• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope SAL registered. I used to go by EMS for speed and insurance, but lately SAL has been taking 2 weeks max for delivery and no custom charges to date.

I refuse to give Parcel Force any more of my hard earned pounds >_<

Ah man, the customs office just likes you more than me then lol

I hear you about Parcelforce. The customs charges I get from EMS are always incorrect, and then you have the higher handing fee on top of that.

Here's a sculpt of Sorceress from Dragon's Crown [Alpha Max]:

iWf9weAxaPWaN.jpg

YES...

OH YES!!!!

looks like they just wanted to make them big and not natural looking. hopefully orchid seed does a better job. this one is a let-down (if they keep it like this).

RocBase

That sculpt is really ugly imo but "boobs!!11111" so I expect it'll sell fine.

Yeah, but then again I think the character design itself is ugly - and this goes for everyone else I've seen from that game, too. All their proportions look really silly? I'm a big fan of caricature in general but the designs in that game are a real miss to me.

More images from SDCC :D

Waaahhh, these are incredible must-haves! This is EXACTLY the kind of pinup I've been longing to have, everything about these is so perfect I almost can't believe. Who's making these and where will they be available for order?

Yeah, but then again I think the character design itself is ugly - and this goes for everyone else I've seen from that game, too. All their proportions look really silly? I'm a big fan of caricature in general but the designs in that game are a real miss to me.

Waaahhh, these are incredible must-haves! This is EXACTLY the kind of pinup I've been longing to have, everything about these is so perfect I almost can't believe. Who's making these and where will they be available for order?

They're comiquettes by Sideshow(https://www.sideshowtoy.com/) and "soon" is the best release info we have. I'll be buying both as well. If you like the design look up J. Scott Campbell whose work they're based on. First comic book I ever bought was Danger Girl drawn by him.

I agree about the Dragon's Crown as well. I much prefer Odin Sphere and Muramasa's designs. Velvet and Momohime are great figures.

sca2511

I really like that MJ and Gwen. I know a lot of people on GAF dislike Campbell, seems like many of his girls look alike and I agree to some extent, at least from what I've seen. I do enjoy looking at his renditions of MJ, Gwen, and Black Cat though. The only other MJ that I've wanted was the one by Adam Hughes where she's washing Spidey's outfit and I can't find any other decent Gwen. Let us know when pre-orders are up!

RocBase

They're comiquettes by Sideshow(https://www.sideshowtoy.com/) and "soon" is the best release info we have. I'll be buying both as well. If you like the design look up J. Scott Campbell whose work they're based on. First comic book I ever bought was Danger Girl drawn by him.

I agree about the Dragon's Crown as well. I much prefer Odin Sphere and Muramasa's designs. Velvet and Momohime are great figures.

Amazing! Cheers.
Exactly, agree on all accounts. The Velvet and Momohime figures really are great although I did pass up on both of them (and kinda regret it) but I'm content enough with just Gwendolyn.

I really like that MJ and Gwen. I know a lot of people on GAF dislike Campbell, seems like many of his girls look alike and I agree to some extent, at least from what I've seen. I do enjoy looking at his renditions of MJ, Gwen, and Black Cat though. The only other MJ that I've wanted was the one by Adam Hughes where she's washing Spidey's outfit and I can't find any other decent Gwen. Let us know when pre-orders are up!
Bruce Timm's ladies all look the same minus hair and color swaps, but they're still gorgeous. The same could be said for a lot of anime artist styles.

Nope SAL registered. I used to go by EMS for speed and insurance, but lately SAL has been taking 2 weeks max for delivery and no custom charges to date.

I refuse to give Parcel Force any more of my hard earned pounds >_<

I hear you about Parcelforce. The customs charges I get from EMS are always incorrect, and then you have the higher handing fee on top of that.

Fuck Parcel force and their "special" custom charges >=(

ptown

So with some of you guys collecting figures and statues for a while, what are some names that you've found to make really good quality stuff ("grails" especially) and names whose products you avoid for some reason or another?

I haven't been collecting much for very long, but for me, when it comes to posable/jointed figures, on the high end side, Hot Toys seems to be pretty big especially for anything Western move related (I have their Joker 2.0 figure). For smaller posable action-figurey figures, I've been drawn to Figmas for some reason. I find the joints on their figures to be overall inconspicuous and the characters looking spot on (I'm really liking and looking forward to any Nintendo figmas e.g. Marth). One name I avoid is Play Arts Kai. I've seen some pictures and the faces often look off, but the most jarring thing to me are those knee joints...

Max Factory has almost always left a good impression on me early on. Some old Kinu Nishimura inspired fighting game statues of Morrigan and Mai Shiranui caught my attention in the past. The last statue I've purchased from them was Zero Suit Samus and is on "grail" level for me (probably a good deal due to not seeing many Nintendo related stuff). I also have Tharja pre-ordered.

With a potential barrage of Dragon's Crown stuff coming out, some names to watch for and some names to avoid may help me make better decisions (though I'll probably end up getting them all...)

cajunator

Banned
So with some of you guys collecting figures and statues for a while, what are some names that you've found to make really good quality stuff ("grails" especially) and names whose products you avoid for some reason or another?

I haven't been collecting much for very long, but for me, when it comes to posable/jointed figures, on the high end side, Hot Toys seems to be pretty big especially for anything Western move related (I have their Joker 2.0 figure). For smaller posable action-figurey figures, I've been drawn to Figmas for some reason. I find the joints on their figures to be overall inconspicuous and the characters looking spot on (I'm really liking and looking forward to any Nintendo figmas e.g. Marth). One name I avoid is Play Arts Kai. I've seen some pictures and the faces often look off, but the most jarring thing to me are those knee joints...

Max Factory has almost always left a good impression on me early on. Some old Kinu Nishimura inspired fighting game statues of Morrigan and Mai Shiranui caught my attention in the past. The last statue I've purchased from them was Zero Suit Samus and is on "grail" level for me (probably a good deal due to not seeing many Nintendo related stuff). I also have Tharja pre-ordered.

With a potential barrage of Dragon's Crown stuff coming out, some names to watch for and some names to avoid may help me make better decisions (though I'll probably end up getting them all...)

I only collect anime figures so my most trusted brands are Good Smile Co, Kotobukiya, and Alter. I also have some stuff by CM's company (gutto kuru), Max factory, and Plum.

Oh snap a figure thread! Hmm guess I'm on the gaming side to much even though I don't post a lot.

Anyway right now I just really collect P.O.P.s for the series One Piece as its my favorite manga. I curently have 37 of them.

I also have 2 marvel bishuojo statues Rogue and Psylocke. I kinda regret buying these statues as it kinda made me feel I should buy the whole lot, but I just stopped because collecting Pops is expensive enough.

I also have a kos-mos 1/6 swimsuit statue by alter. I shouldn't have bought this figure either, but whatever I'm a fan of Xenosaga.

Lastly I have two more one piece statues not pops. Both boa hancock. First Purple dress with snake from figurearts. Only figure I have from this line, probably wont buy anymore, and finally the banpresto Boa Hancock, with Salome. SQ figure.

As for whats on my radar now. Next figure I get will proably be the NW Franky POP. To complete the NW crew. After that I dunno.

Maybe I'll post some pics later or one day lol, Im lazy.

I don't dare watch One Piece. I own a bunch of it but it seems like such an undertaking at this point. What if it's awesome? There's like a billion episodes/volumes. Rabbit Hole.

In addition to Hot Toys, Sideshow are the other western no brainer. They produce both poseable figures and statues.

For JP stuff. You're right on with Max Factory, they're probably my favourite manufacturer right now. I agree with the ones Cajun mentioned and would add Yamato/Arcadia to that list. They put out most of Yoshizawa Mitsumasa's sculpts and have made a lot of my favourite figures. Sentinel are good if you like mechs.

Megahouse have produced some bad production pieces recently, so wait for reviews on their stuff. The P.O.P. figures mentioned above are the exception there. For whatever reason(popularity?) they don't screw those up. The quality of Griffon figures typically doesn't match the price they charge, and I usually don't like their versions of characters either. You mentioned Play Arts, but I'm already too mean to them so I'll shut up for now :p

Torraz

Here for SAL you get charged customs. For EMS you get charged customs + an extra charge, which is a bit less than customs charges for 1 figure...

Thus, very much appreciating NY etc.

LiK

Not figure related but I ordered a game from Nippon Yasan and for some reason it was chosen as Ferry even tho I had remembered I chose FedEx. Well, It's been a month and still nothing. I emailed them and they said it takes TWO months so it should be here next month. Ridiculous. Don't click on Ferry in their site by accident no matter what.

Vertex making good picks. I might buy a good JP Tinkerbell.

Also, check this shit out:

That is some beast mode sculpting work. Full gallery here. There's a Mega Man in there too, but the post was long enough as it is.

Those are all kits by Erick Sosa from his Prototypez studio. They aren't pre-painted. Ryu and Sagat are already out and Blanka is coming soon

Here's my Atelier Meruru 1/8

Excuse my photography skills and my old camera. Better than my phone though.

I just love the pattern on her cuffs and collar. She is super colourful and really stands out when I put her with the rest of my figures.

Here's my Atelier Meruru 1/8

Excuse my photography skills and my old camera. Better than my phone though.

I just love the pattern on her cuffs and collar. She is super colourful and really stands out when I put her with the rest of my figures.

Her colours are really nice. It could have easily looked garish, but doesn't at all. The windswept hair and cape are great too.

I think it's good to have some fun and lighthearted figures amongst the more dramatic ones. That's one of the reasons I like the GSC Princess of the Crystal I just got. Her design is fun and silly, and her silhouette stands out in a display with my other figures.

chrono01

Pretty sure half the reason Dragon's Crown exists is to make figures/statues.
Don't forget Doujinshi!

Er, not that I'd know anything about that, of course. Perish the thought!

*chrono01 shifts his eyeballs around the room before exiting through the nearest window*

My top three favorite figure manufacturers would have to be:

- Orchid Seed

I feel safe purchasing any and all figures from those three, as the quality of the end-product will always be insanely high. Good Smile Company, Phat Company, Alpha Max, and Kotobukiya also produce great figures, but not quite on the same level as the former three [in my opinion]..

I was hesitant to include GSC in the top three since their newer releases aren't quite up to the same quality as those in the past, although they are improving. They seem to do better with exclusives, but standard releases can have some quality control issues. It varies, but even with these faults, they're a pretty safe manufacturer to go with.

Phat Company/Alpha Max release some really great stuff, and are often one of the few manufacturers that will deal with a certain license [such as Phat Company with Senran Kagura]. Their quality is definitely passable, and of all of the ones I own I haven't seen any outstanding flaws on them. I feel safe pre-ordering figures from these two.

Kotobukiya is another great manufacturer. They sometimes have painting issues, but generally, all of their products are great. Take, for example, their most recent Asuka Langely. Many say it's the best Asuka figure yet [that tsundere face!], and I feel obliged to agree. They captured her personality perfectly, and at 1/6 scale no less! Their upcoming Daisy-chan looks like perfection captured in figure-form, and if they can pull it off, will surely be one of the standouts in anyone's collection. Kotobukiya releases tend to sell out a lot faster than other manufacturers, though, so if you're interested in a particular figure, it's best to pre-order as soon as possible.

I collect One Piece figures from Megahouse [as well as the odd Queen's Blade] and definitely have no complaints. I've heard their other stuff can vary in-quality, though, so definitely be careful about pre-ordering any/everything from them. I personally feel that One Piece figures are a pretty safe bet, though. That's basically their bread-and-butter franchise.

I'll add Native to this, as well. They tend to deal with the more..."risqué" figures, but the limited nature [as well as the level of quality in the end-product] make their releases high in-demand. Their latest sculpts haven't quite been on the same upper-tier as their previous, but Cat Lap Milk looks incredible and I'm sure they have a lot more in the planning stages.

OMGWTF, why are there so many companies making Dragon's Crown figures?!

I really like that MJ and Gwen. I know a lot of people on GAF dislike Campbell, seems like many of his girls look alike and I agree to some extent, at least from what I've seen.

Ever see any of Milo Manara's work? Amazing artist, same problem. Probably even to a bigger extent than Campbell.

I don't dare watch One Piece. I own a bunch of it but it seems like such an undertaking at this point. What if it's awesome? There's like a billion episodes/volumes. Rabbit Hole.

Same. I mean, the manga is 70 volumes in at this point. I have a friend that fucking loves One Piece, but it would take me six months to catch up with the story if I started reading it today. I may pick up One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 for PS3 when it comes out, but that would be where the line is drawn.

So, now that we know Ultron is the villain in Avengers 2, I can't help but imagine that Hot Toys.

That and Chris Pratt Star Lord!

Groot/Rocket two pack please.

dreamfall

New-ish to this thread, completely in awe of lurking from the last.

Been on a huge DOA kick of late. Is it wrong to hope that Yamashita does a DOA collab, much like the Tekken Bishoujo line? Would that ever happen?

I wasn't really keen on his Kasumi figures, but damn, I'd kill for something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom