talking here?). If you have a shelf or other surface that could support an aquarium, you're better off just putting the figs on that surface and dusting them regularly.

Shelves/cabinets with glass doors are probably your best bet for cases, which is why people like detolfs so much.

Don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed...
No worries we are no where near the 7th place, you'll need to post 140 or so posts to catch up to DeadRockstar, we're in a tier of our own, although 10th place is Toki767 who has 50 posts fewer than us, so we're a different tier like I said XD
So my 1/6th Scale Darth Vader from Sideshow Toy arrived today. Its fucking brilliant. Huge assortment of hands, swap out portrait with Anakin's face sans mask and plenty of LED action including a light up saber, etc.

A cool accessory to display the helmet in pieces:

Looks really good, bet it costed a bit too?

Dunno. According to gonk (Koto rep who posts over on Statue forum) the announcement is supposed to be coming at New York Toy Fair.

If we're counting pre-orders, I've got them all except for Bishoujo Catwoman and Kurisu. Go me.

On the 10,000 post wall of shame, I should try and make a crown for you to place on your avatar that says "King of Figure GAF" for both figure wise and post XD

kewlmyc

As a former fish enthusiast (aquarist?) I don't know how great an aquarium would be. They tend to be heavy, open on top (unless you get a lid), and expensive (how big are we talking here?). If you have a shelf or other surface that could support an aquarium, you're better off just putting the figs on that surface and dusting them regularly.

Shelves/cabinets with glass doors are probably your best bet for cases, which is why people like detolfs so much.

Yeah, I have 3 Detolfs, but apparently they've been discontinued so I can't buy more. So to make more room, I was going to put my Aigis figures somewhere else. Was thinking of decent size glass containers that could fit about 6-7 1/8 figures and a fish tank came to mind. I might try to find a smaller glass cabinet at a furniture store if you say that aquariums are bad.

I knew I was at the top of that list. I didn't even have to check. XD
No ones got anything on you on this thread lol.
"All Hail King Freezasaurus"
XD

I really like how Darth Vader overall works perfectly as a statue or a pose-able figure

Where do you even find the Wall of Shame? I'm curious to see where I rank, although I could post more than I do. :/

You'll need to see the thread in the tab it is in "community offtopic" and click on the post count (works that way for all threads), I'll link you to it, you're in 2nd place.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah, I have 3 Detolfs, but apparently they've been discontinued so I can't buy more. So to make more room, I was going to put my Aigis figures somewhere else. Was thinking of decent size glass containers that could fit about 6-7 1/8 figures and a fish tank came to mind. I might try to find a smaller glass cabinet at a furniture store if you say that aquariums are bad.
No they haven't been discontinued. They're obviously having stock issues, but they are not discontinued. My local store currently has the black/brown ones in stock. They're out of the beech ones. A few weeks ago it was vice versa.

Every few years there's rumors that this is happening and it's never true.

RMI

Banned

They make aquariums in many sizes, but your choices are usually long, tall, or long and tall, and since there are no shelves built into the tall ones that's not great unless you can manufacture some way to put shelves in the tank. Long is fine but a big part of displaying a tank like that properly is having a good enclosure so that they don't look tacky/sloppy. Elevating them to a proper height requires some other piece of furniture, and there are a lot of shelves/stands made specifically for this but they can be pretty expensive also (mostly because they're designed to bear a lot of weight), and generally aren't worth it unless you're doing the whole fish thing.

I could be wrong, and it's possible that there's some great application for fish tanks as figure displays that i'm not thinking about, but that's my impression from dealing with fish tanks in the past.

kewlmyc

No they haven't been discontinued. They're obviously having stock issues, but they are not discontinued. My local store currently has the black/brown ones in stock. They're out of the beech ones. A few weeks ago it was vice versa.

So I drove all the way to Ohio for nothing.... Oh well, at least that means that I can get another one down the line.

Ryuuroden

Welp, lol at how this works out. I was trying to work out how I was going to have time to move into my new place in a week and boss calls and tells me he's going to have to lay us off till March cause the massive job we were to start next week got pushed back. So I will have plenty of time to move in now. I can also say I am glad all my pre-orders that come out in the next few months required me to pay when I ordered them. Money isn't going to be an issue as I plan for this shit happening but it still sucks and kinda hurts my big furniture plans till after work starts up again and I have no time again. When work starts up again I will be doing 60 plus hours a week again, out of state.

Plastikitty has (fucking horrid quality) January scans up. Pics include an Alter Gotou Matabe (didn't they already have one?), and a new Sansei Muramasa figure (!!!) from Amakuni.

And a pretty cool looking Naoe from Penguin Parade.

Man, as soon as my local Ikea gets more, I think I'll buy another two. Anything beyond that and I'll just end up swapping out figures from time to time. I don't want to be one of THOSE people.

Thanks! Second place, hmm? I will take it!

But wow, Freezasaurus. Wow. There's no way I'll catch up to you.

What can I say?

Something about everything, apparently. XD

So I drove all the way to Ohio for nothing.... Oh well, at least that means that I can get another one down the line.

Not necessarily. While they may not have been discontinued, they're like freakin' unicorns right now. I'm thinking of just going the Billy + Glass Door route at this point and just add LED strips and mirrors on the back panel (so you can see the enitre figure).

Not necessarily. While they may not have been discontinued, they're like freakin' unicorns right now. I'm thinking of just going the Billy + Glass Door route at this point and just add LED strips and mirrors on the back panel (so you can see the enitre figure).

I'm thinking about doing that as well. I'm just trying to figure out how many figures I can reasonably fit in one of those on average versus a detolf. It seems like the billy can fit more. If I can get 4 per shelf, x6 shelves, that adds up to more than you can get in a detolf.

I'm thinking about doing that as well. I'm just trying to figure out how many figures I can reasonably fit in one of those on average versus a detolf. It seems like the billy can fit more. If I can get 4 per shelf, x6 shelves, that adds up to more than you can get in a detolf.

4 per shelf on a Billy is conservative depending on the figures. Most of my larger stuff is in Detolfs admittedly, but I have a couple of Billy shelves with 7 on that are easily visible. Mostly 1/8s with some 1/7 and Junko.

4 per shelf on a Billy is conservative depending on the figures. Most of my larger stuff is in Detolfs admittedly, but I have a couple of Billy shelves with 7 on that are easily visible. Mostly 1/8s with some 1/7 and Junko.

I like the sound of that. I'm not crazy about having to buy glass doors at $50 a pop, but it sounds like a more efficient means of displaying figures.

RocBase

That looks boss as hell. SS stuff look especially impressive when they're in a collection I find, less so for JP figures. Not sure why.

kewlmyc

You'll cut the mirrors yourself?

oh my lord. I was just browsing bishoujos on Amazon, and Poison Ivy is going for over $200? I know it's trumped-up Amazon pricing silliness, but still. She was $75 when I bought her. I still think she's one of the best bishoujos.

Giolon

oh my lord. I was just browsing bishoujos on Amazon, and Poison Ivy is going for over $200? I know it's trumped-up Amazon pricing silliness, but still. She was $75 when I bought her. I still think she's one of the best bishoujos.

(Until Harley Quinn and Chun-li), she's one of my bigger disappointments of the line compared to the source art. They changed the direction her eyes are looking, which makes it harder to display her in an orientation that she's looking at the viewer, and her left eye in particular is so far rotated around to the side that it falls into the shadow of her hair unless you have a spotlight pointed directly at her face. Speaking of her hair, all of the freaking flowers from the source art are missing. So yeah, I give her a B. It'd be a C, but the tentacle monster base is an automatic +1.

Unfortunately I've got her opened b/c I used to have her on display. I need to find a new place for her.

Catwoman, however, I still have unopened.

johnsmith

remember me
I got her for $50. I don't really care for her. The face is off and she's one of the few bishoujos I don't have displayed.

Her and Harley were both big disappointments. Hopefully they'll try again.

(Until Chun-li), she's one of my bigger disappointments of the line compared to the source art. They changed the direction her eyes are looking, which makes it harder to display her in an orientation that she's looking at the viewer, and her left eye in particular is so far rotated around to the side that it falls into the shadow of her hair unless you have a spotlight pointed directly at her face. Speaking of her hair, all of the freaking flowers from the source art are missing. So yeah, I give her a B. It'd be a C, but the tentacle monster base is an automatic +1.

I can see what you're saying about the hair covering her left eye, and it's something I've noticed before. Though I didn't really have any issues displaying her. I just angled the right side of her base a bit further toward the back and she looks fine.

I got her for $50. I don't really care for her. The face is off and she's one of the few bishoujos I don't have displayed.

Her and Harley were both big disappointments. Hopefully they'll try again.

Harley I'm definitely not a fan of, thus the need for B&W Harley, but Ivy? Ya'll muthafuckas is crazy.

Luigi87

I agree with Freezasaurus, I freakin' love Ivy as she is.
... Harley, my favourite DC villainess, that was disappointing... (B&W Harley is SO GOOD though).

And I'm happy with my Huntress I have too. I should have also got Power Girl, dammit...

Dead ass? Everything for me honestly. Much preferred the final product to the source art. I didn't realize it was such an unpopular opinion.

I like the hammer, but I think my main issue with her is the face. It doesn't look quite right, and looks a bit too much like a generic porcelain doll face.

Giolon

What's wrong with the Harley bishoujo?

The face is terrible, IMO. Her nose looks like pinnochio. She's got pink eye. Her chin is extremely pointy. It looks nothing at all like the source Shunya artwork. The glossiness of her outfit is also done to a really cheap-looking level. The just-released Chun Li has most of the exact same problems with the face (she's going to arrive tomorrow, and I'll put some pictures up, but you can see some around the Japanese side of the net already). Somewhat unsurprisingly, they're done by the same sculptor.

It's really disappointing to me that they have this guy on the project, b/c next to derp faces like X-23, Chun Li, and Harley, you have the incredible Spider Woman, Power Girl, and Jaina Solo.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you like Harley and the other faces done by this sculptor, by no means am I trying to impugn your tastes. They just don't align with mine and they are not what I'm looking for when I'm purchasing a sculpt based on Yamashita Shunya's distinctive art work (even if he is only capable of drawing like 1 face XD).

RocBase

Oh no man! I have no beef with you guys dissing Harley, I was legit just curious to know the reasoning behind the unanimous panning since this is the first I'm reading about it.

And honestly I know I have really weird taste in general anyway.

meijiko

Miss out on the OG release of Nimue? Well, there's a re-color coming up for pre-order soon.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-004428&page=top

From the 27th (Japan time) at 6pm.

I'm not biting, but others might be interested.

Just saw this on Amiami. Damn, why do they keep doing recolors of all my witches? First Sigrid, then Melty, now Nimue. Thankfully I'm not fond of this colorway, otherwise I might've had to make a difficult decision.

Just saw this on Amiami. Damn, why do they keep doing recolors of all my witches? First Sigrid, then Melty, now Nimue. Thankfully I'm not fond of this colorway, otherwise I might've had to make a difficult decision.

I would complain about recolors as well, but it beats the alternative. Which, of course, is CHARGING TWO-HUNDRED MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS FOR BENTEN.

Want to see that bulge in your collection? Not if you're only willing to spend a measly $150, you won't. Want to know what that base is supposed to be that the log is protruding from? Why, it's THE GAPING HOLE IN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom